Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mioliere
    • By mioliere 30th Sep 09, 11:48 AM
    • 6,827Posts
    • 71,655Thanks
    mioliere
    Knit Your Square To Give Your Share - Part 3
    • 30th Sep 09, 11:48 AM
    Knit Your Square To Give Your Share - Part 3 30th Sep 09 at 11:48 AM
    Hi everyone

Penelope Penguin has been in touch with me about this ever-growing thread and has suggested we start a new one today. She will link back to the old one as soon as she sees this new one, and place a link on that back to here, so we will be able to carry on as before. Nothing will change but, from now on, please post on here. You have yourselves to thank for this - your time, generosity, and sheer 'niceness' has made this group, as Penelope Penguin says, 'sooooooo' popular that it needed Part 3 to start sooner than I had anticipated!

Look forward to seeing you all here!

KathyXX

LINK HERE TO ALL MAYTAURUS'S LINKS - patterns, tutorials, addresses of charities, and so on:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=25685267&postcount=143

Last edited by mioliere; 21-12-2009 at 12:07 PM.
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
Page 245
    • shezmit
    • By shezmit 4th Jun 10, 5:44 PM
    • 779 Posts
    • 3,973 Thanks
    shezmit
    Evening everyone,

What is everyone knitting? i am knitting a few boobs to keep me busy, Been asked to crochet some blankets for a lady who is expecting a baby early than expected,

Might sort some more parcels out this weekend as i sorted 4 big boxes worth last weekend,

Mom is doing ok now she is on the right amount of meds, We are doing abseil next sunday for CHILDREN'S TODAY CHARITY so while she has the strength and want to do stuff we are letting her carry on, At least we will have so many happy memories,

if anyone would like to sponsor us that would be great

Shelley
    Knitting for premature babies and babies that are born to soon
    TOTAL: 4 SANDS BLANKET, 18 CROCHETED BLANKETS, 4 GOWNS, 2 SLEEPING BAG (PRIVATE REQUEST), 1 BIB, 8 BOOBS, 3 CARDIES, 9 VENTS, 3 KNITTED BLANKETS, 1 PAIR OF BOOTIES, 1 HAT,
    • psso
    • By psso 4th Jun 10, 11:06 PM
    • 1,209 Posts
    • 6,039 Thanks
    psso
    Hi all,
    Ooooh Jean and Kathy, newly cut grass, I just love that smell.
    None of that here now though. Jim decided in one of his `we`re not getting any younger ` moments to lift the grass and put down weed suppressant stuff and local granite `chuckies` (gravel to you) instead. So now no lawn to sit on and make daisy chains – but less work for me now I suppose.
    Been out pulling up some weeds today – I dislike that chore almost as much as ironing. I just get one patch done, move on to the next bit and when I turn around there are more springing up behind me.

Chalky – I love the `blue` pictures on your blog especially the sea ones. I`d really like to have a big picture of waves crashing over rocks hanging above my fireplace. Sadly the ones I`ve seen and liked cost loadsa money. Ah well, when I win the lottery…………..

ISOM – I won`t take you up on your kind offer thanks. Those things look pretty dangerous and I can do a fair bit of damage with airborne needles and hooks if things are not working out right with a pattern, ta very much.
    Hope your mum is feeling a bit better today. How about trying spinning without a wheel ? We saw a woman using a drop spindle at the knitting show recently.

Jean - speaking of the show, I haven`t found a pattern to use with my multicoloured wool, so I know exactly how you feel about your snazzy stuff. It`s sitting there looking at me and I`m itching to do something with it but DD says I can`t do myself a summer top as it`s a bit `sudden` (bright and in your face I think she means).
    Might have to do some Oxfam jumpers with it instead then. - SIGH.
    BTW what`s your DH doing with the angle grinder, or have I missed a bit somewhere ?

Don`t know about alpacas but we have two llamas in the field behind us, along with the sheep. There are usually five or six in a field on their own but a couple of them are put in with the sheep when the lambs come along. There are foxes in the area and apparently they don`t like llamas. Bodyguards for the babies.

Have actually managed to do some knitting lately so will have something to update this week but I`ll do that tomorrow or Sunday.
    Going to an archery competition tomorrow just to catch up with some friends we haven`t seen for a while and return some trophies which DD won as they will need to be back for Sunday`s presentation. Better remember to clean them first, nothing worse than being presented with a mucky trophy. You`d be amazed how many people do that, lazy so and so`s.

Right off to do a few more rows before bed. Night all, sleep well.

Elaine.x
    Fully paid up member of S.A.B.L.E.
    Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy

Charity knitting 2015
  • In Search Of Me
    lol psso!! I had no idea what they were for!
    Well this eve spent in the medical assessment unit (A&E in effect) after phone call by GP to say that mums bloods were a worry and they would "very much like" her to go into hospital for fother tests/monitoring!! Off we went (Forgot a book but had knitting for mum which I nicked!) and duly waited, had blood tests, xrays, heart trace etc and then...waited... and after some discussion agreed we would come home for weekend and have a scan as outpaitent...they are worried that blood levels are off and that the antibiotics may have reacted with her epilepsy drugs - either that or she may have gallstones. Thankfully, we were able to register her permanently with GP here and have her notes transferred as the care she has had here has been excellent; very promt, caring and efficient so were impressed. Mum also loves having the opportunity to flirt with the doctors...shameless she is!!
    So my quiet day didnt quite go to plan but we'll have one tomorrow instead. Ive undone the basket as just didnt like it. Will finish the cardi and fergs blanket plus I have a lovely cross stitch to do for me!! Need to chop and change tasks as back does not appreciate one craft all the time!
    Sleep tight all and hugs for the lurkers...come out and say hi soon; been quiet here of late!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• mioliere
    • By mioliere 5th Jun 10, 6:14 AM
    • 6,827 Posts
    • 71,655 Thanks
    mioliere
    Good morning, everyone.

ISOM - I'm so pleased that you managed to get your Mum registered there. I think she should flirt all she wants if it helps her to feel better! The doctors must be a handsome bunch! Good luck to her and I hope they can get her well again.

Elaine - great to hear from you. Good luck with the archery! Hope Jayden is doing well? That's a good idea, the drop-spinnning, but I daren't add it to my 'to-learn list' at the moment! As for a picture of waves crashing over rocks, I'm sure Chalky wouldn't mind if you maybe copied and pasted one of hers, printed it out A4 size then ask if your local copy shop could enlarge it. I've done that in the past and it's worked out well. Chalky's photos are lovely, aren't they?

Well, did a few more rows to my crochet throw last night, then had a look through my book to choose my next Chalky square, plus I did another preemie hat.

Jean - hope you are OK? Haven't heard from you for a while. Hope you've finished all that grass-cutting. Our local farms are baling at the moment; sadly, the grass that was cut on our building plots is not good enough for that. We're thinking about getting a couple of goats but need to do some more research first.

Maytaurus - (((hugs))) to you. Hope you have a good day today.

Anyway, the sun is shining brightly heralding another lovely day here. I have food shopping to do this morning and a few chores, then I really must sort out all the photos I've taken lately and post some on my blog.

Hope you all have a great day and that the sun shines for you wherever you are.

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

• Kinsey
    Good morning everyone, isn't this weather just gorgeous?

Shez, I'm still trying to make some things for grandson who is due in couple of weeks, not getting on as fast as I would like, daily life gets in the way! I'm pleased to hear your mum is getting on with things, she sounds like a wondeful lady. I think about you a lot.

psso the tale of the llamas and the lambs is lovely, and what a good idea.

ISOM hope you're mum's results come back ok, it's nice to know some parts of the NHS are working properly. It does sound like a good idea for her to live with you, imagine if you'd still been going backwards and forwards for all this time. Re: the netting needles, remember last year when we all talking about the Loopa scarves? You could make long skinny scarves, maybe put two together or something, just a thought.

mioliere goats make wonderful pets, and they'll eat quite a lot of stuff that you don't want, unfortunately if they get the chance they'll eat stuff you DO want as well. Like the first tulip that shows it's head and the runner beans that were doing so well, gone right down to the ground, and of course ornamental shrubs. As you've got a separate field you probably wouldn't have that problem! Also, as they're vegetarian, the straw bedding makes great compost, eventually.

My brother is out all day today so he's leaving his dog here, which is fine as she gets on well with my two, but if one of them so much as woofs they all start barking in competition mode, have to open the sweetie cupboard to stop them, and they know it. Bunty, my mum's little white terrier who is now seventeen and a half and starting to look her age, still wants to join in. When she barks her front feet lift off the floor. Can't see me getting much done today.

Love to everyone, and as ISOM says, all the MIA's hope you're ok and please post and let us know. xxx
  • In Search Of Me
    Mums feeling much better today and wants to go to allotment but I said no - I need a quiet day and housework to do; can put it off no more as have people for lunch tomorrow!
    I know I wont use the lacy needles so please shout if you would like them! Like miol I have enough to do things and darent try a new one!
    Miol I hate to say it but Im very jealous (in a nice way) of your land...if I had the money I would have a freeholding and live happily with pigs, alpacas and chickens! Sheer heaven.
    Ok must on or I wont get the chores done! yuck!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• Seakay
    • By Seakay 5th Jun 10, 2:19 PM
    • 4,153 Posts
    • 9,989 Thanks
    Seakay
    Hello all!
    Quick look in to catch up before I go to buy a kettle (mine died last night, no tea, no coffee, eek!!!)
    Glad to hear that your Mum feels well enough to want to go out, ISOM, but think that you are right to insist on a quiet day (for you both!). Hope lunch goes well tomorrow.
    Not heard from you for a while MAYTAURUS - hope that the humid weather isn't getting you down.
    Don't let the dogs run you ragged KINSEY!
    MIOLIERE I did love smelling cut grass when I was at my sister's, but not so keen on having to do the cutting once a week!

Just two days on my new regime of supplements, so far too early for any results yet. Love the good weather, at the same time feeling very drained and not sleeping well. Still - better than being cold and wet!

Love and (((((((hugs))))))) to all!
    • psso
    • By psso 5th Jun 10, 7:09 PM
    • 1,209 Posts
    • 6,039 Thanks
    psso
    Hi all, bit strange here weather wise.
    Nice and sunny this morning so looking forward to trip out later in the day, got to where the archery competition was being held and the rain came on - thunder and everything. As it was lunchtime when we arrived it did`t really affect things as everyone was in their tents munching their sandwiches etc. Decided not to hang around too long and called in to the garden centre for a coffee on the way home, lots of thunder while we were there and heavy rain. Got home to find it was only starting to spit a bit so got the washing in quick smart.

Had a bit of a shock at the archery. For once I was speechless - yes Jean, she who could blether for Scotland was struck dumb.!!
    Judge called for all the archers to gather round and the next thing I knew I was being called forward to be presented with the Area Fellowship Award for services to Scottish Junior Archery. I was stunned. Jim and I had been the junior team managers for the past 7 years and done a lot of fundraising etc for them as well as taking the teams to home nations matches and internationals, and this award was in recognition of that. One of the guys said it was the first time he had seen me stuck for words .

Right, off to nip to Tesco and see if there are any bargains and get a birthday card for DGS`s birthday tomorrow, he`ll be three on Tuesday but the party is tomorrow so cards and pressies and CAKE yum yum.

Hugs to anyone feeling down or poorly and hello to all the lurkers.

Elaine.x

Charity knitting 2015
    • roamin in the gloamin
    • By roamin in the gloamin 5th Jun 10, 8:14 PM
    • 1,942 Posts
    • 9,049 Thanks
    roamin in the gloamin
    Och Elaine what a lovely surprise, like you I have been known to be gob smacked (well at least once or twice in my lifetime). Hope that thunder and lightening stuff stays in bonnie Scotland, I certainly don't need it.
    Janette (foster daughter) rang tihis morning and asked if I could go down (and hour away on the south coast of Brittany) and give her a help with the three monsters - she has tendonitis and has been signed off work for a week and told not to drive!!! So tomorrow, directly after I finish the sewing class for Lucy and Sian I will pack a bag and scoot down to hers for a couple of days. I hope I am right in thinking that her DH is due home about Wednesday, if not I will need to cancel conversational English (well Scottish) classes. My DH is thinking he has really done something wrong as I have only just got back my hols. Grass all cut, turn and bale it towards the end of the week - fingers crossed the rain stays off, if not my neighbour will get that job! If there is any of that CAKE left Elaine I could assist with the eating of it?
    xx
    The Hooligan Wooligan – age 9¾
    Charity Knitting 2015-
    2xSIBOL butterflies -86x squares
    • psso
    • By psso 5th Jun 10, 8:47 PM
    • 1,209 Posts
    • 6,039 Thanks
    psso
    Aye OK Jean, I`ll post it off to you along with your rock !! On second thoughts, I`ll just have an extra bit and tell you how delicious it is.

Elaine.xx

Charity knitting 2015
    • shezmit
    • By shezmit 5th Jun 10, 8:51 PM
    • 779 Posts
    • 3,973 Thanks
    shezmit
    Please sponsor me for my abseil next sunday as i am doing this with my mom while she is in good health

http://www.justgiving.com/abseilshelleymitchell

thankyou
    Knitting for premature babies and babies that are born to soon
    TOTAL: 4 SANDS BLANKET, 18 CROCHETED BLANKETS, 4 GOWNS, 2 SLEEPING BAG (PRIVATE REQUEST), 1 BIB, 8 BOOBS, 3 CARDIES, 9 VENTS, 3 KNITTED BLANKETS, 1 PAIR OF BOOTIES, 1 HAT,
    • mioliere
    • By mioliere 6th Jun 10, 9:34 AM
    • 6,827 Posts
    • 71,655 Thanks
    mioliere
    Hi everyone

Elaine - what a lovely surprise! Congratulations on a well-deserved award.

Jean - have a great few days. We had a thunderstorm here well, two I think because, when we woke up, the oven clock was flashing so we'd obviously had a power cut, then we had another one during breakfast - luckily I had unplugged the Livebox before I went to bed. Luckily, too, our neighbouring farmer has got all his hay baled and undercover - he was working well into the night but I bet he's glad he's done it.

The rain has stopped now and the sun is coming back out; it's still very warm, though.

Tendonitis is obviously taken more seriously here - when mine was diagnosed, in the UK, I was told it was a 'condition' so I couldn't be signed off work (even though work was the cause!); I was told to rest my hands but no mention of whether or not I should be driving. I didn't even mention it to my doctor here, thinking the attitude would be the same. Strange how different some things are here, isn't it?

Anyway, have some chores to do so I'd better go and do them.

Have a great day, everyone.

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

• sock-knitter
    morning all, just a quick post this morning to let you know i'm back, had a good time in skegness, first few days it rained, and rest of week it was red hot.
    managed to knit 7 squares for mrs twins, and also learned how to do double crochet and made myself a mobile phone cover
    shelley, (((big hugs))) for you and your mum, both of you will be in my thoughts and prayers
    hugs to all the poorlies, best go get breakfast ready for 2 hungry boys
    catch you all later
    love shaz xxx
    loves to knit and crochet for others
    • Pippa.S
    • By Pippa.S 6th Jun 10, 9:56 AM
    • 2,648 Posts
    • 19,310 Thanks
    Pippa.S
    Morning all,
    I havent been in for a few days, what with Lappy playing up,hospital visiting, washing (I dont really mind that but I do mind the ironing) mainly nighties and unmentionables MIL seems to be getting through 2 nighties a day.
    She has her pacemaler fitted on Tuesday then they will build her up ready to go home.

Have spent hours in the garden digging a couple of beds out my goodness the places I ache you would'nt believe

It was DGD's 6th birthday yesterday and we could'nt go I was gutted ... but at the moment MIL comes first... I did speak to DGD on the phone last night and she loved her present, we bought her a Knitting set called "Fun with Wool" from Amazon and she loved it,
    I had it delivered to her and gift wrapped,they love getting"post" don't they?
    It has knitting, french knitting(used to call that corking when I was a lass) pom-poms and something else which escapes me at the moment

I am working on a ripple blanket for my sister at the mo, I just love sorting the colours out, she sent a lot but they are samey IYSWIM so I have had a rootle round and added a few, just hope she likes them

Have'nt read through yet so hope you are all in the "pink"
    (((hugs))) for all and enjoy your Sunday

Anne
    x
    ooops almost forgot update in the following post.
  • finequine
    Hi everyone.
    Ealine, well done and congratulations, you go girl! Are you going to make it to LH this Friday? I have been knitting pet blankets for the challenge. I am also fast becoming addicted to knitting cotton wash/dish cloths,there are just so many patterns on the net! I was in Glasgow yesterday on a soap making course,very hands on and lots of fun,it has given me the confidence to go on and be more adventurous with soap. From now on everyone will be getting a bar of home made soap and a wash cloth for pressies! LoL
    • Pippa.S
    • By Pippa.S 6th Jun 10, 10:02 AM
    • 2,648 Posts
    • 19,310 Thanks
    Pippa.S
    PIPPAS UPDATE

1PR - SLIPPERS
    2 - BUNTINGS
    1 - CHILDS JUMPER
    1 - SAILORS HAT
    1 - RUFFLE SCARF

Anne
    x
  • Kinsey
    pssp congratulations on your award, what a lovely surprise it must have been, and a fitting memento.
    • mioliere
    • By mioliere 6th Jun 10, 11:01 AM
    • 6,827 Posts
    • 71,655 Thanks
    mioliere
    My update:

Hats: 7

Chalky squares: 1

Mrs Twins squares: 2

Hope to get some more done later - looks like DH is plastering today so I shall have to find a quiet place to crochet, I think!

Jean, bless her little cotton socks, posted the update
    link on here last week (because we can't post links to our blogs now, for some reason); I will still post the blog link but won't be able to advertise it on here, IYSWIM!

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

• Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 6th Jun 10, 12:11 PM
    • 17,084 Posts
    • 132,744 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Good afternoon knitters What a successful thread

Part 4 is here, so please move there and I will close this one presently
    Badgers at the bottom of our garden
    • psso
    • By psso 6th Jun 10, 12:48 PM
    • 1,209 Posts
    • 6,039 Thanks
    psso
    Bye bye to part 3

Come on over to part 4 see you there !!!!!

Elaine.x

Charity knitting 2015
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

1,513Users online

Martin's Twitter