MSE News: Fuel duty hike may be scrapped

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The Government has come under pressure as the cost of a litre of unleaded soared to almost £1.30 ..."
Read the full story:
Fuel duty hike may be scrapped

OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• I was reading this on sky news this morning.

However.. in the grand scheme of things it's only a penny increase, we need that fuel stabiliser in way before March..
    :exclamatiTo the internet.. I need to complain about something!
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I agree on the fuel stabiliser issue, but what is the pricing threshold they set it at? The current 130ppl, or something that will net them less like 99ppl?

If they set it at 130ppl we'll be paying that forever, they need to get fuel down to the £1 per litre mark to make the difference everyone wants. Personally I think we're gonna get ripped off either way lol
  • I agree on the fuel stabiliser issue, but what is the pricing threshold they set it at? The current 130ppl, or something that will net them less like 99ppl?

If they set it at 130ppl we'll be paying that forever, they need to get fuel down to the £1 per litre mark to make the difference everyone wants. Personally I think we're gonna get ripped off either way lol

Indeed, I've actually been contemplating getting an LPG kit installed on my and my OH's cars!
    :exclamatiTo the internet.. I need to complain about something!
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I love my bus pass more everyday, it seems petrol costs more everytime I fill up, but that might be because it can 6 weeks between visits.

As mentioned we will pay it whaever happens, a stabiliser could work against us, but as with any tax decrease the question is, what other tax will they raise to fill the gap.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,921
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    But is there a gap to be filled - surely the govt revenue figures are based on a certain oil price - if the oil price goes up by 5p per litre they then tak in an extra 1p per litre in VAT at 20% and thus presumably exceed their revenue targets. Surely it would not be to hard to say that for this year we predict an average price of 1.15 per litre so if the price increases to 1.25 we will reduce the duty by 2p per litre to keep the tax take constant - of course the reverse would occur if the price fell to 1.05, the govt would increase duty by 2p per litre again to acheive a constant tax take.

Only cancelling out 17% of any increase / decrease isn't as much as most would like but it would still help.
    I think....
  • The last time we saw fuel as near to this price, oil was at $150 a barrel.
    Funny how it is now only at $90 a barrel and we are paying more?
  • Scrap Trident, saving £20Bn and reduce fuel duty so it's down around the £1 mark for a litre. I may start my own political party with that as our manifesto, plus taxing bankers bonuses at 75% or so.

Who's with me, bring on the revolution brothers and sisters!

:)
    :A
  • I am seriously considering an electric car. I can then use my diesel car for long jurneys only and use electric for daily commutes.
    There is going to be a number of electric cars released this year with goverment grants/subsidies to make them affordable.

In the space of 1 year the fuel price has increased by about 25p a litre.
  • kolin_2
    kolin_2 Posts: 245 Forumite
    i too am considering an electric car in 12 months time....

It really annoys me that the goverment goes on about the volatility of oil prices. of a £30 fill up at the pump, around £14 of that is tax/vat/duty.
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    That's OK, soon there will be fuel duty on electricity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure