Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > How many times can you reheat a casserole? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How many times can you reheat a casserole?
Views: 37,910
# 1
Bogof_Babe
Old 13-03-2005, 6:56 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default How many times can you reheat a casserole?

I made a huge lamb casserole yesterday (to save time today), and reheated it today for my family gathering. There is quite a bit left, which is now in the fridge. Would it be safe to reheat it yet again, or should I ditch it?

Hubby says well they used to have stockpots in the "old days" that went on for weeks and must have been reheated over and over. I'm still not quite sure though. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks (hopefully)...:confused:
I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Quackers
Old 13-03-2005, 7:03 PM

I imagine 'guidlines' would suggest you didn't reheat again BUT I bet many people would?

My hubby would but I wouldn't - I'm fussier. I'm a veggie and would reheat veggie meals more than once but not meat ones. Not even sure if there is any logic behind this - lol.

I think your hubby is right - I can remember when I was little my Nan reheating over and over. Sometimes it didn't even make it to the fridge
Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
# 3
scoot1on1
Old 13-03-2005, 7:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi
Really it should be ditched im afraid, you can only reheat foods once more after cooking. Well thats what we are told by the EHO in the catering industry.
These are the Good 'ol Days just wait and see!
# 4
needmoney
Old 13-03-2005, 7:27 PM

Interesting this, not so much the reheating thing but the old days I can remember my parents still eating their sunday joint on a wednesday and definitely no fridges. The milk in summer time was kept on the back step in a bucket of water and my mother still drunk it when it went sour, She also used to eat raw sausages when they were 'on the turn' UUUUUUgh! I couldn't have ever done that but she lived till she was almos91 and would say to me if I turned my nose up at anything " if you're hungry you'll eat". But also towards the end of her days she would say Food is just not like it used to be and that I think is the crux of it food was definitely better in those days.
Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.
Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

# 5
Bogof_Babe
Old 13-03-2005, 7:29 PM

Oh dear, well better safe than sorry I guess. What a shame. You can never tell how much is going to be left over when entertaining, and it goes totally against the grain to waste anything, but on the other hand if salmonella is the alternative............
I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

# 6
trafalgar
Old 13-03-2005, 10:52 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoney
Interesting this, not so much the reheating thing but the old days I can remember my parents still eating their sunday joint on a wednesday and definitely no fridges.
Me too,our sunday roast then was a ham hock and by the end of the week it was soup.....................in between having various things added to make it stretch,never came off the stove and into a fridge,we didn't have one.........it would go into the larder where it was cool and out again to have more added.....................never did us any harm.:rolleyes: least I don't think it did

but then we didn't have central heating and insulated homes..........just a thought

Last edited by trafalgar; 13-03-2005 at 10:58 PM.
# 7
suki1964
Old 13-03-2005, 11:40 PM

I have reheated more then once and never came to any harm. I have always stored left overs in the fridge as soon as cool enough and have reheated till piping hot, using the microwave to be sure I have got to the centre of the meat
# 8
Curry Queen
Old 14-03-2005, 9:16 AM

I think these days people are just too over-cautious and with all the anti-bac products and misuse of antibiotics etc our bodies are just not immune to many of the bugs that the older generations coped with.

I even read somewhere recently that recommended all babies feeding utensils and toys etc be sterilised until they're over a year old!!! I never sterilised anything for my kids as they were breast-fed the first few months anyway and even when on the bottle, I just made sure it was properly cleaned out after every use and they never came to any harm :confused:
"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
~
It is that what you do, good or bad,
will come back to you three times as strong!

# 9
Austin Allegro
Old 14-03-2005, 9:47 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've always heard that you can reheat anything as long as it's piping hot, not just warmed up. The only things I've always been told NOT to do are to refreeze food that's thawed out, or to mix cooked and raw foods or chop them on the same board.

And yes, modern hygiene does seem excessive. We are sold products to obliterate bacteria, and then flogged yoghurts to replace 'friendly' bacteria!
# 10
elona
Old 14-03-2005, 10:29 AM

Smile

I agree with Austin Allegro

As long as it is piping hot and you are not serving it to anyone young ,elderly or invalid - it should be all right. I would risk it even although it is not approved advice.
"This site is addictive!"
Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
Preemie hats - 2.
# 11
jennyjo
Old 14-03-2005, 10:35 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Taken from the Food Standards Agency Site

Leftovers

If you have cooked food that you aren't going to eat straight away, cool it as quickly as possible (ideally within one to two hours) and then store it in the fridge. Don't keep leftovers for longer than two days.

When you reheat food, make sure that it's piping hot all the way through. If the food is only warm it might not be safe to eat. Don't reheat food more than once.

not a newbie now: but still be gentle with me
# 12
BG Porgy
Old 14-03-2005, 10:49 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via AIM to BG Porgy
Default Waste Not want not

Hi Y'all, interesting thread this

Basically it is down to food safety which is totally different from food quality I am old enough to have lived in the days pre 'fridges etc mentioned by many

It is down to time and temperature

Generally speaking do not leave 'risk' foods out in nice warm temperatures for any length of time where the 'bugs' can grow. They double their numbers every 20 min....do the sums and see how quick you are into the millions. If you want to retain it for use in future days then take what you want then get it back into the fridge asap Trouble is that some sneaky bacteria which grow when it is nice and warm and moist can develop nasties called Toxins which are not then killed off when heated ...even boiling The bugs themselves are killed but not the toxins left behind

The common sense rule that used to apply with stock pots was to boil them up so yes, the food has to be reheated properly ..that is if you are to eat it warm

Bugs have evolved over the years and there are new ones which did not exist or were never detected years ago
As far as frozen food is concerned the risks are minimal if the general rule about leaving it lying about in warm temps fo0r any lenght of time is applied Just think about al the frozen food that has partially defrosted in the back of cars and then been refrozen
It is more one of food quality as food which is re frozen in a domestic type freezes loses quality as a result of the water molecules expanding as they freeze

Same with out of date code foods they have a factor of safety built in so they are generally safe to eat

The business side and the law have to take a much more stringent attitude than what you can apply at home as liabilities come into play
Obviously with the elderly , babies and those already sick or immuno compromised you would err more on the side of caution but hey ..if you are a generally healthy lump then we waste far to much good food

Personally I actively seek out near out of date code foods which are reduced
I reheat and Refreeeze regularly and on more than one occasion.

Watch out for a change in law at the end of 2005 when supermarkets will have to deal with out of date packaged meat products in a more expensive way......to avoid waste charges they will come up with ways to encourage us to buy it at reduced rates.

All of the above is my personal opinion and choice It should not be taken as a recomendation by me or by anyone You should satisfy yourself about food safety

In a recent report it was highlighted that the average family in the UK disposes of c. 400 worth of unused food per year... what a waste

BG Porgy
# 13
Queenie
Old 14-03-2005, 11:13 AM

I have made casseroles one day, put it in the fridge overnight, skimmed off the fat and reheated it the next day for the meal; any leftover casserole is then made into a pie for the day after.

I would not do that with chicken or pork - but with beef and lamb, certainly.

Maybe I'm like that because I was brought up with the "Waste not, want not" brainwashing I have yet to have gippy-tum from it.

Thanks for the quote jennyjo - it's important we all know what the Food Agency recommends.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
# 14
kirstyreanne
Old 07-04-2005, 1:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've always thought that you could only reheat meat once - with the exception of Pork which shouldn't be reheated at all.

The easiest way to make it last longer without taking risks would be to just reheat enough in a small pan each time you want some.
# 15
elona
Old 07-04-2005, 1:25 PM

Good idea
"This site is addictive!"
Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
Preemie hats - 2.
# 16
Miss_Ratty
Old 14-12-2009, 6:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I reheat pork and chicken twice all the time - but never more than that and I always store it in the fridge in between. I would cry if I thought my leftover meat from a sunday roast wasn't going into a nice curry or chilli the next day - which would last through until the day after too! If I was cooking for others I wouldn't risk it, but for my partner and I we always do.
# 17
valk_scot
Old 14-12-2009, 9:51 PM

Id you make a huge casserole again, only reheat what you need for the next meal and keep the rest in the fridge. It will keep for two or three days that way.
Val.

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z Member #22 Chief Kale Knitter & Sheep Spinner.