Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Can car fail an MOT if the battery does not have ... (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Can car fail an MOT if the battery does not have enough power?
Closed Thread
Views: 4,135
# 21
s b
Old 30-08-2011, 1:38 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendulum View Post
Ohh !!!!... you've taken it to a fast fit place like Kwik Fit haven't you? Well that is what they do. They work on commission and always find extra things wrong. You've been done up like a kipper I'm afraid. There was nothing wrong with the battery and it didn't cut out on test. Lesson learnt the hard way I'm afraid.

I had it in the back of my mind it was a fast fit. It just didn't sound like the kind of thing a local independent would do.
special battery these too, so your 20 discount is dust in the wind
The Following User Says Thank You to s b For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
Strider590
Old 30-08-2011, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wealdroam View Post
Have you got a link please?

Yes right here
Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
# 23
sinar
Old 30-08-2011, 3:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for all the replies guys, I think you are right, I "fell for it", I think I was more angry at being lied to, than being conned out of a few quid.

At least I have a new battery now, thats guaranteed for 3 years.

Probably the right thing to do would have been to take it elsewhere, but I just could not do with the hassle/bother (having already prepaid the garage for the service and MOT)

Anyway, just got the car back with its new MOT certificate, it needed 2 new tyres, (they were a couple of years old, so i was not surprised by that).
The Following User Says Thank You to sinar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
Strider590
Old 30-08-2011, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinar View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys, I think you are right, I "fell for it", I think I was more angry at being lied to, than being conned out of a few quid.

At least I have a new battery now, thats guaranteed for 3 years.

Probably the right thing to do would have been to take it elsewhere, but I just could not do with the hassle/bother (having already prepaid the garage for the service and MOT)

Anyway, just got the car back with its new MOT certificate, it needed 2 new tyres, (they were a couple of years old, so i was not surprised by that).
Well at least they didn't try it on for new brakes, shocks and exhaust!!
Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
The Following User Says Thank You to Strider590 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
katsu
Old 30-08-2011, 3:52 PM

Did you check the posted link/paperwork they gave you to see that it did have a failed test? If not I would have thought you could write and complain - after all, if the car never cut out for you then it seems frankly suspicous it suddenly died during the test!
Debt at highest - 8k Debt Free 31/12/2009 (four years and counting )
OP savings pot: 690.06.
Total OPs since 2010: 2128.50. Original MFD: May 2036 Current MFD: 1 August 2034
# 26
Deneb
Old 30-08-2011, 5:10 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
He said when they were testing the electrical systems the car cut out, they checked the battery and it was low (10.8 when it should have been 14, I think, not sure what that means, but he showed me a print out from a computer that he used to check it)

He said as the car cut out he could not continue to test it properly, so the only way to continue with the MOT was to have a new battery.

He used the analogy that a car could come in without much petrol, and it the car ran out of petrol during the test, they would not be able to complete the test, the car could not fail due to no petrol, but it could not pass either.
The tester is allowed to refuse to complete a test, or reject the vehicle from being submitted for testing, if

"The vehicle is not fit to be driven when necessary to complete the test because of a lack of fuel, or oil, or for any other reason."
# 27
Stigy
Old 30-08-2011, 6:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Not sure if it's changed now, but we used to check the hazards, sidelights and then turn the engine off with all of them operating. I imagined it was to simulate if you break down? Not 100% if it would fail on this part of the test though.
# 28
Hammyman
Old 30-08-2011, 7:59 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendulum View Post
You've said this before. I've got an 8 year old battery that's still going strong. 5 years isn't that much.
Its Strider590...the same person who claimed you would hear air in brake pipes.

He never learns and just seems hell bent on digging himself a deeper hole.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hammyman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 29
mikey72
Old 30-08-2011, 9:37 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

A five year old battery is getting old, if it was reading 10.8v it's not in a good state.
Last winter finished a lot off, I've had to buy 3 batteries for 3 of our cars this summer.
At least it'll start this winter with a new battery.
The 20 off isn't too bad either.
So not too poor a deal for an mot for another year.
# 30
Deneb
Old 30-08-2011, 11:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigy View Post
Not sure if it's changed now, but we used to check the hazards, sidelights and then turn the engine off with all of them operating. I imagined it was to simulate if you break down? Not 100% if it would fail on this part of the test though.
It didn't fail. It was a reason for refusal to complete the test.
# 31
Flyboy152
Old 31-08-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey72 View Post
A five year old battery is getting old, if it was reading 10.8v it's not in a good state.
Last winter finished a lot off, I've had to buy 3 batteries for 3 of our cars this summer.
At least it'll start this winter with a new battery.
The 20 off isn't too bad either.
So not too poor a deal for an mot for another year.
But then a previous car of ours was ten year sold and still had the original battery.
# 32
fivetide
Old 31-08-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy152 View Post
But then a previous car of ours was ten year sold and still had the original battery.
But then my Scooby demolished a battery inside four years. The alarm seemed particularly draining. You wouldn't want to leave it more than a week even on a new battery in cold weather because it would flatten.

Not all cars/batteries are the same is the real lesson I think.

5t.
# 33
Flyboy152
Old 31-08-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivetide View Post
But then my Scooby demolished a battery inside four years. The alarm seemed particularly draining. You wouldn't want to leave it more than a week even on a new battery in cold weather because it would flatten.

Not all cars/batteries are the same is the real lesson I think.

5t.
Indeed. The car I mentioned earlier had been left laid up for six weeks, before finally going to car heaven. When the salvagers collected the car, it started first time.
# 34
s b
Old 31-08-2011, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deneb View Post
It didn't fail. It was a reason for refusal to complete the test.
if you read all that the OP wrote you will see that the test was abandoned through the test and not before logging on
this would be classed as a fail and show on the vosa website as having been failed
The Following User Says Thank You to s b For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 35
Buzby
Old 31-08-2011, 2:40 PM

If the retest was free of charge (within the timeframe), then the OP has got a fresh battery and with it a guarantee (keep the receipt in case IT goes faulty) - they're not worse off.
# 36
Jakg
Old 31-08-2011, 5:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jakg Send a message via MSN to Jakg Send a message via Yahoo to Jakg Send a message via Skype™ to Jakg

Quote:
i've just phoned up the garage, and mentioned my concerns to them, and they have said

"The battery is condition is not part of the MOT, but, it is a condition of the MOT that the battery is able to power all electrical items at once"

It does seem contradictory to me.
Ask for a demonstration of the problem... my car can run all of it's electrical systems while not having enough power to start the engine - I think you'd notice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo3002 View Post
try it your self ...start the car and put on the headlights and hazzards , if the engine stays on and the lights all work then theres no problem
That doesn't really test anything - with the engine on all the power is coming from the alt, not the battery.

A "better" test would be to turn headlights / radio / heated rear window ec on, and THEN try to start the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstellaflyer View Post
I've never seen an MOT tester switch all electrical items on at once so does seem strange, I can see their point if the battery was in such poor state that it would barely turn the engine over as that could be a potential hazzard
Why would a non-starting engine be a hazard?

The batteries electrical condition is not part of the MOT - although if it's insecure or leaking acid it could cause a fail, and if the battery won't start the car then they cannot complete the test.

Quote:
He replied by saying they were wrong to say that the car would fail the MOT because of that, however, the car could not be tested with the current battery, so could not pass the MOT.
They still have not explained why the current battery would not let the car pass.
Quote:
He said when they were testing the electrical systems the car cut out, they checked the battery and it was low (10.8 when it should have been 14, I think, not sure what that means, but he showed me a print out from a computer that he used to check it)
10.8v would indicate a dead (and I mean *DEAD* battery). But you say the car worked fine before... it's unusual for a battery to go so dead all of a sudden with no warning.

It's even wierder they tested it with a multi-meter if they haven't said they had any problems - a dead battery can show 12.xv so will *look* fine but not start the car. I'd wonder why they were testing it in the first place...

And why on earth would they be using a computer to test the voltage?!
Quote:
He said as the car cut out he could not continue to test it properly, so the only way to continue with the MOT was to have a new battery.
A flat battery won't cause a car to cut out - once its started most of the power of the power will come from the alt. You could drive with a dead/flat battery with no problems.

I can't help but think your battery was fine, and that they had a bunch of batteries spare....

In my "less knowledgeable" days I took my car for tracking. I mentioned it'd needed jump starting twice over the last few days so may well need it again... When I came back I had a bill for 120, as they'd replaced the battery without asking me. I asked for the old battery to go in (as I thought the price was a little steep, plus they'd charged me loads for labour & parts...) and they said they'd already disposed of it. I needed the car to get to Uni (that day to give coursework in annoyingly) so had to begrudgingly pay.
Nothing I say represents any past, present or future employer.
Closed Thread