Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mpet
    • By mpet 21st Nov 10, 11:04 PM
    • 350Posts
    • 199Thanks
    mpet
    How much to have wedding ring made bigger
    • 21st Nov 10, 11:04 PM
    How much to have wedding ring made bigger 21st Nov 10 at 11:04 PM
    Apologies if this is not the right forum.

I have noticed that my wedding ring has become quite tight - I'm no longer the sylph-like figure I was when I got married 27 years ago

I managed to get it off my finger with a lot of tugging and a lot of shampoo. I now want to have it made bigger - probably 2 sizes. It is a 9ct band with a sort of criss cross cut design on it.

Has anyone any idea how much this should cost (in London).
Page 1
    • lavidaloca
    • By lavidaloca 22nd Nov 10, 9:48 AM
    • 538 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    lavidaloca
    • 22nd Nov 10, 9:48 AM
    • 22nd Nov 10, 9:48 AM
    Apologies if this is not the right forum.

I have noticed that my wedding ring has become quite tight - I'm no longer the sylph-like figure I was when I got married 27 years ago

I managed to get it off my finger with a lot of tugging and a lot of shampoo. I now want to have it made bigger - probably 2 sizes. It is a 9ct band with a sort of criss cross cut design on it.

Has anyone any idea how much this should cost (in London).
    Originally posted by mpet
    I had mine made bigger around two years ago and it was about £35 - Samuels Jewellers. Same 9ct band with a pattern design. They just put plain gold into the band but it's ok as I just make sure the plain is underneath my finger ifyswim.
    • travelgran
    • By travelgran 22nd Nov 10, 11:05 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 483 Thanks
    travelgran
    • 22nd Nov 10, 11:05 AM
    • 22nd Nov 10, 11:05 AM
    When I had some rings made slightly bigger all they needed to do was 'stretch' them - no extra gold needed. I'd get a quote from both an independent jeweller as well as a chain. Can't remember the cost as it was years ago.
    • mpet
    • By mpet 22nd Nov 10, 11:50 AM
    • 350 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    mpet
    • 22nd Nov 10, 11:50 AM
    • 22nd Nov 10, 11:50 AM
    Thanks! It doesn't seem as pricey as I thought it might be
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 22nd Nov 10, 12:48 PM
    • 8,006 Posts
    • 47,626 Thanks
    LEJC
    • 22nd Nov 10, 12:48 PM
    • 22nd Nov 10, 12:48 PM
    There is an element of stretch in a ring and the general rule is that it could go up or down fairly easily by 3 sizes.....I would take it to a good jeweller for a quote....an independant jeweller is very good on these types of things and will be able to do the job usually within a couple of hours.
    Ther may be a slight problem however if your ring needs to go up more than 3 sizes or is quite thin as you say there is a pattern on the ring...if this is the case the jeweller will be able to hopefully add a piece of gold to the ring,but this may increase the cost and the time it takes to do.
    • mpet
    • By mpet 22nd Nov 10, 1:05 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    mpet
    • 22nd Nov 10, 1:05 PM
    • 22nd Nov 10, 1:05 PM
    The ring is a barrell shaped ring (I think that is the correct description), so it may be thick enough to stretch. There is a 'proper' jewellers near me who do repairs (not a chain) so I will take it in there and see what they say.
    • property.advert
    • By property.advert 22nd Nov 10, 5:18 PM
    • 4,040 Posts
    • 2,158 Thanks
    property.advert
    • 22nd Nov 10, 5:18 PM
    • 22nd Nov 10, 5:18 PM
    Costs nothing and should save you some money. Go on a diet

Not being too sarcastic, but instead of just accepting the fact that you are larger now than before, it might be a catalyst for change ?
  • Gingham Ribbon
    • 22nd Nov 10, 7:39 PM
    • 22nd Nov 10, 7:39 PM
    I think I paid £40 for 2 rings. They were stretched. One is patterned and it looks exactly as it did before. It was an independent jewellers.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
    • mpet
    • By mpet 22nd Nov 10, 10:56 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    mpet
    • 22nd Nov 10, 10:56 PM
    • 22nd Nov 10, 10:56 PM
    Costs nothing and should save you some money. Go on a diet

Not being too sarcastic, but instead of just accepting the fact that you are larger now than before, it might be a catalyst for change ?
    Originally posted by property.advert
    Yes, I did consider that as an option, but my 'sylph like' comments were a bit tongue in cheek

Whilst I certainly have gained a few pounds since I was 24, the problem seems to be more on the knuckle joint - where my skin is getting a bit 'wrinkly' it was very difficult to remove the ring - and now I seem to be plagued with 'hot flushes' my fingers seem to swell a bit when I get hot.
    • mpet
    • By mpet 22nd Nov 10, 10:59 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    mpet
    I think I paid £40 for 2 rings. They were stretched. One is patterned and it looks exactly as it did before. It was an independent jewellers.
    Originally posted by Gingham Ribbon
    I'm hoping that I may be ablt to get the ring stretched as I've tried on another ring and I think it is one size different - so it may be possible.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

583Posts Today

3,188Users online

Martin's Twitter