Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • thriftyfifty
    • 21st Jan 07, 2:58 PM
    Lycatalk
    • 21st Jan 07, 2:58 PM
    Hello
    Has anyone used Lycatalk's access numbers "18500 & 14500 for calling abroad? I would be glad to hear opinions. Thanks.
    • hurrah
    • By hurrah 21st Jan 07, 4:18 PM
    • 1,335 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    hurrah
    • 21st Jan 07, 4:18 PM
    • 21st Jan 07, 4:18 PM
    Hello
    Has anyone used Lycatalk's access numbers "18500 & 14500 for calling abroad? I would be glad to hear opinions. Thanks.
    by thriftyfifty
    Why use them when you can get cheaper prices by using the Intl Call Checker, without having to pay £10 to open an account.
    • Heinz
    • By Heinz 21st Jan 07, 4:54 PM
    • 11,034 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    Heinz
    • 21st Jan 07, 4:54 PM
    • 21st Jan 07, 4:54 PM
    Why use them when you can get cheaper prices by using the Intl Call Checker, without having to pay £10 to open an account.
    by hurrah
    £10?

Now that's cheeky in the current telephony environment.

As you say, the MSE International Callchecker is a far more useful resource.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
    • vman
    • By vman 23rd Jan 07, 9:37 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    vman
    • 23rd Jan 07, 9:37 PM
    • 23rd Jan 07, 9:37 PM
    I see the money-saving tip email talks about PC-PC calls – but lets face, making calls sat in front of a computer is a bit rubbish (esp. if you work in IT – because both of you are on PCs, the person you are talking inevitably turns the conversation to you fixing all the gripes they have with their PC ).

If you had the good sense to buy a router instead of a rubbish broadband modem, then you might as well buy a IP phone and plug it straight into a spare port on that – it means that you do not need your PC switched on to make, and more importantly, receive calls. Better still, invest about £40 in an IAD and you can plug your normal phone in – remember, if you use DEC phones (like most people seem to) then you only need one phone connected to line (so no re-wiring).

If you go with a voip provider like sipgate.co.uk, then you can have a free geographical number (i.e. an 0208, 0207, etc number that non voip users can call).

I understand that NTL offer a broadband-only for about £10. I reckon that’s the cheapest way to get VOIP connected as you would no longer need to pay BT line rental.

Sorry if this is gibberish – I’m typing in a hurry!
  • skintdavid
    • 24th Jan 07, 4:22 PM
    cluelessness
    • 24th Jan 07, 4:22 PM
    A TalkTalk customer service lady told me that override numbers don't do their magic with the TalkTalk system. Is this true?

Regards to all,
    notreallydavid

When override numbers can't be used for international calls, what's so bad about phonecard-plus-landline? Phonecards don't get a mention on this site - do they deserve one?
    • Heinz
    • By Heinz 24th Jan 07, 4:33 PM
    • 11,034 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    Heinz
    • 24th Jan 07, 4:33 PM
    • 24th Jan 07, 4:33 PM
    A TalkTalk customer service lady told me that override numbers don't do their magic with the TalkTalk system. Is this true?
    by skintdavid
    Perhaps not true for some customers but certainly true for others.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
    • Mercenary
    • By Mercenary 26th Jan 07, 12:09 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 434 Thanks
    Mercenary
    • 26th Jan 07, 12:09 PM
    • 26th Jan 07, 12:09 PM
    I realise that many people may want to use a phone handset for these type of calls, but no-one seems to mention the free GoogleTalk utility that allows you to use a PC with a microphone to either talk normally, leave a voicemail message (very handy!) if they're not online just then, or type-chat to any of your contacts that also have GoogleTalk.

Granted, you each have to have a free Gmail webmail account to operate it, but it's not difficult to get an invite from a user and to set one up with an amusing nickname ..or even your real one .

I use both Skype (again through the PC) and GoogleTalk to talk to many members of my family and friends who live all over the world, and they are all completely FREE calls as I have broadband. Some of my contacts use an all-in-one microphone headset, some use a separate microphone and the PC speakers....like I do.
  • theowl
    • 30th Jul 07, 7:39 PM
    • 30th Jul 07, 7:39 PM
    I used 18185 to call the USA and the tariff message before I connected informed me that cost of call was in fact twice that advertised on the website. I went ahead with the call thinking the tariff message was wrong. However, the website says that the tariff message is always correct. I contacted CS about this as the cheaper rate continued to be advertised on the website for several days. Their replied that their website rates can be out of date and the tariff message should be relied upon.
    I think this is a con and told them so. Comparison services will use the rates seen on the websites as will many customers. Be aware.
    • Heinz
    • By Heinz 30th Jul 07, 8:19 PM
    • 11,034 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    Heinz
    I used 18185 to call the USA and the tariff message before I connected informed me that cost of call was in fact twice that advertised on the website. I went ahead with the call thinking the tariff message was wrong. However, the website says that the tariff message is always correct. I contacted CS about this as the cheaper rate continued to be advertised on the website for several days. Their replied that their website rates can be out of date and the tariff message should be relied upon.
    I think this is a con and told them so. Comparison services will use the rates seen on the websites as will many customers. Be aware.
    Originally posted by theowl
    From a BT line (i.e. using the 18185 prefix) 18185 charges ½p/minute to call the USA.

From a cable landline (i.e. using the 0808 1 707 703 gateway number), 18185 charges 1p/minute to call the USA.

Which type of line were you calling from?
    Last edited by Heinz; 30-07-2007 at 8:35 PM.
  • theowl
    Oops, you're right. I hadn't been able to find that info on their website. Now found it. I was indeed calling from a cable line.
  • simonwien
    Phoning abroad
    In todays e mail it said about you phoning Romania well with TalkTalk International 3 its now inclusive yes I know its TalkTalk but I got to say I have had NO problems in the past few months with them when I did have a question for them I even spoke to someone in the UK amazing or what?
    When I first signed up to them I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy but now I say its a good deal, be even better when I get the free Internet and not pay £10 but this is another matter.
    Simon, Kempston, Bedford
    • Heinz
    • By Heinz 15th Aug 07, 11:30 AM
    • 11,034 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    Heinz
    When I first signed up to them I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy but now I say its a good deal, be even better when I get the free Internet and not pay £10 but this is another matter.
    Originally posted by simonwien
    The fact that you're having to pay that £10 means your exchange is not yet LLU 'unbundled' (i.e. TT don't yet have their own equipment in your exchange and are currently really just re-selling BT's products to you).

From other posts, it appears the LLU 'upgrade' is the stage at which problems started for many. I hope that doesn't happen to you.
    • far
    • By far 17th Aug 07, 6:10 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    far
    If you had the good sense to buy a router instead of a rubbish broadband modem, then you might as well buy a IP phone and plug it straight into a spare port on that – it means that you do not need your PC switched on to make, and more importantly, receive calls. Better still, invest about £40 in an IAD and you can plug your normal phone in – remember, if you use DEC phones (like most people seem to) then you only need one phone connected to line (so no re-wiring).
    Originally posted by vman
    One more thing though: some routers - such as the Thomson Speedtouch 716/780 as I have found out since joining Be Unlimited - will accept normal BT plug phones without the need for IADs or anything else. Just plug in (using the supplied adapter), configure and go!
    • far
    • By far 20th Aug 07, 7:19 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    far
    There seem to be issues with the International Call Checker not updating prices for calls to Kenya from the 05pence and Abroadcall websites - both have now gone up to 4pm a minute and say so on their site but neither the Call Checker here nor on Niftylist have picked this up yet - any thoughts why?
    • Heinz
    • By Heinz 20th Aug 07, 7:25 PM
    • 11,034 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    Heinz
    There seem to be issues with the International Call Checker not updating prices for calls to Kenya from the 05pence and Abroadcall websites - both have now gone up to 4pm a minute and say so on their site but neither the Call Checker here nor on Niftylist have picked this up yet - any thoughts why?
    Originally posted by far
    The incongruously-named http://www.05pence.co.uk/ is now showing 4p/minute (0844 399 05 05) but the near-identical site of http://www.abroadtel.co.uk/ is now showing 5p/minute (0844 452 00 05).

I've e-mailed Callchecker admin.
    Last edited by Heinz; 20-08-2007 at 7:29 PM.
  • MSE CheckerMan
    Far,

The International CallChecker is showing the correct rates for Kenya - the list updates daily, FYI.

Also, you have to be careful with names of some providers, as currently this is AbroadCall, AbroadPhone and AbroadTel!

Thanks,
    MSE CheckerMan
    I look after the CallChecker and FlightChecker.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips so you hear first.

View Board Guides and Admins
    • Heinz
    • By Heinz 21st Aug 07, 7:41 AM
    • 11,034 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    Heinz
    Also, you have to be careful with names of some providers, as currently this is AbroadCall, AbroadPhone and AbroadTel!
    Originally posted by MSE CheckerMan
    My mistake, not far's - I misread the Abroadcall far quoted and checked the Abroadtel website!

As you say, the similarity of names (and, in fact, the layout of the websites) makes it easy to mix them up.
    • z1000000
    • By z1000000 7th Jan 08, 9:47 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    z1000000
    Hi. For calls to Riyadh at the moment, Call Happy.co.uk is 2p a min.
    I can see why they don't show up on the call checker or nifty List, as they have different prices to different parts of Saudi.
    So I don't know how they could be added to the system, but I thought I would mention it.
    X
  • BexTech
    I see the money-saving tip email talks about PC-PC calls – but lets face, making calls sat in front of a computer is a bit rubbish (esp. if you work in IT – because both of you are on PCs, the person you are talking inevitably turns the conversation to you fixing all the gripes they have with their PC ).

If you had the good sense to buy a router instead of a rubbish broadband modem, then you might as well buy a IP phone and plug it straight into a spare port on that – it means that you do not need your PC switched on to make, and more importantly, receive calls. Better still, invest about £40 in an IAD and you can plug your normal phone in – remember, if you use DECT phones (like most people seem to) then you only need one phone connected to line (so no re-wiring).

If you go with a voip provider like sipgate.co.uk, then you can have a free geographical number (i.e. an 020, etc number that non voip users can call).

I understand that NTL offer a broadband-only for about £10. I reckon that’s the cheapest way to get VOIP connected as you would no longer need to pay BT line rental.

Sorry if this is gibberish – I’m typing in a hurry!
    Originally posted by vman
    This is what I've been doing for 2.5 years over cable broadband, an ATA with two lines and my home phones corded and DECT connected, I have a Sipgate line with local number and a VoIPStunt line with local number (I could use one of the other Betamax VoIP services, but I'm happy with the local number they issued me, very memorable).

I have a Linksys PAP2 ATA connected to my router, it's set up so anyone using wouldn't even notice it wasn't a normal phone line, with Sipgate you can call other Sipgate users (plus some some other VoIP providers who have peering arrangements for free) and with VoIPStunt or the other Betamax services you can call any other Betamax VoIP customer for free (though with these you need to add the usernames to a speed dial or make a dial-plan for them, as you can't dial letters on a normal phone).

With both companies like the other VoIP providers, the other person you are calling can be using a PC or an ATA or a router with built-in VoIP.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,707Posts Today

8,159Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @jaihy: @MartinSLewis thank you! Like so many, I hadn't claimed ppi. During the last series I filled in the form...£2,700 cheque in the?

• Check if you're owed, totally free tool to help here... https://t.co/2Oto4B86tq https://t.co/vOpsYU6b3g

• Today's twitter poll: If they made a rule to standardise chips in the UK - which of these four (I only get 4 options) would u want it to be?

• Follow Martin