Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Help My Dishwasher Is Not Cleaning Properly!! (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Help My Dishwasher Is Not Cleaning Properly!!
Views: 55,079
# 1
Mads13
Old 11-04-2005, 6:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Question Help My Dishwasher Is Not Cleaning Properly!!

Hi Again

My dishwasher is driving me mad

Basically when I get items after they have been washed, they are streaked and marked..especially glasses and coffee/tea mugs. I use a 3 in 1 tablet and added dishwasher salt a few weeks ago.

Is there anyway i can clean the dishwasher and give it a new lease of life??? Do I have to use "special salt", even though the tablets have it added?? :confused:

I depend on the dishwasher alot and is only 2 years old..surely it has a few more years init still

Thanks
Mads13
xxx
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
MATH
Old 11-04-2005, 7:08 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Mine was doing this a few weeks ago. Like you I had refreshed everything and cleaned all the filters but to no avail. Then one day it all righted itself and everything sparkles again. But I don't know what happened:confused: Sorry I can't be more help.
Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
# 3
Angela
Old 11-04-2005, 7:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have this problem if I dont use rinse aid and salt as well as the 3 in 1 tablets!!!

Not very moneysaving but they do come up better than without.

Mine is an old machine though, was given it by my sister who was having another new one with a new kitchen.

HTH
Started SW 9/1/14 Wk1 -8lbs Wk2 +2 Wk3 -5 1/2 Wk4 -2 1/2 (-1st) Wk5 - 1/2 Wk6 -1 1/2 Wk7 -6 1/2 (-1 1/2 st)Wk8 -1 Wk9 -3 Wk10 -1/2 Wk11 -2 (-2st)Wk12 +1/2 Wk13 -1 1/2 Wk14 -2 1/2 Wk15 -1 Wk16 -2 (-2 1/2 st)Wk17 -2
# 4
Magentasue
Old 11-04-2005, 7:44 PM

I've had this before, searched on Google and it seemed that the rotary arms needed cleaning. OH said he'd already tried that (he's the only one who bothers to clean the filters) but I did it myself when he wasn't looking and found a couple of the tiny holes blocked. Took them out, took them apart,poked the holes with a pin and washed the whole lot in hot soapy water. Did the filters, trays, the lot. Problem solved. Felt very housewifey and efficient all day.
# 5
Al Mac
Old 11-04-2005, 7:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I go through this regularly with ours. If I have one I use the cleaner, but check the filters, the holes on the spinny things. Salt, rinse aid.

I find it is often worse we had mash (grainy), beans or sweet corn (blocks the holes).

Competitions - See it, search it, post it, simples

Cheeky Chicken the complete package

Al "Purple" Mac
# 6
toozie
Old 11-04-2005, 9:13 PM

Smile

My trusty dishwasher is my best friend! As with all the above advice I have to use salt, rince aid, and 3+1 tablets.

When it starts to not wash as well, I clean all the bits and bobs, take spray arms off etc.

Lastly about once a year, I run it with 2 tablets, and nothing in it, on the longest, hotest cycle.

My hubby blames me for over filling it, as to why its not washing properly!!!! I don't listen tho!!!!
# 7
Ticklemouse
Old 11-04-2005, 9:34 PM

LOL @ toozie. If I let Mr TM pack the dishwasher, he either only half fills it, or puts things on top of other things so they don't get washed. I can get twice as much stuff in a dishwasher and still get it to clean properly.

Hints and tips I have picked up:

Always rinse items covered in mash - potato sticks like nothing else.
Ring your local water board. If you give them your address, they will give you the water hardness in your area. Then you can set your machine accordingly - we moved from Hertfordshire (hard water) to Lancashire (soft) so had to do this. If you have your instruction booklet, it should tell you about the scales they use (there are 3) and how to adjust your machine.

Remember the 'blind spots' in your machine. There are a couple in mine where I can't put certain sorts of glasses as they don't rinse well. Doesn't seem to matter with other items.

Are your tablets/powder disolving well? I'm having a problem at the moment with my Fairy tablets not disolving well on cooler washes. I keep meaning to e-mail them, but haven't got round to it yet, as they are being released from the drawer, but i find half a tablet in the bottom of the machine at the end.

If all else fails, do a HOT wash with nothing but vinegar in the machine. Should clear it out. Oh, and check the pipe where it joins inder the sink. I find mine blocks up with debris after a while (cos Mr TM doesn't scrape the plates well) and it stops the rinse and then the emptying and leaves the plates dirty. Guess who has to takes the pipes off and clean - well, it aint Mr TM!
# 8
MATH
Old 11-04-2005, 9:44 PM

Poor Mr TM is he to blame for all things evil? Can we lay Global Warming and the changing of Opal Fruits to Starburst at his door as well? I'm sure he's got something to do with the fact you don't see white dog poo anymore and that newcasters use the slovenly me instead of the more elevated I. You're a saint TM you really are. The Nation owes you a debt of gratitude for saving other unsuspecting gentlewomen from failing fowl of his evil charms.
# 9
Ticklemouse
Old 11-04-2005, 9:50 PM

Oh, MATH, I see you know the 'poor unsuspecting' Mr TM

Well, global warning, yes - he's one of those who overfills the kettle, then boils it 4 times before he makes his cuppa. As for 'me' and 'I', don't get me started. I replied to a thread yesterday where I mentioned the incorrect use of 'fewer than' and 'less than'. Also, he's an English teacher (Well, he's an Irishman, teaching English to pupils taking the Welsh board :confused: )

And yes, I'm a saint - If I hadn't married him, well, someone would have had to, wouldn't they
# 10
MATH
Old 11-04-2005, 9:58 PM

OH TM I knew you would bite You always make me laugh when you're online or is that the third glass of Chatau de Cheapo I'Ve just drank ( well what didn't drip into the keyboard)

Don't ever let Mr TM read my posts. My spellin 'n' grammer are shot cos my fingers move faster than my brain. He'd probably post back in red "SEE ME"

Before anyone complains about going off topic - laughs are Ol'Style they kept peeps spirits up in the war and they're FREE so their MSE as well
# 11
Ticklemouse
Old 11-04-2005, 10:06 PM

Oh MATH, you make me laugh too. Actually, it's Tesco cream sherry, glass No 2 (cheapo version of Harveys Bristol Cream). God, I sound SO OLD don't I. However, in true MSE style, delivers the sugar I require as well as alcohol (I don't need a lot) in a couple of glasses

Actually, Mr TM doesn't read this site (yet). And I agree with you, - this board delivers so much more - money saving, recipes, loads of laughs etc etc
# 12
purplepatch
Old 11-04-2005, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticklemouse
If all else fails, do a HOT wash with nothing but vinegar in the machine. Should clear it out. Oh, and check the pipe where it joins inder the sink. I find mine blocks up with debris after a while (cos Mr TM doesn't scrape the plates well) and it stops the rinse and then the emptying and leaves the plates dirty. Guess who has to takes the pipes off and clean - well, it aint Mr TM!
LOL Mr Purplepatch doesn't even open the dishwasher, just stacks the dirty stuff on the side! And as for emptying it.... don't get me started!

Can I just ask you how much vinegar and where do you put it? In the soap compartment or are we talking bigger quantities here?
# 13
moggins
Old 11-04-2005, 10:13 PM

Where else can we get good advice, money saving tips, bargains and a good laugh all in one go?

Long live Old Style I say
Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
# 14
Juicy_Tube
Old 11-04-2005, 11:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepatch
LOL Mr Purplepatch doesn't even open the dishwasher, just stacks the dirty stuff on the side! And as for emptying it.... don't get me started!

Can I just ask you how much vinegar and where do you put it? In the soap compartment or are we talking bigger quantities here?

LOL Thought that was just my hubby! Phew!!

JT x
It's great in here!
# 15
Al Mac
Old 11-04-2005, 11:08 PM
MoneySaving Convert

There's some sexim going on in here, SWMBO doesn't have a clue, although sometimes I think it is on purpose, at how to pack.

Competitions - See it, search it, post it, simples

Cheeky Chicken the complete package

Al "Purple" Mac
# 16
kazd
Old 11-04-2005, 11:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATH
Before anyone complains about going off topic - laughs are Ol'Style they kept peeps spirits up in the war and they're FREE so their MSE as well

Well I am not sure about that, especially if you are going to be throwing plonk all over your keyboard
# 17
kazd
Old 11-04-2005, 11:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Having said that I also find that after a mash meal I get bits left down the sides of mugs. However, I have given up with the expensive tabs and just buy the tesco's own brand and make sure the salt and rinse aid are topped up.
# 18
Turning_into_scrooge
Old 12-04-2005, 12:15 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mads13
Hi Again

My dishwasher is driving me mad

Basically when I get items after they have been washed, they are streaked and marked..especially glasses and coffee/tea mugs. I use a 3 in 1 tablet and added dishwasher salt a few weeks ago.

Is there anyway i can clean the dishwasher and give it a new lease of life??? Do I have to use "special salt", even though the tablets have it added?? :confused:

I depend on the dishwasher alot and is only 2 years old..surely it has a few more years init still

Thanks
Mads13
xxx
Try using rinse aid, i usually ind this helps as i get the same problem. Very anoying when you have to put them back on another cycle :rolleyes:
# 19
fairenoughclough
Old 12-04-2005, 12:44 AM

As a regular dishwasher, I'd recommend a regular supply of Sangiovese and at least pretend to be interested when I mention the football.

Just for one moment, thought I'd found my way.
# 20
Curry Queen
Old 12-04-2005, 12:56 AM

My dishwasher never seems to work properly either cos he's usually too busy playing on the playstation or PC

Maybe I should start docking his pocket money
"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
~
It is that what you do, good or bad,
will come back to you three times as strong!

The Following User Says Thank You to Curry Queen For This Useful Post: Show me >>