Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > I wanna buy-it or do-it > Lidl espresso machine - any good? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Lidl espresso machine - any good?
Views: 25,321
# 1
WOW Factor 0
domprague
Old 26-11-2009, 5:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Lidl espresso machine - any good?

Lidl is advertising a 'Silver Crest' espresso machine for 39.99. My wife wants an espresso machine for Christmas but I've never heard of 'Silver Crest' or the 'E.S.E. pods' which it uses.

There's a three-year warranty so it's not too much of a risk but does anyone know anything about these models?

Cheers.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Beige
Old 29-11-2009, 1:28 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I think it's actually made by someone else:

the one i can see on the lidl website looks awfully similar to:
De'Longhi Pump Espresso Maker = 423/2403 at Argos

I think you can use ground coffee - the pods are just an option
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beige For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
speric07
Old 03-12-2009, 4:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by domprague View Post
Lidl is advertising a 'Silver Crest' espresso machine for 39.99. My wife wants an espresso machine for Christmas but I've never heard of 'Silver Crest' or the 'E.S.E. pods' which it uses.

There's a three-year warranty so it's not too much of a risk but does anyone know anything about these models?

Cheers.
Hi, you can use normal ground coffee in them. Means you can buy your bog standard 250g pack of Coffee and use that rather than paying a fortune / premium for the pods.

My wifes parents have had one for the last five years in Poland (same model) using everyday without any problems.

Bargain if you ask me, although you cannot beat the following;

w w w

.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00004RFRU/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=471057153&pf_rd_s=lp o-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0000C9Z8D&pf_rd_m=A3P5 ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=11G7C3EBQ1DRJ7HBT4EF

You can pick them up for between 5-10 quid in TK Maxx
# 4
bathgatebuyer
Old 04-12-2009, 1:57 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Bought one of these myself yesterday (thankfully the queue of people outside were waiting for the USB turntables rather than these!) and have been quite impressed by it. I also used the pods which Lidl also sell and it made the coffee very easily and cleanly.

For 40 with a 3 years warranty it's a great deal. Maybe the purists prefer their Gaggias and things, but I can't afford that, so this does the deal in the meantime for than capably.
Almost debt-free, but certainly even with the Banks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bathgatebuyer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
silvergirl
Old 09-06-2010, 7:00 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Lidl espresso machine - excellent

The Lidl machine I bought at 39.99 last December is an absolute bargain. It's made by De Longhi although badged Silver Crest. ESE pods are easy to find or can be bought online. (You can also use the pads which look like teabags.) However this machine also takes ground coffee. That's the MoneySaver plus. No need to buy special pods at a price which takes into account that they are over-packaged. OK, lovely for choice, but it's package waste and not any better for me than a quick fresh ground loose coffee. (And yes, I know I don't need an espresso machine really, but humour me, I'm ancient).
A major plus and a bouquet for Lidl customer service too because I misplaced the basket for the machine when I took it to France rendering it temporarily useless. I contacted Lidl to ask if they could find me another and they couldn't have been more helpful, phoning me on 2 occasions and being really courteous. We couldn't find another basket however, but I eventually discovered it lurking in another box. Hoorah. It makes superb espresso and cappuccino. Bliss. Get one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silvergirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Fergz
Old 05-01-2012, 9:10 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs down

I bought the Lidl coffee machine at Christmas and it has just broken and the water has leaked all over the kitchen
# 7
CantFindaPassword
Old 11-01-2012, 3:05 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergz View Post
I bought the Lidl coffee machine at Christmas and it has just broken and the water has leaked all over the kitchen
Yep, sadly I had the same problem - although I had been very happy with it up until that point.. especially for the price!

I've got the number for the service agents though if you want it?
# 8
Jo_anne
Old 16-12-2012, 3:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Lidl have a video on how to use their espresso machine here http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/l....xsl/19226.htm