August 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    Thanks for the stating up the thread again!

well last month, dread to think as OH was doing the shopping as i was out of action.Guess what looks like another month with a pot on my leg grrrr We've had to pay out for alots things like tax. mot, assesments.so its a hard moth again.

Any ways good luck to everyone, i know i'm going to need it after the amount we've spent on booze while the kids were away:o.
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Hello all :) Sorry for the late posting! OK here is the recipe I use for Scones. They are very moreish!

250g Self Raising Flour
    55g Margarine (you could use softened butter but margarine or a butter substitute is softer)
    30g granulated sugar- the stuff you use in your tea :)
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    2 tablespoons of golden syrup or maple syrup
    pinch salt
    140 mls of milk or there abouts

Put all of the ingredients into a food processor and mix together using the pulse mechanism until it just forms a dough. If it is too runny, add a little extra flour to make a soft dough
    tip onto a floured surface and pat together to make one large piece of dough, about one inch thick - do not roll out
    Use a medium-large pastry cutter and place straight down and straight up, making sure that you do not twist the cutter
    place on a baking tray and bake until golden all over (between 12-15 minutes depending on the size) on a medium-hot heat of about 170 fan assisted, which I suppose would be about 200 in a normal oven?
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • Kadeeae
    Kadeeae Posts: 652
    First Post
    Forumite
    wssla00 wrote: »
    .................Put all of the ingredients into a food processor and mix together using the pulse mechanism until it just forms a dough. If it is too runny, add a little extra flour to make a soft dough tip onto a floured surface ..............

Ooo, thanks for that! Have been put off making scones for ages due to the "rubbing butter into flour until it's like breadcrumbs" bit. I always ended up with something that looked nothing like breadcrumb, more of a 'blob' :rotfl:

Shall give the food processor method a go!
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    I was never very good at the rubbing bit as I always worked the gluten too much. The food processor seems to work a lot better for me!

I am going to be very naughty tonight and order in a takeaway! Awful I know but I order the kids portion (£2.25) and it is HUGE!

I got my lunch paid for this afternoon in a fancy restaurant and it was so lovely! Really nice! So that helped too!

Have a good evening all, I will try and remember what I put in the rhubarb ice cream and post that too :)
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • brodie1_2
    brodie1_2 Posts: 131 Forumite
    Hi Wssla00
    If we have a takeaway at our local chinease me and dh always order the one pesron set and some prawn crackers and it does us fine, if our son is in we add an extra rice. So I know what you mean about sizes of portions. It means both me and dh get a takeaway for about 5.00 between us!!!
    Thanks for the scone recipies going tomake it tonight;)
    Brodie1
    :jBrodie 1/ july 300/330.62:oAugust300/322.49:o
    September 300/239.78:jOct300/258.50:jNov 250/282.24:) December 300/300.01:j JAN 2011 300/288.72 :j . September 300/319.19:(, October 300/351.59:jThree adults, 1 dog and 1 cats and cleaning stuff, toiletries, beer.
  • Does anyone have any ideas for cheap lunches to take to work?

I am thoroughly bored of my pasta with sauce/ham sandwich, !

Hi,
    I was the same for a while, and then i would make enough tea for left overs too, but i got frustrated eating the same for tea and then for lunch, so what i do now is either make a pizza, or a risotto using up the left over veg and little pieces of meat, or some couscous, but if you dont have left over veg (my woofie won't eat f & v but peaches ??) you could buy a bag of mixed veg from the freezer section at your supermarket about £1 if that, and add some to couscous with spices and herbs, or to risotto which will keep in the fridge a couple of days, and theres nothing wrong with good old fashioned cheese and tomato pizza!

What i have also done a few times is a puff pastry tart -
    Puff pastry, topped with tomato puree mixed with a little water and some herbs, then chopped up tomatoes, peppers, any oddment of meat and brie, which lasts for a couple of days (if i dont eat it all) in the fridge and it's only pennies really to make as Mr A had the puff pastry on offer at 25p at the time.

You could try the occasional salad if you're growing things in an allotment, or mix some frozen beans and brocolli with a little soy sauce and noodles or rice, in the autumn months there are countless filling soup mixes you could make to fill you up and keep you warm. Or occasionally when i am feeling really lazy... (blushes) Cheese, crackers, pickled onions, and pineapple chunks..... mmmm...

Also if you take desserts to work, try making your own in lots of little pots! saved me lots of pennies! opposed to £1 each, i made my own cheesecakes using a packet mix and made 6 for 87p!

Anyhow - hope this gives you some ideas!

SS xx
    Each day is a new beginning, look at what you have an be grateful for every tiny thing. You don't know when it may be taken away.
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hi All!

First time poster here (though I've been browsing this thread and taking hints and inspiration from you all for over a year now)!

If it's okay for me to join, I would like to set a budget of £80 for August. This covers breakfast when I can be bothered to have it :o , but eaten and using works milk, lunches for work, and dinners 3 or 4 times a week (my flatmate and I take turns cooking). I go out twice a month for a meal or drinks but include this in my minimal entertainment budget.

I'm not sure how much I generally spend a month, but I've set myself a target of paying off £1600 of my final credit card by November (down from £6000 this time last year). Since my entertainment budget is minimal and I only buy clothes if I have a gift voucher at the moment the food budget is the only one which can give a bit! :-) It will be a struggle because my salary is not high by no means, but I've already taken (more) inspiration from the DFW board over the last year, without posting of course, so I know what I am doing is right.

I've got a good storecupboard and freezer of meat, but as soon as I see something on the reduced aisle, or a BOGOF my resistance goes out of the window!

Anyway - sorry for my rambling - I look forward to posting more, and being a 'proper' Old Schooler'! :beer:
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • EvieSaver
    EvieSaver Posts: 133 Forumite
    Hi All

This is my first post ever on this website but I'm very happy to be here. It's great to finally find some other people who also like to save money - all of my friends and family are big spenders. I would like to join your grocery challenge. My normal budget is £85 per week but I've never actually totalled a month before to see how I did. So for August my target would be 5 Tuesdays at £85 = £425. I have a hubby, a toddler and a baby (requiring nappies and milk formula) so fingers crossed.
  • EvieSaver
    EvieSaver Posts: 133 Forumite
    honeybun16 wrote: »
    Hi There,

Can you put me down for £250 this month, gonna try and make it something we have a chance of doing
    This is an amazing budget with 4 kids! How do you do it? - Do you have a quick tip or two for me? - I'm new to this site.
  • fedupandskint
    fedupandskint Posts: 10,358
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    £28 spent today in Mr S on the weekly groceries. Fruit bought for the week for work, will need some more bananas and milk later on in the week.

See if I can stretch out the freezer stocks some more.....
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills