Energy price jumps begin today with Scottish Power rise News Discussion

Former_MSE_Archna
Former_MSE_Archna Posts: 1,903 Forumite
First Post
edited 25 November 2010 at 7:35PM in Energy
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"At least 13.5 million households will be hit by the hikes, just as the bitter winter cold snap takes hold ..."

Comments

• I messed up there I think.
    I supplied SP with my meter reading as I am in the process of switching. Maybe I should have given higher readings so that I pay more to my previous supplier that looks marginally cheaper now. I will still save over all though due to the pending switching fee of £50. Add to that my old supplier is bound to hike the prices soon too in any case.
    I dislike the amount of notice these companies can give. Indeed, I understand that they can up the price and tell you a few weeks later. I know what responses I would get if I pulled a stunt like that on my customers.
    I finally succumbed this evening and stuck the heating on too.
    Ah well. I may be skint but no point freezing due to trivial stuff like that.
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Can someone explain this to me please. I'm on SP Online Energy Saver 10, signed up a few months ago. Will my prices go up as a result of this? I haven't had any contact from SP to say so. And how does my tariff differ from Energy Saver 11, or 9 for that matter?
  • Hi,

rev_henry

have a look here, might help.
  • Despite Scottish Power saying prices will rise by an AVERAGE 8.9% (elec) and 2% (gas), there are huge tariff and regional variations. Please check how much your own bills are rising.
    I am on their Online Energy Saver 9 in the Norweb region and my elec price is going up by 24%, my gas by 15% (for the first 1143kw/quarter). This is not a mistake, I really can do the maths!!
    This is an online energy deal which bears a cancellation charge before 31 March 2011, so I am stuck with huge price increases or bearing the cancellation charge and switching.
    I think this is outrageous, and the announcement by Scottish Power was misleading.
    Everyone please find your new prices on the Scottish Power website and compare them to find your own individual price rise.
  • Hi,

I was doing a wee check this morning, and my electricity increase would've been 13.1%, but luckily I capped day before the increase, so price fixed untill Dec 2012.
  • Hi,
    Have you compared your prices with the new Online Enery Saver 11?
    I am on version 7 at the moment and the new charges for that show an apparent big increase in the gas price. This appears to be a mistake on the SP site. The new version 11 only charges the higher gas rate for the first 670 kwh and I believe, from statement I have seen elsewhere, that this should apply to the new version 7 tariff as well, but it still shows the old value.
    My version 7 ends 30th Nov so I could switch to the new version 11, an increase from £626 to £666 for me in Southern area.
    I have switched tariffs within SP a couple of times before, without them applying the cancellation charge, but I've always checked with them first.

Dave
  • busybee100
    busybee100 Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Having spoken to SP thay do not seem to know about the 20 day rule.. am waiting for complaints team to get back to me.

Energy regulator Ofgem allows customers to reject hikes as long as they inform their supplier within 20 working days of receiving notification of the increase.
    Ofgem suggests you write or email so there is a record of your request.
    Users must then initiate the switch within 15 working days of informing their existing supplier they want to leave.
  • busybee100
    That was quick, op called to say that is correct and now need to be contacted by next supplier within 15 days.

Off to EDF:D
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    busybee100 wrote: »
    Having spoken to SP thay do not seem to know about the 20 day rule.. am waiting for complaints team to get back to me.

Energy regulator Ofgem allows customers to reject hikes as long as they inform their supplier within 20 working days of receiving notification of the increase.
    Ofgem suggests you write or email so there is a record of your request.
    Users must then initiate the switch within 15 working days of informing their existing supplier they want to leave.

If you are on one of the Online Energy Saver tariffs, they implemented an exit fee of £50 for dual fuel - as they are hiking their prices, are you still liable to this? I appreciate that having an exit penalty may be appropriate for fixed tariffs, but for variable tariffs it seems wrong - has it been challenged by watchdogs (as all enegy companies are doing it!).

We signed up to Online Energy Saver 10 in July, only finally got access to the online account this week (having chased again) to find that for some reason they had moved us on to Standard Tariff in early October and not informed us (despite the contract letter in early August stating we are on Online Energy Saver 10). Having queried this, they have made amendments to our account and put us on to Online Energy Saver 11, back dated to when they originally switch us to Standard. Looking at uSwitch and other comparison sites, Online Energy Saver 11 is around £70 more expensive than Saver 10 for our usage. Not happy and have complained!

Anon
  • busybee100
    edited 26 November 2010 at 12:50PM
    No I'll still pay have to pay the exit fee but that can be covered by the £80+ I get from Topcashback for switching to EDF.

Although EDF were £23 more expensive, their online v7 credits your account with £100 (£75 electric and £25 gas) if applied for before 30th November.

And the cancellation fee for EDF v7 only applies until 31st December.

And MSE suggest in the SP article that EDF are not planning price rises until March!!

So all in all I should be £100 better off and not tied in after December :D

Edited to add, and fixed at old v9 prices until switched over.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure