Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 7
  • decho
    Get yourself to Primark!
    Just been shopping for a Ryanair sized Cabin Bag - went to Poundstretcher and as previously stated on this forum they do one for £11.99. Took a tape measure and if you include the wheels it is slightly bigger(nearer 60cm) than 55 * 40 * 20. Also, wasn't too sure of the quality but as its only going to be taken onboard its probably ok.
    Then we popped into Primark on the off chance they might have something - they have one 55*38*20, it looks reasonable quality with good wheels, 2 front pockets and a nice long extending handle(I am tall!). It also expands in size but that would make it more than 20cm. We have loaded it full with everything we need for our week in Fuerteventura and the loaded weight is < 8Kg.

And the best part......£9 (yes, Nine Pounds!) - now thats a bargain!!!!!
  • d14doc
    Have been trawling around for a couple of weeks to maximise hand luggage allowance with Ryanair. We need three new bags (with wheels), so cost was to be kept below the £20 mark. This was more tricky than I thought it would be!!!! Lots of bags well below the 55x40x20, so wasting vital space.

Went to fill up my car at the local Shell petrol station today before driving to the nearest out of town "outlet", and there was a display of exactly the right size of wheelie cases for £9.99 each.

Got them home, and they definitely measure 55x40x20! An excellent buy, with telescopic single handle and rubbery wheels. They seem robust enough for hand luggage, nothing special. The make is "Borderline". Just weighed one with my special luggage scales, and the weight is 1.4kg.

Available in Pink or Black!

Shell petrol station on Glasgow Road, Edinburgh (next to PC World).

Just thought I'd let you know....
    Last edited by d14doc; 09-04-2011 at 4:31 PM.
  • ditchingthecards
    Argos - £12.99 - Marketeer Drag Bag Paris (has wheels and handle)

Dimensions = (H)56, (W)39, (D)20cm. Capacity 14 litres.Weight 0.9kg.
  • willu
    Have been trawling around for a couple of weeks to maximise hand luggage allowance with Ryanair. We need three new bags (with wheels), so cost was to be kept below the £20 mark. This was more tricky than I thought it would be!!!! Lots of bags well below the 55x40x20, so wasting vital space.

Went to fill up my car at the local Shell petrol station today before driving to the nearest out of town "outlet", and there was a display of exactly the right size of wheelie cases for £9.99 each.

Got them home, and they definitely measure 55x40x20! An excellent buy, with telescopic single handle and rubbery wheels. They seem robust enough for hand luggage, nothing special. The make is "Borderline". Just weighed one with my special luggage scales, and the weight is 1.4kg.

Available in Pink or Black!

Shell petrol station on Glasgow Road, Edinburgh (next to PC World).

Just thought I'd let you know....
    Originally posted by d14doc

Has anyone spotted these bags at a Shell garage around Cheshire, North Wales area, sounds just what i need, thanks.
    • By 2010 23rd Apr 11, 7:22 AM
    • 4,063 Posts
    • 3,272 Thanks
    The best and probably the cheapest place is Sports Direct.

They are Dunlop and come in all sizes but the one for airline cabins is £9-99.
  • molly1976
    Cabin approved bags
    I found this website who have loads of Ryanair approved cabin luggage - karabars
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 25th Apr 11, 8:39 PM
    • 4,312 Posts
    • 2,771 Thanks
    Paul Varjak
    Has anyone spotted these bags at a Shell garage around Cheshire, North Wales area, sounds just what i need, thanks.
    Originally posted by willu
    Total stations are now stocking what seems to be the very same bag for the same price - £9.99p. I just bought one.
  • loufra
    Watch out!
    Just returned from Brindisi.
    At the boarding point Ryanair staff were weighing bags with hand held scales. Anyone over 10 Kgs was given the choice - 40 euro fine or the bag stays.
    Size not an issue
    Too later to check the bag in - Bloodsuckers
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 26th Apr 11, 7:17 AM
    • 15,241 Posts
    • 35,365 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Just returned from Brindisi.
    At the boarding point Ryanair staff were weighing bags with hand held scales. Anyone over 10 Kgs was given the choice - 40 euro fine or the bag stays.
    Size not an issue
    Too later to check the bag in - Bloodsuckers
    Originally posted by loufra
    Why are they bloodsuckers?

The website states your limit is 10kgs.

Did you expect them to pat you on the head, smile and say 'Have a nice flight, sir'?
  • ROCKETRICK
    Based on this advice I went to my local Sports direct store and bought a Dunlop trolley Case 10 ( I belive Sports Direct own the Dunlop brand). Its size is a perfect 51 x 34.5 x 19 cm Its a bit heavy at 3.1kg, the capacity is 33.4 litres. With the expander zip open - this increases capacity by up to a 1/3, I can put my coat and a heavy book for example at the top, and take them out at the check in. Again they say its 50% off for £9.99 - cant go wrong!
  • ROCKETRICK
    Just realised it comes with a free luggage padlock too!
    • By 2010 1st May 11, 7:36 AM
    • 4,063 Posts
    • 3,272 Thanks
    Based on this advice I went to my local Sports direct store and bought a Dunlop trolley Case 10 ( I belive Sports Direct own the Dunlop brand). Its size is a perfect 51 x 34.5 x 19 cm Its a bit heavy at 3.1kg, the capacity is 33.4 litres. With the expander zip open - this increases capacity by up to a 1/3, I can put my coat and a heavy book for example at the top, and take them out at the check in. Again they say its 50% off for £9.99 - cant go wrong!
    Originally posted by ROCKETRICK
    Got mine at the end of last year for £7-99.

But of course now SD have got their sale on, hence the price increase.
  • StaceyAKelly
    hya! You can get the perfect size Dunlop case from Sports Direct (soccer sports) for £7.99. I bought one a couple of years ago and I call it my Ryanair case! Its really hard wearing but great for everything you need for a few days. The only downside is that it weights over 2kg so you lose a couple, but I still usually have weight to spare to bring a few bits home :-).

Hope this helps xxx
  • xxvickixx
    I just bought some bags specifically for Ryanair flights, they weigh 0.8kg and are the exact size (55 x 40 x 20) and come with an approved sticker on. They were 9.99 each on ebay with £7 P&P for 3 bags combined. Think it was £3 postage per bag. They look like they will hold enough for a weeks holiday. There was a choice of colours, black red and blue and seem sturdy enough. Will report back on how durable they are in a couple of weeks time!
  • lijaloo
    I can recommend the flylite medium size foldaway. Its the exact dimensions for ryanair, weighs only 800g and is absolutely cavernous when compared to other cases of the same size, having a capacity of 44 litres. It folds away into itself for storage. Have had mine now for quite a few years and its still going strong.
    Last edited by lijaloo; 02-05-2011 at 3:47 PM. Reason: omitted something
    • adindas
    • By adindas 2nd May 11, 3:51 PM
    • 2,869 Posts
    • 1,286 Thanks
    adindas
    Hi xxvickixx;4329405

Where to get it and how much ?
    IS it still available ...

I just bought some bags specifically for Ryanair flights, they weigh 0.8kg and are the exact size (55 x 40 x 20) and come with an approved sticker on. They were 9.99 each on ebay with £7 P&P for 3 bags combined. Think it was £3 postage per bag. They look like they will hold enough for a weeks holiday. There was a choice of colours, black red and blue and seem sturdy enough. Will report back on how durable they are in a couple of weeks time!
    Originally posted by xxvickixx
    • adindas
    • By adindas 2nd May 11, 3:53 PM
    • 2,869 Posts
    • 1,286 Thanks
    adindas
    It is currently available in Argos for £9.99, be quick ...
    Here is the discussion link:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3201040&highlight=adindas

ADINDAS
  • xxvickixx
    Hi xxvickixx;4329405

Where to get it and how much ?
    IS it still available ...
    Originally posted by adindas
    This is the one. Went on to ebay to find the link and got distracted!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOARD-CABIN-BAG-HAND-LUGGAGE-FLIGHT-HOLDALL-55X40X20-/320680989550?pt=UK_Tickets_Travel_Luggage_CA&var=& hash=item76c01b5a9c
    • adindas
    • By adindas 2nd May 11, 5:01 PM
    • 2,869 Posts
    • 1,286 Thanks
    adindas
    Thank you.
    Unfortunately, they do not have trolley .....

• adindas
    • By adindas 3rd May 11, 3:30 PM
    • 2,869 Posts
    • 1,286 Thanks
    adindas
    I just boguht one today in ARGOS. It is £9.59 and has trolley.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

216Posts Today

3,019Users online

Martin's Twitter