Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 16th Mar 11, 10:03 AM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Cheap Mobile Contracts Article Discussion
    • 16th Mar 11, 10:03 AM
    Cheap Mobile Contracts Article Discussion 16th Mar 11 at 10:03 AM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Cheapest Mobiles

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 1
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 16th Mar 11, 11:11 AM
    • 50,949 Posts
    • 21,495 Thanks
    grumbler
    • 16th Mar 11, 11:11 AM
    • 16th Mar 11, 11:11 AM
    When comparing contracts and PAYG it would make sense to compare disadvantages as well, not only advantages.
    For example, with a contract you are far less protected from going over the limit and are far more likely to get hit by hefty charges if this happens.

ETA: this may count as an extra advantage of PAYG, but will be less clear.
    Last edited by grumbler; 16-03-2011 at 2:58 PM.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 26th Mar 11, 7:12 PM
    • 9,491 Posts
    • 6,909 Thanks
    Crabman
    • 26th Mar 11, 7:12 PM
    • 26th Mar 11, 7:12 PM
    If a credit card is used to make a contract phone purchase which relies on redemption cashback, if the retailer goes bust, would the credit card company be liable under Section 75 for the retailer's liabilities (i.e. cashback redemption) for the remainder of the contract period?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly & I can move & merge posts there. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 27th Mar 11, 9:11 AM
    • 7,053 Posts
    • 2,147 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 27th Mar 11, 9:11 AM
    • 27th Mar 11, 9:11 AM
    You don't take out a cashback contract paying by credit card; that's merely used to verify your identity.
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 27th Mar 11, 10:44 AM
    • 50,949 Posts
    • 21,495 Thanks
    grumbler
    • 27th Mar 11, 10:44 AM
    • 27th Mar 11, 10:44 AM
    Just to clarify, a CC can be used to pay for the phone if it is not free, not for the contract.

• gwinmill
    • 12th Jul 11, 3:24 PM
    • 12th Jul 11, 3:24 PM
    "When comparing contracts and PAYG it would make sense to compare disadvantages as well, not only advantages.
    For example, with a contract you are far less protected from going over the limit and are far more likely to get hit by hefty charges if this happens.

ETA: this may count as an extra advantage of PAYG, but will be less clear."

This is an excellent point that "Grumbler" makes, it is very important that you do in fact look at all sides of the PAYG against Contract argument. Again PAYG avoids being tied in to a long term contract but it does come with extra costs if you start making lots of calls. Another thing to consider is, how many texts do you send, most PAYG deals tend to be more expensive than contracts when it comes to texting. The market does however seem to be dramatically lowering the costs for PAYG mobiles, so the theory of comparing the disadvantages is probably the best route to take.

• mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 12th Jul 11, 3:28 PM
    • 7,053 Posts
    • 2,147 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 12th Jul 11, 3:28 PM
    • 12th Jul 11, 3:28 PM
    I thought PAYT would now be getting a lot more expensive because of the recent actions of the EU on reducing roaming costs. Nothing stays the same for long where networks are concerned.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 18th Oct 11, 9:24 PM
    • 6,478 Posts
    • 2,742 Thanks
    buglawton
    • 18th Oct 11, 9:24 PM
    Nexus S on Voda £13/m, £0 down, £70 cashback, any good?
    • 18th Oct 11, 9:24 PM
    The Nexus S is avail thru Quidco with £70 cashback:
    Per month 100 minutes, 500 texts , 100 MB mobile internet data.
    £13 pm.

No catches it seems except for the 100 MB mobile data allowance being laughable. Never mind as Voda's skimpy 3g coverage might not allow you to access all that data anyway.

So is it the best deal going at the moment, comparing with with all those £30/m deals out there?
    Got a fur sink. An electric dog polisher. A gasoline powered turtleneck sweater. And, of course, I bought some dumb stuff, too. –Steve Martin
    • Stuart_W
    • By Stuart_W 19th Oct 11, 8:48 AM
    • 1,313 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    Stuart_W
    • 19th Oct 11, 8:48 AM
    • 19th Oct 11, 8:48 AM
    £13 pm.
    Originally posted by buglawton
    Which deal is that? Can't find it myself.
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 19th Oct 11, 8:52 AM
    • 50,949 Posts
    • 21,495 Thanks
    grumbler
    http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/catalog/extrasList.jsp?dependantSkuIds=sku5030466,sku45100 30&phoneType=null&skuType=phoneSku&selection=null& from=phoneSku&cid=aff-aw-default-54760&_requestid=273477

It's "Quidco Exclusive" apparently.
    Last edited by grumbler; 19-10-2011 at 8:55 AM.

• Stuart_W
    • By Stuart_W 19th Oct 11, 9:13 AM
    • 1,313 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    Stuart_W
    Interesting - that link was showing £31/month and I had to go via quidco to see the £13/month price. It's well hidden.

At that price ((£13x24)-£70)=£242 it is a reasonable way to get the handset interest free if you can't afford it upfront and stick in a decent SIM card. Spending the equivalent of £10/month on the handset through this deal and up to £20/month on a decent SIM will get much more value than a direct £30/month contract (and of course that all important flexibility that you don't get with being tied in to a 24 month contract)

The deal must be designed to profit from rip off run-on charges. An increasing trend it seems.
    Last edited by Stuart_W; 19-10-2011 at 9:16 AM.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 19th Oct 11, 11:05 AM
    • 6,478 Posts
    • 2,742 Thanks
    buglawton
    Maybe the Nexus S, good though it is, is on the way out (there is already a Nexus S '2' I gather)
    Its camera is the weakest point.
    The deal expires shortly.
    Got a fur sink. An electric dog polisher. A gasoline powered turtleneck sweater. And, of course, I bought some dumb stuff, too. –Steve Martin
  • markdavey
    Maybe the Nexus S, good though it is, is on the way out (there is already a Nexus S '2' I gather)
    Its camera is the weakest point.
    The deal expires shortly.
    The Galaxy Nexus was launched this morning. Wont be on sale until mid november at the earliest
  • glebe
    £13 pm.

No catches it seems except for the 100 MB mobile data allowance being laughable. Never mind as Voda's skimpy 3g coverage might not allow you to access all that data anyway.

So is it the best deal going at the moment, comparing with with all those £30/m deals out there?
    Anyone's successful on the deal? I tried a few times on vodafone's website and it just keeps telling me that I've input incorrect card details which I know it's CORRECT...
    Last edited by glebe; 20-10-2011 at 11:35 AM.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 20th Oct 11, 1:29 PM
    • 6,478 Posts
    • 2,742 Thanks
    buglawton
    Try a different card maybe? This has happened to me on occasion on other sites.
  • emmabirdgreen
    capped tariff
    Can anyone help? I am looking for a smart phone for my daughter who has learning difficulties. She looks after her phones but i need a contract which is capped so she does not go over her contract. I know Tesco have just introduced one but I can't find a comparison site which has this option.
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 11th Nov 11, 8:43 PM
    • 50,949 Posts
    • 21,495 Thanks
    grumbler
    What do you need actually: a phone or a capped contract or both?
    Another provider to check is t-mobile:
    Also, if you buy a sim-free phone elsewhere consider giffgaff.
    Last edited by grumbler; 11-11-2011 at 8:52 PM.

• radfoo
    For really cheap offers you can still get 18 month contracts with 18 months free. The phones are basic and you have to ensure you claim the cashback on the right dates (the retailers hope you will forget!)

Also suggest you google around for other cheap contract phones and comparison sites, the ones listed in the guide dont really show the best prices.
  • landwomble
    recommend: cheapest way to park a number on PAYG?
    Hi All,
    the missus is currently on O2 at about 35 quid a month. Her contract's expired, she has a new job with a company blackberry and she wants to convert to the cheapest method of "parking" her personal number on a PAYG SIM. It won't be used for outgoing calls/texts/data - it's just purely so she can keep it on for a year or so whilst everyone gets used to the new number. (Porting old number to company phone isn't an option).

What's the best way to do this? Any recommendations?
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 3rd Jan 12, 5:19 PM
    • 50,949 Posts
    • 21,495 Thanks
    grumbler
    All networks require at least 1 chargeable outgoing text or call every 180 days (90 days at some). If you miss it you can lose the credit and the number. Check the T&C and set a reminder (google calendar / outlook / http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cards/credit-card-tart).

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,783Posts Today

10,576Users online

Martin's Twitter