MSE News: OFT crackdown on debt management firms

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"More than 100 companies face losing their licence after the trading watchdog uncovered a catalogue of abuses ..."

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Consumers are expected to have paid £250 million in fees to debt management companies by the end of this year.

Wow. Makes you sick doesn't it.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • hi can you help me and my partner have just went with a debt managment company how do we know if its dodgy thanks
  • Good news but how about the OFT cracking down on all the DCAs and the cronies that work for them as well as the debt collection departments of some of the major credit card companies - they cause untold misery for thousands of people!
  • http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/sep/28/debt-management-companies-warned-closure-oft

Pay plan whom we are with is ok.. its work taking a look, think FSA or OFT, is taking a look at some practices of companies...

wonder these sound apply to those inhouse, debt collecting, like

reliable collection, mackenzie hall and others too

best wishes to all
  • Nice find lindann!
    Perhaps the money grabbing debt management companies will now face closure!
    Geek by Nature.. Geek by Profession!
    Home Owner as of 01/10/2014
    Married to my Soul mate 15/06/2018
  • the review is here: http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/credit_licences/OFT1274.pdf

Unfortunately.. the OFT have also said this:
    OFT wrote:
    The OFT is not able to name the 129 companies because of disclosure restrictions under Part 9 of the Enterprise Act 2002. Where the OFT uses its formal powers under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 to refuse or revoke a credit licence, decisions are made public on the Consumer Credit Public Register.

1.21 In some cases, it appears that business models may be set up to take
    the maximum amount of money from a consumer regardless of their
    circumstances.
    Shocking!!!!
    Geek by Nature.. Geek by Profession!
    Home Owner as of 01/10/2014
    Married to my Soul mate 15/06/2018
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    samlawrie wrote: »
    hi can you help me and my partner have just went with a debt managment company how do we know if its dodgy thanks

If it is not CCCS or Payplan and you are being charged fees, then you are throwing money down the drain and being exploited regardless of whether it was one of these 129.

Switch to CCCS or Payplan. Everything you pay them goes to pay off your debts.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • If it is not one of the recognised charities it does not mean they are dodgy but as Fermi has pointed out they will at the very least be charging you for a service you can get for free from one of the charities :)
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • Let's hope we start to see some of the dodgy outfits actually having their licences removed then and not just threats and warnings - we need some strong action.
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business