Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Marriage, Relationships & Families > How much to have wedding ring made bigger (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How much to have wedding ring made bigger
Closed Thread
Views: 6,799
# 1
mpet
Old 21-11-2010, 11:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default How much to have wedding ring made bigger

Apologies if this is not the right forum.

I have noticed that my wedding ring has become quite tight - I'm no longer the sylph-like figure I was when I got married 27 years ago

I managed to get it off my finger with a lot of tugging and a lot of shampoo. I now want to have it made bigger - probably 2 sizes. It is a 9ct band with a sort of criss cross cut design on it.

Has anyone any idea how much this should cost (in London).
# 2
lavidaloca
Old 22-11-2010, 9:48 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpet View Post
Apologies if this is not the right forum.

I have noticed that my wedding ring has become quite tight - I'm no longer the sylph-like figure I was when I got married 27 years ago

I managed to get it off my finger with a lot of tugging and a lot of shampoo. I now want to have it made bigger - probably 2 sizes. It is a 9ct band with a sort of criss cross cut design on it.

Has anyone any idea how much this should cost (in London).
I had mine made bigger around two years ago and it was about 35 - Samuels Jewellers. Same 9ct band with a pattern design. They just put plain gold into the band but it's ok as I just make sure the plain is underneath my finger ifyswim.
The Following User Says Thank You to lavidaloca For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
travelgran
Old 22-11-2010, 11:05 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

When I had some rings made slightly bigger all they needed to do was 'stretch' them - no extra gold needed. I'd get a quote from both an independent jeweller as well as a chain. Can't remember the cost as it was years ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to travelgran For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
mpet
Old 22-11-2010, 11:50 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks! It doesn't seem as pricey as I thought it might be
# 5
LEJC
Old 22-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

There is an element of stretch in a ring and the general rule is that it could go up or down fairly easily by 3 sizes.....I would take it to a good jeweller for a quote....an independant jeweller is very good on these types of things and will be able to do the job usually within a couple of hours.
Ther may be a slight problem however if your ring needs to go up more than 3 sizes or is quite thin as you say there is a pattern on the ring...if this is the case the jeweller will be able to hopefully add a piece of gold to the ring,but this may increase the cost and the time it takes to do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LEJC For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
mpet
Old 22-11-2010, 1:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The ring is a barrell shaped ring (I think that is the correct description), so it may be thick enough to stretch. There is a 'proper' jewellers near me who do repairs (not a chain) so I will take it in there and see what they say.
# 7
property.advert
Old 22-11-2010, 5:18 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Costs nothing and should save you some money. Go on a diet

Not being too sarcastic, but instead of just accepting the fact that you are larger now than before, it might be a catalyst for change ?
# 8
Gingham Ribbon
Old 22-11-2010, 7:39 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I think I paid 40 for 2 rings. They were stretched. One is patterned and it looks exactly as it did before. It was an independent jewellers.
May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gingham Ribbon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
mpet
Old 22-11-2010, 10:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by property.advert View Post
Costs nothing and should save you some money. Go on a diet

Not being too sarcastic, but instead of just accepting the fact that you are larger now than before, it might be a catalyst for change ?
Yes, I did consider that as an option, but my 'sylph like' comments were a bit tongue in cheek

Whilst I certainly have gained a few pounds since I was 24, the problem seems to be more on the knuckle joint - where my skin is getting a bit 'wrinkly' it was very difficult to remove the ring - and now I seem to be plagued with 'hot flushes' my fingers seem to swell a bit when I get hot.
# 10
mpet
Old 22-11-2010, 10:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingham Ribbon View Post
I think I paid 40 for 2 rings. They were stretched. One is patterned and it looks exactly as it did before. It was an independent jewellers.
I'm hoping that I may be ablt to get the ring stretched as I've tried on another ring and I think it is one size different - so it may be possible.
Closed Thread