Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Cooking A Gammon Joint in the Slow Cooker (Page 10)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Cooking A Gammon Joint in the Slow Cooker
Views: 214,976
# 181
Farway
Old 24-12-2010, 4:45 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I did and it worked fine

Not sure I like the coke style taste though as it was my first time, I know Nigella etc rave over it but for me it is "Emperor's clothes". Hope yours turns out OK
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 182
Penelope Penguin
Old 24-12-2010, 5:03 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueMarch11 View Post
Hi All

Im doing a bit of gammon for Boxing Day, do I just chuck it in the slow cooker and slosh a bit of coke in? Will that do?

Also, is better to have it on low all day tomorrow or overnight tomorrow night?

Thanks!
Have you apple juice or cider? Use that to cooke with and save the coke for cleaning the loo Then use any leftover stock to make gammon (or bacon) and lentil soup.

Cook it either tomorrow or overnight.
Life is too short to clean behind the fridge
# 183
gravitytolls
Old 27-12-2010, 3:43 PM

I generally boil my ham at least twice, rinsing in between, to remove excess salt, do I still need to do this before cooking in the SC?

Love the idea of apple juice n honey. Yum.
I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
# 184
deedardingle
Old 30-12-2010, 10:50 AM
MoneySaving Convert

This will be my first attempt at cooking a gammon joint in the slow cooker and I plan to use a little water or apple juice, a halved onion and a bay leaf. I would like it to be ready for around 4pm tomorrow but am unsure on which setting to use and how long to cook it for - it is 5 lbs in weight. Any advice please?
# 185
rfeenie
Old 30-12-2010, 11:05 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedardingle View Post
This will be my first attempt at cooking a gammon joint in the slow cooker and I plan to use a little water or apple juice, a halved onion and a bay leaf. I would like it to be ready for around 4pm tomorrow but am unsure on which setting to use and how long to cook it for - it is 5 lbs in weight. Any advice please?

HI

I got a book on slow cooking from Santa, going by what it says your 5lbs joint would need cooked for around 7 or 8 hours on the high setting. stick 3 or 4 cloves in your onion too, if you have them.

Also place the joint in a pot of cold water overnight to remove excess salt.
The Following User Says Thank You to rfeenie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 186
Lotus-eater
Old 30-12-2010, 11:45 AM

Default Cooked Ham for New Year?

I cooked a big gammon for Christmas and as half the family were ill still have loads left. Friends coming for New Year and I would like to use the sliced cooked ham as the main part of a dinner rather than buy more meat!! Any suggestions please? Do I have to serve it cold or can I warm it up to look as if it's just freshly roasted?
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
# 187
~moneysavingnovice~
Old 08-01-2011, 9:12 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Gammon help

I've never cooked gammon before and I need your help!

Basically, I want to do two meals from my joint in the slow cooker with apple juice, and then a third meal with cauliflower cheese.

Is it best to cut the joint, and only slow-cook half of it, or to do it all at once? If so, how long will it keep for? Will we be ok eating it tonight, Sun and Mon? Oh, and do I need to boil the joint before I put it in the slow cooker?

Thank you!!
Mortgage148,725 Student loan13,050 HSBC loan12,221
AprGC:/320
# 188
gizmo111
Old 08-01-2011, 12:49 PM

I don't boil gammon but leave it to soak in cold water for a few hours before putting in SC. Cook it whole then slice as you need, it freezes well cooked as well.
Mama read so much about the dangers of drinking alcohol and eating chocolate that she immediately gave up reading.
The Following User Says Thank You to gizmo111 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 189
adelight
Old 08-01-2011, 12:51 PM

Soak in cold water for a few hours then pop in the SC on low for as long as it takes. It keeps for a good while, not sure how long is recommended but last time I did one I was eating it for over a week, maybe almost two and have some frozen in stews.
Living cheap in central London
The Following User Says Thank You to adelight For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 190
~moneysavingnovice~
Old 08-01-2011, 1:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Brill, thanks both!
# 191
esmf73
Old 08-01-2011, 1:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I did this recently - soaked it for hours and hours (because I forgot about it!) then roasted it in the oven and for the last half hour of cooking, studded the top with cloves and patted brown sugar in it. Tasted lovely - am thinking that I'll get more gammon and cook it as its cheaper than buying nice quality ham for the childrens sandwiches, and it means there is always something for us to pick at too.
2014 will be all about ME!

Mortgage free. Will be debt free in October 2014. Credit card 3000
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to esmf73 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 192
hilstep2000
Old 08-01-2011, 2:11 PM

I did ours over Xmas using the Hairy Bikers version. It was gorgeous!
Here's the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/ho...aladegla_93186
Really easy to do, and when we have gammon again that's how I am going to do it.
I Believe in saving money!!!
A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hilstep2000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 193
Resisted
Old 08-01-2011, 3:53 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

We did a gammon joint on nyd, actually cooked it on nye. Before going to the pub, chopped a couple of onions, carrots and parsnips and placed the whole lot in the slow cooker with the gammon. Make some tiny slits in the joint and then fill the slow cooker up with coke (needs to be full fat proper coke) chucked it on at about 2am and turned it off when I got up at about 10. After that, smear some honey over the joint and pop it in the oven at a highish heat for 30 mins. Bellisimo!

I don't know if they're still at it but I know recently tesco were doing 2.6kg gammon joints for 6.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resisted For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 194
jackieb
Old 08-01-2011, 3:57 PM

I bought a half price joint from Tesco - down from 12 to 6. I've never cooked one before. It didn't say to soak it. It only said to run it under cold water then dry it, which I did. It took just over 3 hours in the oven but it was too salty. About an hour after i'd eaten it with a salad I was very sick. It's really put me off. I thought i'd read somewhere that you had to soak it but the instructions on this joint didn't tell you to, so I didn't.
The Following User Says Thank You to jackieb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 195
anguk
Old 08-01-2011, 4:39 PM

I always soak gammon joints overnight because there's just no way of knowing how salty they are until you've cooked and tasted it. I bought a couple of the 6 Tesco gammons, 1 is in the freezer and the other was done in the slow cooker after soaking it overnight. It was beautiful, we've had it with salad, in soup, sliced in sandwiches and there's some sliced in portions in the freezer.
Dum Spiro Spero
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anguk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 196
tiredwithtwins
Old 08-01-2011, 5:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i usually cook the joint wrapped in foil on a medium heat for a couple of hours (tend to just play it by ear re timing, iykwim!) and ive never had a too-salty gammon joint so not sure about soaking etc.

my one money saving tip would be to only cook the amount you need - if I buy a large piece and cook it in one go, in our house it just gets nibbled and wont stretch to another meal!! now i just cut up the large joint into smaller joints and cook them as needed.

yummy, i love gammon!
xmas fund;100/500
wading through the treacle of life
The Following User Says Thank You to tiredwithtwins For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 197
bluebag
Old 08-01-2011, 6:19 PM

i always soak it in water overnight, then bring it to boil and change the water, then cook, this seems to reduce the saltiness.
# 198
zippychick
Old 09-01-2011, 3:24 PM

ive merged this with the thread on cooking a gammon joint in the slow cooker.

thanks

Zip
I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
Norn Iron club member #380

# 199
~moneysavingnovice~
Old 09-01-2011, 3:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Just to report back, the gammon in apple juice was amazing!! And enough for 3-4 dinners easily!
# 200
kirstiex
Old 13-03-2011, 7:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Slow cooker help for a novice!

Evening all

Have recently purchased a slow cooker in an attempt to have some healthy meals for when I come home (living on my own during week and getting lazy with cooking!).

This will be my first attempt and have a 750g gammon joint that I'd like to cook tomorrow - there is much mention of using coke, apple juice, cider etc which I will try (not altogether tho!) but my question is how much liquid do I need to use - does it need to completely cover the joint?

Also how long should I cook for and on low or high?

Sorry for all the questions