Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Local MoneySaving > N. Ireland > Harveys Furniture - Nightmares (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Harveys Furniture - Nightmares
Views: 139,938
# 21
millers
Old 17-01-2007, 7:43 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I work in a harveys store and feel very sad to here about complaints as the majority of customers are very happy with their purchases. Which is my following point, people dont phone or email when they are happy its the minority of people that complain bitterly for want of a better word. I have a mortgage and a family to support and when i see watchdog and read posts on the net then it worries me. Harveys is not the only furniture retailer that has had bad press and it will blow over but afterall, customers are given discounts and help where possible and all delivery dates are approximate as there are many variables. We live in a society today where people want things cheap and quick like fast food and to honour the cheapness many things are made abroad but take time, quality in this country comes at a price and even then demand can outstrip supply.
have a thought for the sales staff who work many late nights sometimes 7 days a week and even bank hollidays. I personally have had only 2 days off since boxing day because of the peak in trade.
Be reasonable and polite and we will try our best.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to millers For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
marcowil
Old 19-01-2007, 7:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Sorry millers but your comments are wrong. No-one is actually complaining about sales staff - they are complaining about a lack of good customer service. If a customer receives a discount they are still entitled to the same level of customer service as someone who is paying the full (over)price for an item.

Everyone on here is mostly complaining about bad workmanship, faulty goods and poor customer service standards. It's only because these people complain (and tell others) that a company will actually look at its procedures and maybe provide a decent service, including training their staff better!

There is no excuse for poor customer service. I agree that if you pay for cheap goods then you should not expect them to last BUT a lot of the goods being discussed are not cheap and should at the very least (to quote Sale of Goods) be "fit for the purpose for which they are intended".
The Daily Mail
Tagline - "Why let the truth get in the way of a story to incense Middle England"

Last edited by marcowil; 19-01-2007 at 7:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to marcowil For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 23
SuzanneJ
Old 20-02-2007, 5:52 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Harveys Furniture

Having decided to buy new bedroom furniture I checked a number of websites to compare price, style etc. I visited MFI and Glasswells and costed out what I wanted. I had worked out what I wanted from MFI's website but when I found out about all the necessary extras the items came to much more than I had anticipated so I decided to do some more research. I liked Glasswells but couldn't get the items I wanted in the sizes that would fit in my bedroom and found there wasn't a lot of choice in size variations of wardrobes, chests, bedsides etc.
I ended up checking Harveys, looked at the website, read the forums and watched them being slated on Watchdog but decided to take a look anyway to see what the quality was like as it all seemed very cheap compared to all the other furniture I had looked at. I expected something like B&Q or Focus quality but on New Year's Day didn't really have much else to do so off I went.
I was taken aback with the quality, choice and availability of the items I wanted in sizes that would be ideal for me to get maximum storage and not clutter up the bedroom so I took a chance and ordered, keeping my fingers crossed as there would be no-one but myself to blame if it all ended in tears.
This morning my bedroom furniture arrived - right on time, the packaging and care in protecting all the delicate corners, glass etc is better than I have ever come across before. The items are German, always a sign of quality and all the bits and pieces - handles, hinges, fittings the very best quality we have ever seen (No plastic anywhere!)
Altogether we are unbelievable impressed with it all, delighted with how it is looking (my husband is assembling the last item, a mirror wardrobe as I type this) and stunned that we have 2 large wardrobes, 2 5 drawer chests and 2 bedside cabinets for less than one wardrobe at MFI and in a quality that is every bit as good - if not better - than MFI.
I will not hesitate to recommend Harverys and will certainly purchase from them again.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuzanneJ For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
Disgruntled
Old 04-04-2007, 11:38 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Harvey's don't care and are rubbish

We spent over two thousandm pounds on a dining table and coffee table, these were delivered in October. The coffee & dining table were damaged in transit, and we were told by Harveys they would replace them. Its April 2007, and nothings happened. No one returns your calls and head office are as rubbish as the Wembley store.

Save yourself a lot of hassle and grief DO NOT BUY ANYTHING fron Harveys. They will rip you off once they get your money
The Following User Says Thank You to Disgruntled For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
teecee90
Old 07-04-2007, 10:31 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Every time I see all the adverts for Harveys on the TV at the moment it makes me sick to my stomach. How on earth is this company still trading? They should invest some of their advertising budget in decent staff training and customer service. Then again, that wouldn't attract more customer to be ripped off by their shabby products and absolutely shocking service.

I repeat......

NEVER EVER EVER BUY ANYTHING FROM HARVEYS........
The Following User Says Thank You to teecee90 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 26
ladyofthehouse
Old 19-05-2007, 5:41 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I bought 3 and 2 seater sofa off Harveys i Aintree, Liverpool. The suite was delivered and owing to an awkwardly shaped porch, was bought round the side of the house and into the lounge through the back of the house . Both the front and back doors to the house were wide open..on a particularly windy day. The deliverymen were excellent and they unwrapped both the suites and took the rubbish away with them. I shut the doors and then the smell hit me. They smelt like either rotting mushrooms or potatoes. I asked a neighbour to come in and she verified that the smell was really bad....like furniture that had been in flood...old, damp and very musty. I contacted Harveys and was told that it was "just the glue drying out" I should wait 10 days and it would be gone. I contacted consumer advice who suggested I write a letter outlining my complaint and send it registered post. I did this immediatly, requesting that a member of harveys ome to my home to smell the suites. In the meantime...any dampness was slowly drying with the central heating. I went to the store and spoke to the manager on the 10thday. He assured me that a member of their home care team would contact me to arrange a visit. He also said that lots of people complained about unusual smells like rotting fish on new furniture such ! I contacted several different upholsterers across the UK and asked them about the smell. Each one said the same thing....there should be no smell at all. That new pva glues didn't smell and it sounded as though the furniture hadeither been stoed in damp condtions or a damp bolt of cloth had been used. I waited and waited and then gave up. I bought a cheap 3 piece suite from SCS which is perfect and smell free. The old suite is going on the tip. DO NOT BUY FROM HARVEYS.
The Following User Says Thank You to ladyofthehouse For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 27
LilMissEmmylou
Old 20-05-2007, 12:26 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

dont tip it - freecycle it somebody may want it despite the manky smell, perhaps to recover or something. Reading this thread makes me glad i bought from DFS however rather p*ssed at the fact the scotch protection is already on the sofas as i paid £200 for it!!!! never again - thanks for the tip
The Following User Says Thank You to LilMissEmmylou For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 28
problemsproblems
Old 28-05-2007, 4:42 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I bought a wardrobe and a display cabinet from there,after 4 months I received the wardrobe, which had crumbled to pieces after a year,the wardrobe however was promised to be delivered initially within 4 months ,it didn't come. later another 6 months,then another few months,then theyeventually told us they don't have it.........????????
The Following User Says Thank You to problemsproblems For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 29
Robothell
Old 29-05-2007, 10:24 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Cheer up Millers

At the risk of being Devil's advocate here.....

I bought a suite of furniture from Harvey's store in Lisburn about 4 years ago. I found the customer service excellent (although the sales rep did repeatedly try to sell my the extended warranty on the sofa with the usual horror sotries until I said "I would hope you're not trying to sell me a sofa that's going to fall apart in less than 5 years.....surely that would be covered by statuatory rights?"). The suite was ordered mid-November and I was told it would not be there until the second week of January, however I was really pleased that it arrived in the third week of December in time for Christmas.

I personally would and have recommended Harveys to people. I've heard just as many horror stories from DFS (a friend is still waiting for a replacement for her damaged sofa 3 years after paying for it), MFI / Sofa Workshop and even more about Starplan.

Is it just me or have most people had bad experience with Harveys store across the water? They certainly are making up the bulk of the posts on the Northern Ireland board.
Life in this world is, as it were, a sojourn in a cave. What can we know of reality? For all we can see of the true nature of existence is, shall we say, no more than bewildering and amusing shadows cast upon the inner wall of the cave by the unseen blinding light of absolute truth, from which we may or may not deduce some glimmer of veracity, and we as troglodyte seekers of wisdom can only lift our voices to the unseen and say humbly "Go on, do deformed rabbit again.....it's my favourite". Terry Pratchett in "Small Gods"

Founder member of the Barry Scott Appreciation Society
# 30
haymans74
Old 07-06-2007, 9:28 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I'm having absolute HELL with Harveys.

Quick run down:

Bought sofabed which was delivered in June 2006.
December 2006 sofabed broke - reported it to the store
January 2007 - repair man looks at sofa
March 2007 - STILL no response from store. Call them repeatedly saying that the sofabed is not fit for purpose and get fobbed off. Husband finds name of one of the Directors of Harveys, calls them and the store calls us back immediately to say we can have a replacement sofa and to come into the store to pick one - which we do.
June 2007 - Still have broken sofabed sitting in our living room. We're told by Harveys we're not allowed to dispose of it, because they want it back, even though it's totally bloomin' useless! So we've had a sofa we can't sit on for six bloomin months. New sofa due to be delivered between 11 am and 2pm on 2nd of June never showed up. Have totally totally had enough now. Have sent them repeated emails asking for a full refund and no reply. Keep getting their distribution centre ringing asking when they can now deliver.

WE DON'T WANT IT. We want our money back! What are the chances do you reckon?

You can read a bit more about it here (feel free to add your comments and experiences!):
http://wedlog.typepad.com/wedlog/200...veys_hell.html
# 31
TILLEY
Old 09-07-2007, 1:07 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs down harveys lack of customer service and delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by millers View Post
I work in a harveys store and feel very sad to here about complaints as the majority of customers are very happy with their purchases. Which is my following point, people dont phone or email when they are happy its the minority of people that complain bitterly for want of a better word. I have a mortgage and a family to support and when i see watchdog and read posts on the net then it worries me. Harveys is not the only furniture retailer that has had bad press and it will blow over but afterall, customers are given discounts and help where possible and all delivery dates are approximate as there are many variables. We live in a society today where people want things cheap and quick like fast food and to honour the cheapness many things are made abroad but take time, quality in this country comes at a price and even then demand can outstrip supply.
have a thought for the sales staff who work many late nights sometimes 7 days a week and even bank hollidays. I personally have had only 2 days off since boxing day because of the peak in trade.
Be reasonable and polite and we will try our best.
Whilst I appreciate your problems you cannot think much of the customers that are conned by your employers. They take the money dont supply the goods and the excuses are so good and after reading other reviews and the excuses received am now wondering if you are all trained with these excuses its laughable do they issue you with a book of them get them printed you could earn yourself some money from it. "Oh dear I never placed the order the computer had a fault !!!!! The supplier did not send the correct amount with the shipment ordered!!!! We gave your suite to another customer as you were given staff discount as an incentive to buy and as we thought you were staff you wouldnt mind!!!!!!!" Its funny your company doesnt mind taking customers money but that doesnt surprise me as from another review it appears your company could have problems financially so they are taking customers money to fund other peoples goods as most of your suppliers have put you on hold. Now the picture is clear no wonder the service is so poor you can only get the goods when you con the customers out of there money. Think about us having no seats to sit on for the last 6months do you care I think not perhaps if your company got its act together people wouldnt complain. I still havent got my goods not expected till September 2007 not bad when I ordered them in Mar 2007 and whos to say I will get them and what if there is a problem or they are damaged. Can you advise of when I would expect a refund for the goods not supplied oh no another excuse cant get one thats not an option. So please dont ask me to feel sorry for you because at the end of the day your are getting your wages FROM US CUSTOMERS THAT GET NO ANSWERS FROM YOU SO CALLED EMPLOYEES. BUT WOULD ASK YOU WHERES MY SOFAS my BUM IS GETTING SORE FROM SITTING ON THE FLOOR. OH I FORGET YOU NEVER PHONE BACK OR ANSWER LETTERS AND THE STORE YOU BUY FROM NEVER GET BACK TO YOU.
# 32
Cheshire
Old 17-08-2007, 7:54 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry Harvey's are a big headache

Wow What a shock!!! finding all these stories about Harvey's I just put in a search for Harvey's Complaints as I am fed up to the teeth with them and all there lies.( After thought wish I had searched before I bought it would of saved me a lot of hassle.) I bought a table chairs side board and display unit from them on March 2007. I was told it would be delivered within 6 weeks. Well as you all know that was a lie to start with I waited 14 weeks but only the table and chairs came it took another three weeks for the sideboard and the display unit to arrive. (within the 14 weeks they did give me a little compensation.) in the following weeks I was told head office has changed the code for the display unit they no longer sell them as one item they are bought as two separate items and that the computer is not recognizing my order. many phone calls and visiting the store. finally I got a date for the delivery. Unlucky for me I had to go to my sisters the week the others were to arrive. I had left someone there to let them in so I would not miss them. On my return home I got that angry the state of the furniture was a disgrace draws would not close, some of the varnish not on the side board, on the display unit the shelf holder are out of line so they move about. the top of the unit it looks like they tried to repair it not even sanded down properly just a complete mess. big runs of varnish all over the display cabinet that thick it's unbelievable. I phoned them up and asked someone to come out and have a look which they did eventually. which is about three weeks ago. I phoned them yesterday to find out what is going on with the replacements. I was told the table and chairs and a side board was on order. well I just went crazy with them it's not the table and chairs it's the sideboard and the display unit and what way was this to run a company. stating about there incompetence and I wanted to speak to someone with more clout now I knew that was not going to happen as head office does not speak to you they just fob you off to the store or customer service..

Now the member who works for Harvey's can't you see this is just not a few people who are having this problem with Harvey's goods and that public are being ripped off by your company with having to pay for our goods first before they can be delivered? if this is true that they are in bother financially I would suggest to you to go and find another place of work as it's coming soon by the looks of it that you will be out of work and have peace of mind that you are not getting paid by the Joe public by dishonesty. I would also suggest sending this link to this forum to head office to let them know we are now on there case and that there company is longer approved by us all.
# 33
millers
Old 18-08-2007, 12:06 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default A final response

As i am not a media representative for Harveys but a mere sales assistant i can only finish with this following statement.
If you have asked for money back for goods that cannot be delivered then you are in your rights, as you may know if you have taken the time to read the consumer rights act.
As i have mentioned before and as i always tell my customers delivery times are ONLY approximate, supply can and has outstripped demand. Some factories have holiday periods i.e. Italy have about 8 weeks shutdown.
THINGS CAN GO WRONG
There are new measurments implemented to cut down with customer problems. At the end of the day if the customer is happy then they will probably come back for other items. I personally wont lie to a customer if they are not satisfied then its my commision that i lose and i will always recomend other companies for furniture. I will never badmouth other furniture companies because i think its bad practice. For example i would never tell anyone to never shop at DFS (under any circumstances as someone put it very dramatically).
If you have had a bad experiance as we all have within retail then we all understand that we all feel bitter from time to time. Never Lose your temper with staff or managers if you are civil then they are more helpful. Obviously someone is going to pull apart this and quote me, well feel free.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - and most fools do. " quote by Dale Carnegie
"Do not listen to those who weep and complain, for their disease is contagious."
qoute by Og Mandino
# 34
Victoria62
Old 26-08-2007, 4:41 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry

I'm afraid you've got another dissatisfied customer Harvey's! I too wish I'd read these posts before ordering. I cannot fault the staff although saying that the manager wasn't the most pleasant. I ordered furniture in May and have now been told it will not arrive until September so I'm waiting for my money back-they did have my money for 6 months so I reckon they owe me interest too-some hope! I was told that because nobody orders the furniture that I did, the manufacturer hadn't even started making it!! Funnily enough it's being advertised on their current promotion!
I would never be less than polite to staff in the shops but even my patience finally ran out. Don't they realise that I will be telling everyone I know not to shop at Harvey's as well as posting my dissatisfaction on this site and any other I can reach!!
My children are now living out of cardboard boxes so can anybody recommend a good but not too expensive furniture store in N.Ireland where I will get it quickly and preferably ready assembled? N.Ireland does seem rather short of them, I like Starplan but unfortunately they don't have the range to suit my teenagers! I might have to wait for Ikea!!
I did pass Harvey's new store in Newtownabbey yesterday, where they had a DJ playing, but the carpark was empty at 3pm so maybe the word is getting around at last!!
# 35
Cee
Old 31-08-2007, 12:51 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I just don't get why N Ireland companies have such a long wait delivering items of furniture, it has always amazed me when its dropped in conversations with people at work that their table and chairs will take 6 weeks to arrive. Wha...? Don't they have warehouses over here or somming?
# 36
ben500
Old 31-08-2007, 1:00 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I have had to battle Harvey's on two occasions once for a work colleague another for my own son, my experience, bunch of monkey's that rely on stonewalling to and procrastination to avoid the inevitable refund, if you want furniture resign yourself to the fact Harvey's is not the place to go, they supply grief in large doses but little else arrives on time or intact, put any correspondence in writing and insist on a like for like response they will take little notice of you unless you can demonstrate you mean busines.
# 37
Cheshire
Old 05-09-2007, 7:50 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by millers View Post
As i am not a media representative for Harveys but a mere sales assistant i can only finish with this following statement.
If you have asked for money back for goods that cannot be delivered then you are in your rights, as you may know if you have taken the time to read the consumer rights act.
As i have mentioned before and as i always tell my customers delivery times are ONLY approximate, supply can and has outstripped demand. Some factories have holiday periods i.e. Italy have about 8 weeks shutdown.
THINGS CAN GO WRONG
There are new measurments implemented to cut down with customer problems. At the end of the day if the customer is happy then they will probably come back for other items. I personally wont lie to a customer if they are not satisfied then its my commision that i lose and i will always recomend other companies for furniture. I will never badmouth other furniture companies because i think its bad practice. For example i would never tell anyone to never shop at DFS (under any circumstances as someone put it very dramatically).
If you have had a bad experiance as we all have within retail then we all understand that we all feel bitter from time to time. Never Lose your temper with staff or managers if you are civil then they are more helpful. Obviously someone is going to pull apart this and quote me, well feel free.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - and most fools do. " quote by Dale Carnegie
"Do not listen to those who weep and complain, for their disease is contagious."
qoute by Og Mandino
Well I am surprised from your quote
Carnegie wasnt he a multi millionare hmmmmmmm dose that not say something about a greedy man who got his money from the puplic
where those people look down on the ones they think that are beneath them.
I am still waiting for my furniture by the way. if companies close down for 8 weeks holidays is this not best telling the customer at the time before they order or is that to long for you to gain your commision.
# 38
diddydi
Old 05-09-2007, 10:31 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I bought my 2 x 3 seater sofas and 1 x 2seater sofa from Harveys. Delivered earlier than expected and exceptionally well packaged. Also had all my curtains made there which are beautiful. The staff were extremely helpful and remembered my surname when I visited the store making it very personal. I recommended them to my daughter who has also purchased her sofas from them with no problems.

I do appreciate that problems can occur but I wonder in percentage terms if they outweigh the satisfied customers. By the way No I do not work for them.
# 39
stsinfield
Old 16-09-2007, 8:47 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I ordered a sofa and two chairs from Harvey's in July. I later read this forum and to my horror discovered the problems that customers were having. They told me delivery would take 10 weeks. Nine weeks later I got a call from them making arrangements for delivery at our mutual convenience. The day before delivery was due I was given a time slot from 8 am to lunchtime. On the day of delivery I received a call at 7.20 am informing me that the furniture would be delivered within the hour. This was the case and I am entirely satisfied with the furniture and the service.
# 40
biggripe20
Old 24-10-2007, 11:04 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile Not bad at all!

Well folks,

I never in my days thought id be doing this. I bought furniture from hareys about 2 years ago and had a lot of problems getting it actually delivered. However a friend of mine started working for them last year and he told me what actually happened to them and why they had so many problems. Apparently the managing director at the time nearly ran the company into the ground. One of his many stunts was to deliver all the furniture out of harveys warehouses to 3rd party delivery companies so he could declare everything as been deliered.....eeccchhh! what an idiot. Anyway I had massie problems and was reluctant to shop there again.

When I say I would never have seen myself doing this I mean it is the first time I have considered putting an online posting about positive service.

Harveys have come a long way since they were bought out last year. They quoted me 10 weeks for my new suite and it arrived in 7. My dining table and chairs arrived in 4 and they even built the table.

Well done harveys....you have won back a customer.