Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning > Best place to buy cabin luggage for Ryanair. (Page 7)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Best place to buy cabin luggage for Ryanair.
Reply
Views: 459,719
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 121
decho
Old 07-04-2011, 12:45 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1
Default

Get yourself to Primark!
Just been shopping for a Ryanair sized Cabin Bag - went to Poundstretcher and as previously stated on this forum they do one for 11.99. Took a tape measure and if you include the wheels it is slightly bigger(nearer 60cm) than 55 * 40 * 20. Also, wasn't too sure of the quality but as its only going to be taken onboard its probably ok.
Then we popped into Primark on the off chance they might have something - they have one 55*38*20, it looks reasonable quality with good wheels, 2 front pockets and a nice long extending handle(I am tall!). It also expands in size but that would make it more than 20cm. We have loaded it full with everything we need for our week in Fuerteventura and the loaded weight is < 8Kg.

And the best part......9 (yes, Nine Pounds!) - now thats a bargain!!!!!
decho is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to decho For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 122
d14doc
Old 09-04-2011, 4:24 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5
Default

Have been trawling around for a couple of weeks to maximise hand luggage allowance with Ryanair. We need three new bags (with wheels), so cost was to be kept below the 20 mark. This was more tricky than I thought it would be!!!! Lots of bags well below the 55x40x20, so wasting vital space.

Went to fill up my car at the local Shell petrol station today before driving to the nearest out of town "outlet", and there was a display of exactly the right size of wheelie cases for 9.99 each.

Got them home, and they definitely measure 55x40x20! An excellent buy, with telescopic single handle and rubbery wheels. They seem robust enough for hand luggage, nothing special. The make is "Borderline". Just weighed one with my special luggage scales, and the weight is 1.4kg.

Available in Pink or Black!

Shell petrol station on Glasgow Road, Edinburgh (next to PC World).

Just thought I'd let you know....

Last edited by d14doc; 09-04-2011 at 4:31 PM.
d14doc is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 123
ditchingthecards
Old 21-04-2011, 11:51 AM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1
Default

Argos - 12.99 - Marketeer Drag Bag Paris (has wheels and handle)

Dimensions = (H)56, (W)39, (D)20cm. Capacity 14 litres.Weight 0.9kg.
ditchingthecards is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ditchingthecards For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 124
willu
Old 22-04-2011, 8:02 AM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d14doc View Post
Have been trawling around for a couple of weeks to maximise hand luggage allowance with Ryanair. We need three new bags (with wheels), so cost was to be kept below the 20 mark. This was more tricky than I thought it would be!!!! Lots of bags well below the 55x40x20, so wasting vital space.

Went to fill up my car at the local Shell petrol station today before driving to the nearest out of town "outlet", and there was a display of exactly the right size of wheelie cases for 9.99 each.

Got them home, and they definitely measure 55x40x20! An excellent buy, with telescopic single handle and rubbery wheels. They seem robust enough for hand luggage, nothing special. The make is "Borderline". Just weighed one with my special luggage scales, and the weight is 1.4kg.

Available in Pink or Black!

Shell petrol station on Glasgow Road, Edinburgh (next to PC World).

Just thought I'd let you know....

Has anyone spotted these bags at a Shell garage around Cheshire, North Wales area, sounds just what i need, thanks.
willu is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 125
2010
Old 23-04-2011, 7:22 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,324
Default

The best and probably the cheapest place is Sports Direct.

They are Dunlop and come in all sizes but the one for airline cabins is 9-99.
2010 is online now
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to 2010 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 126
molly1976
Old 23-04-2011, 10:01 AM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1
Default Cabin approved bags

I found this website who have loads of Ryanair approved cabin luggage - karabars
molly1976 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 127
Paul Varjak
Old 25-04-2011, 8:39 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willu View Post
Has anyone spotted these bags at a Shell garage around Cheshire, North Wales area, sounds just what i need, thanks.
Total stations are now stocking what seems to be the very same bag for the same price - 9.99p. I just bought one.
Paul Varjak is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 128
loufra
Old 25-04-2011, 10:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1
Default Watch out!

Just returned from Brindisi.
At the boarding point Ryanair staff were weighing bags with hand held scales. Anyone over 10 Kgs was given the choice - 40 euro fine or the bag stays.
Size not an issue
Too later to check the bag in - Bloodsuckers
loufra is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 129
Pollycat
Old 26-04-2011, 7:17 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North East Midlands
Posts: 9,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loufra View Post
Just returned from Brindisi.
At the boarding point Ryanair staff were weighing bags with hand held scales. Anyone over 10 Kgs was given the choice - 40 euro fine or the bag stays.
Size not an issue
Too later to check the bag in - Bloodsuckers
Why are they bloodsuckers?

The website states your limit is 10kgs.

Did you expect them to pat you on the head, smile and say 'Have a nice flight, sir'?
Pollycat is online now
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Pollycat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 130
ROCKETRICK
Old 30-04-2011, 3:38 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hull, East Yorkshire
Posts: 2
Default

Based on this advice I went to my local Sports direct store and bought a Dunlop trolley Case 10 ( I belive Sports Direct own the Dunlop brand). Its size is a perfect 51 x 34.5 x 19 cm Its a bit heavy at 3.1kg, the capacity is 33.4 litres. With the expander zip open - this increases capacity by up to a 1/3, I can put my coat and a heavy book for example at the top, and take them out at the check in. Again they say its 50% off for 9.99 - cant go wrong!
ROCKETRICK is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 131
ROCKETRICK
Old 30-04-2011, 3:56 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hull, East Yorkshire
Posts: 2
Default

Just realised it comes with a free luggage padlock too!
ROCKETRICK is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 132
2010
Old 01-05-2011, 7:36 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETRICK View Post
Based on this advice I went to my local Sports direct store and bought a Dunlop trolley Case 10 ( I belive Sports Direct own the Dunlop brand). Its size is a perfect 51 x 34.5 x 19 cm Its a bit heavy at 3.1kg, the capacity is 33.4 litres. With the expander zip open - this increases capacity by up to a 1/3, I can put my coat and a heavy book for example at the top, and take them out at the check in. Again they say its 50% off for 9.99 - cant go wrong!
Got mine at the end of last year for 7-99.

But of course now SD have got their sale on, hence the price increase.
2010 is online now
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 133
StaceyAKelly
Old 01-05-2011, 9:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 298
Default

hya! You can get the perfect size Dunlop case from Sports Direct (soccer sports) for 7.99. I bought one a couple of years ago and I call it my Ryanair case! Its really hard wearing but great for everything you need for a few days. The only downside is that it weights over 2kg so you lose a couple, but I still usually have weight to spare to bring a few bits home :-).

Hope this helps xxx
StaceyAKelly is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 134
xxvickixx
Old 02-05-2011, 3:08 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,775
Default

I just bought some bags specifically for Ryanair flights, they weigh 0.8kg and are the exact size (55 x 40 x 20) and come with an approved sticker on. They were 9.99 each on ebay with 7 P&P for 3 bags combined. Think it was 3 postage per bag. They look like they will hold enough for a weeks holiday. There was a choice of colours, black red and blue and seem sturdy enough. Will report back on how durable they are in a couple of weeks time!
xxvickixx is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 135
lijaloo
Old 02-05-2011, 3:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 257
Default

I can recommend the flylite medium size foldaway. Its the exact dimensions for ryanair, weighs only 800g and is absolutely cavernous when compared to other cases of the same size, having a capacity of 44 litres. It folds away into itself for storage. Have had mine now for quite a few years and its still going strong.

Last edited by lijaloo; 02-05-2011 at 3:47 PM. Reason: omitted something
lijaloo is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 136
adindas
Old 02-05-2011, 3:51 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,060
Default

Hi xxvickixx;4329405

Where to get it and how much ?
IS it still available ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxvickixx View Post
I just bought some bags specifically for Ryanair flights, they weigh 0.8kg and are the exact size (55 x 40 x 20) and come with an approved sticker on. They were 9.99 each on ebay with 7 P&P for 3 bags combined. Think it was 3 postage per bag. They look like they will hold enough for a weeks holiday. There was a choice of colours, black red and blue and seem sturdy enough. Will report back on how durable they are in a couple of weeks time!
adindas is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 137
adindas
Old 02-05-2011, 3:53 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,060
Default It is currently available in Argos for 9.99, be quick ...

Here is the discussion link:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...hlight=adindas

ADINDAS
adindas is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 138
xxvickixx
Old 02-05-2011, 4:21 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adindas View Post
Hi xxvickixx;4329405

Where to get it and how much ?
IS it still available ...
This is the one. Went on to ebay to find the link and got distracted!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOARD-CABIN-BA...item76c01b5a9c
xxvickixx is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to xxvickixx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 139
adindas
Old 02-05-2011, 5:01 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,060
Default

Thank you.
Unfortunately, they do not have trolley .....


Quote:
Originally Posted by xxvickixx View Post
This is the one. Went on to ebay to find the link and got distracted!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOARD-CABIN-BA...item76c01b5a9c
adindas is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 140
adindas
Old 03-05-2011, 3:30 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,060
Default

I just boguht one today in ARGOS. It is 9.59 and has trolley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adindas View Post
Here is the discussion link:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...hlight=adindas

ADINDAS
adindas is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
Reply

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 2:54 PM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 17 September 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • THE SCRIPTNO SOUND WITHOUT SILENCE
  • SAM SMITHIN THE LONELY HOUR (DELUXE EDITION)
  • BARBRA STREISANDPARTNERS (DELUXE VERSION)

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.