Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > Is it possible to have carpet fitted and pay week... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Is it possible to have carpet fitted and pay weekly?
Closed Thread
Views: 6,611
# 1
beckieee20
Old 13-06-2011, 10:52 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Unhappy Is it possible to have carpet fitted and pay weekly?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post (hope it is in the right place??) ok so am slowly trying to make this house liveable and i am in desperate need of carpet on the hall stairs and landing i have no idea (not even ball park) of how much this would cost, although i know the chances are than i wouldnt be able to pay out right ,as i am a single parent to 2 under 5's and i am not working at the moment. All i know is that my 2 yr old keeps getting splinters in his feet when he takes his slippers off (he hates them :-( and its driving me mad haha

any advice would really be appreciated and i look forward to reading everyones posts in the future

Thankyou in advance Bex
The Following User Says Thank You to beckieee20 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
snugglepet20
Old 13-06-2011, 11:03 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi Bex
There is a pay weekly carpet place where I live so they do exist but it depends what area you are in. A friend got a quote and they are very pricey though. If you can find an independant local carpet shop or warehouse they will be much cheaper, quotes are free so maybe get a few and see if you can afford it.
The Following User Says Thank You to snugglepet20 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
beckieee20
Old 13-06-2011, 11:06 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

i have tried looking but have to admit i am pretty useless however i will keep plugging away :-) thank you
# 4
jamsandwhich
Old 13-06-2011, 11:12 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We had a wool carpet fitted to the hall and stairs last year and it was 600 but, it is a quality one which I had saved up for and been wanting for nearly eight years!

We have a local place in the North East which has quality and discounted carpets and recently ran a tv ad to carpet a three bed house for under 500 with fitting and underlay - obviously it won't stand up to the high use of a quality carpet but if you can do with a cheaper carpet for a couple of years until you can afford something better then this could be an option? I had a bedroom carpet from our place which is a roll end and 50% wool which was 120 fitted - shop around as you can find bargains, keep open minded about colour etc. Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to jamsandwhich For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
londonirish
Old 13-06-2011, 11:12 AM
MoneySaving Convert

have you tried for a budgeting loan? for what its worth, I just got quoted 300 for one regular sized bedroom, 14 stairs and top and bottom landings. this is with cheap, but not the cheapest carpet, from an independant little business x
Frugal living challenge 2011
....Failing miserably so far!
Getting Married in 2013
The Following User Says Thank You to londonirish For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
londonirish
Old 13-06-2011, 11:13 AM
MoneySaving Convert

what area are you in?
Getting Married in 2013
# 7
beckieee20
Old 13-06-2011, 11:14 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile

thank you so much guys ... its nice to know there are options out there will definately be putting some more time and effort into it :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to beckieee20 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
GlynD
Old 13-06-2011, 11:19 AM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

You might actually get a grant for it if you are on income related benefits.
The Following User Says Thank You to GlynD For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
beckieee20
Old 13-06-2011, 11:23 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I am in manchester ...

I did apply for a community care grant .. however they said that carpet doesn't constitue an essential :-(

thanks
# 10
londonirish
Old 13-06-2011, 11:26 AM
MoneySaving Convert

try for a budgeting loan, I dont think you need to tell them its for a carpet, just tick the "home improvement" box ( I thik I remembered correctly, though it was a fair while ago. )
Getting Married in 2013
The Following User Says Thank You to londonirish For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
beckieee20
Old 13-06-2011, 11:30 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Talking

thats brilliant never thought of that will def give that a go thanks so much

bex
# 12
GlynD
Old 13-06-2011, 11:32 AM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckieee20 View Post
I am in manchester ...

I did apply for a community care grant .. however they said that carpet doesn't constitue an essential :-(

thanks
I'd appeal that then on the grounds that: 1, it is difficult to maintain cleanliness without a floor covering. You do have a child and cleanliness is essential. 2. That your child has hurt him/herself more than once on splinters from the floor because there is no floorcovering.

Don't be afraid of appeal panels, they're on your side.
# 13
I luv cats
Old 13-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Can you apply for any charitable grants/benevolent funds?? (ex employers, utility companies, ones in your area/fit your circumstances)

Carpet shops offcuts might be cheap enough to do your stairs and landing. Buy some carpet tacks and away you go.
The Following User Says Thank You to I luv cats For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
beckieee20
Old 13-06-2011, 11:40 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile

i will apply for the budgeting loan and if i get no joy will definately appeal thank you

I didnt think about the offcuts as im not sure about the likely hood of finding an offcut big enough to do hall stairs and landing :-) but i will look into it

really appreciate all your help guys :-) thank you
# 15
GlynD
Old 13-06-2011, 11:48 AM
PPR

Quote:
i will apply for the budgeting loan and if i get no joy will definately appeal thank you

I didnt think about the offcuts as im not sure about the likely hood of finding an offcut big enough to do hall stairs and landing :-) but i will look into it

really appreciate all your help guys :-) thank you
If you're getting income related benefits then go for a grant - not a loan.
# 16
vax2002
Old 13-06-2011, 11:50 AM

Where is the other parent ?
Apologies if they are deceased, but I would not want my Kids running around on bare floorboards.
The Following User Says Thank You to vax2002 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
jcr16
Old 13-06-2011, 11:58 AM

try carpet shops like carpet right. i know they don't do pay weekly, but they do cheap ranges of carpet. i recently wanted a bit of carpet for our stairs ( temporary) and the carpet itself worked out to be about 50. ok i apperciate this is still alot when money is tight, but it mgiht be easier to save up a smaller amount and later on replace the carpet with a better quality. It will also help in the winter to keep the home warmer for you, and no more spliters for your little ones.
Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
The Following User Says Thank You to jcr16 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
beckieee20
Old 13-06-2011, 12:02 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

thanks jcr ive just applied for some info online for carpet right :-)

errrmmm as for my childrens father ... he isn't around ... (not through my choice) but i fail to see the relevance

and thanks glyn i see your point (i'm a bit dizzy at times!!)
# 19
GlynD
Old 13-06-2011, 12:10 PM
PPR

Quote:
thanks jcr ive just applied for some info online for carpet right :-)

errrmmm as for my childrens father ... he isn't around ... (not through my choice) but i fail to see the relevance

and thanks glyn i see your point (i'm a bit dizzy at times!!)
No problem Beckieee. The benefits system is a minefield for anyone. I can't blame anyone for getting confused in the difference between "loan" and "grant" if they're not familiar with it.
# 20
Anacrusis
Old 13-06-2011, 12:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Have you tried freecycle?
Closed Thread