David lloyd gym membership.....prices??

LearningToSave.
LearningToSave. Posts: 1,428 Forumite
edited 28 January 2016 at 10:40AM in Sports & fitness MoneySaving
Official MoneySavingExpert.com insert

For a full list of the latest offers and deals, as well as tips on managing your gym membership, check out the Cheap Gyms guide.

Back to LearningToSave's original post...

does anyone know roughly(i understand it can vary a bit from place to place) how much membership costs at david lloyd gyms??
i would be interested in finding out about a joint membership for me and my husband mainly.
i also understand they do a family membership so would like to know cost of this and what the kids get out of it??
me and my husband want a membership but we also have a 6yo and 8yo so were thinking if the facilities for them were good and they would get enough extra out of it then it may be worth paying the bit more.

can any of you please help with any info please??
would also like any reviews/thoughts you may have.
thankyou.

Comments

• Moomum
    Moomum Posts: 958 Forumite
    We paid £146 a month for me, my OH and my the 5 yr old son.this was in London They do a huge range of childrens classes, my son used to love them and did them every Sat and Sun whilst OH and I were in our own classes or at the gym. They also do swimming lessons, I seem to remember an extra charge for these though?!.

We only stopped going as we moved.
  • LearningToSave.
    LearningToSave. Posts: 1,428 Forumite
    thankyou so much for taking the time to reply!!!!
    very helpful.
    so these classes your son did...they didnt cost any more? and were included in the £146 yes??
    can i please ask you what classes(and others that you may know of that they offered) your son did and how long they lasted?
    oh and how long ago was this??

thanks so much again x
  • pleasedelete
    pleasedelete Posts: 2,286
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We pay £226 a month for a family of 4. My children are older- little children used to be free. We can use any gym in the country for that and get towels (wow). We have just cancelled.

They have a 3 month deal on at the moment. Thet used to do this but then swapped to a minimum of 12 months.
    June challenge £100 a day £3161.63 plus £350 vouchers plus £108.37 food/shopping saving

July challenge £50 a day. £ 1682.50/1550

October challenge £100 a day. £385/£3100
  • We pay £170,.00 as a couple for membership of a David Lloyd club in London. The Virgin gym is significantly cheaper (about £50 a couple less).

Before joining be aware that they will be out to get as much money as they possibly can from you (although they'll tell you absolutely anything you want to hear about what's free etc before you join to get you to sign up). This includes selling you personal training, tennis lessons, swimming lessons etc. It's probably wise to refuse to sign up for anything that costs money until you've been a member for a few months and you get an idea of what you want to do.

Be warned, the customer service is dreadful. You'll be paying a lot of money for a third rate service. The staff are sales people (on a very, very low basic wage) and only intersted in what they can sell you. If you want to be treated like dirt and spoken to in a rude manner, I suggest you pay David Lloyd £650 a month like we did!

Be very, very, very careful with contracts and get confirmation of the cancelation terms in writing before you sign anything (you'll need it) . The staff lie about the cancellation terms.

My advice would be not to pay extra for David Lloyd (unless the location is very convenient, you've got loads of money you'd like to give them or you're looking to experience the worst customers service in the UK).
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Norman27 wrote: »
    We pay £170,.00 as a couple for membership of a David Lloyd club in London. The Virgin gym is significantly cheaper (about £50 a couple less).

Before joining be aware that they will be out to get as much money as they possibly can from you (although they'll tell you absolutely anything you want to hear about what's free etc before you join to get you to sign up). This includes selling you personal training, tennis lessons, swimming lessons etc. It's probably wise to refuse to sign up for anything that costs money until you've been a member for a few months and you get an idea of what you want to do.

Be warned, the customer service is dreadful. You'll be paying a lot of money for a third rate service. The staff are sales people (on a very, very low basic wage) and only intersted in what they can sell you. If you want to be treated like dirt and spoken to in a rude manner, I suggest you pay David Lloyd £650 a month like we did!

Be very, very, very careful with contracts and get confirmation of the cancelation terms in writing before you sign anything (you'll need it) . The staff lie about the cancellation terms.

My advice would be not to pay extra for David Lloyd (unless the location is very convenient, you've got loads of money you'd like to give them or you're looking to experience the worst customers service in the UK).

Sounds terrible- is this the same with all the DL clubs or are you based at one? Have you tried complaining to their head office?
  • HappySad
    HappySad Posts: 2,021
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I agree with Normal27 completely. Nice when you join and while you are there and choose to leave not so good. If you are there to use the facilities and not have much with the staff then all good. But if you want a service for any reason then this is not the best place for you.

Try them out for a day and you will see how wonderful the place and facilities are but if you have any issues that need help with then not so good. David LLoyd is looking to up their games to attract more customers but all they need to do is treat people with respect that we all deserve. They are expensive but see this price for the facilities and the building and not for what the staff can offer you.

I have used Village Hotel as they have a large chain of health spas linked to their hotels. There service is excellent and I am sure they are much cheaper. There are many other companies around. Look at them first before going with David Lloyd.
    “…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"
  • I would have to disagree with that. Certainly they'd like to get as much money as possible when you sign up, but the gym I use in Cambridge is great, and I've been going for about a year now. They even replaced a bunch of the gym equipment recently. Sure, things occasionally break and stuff is occasionally tatty, but they get it fixed.

The staff in the Cambridge branch are a fine and cheery lot. I've even managed to completely avoid any sales pitch for personal training.

Before signing up, I read scare stories about pretty much every gym ripping people off, you just have to realise you're signed up to a minimum term, and trying to cancel that is going to cause issues.

Anyway, my girlfriend and I pay about £130 a month. That doesn't include access to the tennis and squash courts though. Nor do we pay the extra monthly subscription for the "free" towels.

There are a lot of families there, and David Lloyd seem to be geared up to handling lot of children's activities, especially during the school holidays, but I dread to think what that costs.
  • yvonnemaus
    yvonnemaus Posts: 25 Forumite
    edited 24 February 2012 at 11:50PM
    It seems that David Lloyd membership prices are kept secret so they can charge people individually what they think they can get away with. As per banks and insurance, loyalty counts for nothing. You get charged more than anyone else the longer you stay.

So let's unveil some prices. Two of us as a couple are paying £120 a month in the East Midlands for "health" off-peak only. So it doesn't include rackets, and only up to 5pm. Prices go up by far more than inflation every year.

Anyone else?
  • miss112
    miss112 Posts: 32 Forumite
    I ve just enquirer on a family membership. . 2 adults, 13 n 3 year old.. Annual works out 1250. . .100 pound a month. . More if direct debit, any one got any other prices quoted, Dudley west mids, pedal offer on at mo with month free. .
  • miss112
    miss112 Posts: 32 Forumite
    That was any time but no rackets by the way
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family