Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • timmyt
    • 18th Nov 10, 11:00 PM
    • 18th Nov 10, 11:00 PM
    the EA is correct.

and use an EA, they squeeze a buyer for more money than you can, and end up paying their own way...and then some.

but your call
    My posts are just my opinions and are not offered as legal advice - though I consider them darn fine opinions none the less.

My bad spelling...well I rush type these opinions on my own time, so sorry, but they are free.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 18th Nov 10, 11:04 PM
    • 33,240 Posts
    • 35,304 Thanks
    G_M
    • 18th Nov 10, 11:04 PM
    • 18th Nov 10, 11:04 PM
    You only need an EPC to market the property. If you don't market it (ie your neighbour/relative is buying) you don't need one. Word of mouth is not marketing.
  • Welsh Totster
    • 18th Nov 10, 11:05 PM
    • 18th Nov 10, 11:05 PM
    Thanks Timmy. That doesn't answer my question though. I know I'd need an EPC if I was going through an EA. But if I'm not, do I still require one. Oh and I don't think the EA would "squeeze" any more money out if anyone except me and I can do with keeping the £3k+ they'd be charging!
  • Welsh Totster
    • 18th Nov 10, 11:08 PM
    • 18th Nov 10, 11:08 PM
    Thanks GM, that makes sense as I'm not marketing it, I just happen to know someone who is interested which is quite handy if he does want to buy it!
    • david29dpo
    • By david29dpo 19th Nov 10, 7:26 AM
    • 3,658 Posts
    • 1,386 Thanks
    david29dpo
    • 19th Nov 10, 7:26 AM
    • 19th Nov 10, 7:26 AM
    If you are not marketing, you only need an EPC on exchange of contracts. Plenty on the net from £45.00
  • timmyt
    • 19th Nov 10, 10:32 PM
    • 19th Nov 10, 10:32 PM
    You only need an EPC to market the property. If you don't market it (ie your neighbour/relative is buying) you don't need one. Word of mouth is not marketing.
    Originally posted by G_M
    wrong. if I sell my house I need to get an EPC for the buyer that is EU reulations in UK law now. Nothing to do with 'marketing' which was the old HIP rules.

so back to my original post....the EA was right, and if you go private, you need an EPC too, and use an EA as they will get the best price...unless you are a Dodo and go fix fee with an estate agent like some idiots do, wereupon the agent won't care what price they sell for.

national estate agents - avoid and use local indeedent who trade on their name and reputation and who 'care' - are the culprits in fixed fees.
    My posts are just my opinions and are not offered as legal advice - though I consider them darn fine opinions none the less.

My bad spelling...well I rush type these opinions on my own time, so sorry, but they are free.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,017Posts Today

8,620Users online

Martin's Twitter