Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Food Shopping & Groceries > Cheapest place to buy fresh fruit? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Cheapest place to buy fresh fruit?
Closed Thread
Views: 4,041
# 1
WOW Factor 0
Rjhsteel
Old 12-07-2010, 5:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Cheapest place to buy fresh fruit?

Where, in your opinion, is the cheapest place to buy your fruit?
# 2
moonrakerz
Old 12-07-2010, 6:00 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Lidl !..............
The Following User Says Thank You to moonrakerz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
katskorner
Old 12-07-2010, 8:45 PM

Yep I second that - Lidl - that is usually where I go. Sometimes the Aldi offers are good too but they only have 6 things on offer each fortnight.
3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
The Following User Says Thank You to katskorner For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
tessie bear
Old 12-07-2010, 8:51 PM

markets can be cheap..but quality isnt wonderful sometimes...i like aldi for the super 6....asda sometimes have offers
on the brink...
# 5
shopndrop
Old 12-07-2010, 9:01 PM

How about a local greengrocer. I find them to be cheaper than most supermarkets.
# 6
sellingmysoul666
Old 12-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

the asian supermarket off north road in preston is very good value & lasts longer
"what lies behind us & what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 7
alisong
Old 12-07-2010, 11:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

another Aldi fan here...
# 8
jenniewb
Old 13-07-2010, 12:41 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Depends what I am after. Frozen normally works out cheaper for me as I tend to buy things like green beans but its not that way for all vegetables.

Apples, well at the moment I can get a bag from Sainsburys for 98p and it has about 6 apples in. It does rely on getting there at the same time they put them out though as they seem to get chucked about alot and bruised. I'd like to say my Greengrocers but I don't always find as good a quality and then when I do they sell out!- This is if I actually manage to get there when they are open. Same goes with Lidl and Aldi- they are shut so early I never get to visit (I shop after 10pm).

Berries and special fruit I tend to find I'd rather spend alot on something really sweet and delicious rather then getting more for my money. M&S, Tesco Finest, Sainsburys TTD cost more but IMO its worth the extra cost. I don't buy them very often.

Depends what your looking for and what your tastes are I think.
# 9
downshifter
Old 13-07-2010, 8:43 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I think Aldi super6 offers have deteriorated over the past year or so, as their other prices have too, I find them just as expensive as other shops, and because there's less choice you can't select a cheaper option. Also they're generally pre-packed so you can't check the quality for for bruises etc. and I find they don't keep well.

Like others, I can't get to a greengrocer's or market, but do find that Morrison's are good, they have some apples called I think Jonagold, that are always masses cheaper per pound than others, also you can select each individual apple or tomato etc for yourself. They often have fruit and veg as whoopsies too, so good bargains.

My favourite shop though is Netto, I bought some fantastic whoopsies there last week - 2 huge red peppers for 10p for the 2, a big tray of tomatoes for 10p etc.

The problem is that there might be a good offer somewhere one week - like the lovely Lancashire celery for 40p in Sainsbury's last week, but then you go back this week and there's nothing much there.

I grow a lot myself, and at the moment have a total glut of strawberries and other stuff, but at other times need to buy in.

Shopping is such a pain isn't it!! good luck, I'll be watching this thread to see what others think.
DS
# 10
tessie bear
Old 13-07-2010, 9:42 AM

i have grown my own salad leaves this year and they have been great...and tomatoes but they arent ripe yet soim still buying those
on the brink...
The Following User Says Thank You to tessie bear For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
gocat
Old 13-07-2010, 9:45 AM

Jonagolds are usually very cheap in most supermarkets. Sometimes they are named "basic" "smartprice" and other similar names.
# 12
raphanius
Old 13-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

i'm another lidl fan but they do run out of stock quickly at this time of year especially strawberries.

i also buy fruit at my local market, they are cheapest on cherries, strawberries and rasperries when they glut. they had tangerines last week, havent seen those in years!
Wins: 2008: 606.10 2009: 806.24 2010: 713.47 2011: 328.32
GC 2013 - Jan 199.24/200 Feb 237.14/200
Mar 213.24/200 Apr 68.73/200
21NSDs (5.7% of 365)
The Following User Says Thank You to raphanius For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
weegie.geek
Old 13-07-2010, 1:55 PM

Aldi's stuff doesn't keep well at all, in my experience. Hell, I've found mouldy stuff on the shelves.

My local Somerfield/Co-Op has a terrible selection (but 500 types of wine, it seems) and it's never too fresh. There's a market stall type thing in the shopping centre and its stuff is never fresh. There's a fruit and veg shop on the main street and it's not got much of a selection, it's expensive and the stuff's not too fresh.

Tesco/Asda are the only places nearby that I'm sure to find half-decent quality fruit and veg, that won't go off in a couple of days. They're much more expensive than most independent places, but the independent places nearby are awful.

I keep hearing anti-supermarket types whinge about supporting local businesses but the local businesses here are cheap and nasty as opposed to the low prices and high quality people keep going on about. There's a local greengrocer I've yet to try, because he seems to shut at 2pm or something ludicrous like that.

I could go over to the Asian area of town but it's a pain in the bum to get there, and adds another few pounds onto the cost of whatever I buy. It seems like there's just no demand for quality produce here.
They say it's genetic, they say he can't help it, they say you can catch it - but sometimes you're born with it
# 14
Eeyore2009
Old 13-07-2010, 2:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have to agree with Lidl
The Following User Says Thank You to Eeyore2009 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
csnann
Old 13-07-2010, 2:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My local farm shop is cheaper than the supermarket. The local greengrocer is much more expensive than either the supermarket or the farm shop.
The Following User Says Thank You to csnann For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
sarah1972
Old 13-07-2010, 2:59 PM

It all depends on what you buy?

This is what I grow so therefore cheap:
Blackberries, I have picked and frozen 5 kilo so far
Strawberries, I pick every other day
Apples, tree full of them
Pears, tree full of them
Oranges, my hardy tree has got 6 naval oranges on at the moment
Lemons, my hardy tree has got 4 lemons on so far
Goosberry bush looking healthy so should get a good crop
Cranberry bush looking good so should get a good crop
Cherries, I have picked 8 kilo so far.
I'm a Board Guide on the Freebies and Freebies (Low Spend) Board, discount codes 'n' vouchers and music moneysaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

New to MSE? http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sit...oduction-guide
# 17
surfsister
Old 13-07-2010, 8:33 PM

garden or market definitely- if you go to the market towards the end of the day you can get a huge bag of bannanas (27 best quantity so far!) for a quid! Also aldi or lidl next best.
The Following User Says Thank You to surfsister For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Bronnie
Old 15-07-2010, 12:20 AM

The man in the veg van that parks up on a local estate on Tuesday and Saturday mornings rain or shine and sets up a couple of trestle tables next to his van . Very good fresh quality, decent selection, cheery service and low low prices. He does a great job and deserves the custom.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bronnie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Vaila
Old 15-07-2010, 4:35 AM

lidl and aldi have a great, cheap selection
The Following User Says Thank You to Vaila For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
weegie.geek
Old 22-07-2010, 6:37 PM

Finally managed to catch the small independent place that shuts early. Bad selection, decent prices and ok quality. I've still to find one of these places I hear about that sell totally fresh stuff for less than supermarkets.
They say it's genetic, they say he can't help it, they say you can catch it - but sometimes you're born with it
Closed Thread