Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > House Buying, Renting & Selling > Great 'Things to do when you move' Hunt (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Great 'Things to do when you move' Hunt
Views: 33,090
# 1
Former MSE Lee
Old 31-08-2010, 1:35 PM
Former Editorial Assistant
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Great 'Things to do when you move' Hunt

Great 'Things to do when you move' Hunt

It can be one of the most stressful life events, there are stacks of things to remember to do. So we want to tap MoneySavers' collective knowledge to get your top tips on what to do when you move. Whether it's changing addresses, comparing energy tariffs or getting a cheap cleaning service.

Give us your tips!

View past Great Hunts

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Former MSE Lee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
jacand
Old 31-08-2010, 8:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I usually run my food cupboards and freezer down to the bare minimum, then place an online food order for everything with delivery going to my new address. Saves all the hassle.
I also keep a list on my computer of all the companies that I deal with such as gas, electric, banks, telephone, internet, vets, doctors etc. I keep this up to date with the low rate telephone numbers, that I find on saynoto0870. This way if when my phone line gets switched off, I can still use my mobile to call them relatively cheaply if I need to.

Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 03-09-2010 at 10:45 AM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jacand For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
coolster1
Old 01-09-2010, 2:00 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I'd be particularly wary about signing up for moveme.com. I signed up via Royal Mail because they offered to send a box of stuff to your new address, like sponges, coffee, milk, tea, even Fanta, which I was very happy to receive. Unfortunately, I was also contacted by their call centre staff advising me to switch the energy provider at my new place. I got very annoyed by their persistent calls; I ended up having to screen and not pick up my calls for a week before they gave up!

I did quite like using moveme's address changing utilities, and receiving the welcome box was quite cool, but I'd be more careful about putting in any real phone numbers and ticking any checkboxes just in case.

On another note, I think the Royal Mail redirection service is fab! I initially signed up for one month's redirection, and since I was getting loads of letters redirected, I decided to extend it for another month.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to coolster1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
westlondonbuyer
Old 01-09-2010, 2:55 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I gave the new owners a few sheets of Avery labels pre-printed with our new address to forward anything that fell "between the cracks" during the Royal Mail redirection. There was a surprising amount, as we'd forgotten to change all our magazine subscriptions. Also useful because you will get birthday cards and Christmas cards from people you don't often hear from long after you've moved and stopped the Royal Mail service. We could have just left our address, but the pre-printed labels hopefully made it really quick and easy .

I had the hoover and a box of cleaning products alongside the usual box of moving essentials (tea, kettle, mugs, loo paper, lightbulbs, dinner for the first night and so on) along with me in the car. It meant I could give the new place a quick once-over before all the heavy furniture was set down.

I boxed up our most precious sentimental things and gave them to a friend for safekeeping so they didn't get broken or go missing in the chaos of the move.

I wish I'd remembered to change my Amazon delivery details on one-click. My new parcels were delivered to my old address, duh. This was nearly as bad as my friend who moved from Liverpool to London and then realised she'd left her drycleaning behind, still in the shop!

I wish I'd packed a few complete changes of clothes so things weren't such a scramble the first few days, before I got the wardrobes sorted. If you were moving at this time of year, extra clothes for unseasonal weather might also be useful.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to westlondonbuyer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
tealady
Old 01-09-2010, 5:51 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via MSN to tealady

Get the beds up and made 1st job. There is nothing worse than being knackered end of moving day then having to make beds.
Also pack kitchen and bathroom basics in clearly labelled boxes and make sure they are out 1st. Saves the embarassment of having helpers sat on the loo whilst you hunt for the bog roll.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tealady For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Flickering Ember
Old 01-09-2010, 7:34 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I just moved yesterday and am still unpacking today.
As well as hiring a competent removals firm, something I unfortunately didn't do and now have to email a complaint to their head office, I'd recommend the following:
Eat your way through as much of your food as possible over the preceding period, slowly stripping the contents of your fridge, freezer and cupboards.
Check EACH item before packing it; are you sure you want it?
Make a note of what is in each and every box; 91 boxes all stacked up doesn't make it easy to find what you want in a hurry. Also think about getting coloured highlighters and just doing a big X on each box, according to house area, eg blue for bedroom, yellow for bathroom, green for kitchen, pink for kids' room, orange for living room, etc, so you can at least have somewhere to start!!
Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flickering Ember For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
edinburgher
Old 01-09-2010, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Make a note of what is in each and every box; 91 boxes all stacked up doesn't make it easy to find what you want in a hurry
This is a very good idea. Also, it allows you extra security if you're moving with a firm you're unfamiliar with/can't find feedback on. For example, instead of writing 'Nintendo Wii' and 1000 worth of games on a box, '1' works just as well (assuming you keep a spreadsheet/list of what's in what box). If you do, save an electronic copy as well as a hard copy, as paper can and will go missing...

My tips:
  • Start planning months in advance - the more you do quickly, the easier it will be on the day. Remember those 'Christmas planning' articles that used to appear in lifestyle/TV magazines? Like those
  • Start creating a list of all the companies that you need to contact with changes of address. If most of these only mail you things irregularly, you can start a few weeks before you move. Mail redirection is a good deal for large families, but may be overly expensive for a couple
  • Buy good quality packing boxes and plenty of parcel tape/bubble wrap - it is far less stressful than cobbling together your own moving supplies from supermarket cardboard boxes etc. As ever, the best prices are online
  • Unless you're self-moving, keep a folder/case with any paperwork that can't be replaced on your person. I'd recommend keeping your laptops seperate, too.
  • Keep a list of contact numbers for: the estate agents/letting agent/local council/intended utility supplier/BT/cable TV company - you'll need these to hand if there are any problems
  • Unpack as soon as you can - it's stressful enough moving house without living out of boxes for months. Yes, you might be tired, but one short, sharp shock is better than days of stress!
  • Take a note of any small defects that you missed when viewing the property. If you've bought the property, these will become your 'to do' list, if you're renting, you'll be chasing someone else to fix them

MFW 143 ~ 2014 OP Target: 0/1200
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to edinburgher For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
pavlovs_dog
Old 01-09-2010, 9:06 AM

we're exchanging and completing on our first home on friday so this couldn't have come at a better time for us
know thyself

MFW 2014 # 46 - 719.72/2,000 (36%)
MFiT T3 #29 106k by 2015

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pavlovs_dog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
LittleMrsThrifty
Old 01-09-2010, 9:22 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by westlondonbuyer View Post
I gave the new owners a few sheets of Avery labels pre-printed with our new address to forward anything that fell "between the cracks" during the Royal Mail redirection. There was a surprising amount, as we'd forgotten to change all our magazine subscriptions. Also useful because you will get birthday cards and Christmas cards from people you don't often hear from long after you've moved and stopped the Royal Mail service. We could have just left our address, but the pre-printed labels hopefully made it really quick and easy
Did the labels just have your new address or did they say "Please redirect to... etc". I'm sure there was a post a few weeks ago saying that in these circumstances the person who received the mail would have to pay for delivery and a surcharge?
MSE aim: more thanks than posts
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LittleMrsThrifty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
[MaccA]
Old 01-09-2010, 9:22 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Take a meter reading at the old and new house. If possible use a camera or phone to take a picture. Saves losing a scrap of paper with it written on and can provide solid evidence if there is a dispute.

Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 03-09-2010 at 10:46 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to [MaccA] For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
anne99
Old 01-09-2010, 9:25 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Start packing up sooner than you think you need to, giving yourself enough time to sort through everything you own to decide whether to take, sell, charity shop or dump each item.

I speak from experience of leaving it all to the last few days, and having just to stick everything into boxes, promising myself we'll sort it out as we unpack. So we paid to move more stuff than necessary, and a lot of it is still lying around in boxes months after the move...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to anne99 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
blissbaby
Old 01-09-2010, 9:32 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Moving house... arggghh!

Few tips -
Register with your local Freecycle and ask for packing boxes, bubble wrap, etc - there is always someone who has this stuff! Then when you are eventually unpacked yourself, put all the packing stuff back on Freecycle for someone else to use.
Nice one!
Also, please contact your telephone provider ASAP! We were with the biggest one in the UK (sounds like DT) and it took them FOREVER to sort us out in our new place. Document who you talk to, when you talk to them and what was agreed, and don't wait too long before you put it all in writing. Even then, it may take forever to sort out. Unbelievable. You just can't anticipate how long this process may take.
Take advantage of the PO's redirection service; it may be pricey for couples as you pay for both names, but it saves a lot of hassle in the long run. Try and remember to take a note of which mail is redirected and make sure the senders are given your new address.
But most importantly, take the kettle, cups, milk and tea bags in your car for a no-faff cuppa as soon as you get to your new place!
Good luck!
Jac

Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 03-09-2010 at 10:46 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to blissbaby For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
glamlovinkitty
Old 01-09-2010, 9:42 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I moved at the beginning of the year and echo what a lot of other posters are saying.

1. Get a good removal firm, preferably personally recommended. I did this, my movers were AMAZING and made the very stressful day much more bearable. Give them a good tip and lots of tea/coffee/biscuits. Getting a good remover also saves you the hassle of buying packing materials as most will supply them to you (and pick them up afterwards).

2. Mark each box with the room its going into, and number it. Keep a notebook with a list of items you've put in each numbered box. I found this an absolute lifesaver.

3. Keep a 'first day' box with you in the car - include tea/coffee/milk/sugar/cold drinks/biscuits and snacks/a takeaway menu/wine (for the stress, you know), loo roll, pet food, necessary medicines, a few bits of cleaning stuff, measuring tape.

4. Keep a notebook from the very beginning (I used the same one for all my box lists, essential phone numbers, list of places I needed to tell my new address, meter readings etc). You can get project book sort of things from Smiths that have dividers with pockets - ideal for stashing receipts, quotes, essential documents. I kept mine on my person the whole day, it was invaluable.

5. Check heating and electrics thoroughly within the first few days. Dont just assume things are working because they switch on. We didnt realise til after the 7 day period was up that our heating didnt work. We'd switched it on and the light came on so we assumed it was ok, but a couple of weeks later realised none of the radiators actually heated up. Cost us a fortune to get repaired.

Thats all I can think of for now!
25 Yates tab;netbook/course up to 1000; Madcats toys;Kylie Minogue Darling perfume;Go-Cat toy;20 HMV voucher;32" TV;home cinema system;Nintendo Wii and game goodies;Miamoo night balm;face mask;100;GT Championship tix;lawn food;100 St Enoch vouchers;chocolate spread; 50 Amazon voucher; Good Food Show tix
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to glamlovinkitty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
mandsu
Old 01-09-2010, 10:18 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

One tip, which on our last move i failed to do is to try and have someone counting the number of boxes going into removal van and someone counting them out on the delivery end. I didn't, trusting the removers and two boxes went missing. My own fault!!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mandsu For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
NEH
Old 01-09-2010, 10:41 AM

We're were given the tip that on the day the removal comapny comes-keep clear....Let them get on with it and it will be done with a lot less hassle...

Mandsu, i'm intrigued how can you do that when they're there all day long?

We're moving next week and we're doing as others suggested, one box for cleaning and one box for the kettle, loo rolls, handwash, tea, coffee, biccies etc...

Oh and the frist thing you do when you know you're moving is set up teh redirection, it's something that can't be done with 2 days notice.

If it's a rental property, then photos, photos photos of the condition you have left it in. It saved me getting my deposit back after a dodgy claim from a landlord that it was dusty etc...

Also be prepared, when we had to change plans it means staying here overnight without beds etc...have an airbed or something similar available....Paper/plastic plates/cups also come in very useful for any last minute meals or meals in the new house. We also when we move have a duvet and a sheet rolled up together in a black bag ready to put on the bed the other end and or in our case use for the overnight without anything...

Hoover will also be coming in one or our cars. After reading on here about someone having their car keys packed by accident i would also say leave them in a safe place. Following on from advice here we're having our bathroom as the room to put our suitcase and airbed and things in. Dedicate a room for the things you don't want packed...I shall be making sure our car keys are in them.

I'm also getting this Friday luggage labels if i can find them to put on black bags with things in them so that they don't get confused with the rubbish...post notes always fall off...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NEH For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
claremc
Old 01-09-2010, 10:43 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default try the guides on comparethehouses.com

I got directed to these by a post on another MSE forum and I also think the moving guides are really helpful, so it may be worth a look.

Clare
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to claremc For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
hullight
Old 01-09-2010, 10:50 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've been using my phone as a modem for my laptop because I have unlimited data. Most phones can do this.

If that isn't an option it might be worth getting a pay and go dongle.

I couldn't handle being away from the web while they move my phone line and internet.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hullight For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
bzd
Old 01-09-2010, 10:57 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Boiler check

Hi, I don't know if this applies only in Scotland, but if the boiler in the house you move into is found to be faulty within three days of purchase then it's the previous owner's responsibility to get it fixed or pay for the repairs.

What you can do is arrange a month in advance for British Gas Homecare or similar, where they do a free boiler check and arrange for the check within a couple of days of moving in. You may pay an extra month of cover, but that is easily cheaper than getting your boiler checked out normally!

Ben
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bzd For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
pimento
Old 01-09-2010, 11:21 AM

We took the opportunity to go ex-directory and also onto the edited electoral roll.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pimento For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
westlondonbuyer
Old 01-09-2010, 11:25 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMrsThrifty View Post
Did the labels just have your new address or did they say "Please redirect to... etc". I'm sure there was a post a few weeks ago saying that in these circumstances the person who received the mail would have to pay for delivery and a surcharge?
They just said "Please forward" with our address. Had no idea Royal Mail had started charging for this!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to westlondonbuyer For This Useful Post: Show me >>