Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Mtaylor2
    Moving BT Master Socket
    • 10th Feb 11, 4:06 PM
    Moving BT Master Socket 10th Feb 11 at 4:06 PM
    Hello I rang up BT yesterday to enquire about moving my Master Socket NTE5 into a different room. I was quoted £127+VAT. I was under the impression that I couldn't move it myself but just thought I would double checkand was told that I COULD move it myself and was given a number to ring if I have any technical problems.0800800151. I rang the number to double check and again got told it was fine to move my master Socket and waseven told where I could get a new NTE5 socket. Still not sure what i have been advised is correct because i thought is was a big NO NO to touch bt masters. Any views PleaseMark
Page 1
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 10th Feb 11, 5:02 PM
    • 1,346 Posts
    • 474 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 10th Feb 11, 5:02 PM
    • 10th Feb 11, 5:02 PM
    The network up to the master socket doesnt belong to the service provider even if its BT Retail, its BT/Openreach who own it, and I'm pretty sure you are not allowed to tamper, but, if you did and didnt make a b*lls up, then how would they know ?...but I dont think BTR should be telling you its OK though, and if you did and had to call out OR to fix it, then a charge would probably follow
    • penrhyn
    • By penrhyn 10th Feb 11, 5:08 PM
    • 15,007 Posts
    • 8,056 Thanks
    penrhyn
    • 10th Feb 11, 5:08 PM
    • 10th Feb 11, 5:08 PM
    You are not allowed to tamper/move the master socket. It contains safety components.
    You can however remove the lower half of the faceplate and wire any extensions to the terminals provided.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Mtaylor2
    • 10th Feb 11, 5:15 PM
    • 10th Feb 11, 5:15 PM
    That's what I thought.

But it seems strange that they gave me a telephone number to ring
    if I need help. 0800800151

I have rung the number to check and sure enough they said its ok
    to move it.
    • penrhyn
    • By penrhyn 10th Feb 11, 5:17 PM
    • 15,007 Posts
    • 8,056 Thanks
    penrhyn
    • 10th Feb 11, 5:17 PM
    • 10th Feb 11, 5:17 PM
    Curiouser and curiouser?
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • DVardysShadow
    • 10th Feb 11, 6:06 PM
    • 10th Feb 11, 6:06 PM
    Hello I rang up BT yesterday to enquire about moving my Master Socket NTE5 into a different room. I was quoted
    Originally posted by Mtaylor2
    Why would you want to move the NTE5 to another room rather than connect a new socket to it?
  • Mtaylor2
    • 11th Feb 11, 9:44 AM
    • 11th Feb 11, 9:44 AM
    Hi
    Yes I could run an extension from current master position.

It would just look neater to change position of master.

To keep it simple, cable from mast meets house 5 ft from where i want my new master socket. (upstairs room with computer and router)

Currently cable runs down the house around 2 corners to kitchen, about 50ft. I could run an extension back to the room but the extension cable would just follow the same route back up to where the mast cable originally meets the house.

Mark
  • Mark_In_Hampshire
    • 11th Feb 11, 10:45 AM
    • 11th Feb 11, 10:45 AM
    It's correct that the master socket is BT's property, and you're not allowed to move or indeed tamper with it.

Most people do run an internal extension cable.

If you have ADSL broadband, you may well find that putting the modem at the end of the extension cable will lose you some speed.

The modem ideally needs to go into the master socket - split it there using the microfilters. This is of course easy if it's a wireless modem and you get a good enough signal where you actually use it.

The telephone on the end of the extension can go anywhere.
  • lucylucky
    • 11th Feb 11, 10:54 AM
    • 11th Feb 11, 10:54 AM
    I have always wondered if we should get a master socket.

We have an old GPO block in the house!
  • Mark_In_Hampshire
    So do we. That may or may not be the reason why ADSL broadband is unworkable here.

But BT is essentially a telephone company and it's fine for voice, so there you are.

That's why the line has been unused for 3 years and continues to be so.

Daft, isn't it.
  • Mtaylor2
    I have know TRIPLE checked with BT and they have said again..
    that it is an 'Urban myth' that you will get fined and its illegal to move master
    sockets.
    The rules were relaxed a few years ago.

If it goes wrong you will have to pay to get it fixed by Openreach!
    • Azari
    • By Azari 11th Feb 11, 12:29 PM
    • 3,935 Posts
    • 6,163 Thanks
    Azari
    that it is an 'Urban myth' that you will get fined and its illegal to move master
    sockets.

This actually makes sense. All they are concerned about is not having to pay to put customers' errors right.

Just don't try and strip the wires with your teeth.

Could be 'interesting' if someone rings!
  • dogfish12
    Hello, mtaylor2. Many of us were under the impression that you could not touch or remove the innards of the master socket (of whatever kind) without breaking terms and conditions of bt openreach including telephone engineers themselves. I take that if it is okay to remove the master then it is okay as well to move/cut the drop line which enters your home.
  • spike7451
    sockets.

Then I guess BT forgot to tell everyone who does it for a living..If you were told that by a BT rep,I'd take that with a big shovel full of salt...

For example,a master socket may have old style GPO wiring connected,now I have been to faults where the wiring color combination has differed between the sockets in the house!I once spent nearly half a day tracing back & toning out wires & extensions in a massive house to find what wire went where & was connected to what.

Your average DIY'er wouldn't know where to start...
  • dogfish12
    Hello Spike, as someone who works in this field have you read in black and white that it is illegal to play with the socket. Is it in the phone book perhaps?
  • spike7451
    Hello Spike, as someone who works in this field have you read in black and white that it is illegal to play with the socket. Is it in the phone book perhaps?
    Originally posted by dogfish12
    I have seen it in black & white on the regulations that govern telephone services that we were given when I worked for NTL/VM.

One of the reason's it's illigal is simply that it stops a competitor,say BT,going into a home & instead of running a new service,they use the cabling & sockets already in place that were fitted by NTL/VM ect.So if the customer decides a couple years later to go back to NTL/VM,they dont get charged for the re-install of the services that BT used & visa versa. (although it doesn't stop them anyhow!)

As to is it in the phonebook,I dunno I've never looked.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,301Posts Today

8,903Users online

Martin's Twitter