Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    hebrideans
    BT phone line, trees and responsibility
    • 10th Aug 10, 7:46 PM
    BT phone line, trees and responsibility 10th Aug 10 at 7:46 PM
    Hi. I've been lurking here for a while but have never registered and wondered if the forum could offer me any words of wisdom. There is a similar issue on thread 2605757 but it doesn't quite answer my problem (sorry - not allowed to post links as new user).

In short, our phone line is being knocked by branches from a neighbour's tree which overhangs our drive. This causes the landline and broadband to be knocked out of action frequently for varying periods of time. The line is on poles which are very high, and which sit in our garden.

BT claims that our area of responsibility starts where the phone line crosses the boundary between the main road and our garden wall and therefore the responsibility for cutting down the trees lies solely with us.

Now, I had always understood that our responsibility for the line starts at our side of the master socket, which is in our house - and therefore the line on the poles being knocked by the trees is, in my logic, BT's responsibility.

The complication is that the trees, despite them hitting the line on the poles in our garden, belong to my neighbour.

Again, my own sense of logic says that BT's line is being damaged by my neighbour's trees and BT therefore need to ask my neighbour to trim his trees, or BT needs to trim the trees and bill my neighbour. I don't feel that we should be acting as intermediary between BT and my neighbour as the matter is a straightforward one between them.

How far out from the truth am I? Any help gratefully received.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,457Posts Today

6,230Users online

Martin's Twitter