Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > How to remove smells from car upholstery (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How to remove smells from car upholstery
Views: 106,542
# 1
loungelizard
Old 20-04-2005, 11:13 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Question How to remove smells from car upholstery

Hope this is the right place for the post.
My little girl (4)was ill last week and threw up in the back of the car (only 6 months old {sob!}).
That day I cleaned up the sick and borrowed one of those wet/dry vacuum cleaner and used upholstery cleaner to get the rest up.
There is still rather a nasty lingering smell which gets REALLY bad if the sun shines and the car warms up.

Please can anybody help with any suggestions as to how to get rid of the smell. The sick went on the seatbelt, the car seat and the carpet.

Thanks in advance!!!
Make me RICH!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
apprentice tycoon
Old 20-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Have you tried Febreze?
# 3
moggins
Old 20-04-2005, 11:26 AM

A bicarbonate of soda solution scrubbed into the seat should help.
Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
The Following User Says Thank You to moggins For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
loungelizard
Old 20-04-2005, 11:43 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Sorry to be dense, but I'm a bloke and can't help it.

How do you make up the solution, do you just add water, and how much bicarb/water do you use. It wont stain will it?

Thanks for the help by the way!!!
Make me RICH!!!!!!
# 5
moggins
Old 20-04-2005, 11:53 AM

A large tablespoon in about a pint of water should do it. It won't stain as the liquid will be clear but you may get a powdery residue when it dries which you can just hoover off.

I always use this for remove the smell from a fridge.
Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moggins For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Rachel021967
Old 07-11-2005, 11:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

When my daughter was sick last I got rid of the lumps and cleaned the rest with bicarbonate and water. Then I sprayed it with pet deodouriser from the vet. Very expensive but does the trick. Also don't get carpet to wet otherwise the smell will get worse than better. Also clean up as soon as possible, preferably straight away.
# 7
sarahlouise210
Old 07-11-2005, 11:33 PM

Great tip from the vet (was advise re ill cat smells but works on human!) use biological washing liquid! It really works..my brother made an identical smell in the car on world cup night....a lot of scrubbing heaving and biological washing liquid later.........fresh as a daisy! I now use it at home when we have an ill moment - works every time!
I have had brain surgery - sorry if I am a little confused sometimes
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahlouise210 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
iwanttosave
Old 08-11-2005, 12:27 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

i can also vouch for the bio liquid although i use powder, i just sprinkle abit down and then using a soft scrubbing brush and soapy hot water give a bit of a scrub and then hoover when dry. I always do it when shampooing carpets at home to get rid of any whiffs that have made camp in my carpet.
# 9
Mr Skint
Old 08-11-2005, 12:34 AM
PPR

http://www.trafalgar.cc/trafalgar/used_car.htm# These guys do a top notch
Fabric Cleaner, they might give you a sample, and also I bought a car from a guy
who smoked and the smell was a bit iffy so I bought a "SmellyBomb" that I put in
the car let off this Bomb (Aerosol Can) for 4hrs then opened the windows for
the rest of the day and the car was lovely and fresh afterwards.
# 10
Bargain Rzl
Old 08-11-2005, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlouise210
....a lot of scrubbing heaving and biological washing liquid later.........fresh as a daisy!
Unfortunate choice of words, given the context!
# 11
maryb
Old 08-11-2005, 9:36 PM

Febreze transformed my life!

It wasn't available with DD1 but with DD2 it made such a difference.

I found it easier to cope with nappies than vomit so I did a deal with DH. I did nappies he did sick. We both think we did well out of it!
# 12
JackieO
Old 09-11-2005, 9:49 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by loungelizard
Hope this is the right place for the post.
My little girl (4)was ill last week and threw up in the back of the car (only 6 months old {sob!}).
That day I cleaned up the sick and borrowed one of those wet/dry vacuum cleaner and used upholstery cleaner to get the rest up.
There is still rather a nasty lingering smell which gets REALLY bad if the sun shines and the car warms up.

Please can anybody help with any suggestions as to how to get rid of the smell. The sick went on the seatbelt, the car seat and the carpet.

Thanks in advance!!!
I used to be a taxi-driver, and the worst smell was split milk in the boot of a car it lingers forever.I found that if you spray the car with aftershave it helps to disperse it a bit. Anyone who hurled in my cab I had to take in to a valeters and it cost the customer the cleaning fee, plus my loss of earnings whilst it was cleaned.
It is a rotten smell though and I know how whiffy it can get especially on a hot day !
Good luck ,Jackie ,happily retired ex-cab driver.
R.I.P Alan 1933-2003
# 13
PIPPER
Old 30-05-2006, 4:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Wink Cleaning Vomit!

I know a horrid thought, but my son has had a fever and got sick in the car yesterday. The smell is quite strong, but being a mum, now quite normal(!?)
The one thing I want to do is clean the car upholstery as his car-seat is 40deg washable. Also the carpet below his seat got a doing and even though I scrubbed with dettol, it still smells.

Any home remedies appreciated, otherwise I may well have to fork out for a valet - Galaxy - so quite pricey I would imagine.
Thanks in anticipation!!
# 14
djtonyb
Old 30-05-2006, 5:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If the patch is still damp - try putting bicarbonate of soda on it leave for a few hours then hover the power up.

Worked on fresh stains on home carpet
Fat and proud lol
# 15
Pink.
Old 30-05-2006, 5:22 PM

Hi Pipper,

We have an existing thread on the same topic, so I've merged yours with it as it helps Old Style readers to find all the suggestions together. As always, the posts are listed in date order, so you'll need to read from the beginning to see all the replies.

Pink
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the In My Home (Includes DIY), I wanna buy-it or do-it, Greenfingered MoneySaving and Old Style MoneySaving boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pink. For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
PIPPER
Old 30-05-2006, 8:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Wink

I popped into the local hand car wash and they quoted £20 for that small area plus normal clean of car. When I asked how much for all seats, he shook his head and said, "Too much.." I must have looked like a right wrong-un! He actually meant to say £95 madam!
Anyway, thanks, read all the above and I'm just off, again, with me rubber gloves and some biological w-up powder!!

Last edited by PIPPER; 30-05-2006 at 8:42 PM.
# 17
Quincy
Old 30-05-2006, 8:44 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Odour Fogger they are brilliant.

Gets rid of any smell
# 18
HopeElizzy
Old 30-05-2006, 10:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Do your seats move at all? Our back seats tip forward to make the boot space bigger - if yours do this have you checked underneath? Sorry this is very icky but our daughter did a bit of an exorcist job in our car last week, even sprayed her little brother, and though we cleaned and scrubbed with various things we couldn't get rid of the smell. OH who is a musician, moved the seats to get his gear in the boot 2 days later and found a large pool of vomit underneath the seat!! I know, I know, VERY disgusting but I felt I had to share!
"all endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time..."
# 19
full-time-mum
Old 15-04-2007, 6:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Please help - smelly car

My delightful daughter threw up all over my car a week ago.

As soon as we got back, I cleaned it out with some detergent and then sprayed with Fabreeze. I've been leaving it on the drive with the windows open all week but it was still smelling yesterday so I cleaned the carpet and the seats with carpet cleaner, let it dry and hoovered as per instructions and then sprayed more fabreeze for good measure.

The car is still smelly - admittedly not so bad - so I was hoping one of you good people would have a better idea. I really do have better things to do with my time than shampooing the car's interior every week.

Thanks
# 20
nearlyrich
Old 15-04-2007, 6:50 PM

I once had a carton of milk spill in my week old car and it really did smell bad. I got some Nuerodol (?) products and it got rid of the smell very quickly, it was a long time ago but I think I used the carpet freshener which you then hoover up and a car air freshener.
NEW to the Forum? I'm the Board Guide on
Debt-Free Wannabe

I can move and change posts but I don't have time to read everything. If you spot a reportable post please use the button below.

Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange