Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Consumer Rights > Delivery rights: Play.com (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Delivery rights: Play.com
Closed Thread
Views: 9,879
# 1
Former MSE Rose
Old 25-11-2011, 4:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Delivery rights: Play.com

Hi all, this discussion thread's part of the Delivery Rights guide, specifically for if you've complained to Play.com about delivery problems using the techniques in the guide.

Please tell us how you got on - we want to know if you were awarded any compensation from Play.com, and if so, how much? Just let us know the amount and reason below; to add more general feedback on the guide, pop over to the main Delivery Rights discussion thread.

Thanks
for your help,

MSE Rose

# 2
neocorps
Old 16-12-2011, 11:44 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I have recently purchased two items from play.com and had selected express delivery, however they failed to deliver the items next day and it eventually took 3 working days. So I contacted Play and used the tactics in this tutorial. Here are the emails and replies, I'll remove the sensitive information obviously.

Please note I don't have the first email as it was filled in over Play.com and I didn't save it, but I have the rest. The first was basically me stating I hadn't received the package and that I was looking for a refund the delivery costs, the sum of 4.99..

First Reply

Quote:
Dear [Removed],

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately your order has started to process and we are unable to cancel your ordered for Skullcandy 2010 Earbuds / Headphones INK'D SC-Marvel Comic Inside Print Wallet. If you will no longer require your order by the time you are able to collect it then please follow the instructions below on how to return your item in and to help us process your return as quickly as possible.

Your returns authorisation is [Removed]

Please return the unopened item to us at the address below:

[Removed Address]

Print out a copy of this Returns Authorisation e-mail and include it alongside the original invoice.If you do not have access to a printer please include a covering note stating your personal Returns Authorisation Number located at the top of this e-mail.

We request that you return the item to us in secure packaging. Please keep your postage receipt as proof of returning your item. A standard postage refund will be issued however should it be more please contact us with a postage receipt.

When returning a product with several components such as electronic items, it is necessary to ensure that all of the components/accessories are returned as any incomplete returns will not be processed.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you and thank you for your patience and valued custom.

Kind Regards,

Customer Support Team
Play.com
Second Emails

Quote:
Play.com

I request that you write me a personal email as oppose to an automated message and that it be from the highest authority available.

Again I would like to emphasise the fact that my orders is now 2 days late and I have yet to receive any justification for this situation. I have purchased multiple items and selected Express Delivery.

Your delivery policy states that if an order is purchased before the "cut off time" and my debit is charged successfully, then the item will arrive next working day. My orders now haven't after two working days!

By purchasing these two products from play.com, I have entered a contract with you, the seller. By failing to deliver my items in the time you specified, you have broken this contract. I am asking only that you refund me for the delivery costs of these products, which is 4.99. I wish not to speak of "Consequential loss" on my behalf, and wish this matter to be brought to an end immediately after receiving a refund for the delivery cost.

If you fail to acknowledge my email personally and do not refund me for my loss of time (the sum of 4.99 for Express Delivery), I will take this matter to my solicitor for legal advice.

I hope we can resolve this matter swiftly.

[removed] - My name
Second Reply

Quote:
Dear [Removed],

Thank you for your email.

We are sorry to hear that you have not yet received your orders for Skullcandy 2010 Earbuds / Headphones INK'D SC and Marvel Comic Inside Print Wallet.

We have refunded the delivery cost of the items and will be visible on your account within 3-5 banking days.

Please contact us again if you do not receive your order until tomorrow (17/12/11) so that we can assist you in processing a claim form. You may notify us through the website by following this link:

[Nubs can't post links]

Alternatively please contact our Customer Service Team on 0845 800 1020 (UK only) or +44 (0)1534 877 595 (outside UK). Our opening hours are 9am - 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am - 5pm Saturday and Sunday.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you and thank you for your patience and valued custom.

Kind Regards,

Customer Support Team
Play.com
Thanks for the guide,

Neocorps
# 3
Scarpacci
Old 16-12-2011, 12:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I also tried their Express Delivery service on a order and they didn't deliver by the due date. One of the items came one day late and the other arrived two days later. I e-mailed after the first one arrived and before the second one did, saying neither item was actually delivered on the promised date and asked whether they would refund the delivery service. When they replied they did indeed just refund the express charge, so the customer service wasn't bad at all.
# 4
B0ssman
Old 21-12-2011, 4:09 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have also paid for express delivery and 2 days later I'm still waiting! Although they have offered to refund the delivery charge I still don't think this is enough. All they're saying is that delivery will be "sometime this week" How anyone can think that is acceptable I'll never know!
# 5
kazzah60
Old 21-12-2011, 4:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I too paid for express delivery - got an e mail confirming delivery of item on 9th December
9th december came- got another e mail confirming item had been dispatched on 9th December
item finally arrived 13th december
after 4 phone calls they agreed to refund the cost of the express delivery - I am still waiting to receive the refund!
# 6
Mark Hewitt
Old 21-12-2011, 4:53 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

One of the biggest scams IMO where you pay for "Next day delivery" but they take 2 days to send it out! If you choose next day I expect it to be with me the next day.
# 7
nomoneytoday
Old 22-12-2011, 1:30 PM

AFAIK play.com are in Jersey, and owned by a Japanese company.
Therefore they wouldn't be covered under English Laws. However, that doesn't absolve the delivery issues above IMHO.
# 8
linda gordon
Old 22-12-2011, 3:01 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Unhappy play.com

Ordered Christmas present 18th December (express delivery), advised delivery date 20th inst. We are now at the 22nd and SEVERAL E-MAILS LATER (gave up phoning) and still no correspondence or parcel. The most annoying thing is that I ordered goods from Tesco and Amazon the same date and they have arrived (no express delivery required).
In my experience companies with a poor record of customer care are very badly managed and need a new injection of people that care enough to make the company work.
# 9
arcon5
Old 22-12-2011, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neocorps View Post
Quote:
By purchasing these two products from play.com, I have entered a contract with you, the seller. By failing to deliver my items in the time you specified, you have broken this contract. I am asking only that you refund me for the delivery costs of these products, which is 4.99. I wish not to speak of "Consequential loss" on my behalf, and wish this matter to be brought to an end immediately after receiving a refund for the delivery cost.

If you fail to acknowledge my email personally and do not refund me for my loss of time (the sum of 4.99 for Express Delivery), I will take this matter to my solicitor for legal advice.
If your going to claim compensation atleast make it realistic, threatening to get solicitors involved over your request for the 4.99 refunded is clearly an empty threat.

What consequential losses have your incurred? As I assume you did not have to take additional days of work but chose to as to receive goods without arranging a redelivery on a day you have off?
# 10
arcon5
Old 22-12-2011, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0ssman View Post
I have also paid for express delivery and 2 days later I'm still waiting! Although they have offered to refund the delivery charge I still don't think this is enough. All they're saying is that delivery will be "sometime this week" How anyone can think that is acceptable I'll never know!
Well what would you accept? I think it is completely acceptable to refund the delivery charge in these cirumstances! You seem to be forgetting that Christmas is in days and the couriers/postal system will be booming!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hewitt View Post
One of the biggest scams IMO where you pay for "Next day delivery" but they take 2 days to send it out! If you choose next day I expect it to be with me the next day.
If you order goods and request them sent next working day then you expect them to arrive the day after they was dispatched -- you would need to look into the companies policies to see what their lead time is.

Most companies clearly state cut-off times & lead times anyway and most orders I imagine will be fulfilled successfully.
# 11
Nine_Lives
Old 22-12-2011, 8:00 PM

I've had a so-so experience of play.com

I had 1 faulty item which they weren't interested in & told me my issue was with Logitech & not them. This may be true or not i don't know. Logitech thankfully sorted it & were probably the most helpful company i've ever dealt with, going not just the extra mile, but the extra 10 mile!!

As for their delivery service, if i want something in a hurry i NEVER buy from Play.com, they're so slow!!
# 12
nomoneytoday
Old 23-12-2011, 12:33 PM

To counter some of the above. I ordered some DVDs last Saturday, with standard delivery.
They have all turned up Wed and Thursday
# 13
DWatts
Old 23-12-2011, 1:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Interesting to see other people having similar problems with Play. Luckily, mine turned out very well.

I ordered some headphones on the 8th of December (Thursday). I chose free delivery which is 3-5 working days. The order (immediately) changed to 'processing in warehouse' so I could not cancel, and stayed that way until the 15th. I eventually found a contact e-mail and requested an update on my order, stating it had been 5 days and since it had not been dispatched yet, there was no way it would be delivered within the promised 3-5 working days. I requested that they send the item 1st class as a gesture of good will.

The item was marked as dispatched the next day and I got an e-mail later saying the item had been shipped, so no further action was required on their part. I received the headphones the next Monday, but strangely it did not have an invoice inside. Then I received another pair Tuesday with a full invoice. I'm guessing the person who received my e-mail got the warehouse to ship a pair to me, but did not indicate that on the order, so I got sent another one when the order actually went through. Both were sent 1st class in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_P83 View Post
As for their delivery service, if i want something in a hurry i NEVER buy from Play.com, they're so slow!!
It's such a shame because when they first started their delivery service was excellent. As they've got bigger they've gone absolutely downhill.
# 14
neocorps
Old 02-01-2012, 1:06 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcon5 View Post
If your going to claim compensation atleast make it realistic, threatening to get solicitors involved over your request for the 4.99 refunded is clearly an empty threat.

What consequential losses have your incurred? As I assume you did not have to take additional days of work but chose to as to receive goods without arranging a redelivery on a day you have off?
How do you know if I did or did not take a day off work for the original day the package was meant to arrive? My claim was valid. If I wanted to take the matter further then yes, I could pursue the amount I lost for 1 days work and the "emotional stress" incurred also.

Someone previously said that play.com is very slow, its true they are. Don't use their express delivery, its just not worth it. To be honest, chasing after 4.99 was daunting and something I really don't want to do again. So I'll keep to the free delivery for now.
The Following User Says Thank You to neocorps For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
arcon5
Old 02-01-2012, 9:02 AM

Quote:
How do you know if I did or did not take a day off work for the original day the package was meant to arrive? My claim was valid. If I wanted to take the matter further then yes, I could pursue the amount I lost for 1 days work
Whether they breached the contract or not, you would be taking this day off work, by choice! So the fact they have not fulfilled the contract in relation to delivery time does not put you at a further loss for that day and is therefore not 'consequential loss'.

Quote:
and the "emotional stress" incurred also.
Well now your just being ridiculous.
# 16
arcon5
Old 02-01-2012, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfh2012 View Post
This thread is inviting people to recount their experiences regarding experiences of play.com. So there is no need to be judgemental when people have responded and provided their experiences. If they had started this thread as a rant, it would have been a different matter.
It's also a discussion forum and in the public domain whereby anybody can offer their opinion or advice. If you don't like that, then your in the wrong place.

As the saying goes.. if you don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen!
# 17
arcon5
Old 02-01-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfh2012 View Post
Fine. If it makes you happy and satisfied to do that, then do carry on !
To do what exactly..

These types of responses generally come from people who aren't people told what they want to hear.
# 18
neocorps
Old 02-01-2012, 1:37 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Whether they breached the contract or not, you would be taking this day off work, by choice! So the fact they have not fulfilled the contract in relation to delivery time does not put you at a further loss for that day and is therefore not 'consequential loss'.

Well now your just being ridiculous.
Did you read the article?

Quote:
It's possible to get compensation for extra time off work, additional costs, and even inconvenience and distress caused by late delivery problems. Of course, we're not talking about when you stay in hoping the delivery may turn up, but when a delivery or installation's been booked for a certain day and you've arranged to be in specifically to receive it.
I might be reading this wrong, but it seems that if play.com states that delivery will be the next working day, and it doesn't come, then they have failed to deliver on that booked date. To then fail to deliver the parcel two working days later also seems to be a valid claim if you need to sign for this parcel...

Yes emotional stress is ridiculous, but that just about explains the entire law system. Ridiculous.
# 19
arcon5
Old 02-01-2012, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Did you read the article?
Unfortunately yes -- and I think it shames MSE. (Either that or aspects are being taken out on the context intended in which case just poorly written).

Quote:
I might be reading this wrong, but it seems that if play.com states that delivery will be the next working day, and it doesn't come, then they have failed to deliver on that booked date. To then fail to deliver the parcel two working days later also seems to be a valid claim if you need to sign for this parcel...
Play didn't fail to deliver, the courier company did. It's just play.com are rightfully responsible for the actions of the third party.

To take 2 extra days to deliver a parcel containing luxury items is NOT a valid complaint for emotional distress! And if such an immaterial problem causes such, i'd hate to see how these people would hand 'real' problems in life!

If your referring to the compensation for the second day off work then the question stands, did you HAVE to take this second day off? Most of the time it would be a no -- you could rebook delivery for a more convenient day and therefore mitigating your losses. It's just most people are impatient and desire their parcel sooner rather than later.
This aspect of the article is only somewhat valid IMO if it involves large and bulky items (suchas kitchen appliances) or important parcels (for example, medication required to be taken immediately).

Quote:
Yes emotional stress is ridiculous, but that just about explains the entire law system. Ridiculous.
It also sums up an aspect of society that needs to change.

Last edited by arcon5; 02-01-2012 at 1:51 PM.
# 20
neocorps
Old 02-01-2012, 2:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Unfortunately yes -- and I think it shames MSE. (Either that or aspects are being taken out on the context intended in which case just poorly written).

Play didn't fail to deliver, the courier company did. It's just play.com are rightfully responsible for the actions of the third party.

To take 2 extra days to deliver a parcel containing luxury items is NOT a valid complaint for emotional distress! And if such an immaterial problem causes such, i'd hate to see how these people would hand 'real' problems in life!

If your referring to the compensation for the second day off work then the question stands, did you HAVE to take this second day off? Most of the time it would be a no -- you could rebook delivery for a more convenient day and therefore mitigating your losses. It's just most people are impatient and desire their parcel sooner rather than later.
This aspect of the article is only somewhat valid IMO if it involves large and bulky items (suchas kitchen appliances) or important parcels (for example, medication required to be taken immediately).

It also sums up an aspect of society that needs to change.
Yes, it seems you are right actually. Like you said, perhaps the article is aimed at larger items and medication. Through it should be clearly stated.

Through I have to say you do need to take them additional days off work. Maybe not during the year because you can risk the parcel bouncing but around Christmas you can't take that chance.

Yes the entire compensation system needs reforming, its still good to use it as leverage if you only intend to pursue a small refund only.
The Following User Says Thank You to neocorps For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread