Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • Adrian_london
    • 31st Oct 06, 10:38 PM
    £1000 problem
    • 31st Oct 06, 10:38 PM
    I'm interested in the free flight to the USA with the Citibank's AAdvantage card. I know I have to spend £1000 before December 31st.

Q. Can I pay one months mortgage (I'm with the Abbey) using my new credit card? Is that a "purchase"?

Cheers

Adrian
    • koru
    • By koru 31st Oct 06, 11:20 PM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    koru
    • 31st Oct 06, 11:20 PM
    Better BMI card
    • 31st Oct 06, 11:20 PM
    Great tip re BMI airmiles, but wouldn't it be better still to apply for the BMI Mastercard, which has the same 20,000 miles offer, but gives 2 miles for every £1 spend, rather than 1.5 miles?

Link:
    https://wwwa.applyonlinenow.com/UKCCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=5bmihpfee_ost&mc=BMI-RS-48390-48366
    koru
  • Former MSE Dan
    • 1st Nov 06, 11:12 AM
    • 1st Nov 06, 11:12 AM
    Great tip re BMI airmiles, but wouldn't it be better still to apply for the BMI Mastercard, which has the same 20,000 miles offer, but gives 2 miles for every £1 spend, rather than 1.5 miles?

Link:
    https://wwwa.applyonlinenow.com/UKCCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=5bmihpfee_ost&mc=BMI-RS-48390-48366
    by koru
    Hi Koru,

Unfortunately that card has a £60 annual fee, which cancels out any advantage from the better earning rate.

Thanks

Dan
    • koru
    • By koru 1st Nov 06, 12:22 PM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    koru
    • 1st Nov 06, 12:22 PM
    • 1st Nov 06, 12:22 PM
    Blimey, I didn't even check the fee, as I didn't know anyone still charged them. OK, I agree the classic is usually going to be the best.

I guess if you were intending to use the card to rack up lots of airmiles from your spending, there would come a point when it was worth paying the fee. I think Martin calculated that the value of the airmiles on the classic card is £1.19 per £100 spend. That's on the basis of 1.5 miles per £1 spend. So, if you get 2 miles per £, that's a value of £1.59 per £100 spend. If you spend£15000 on your card in a year, you would get an extra 7500 miles, worth an extra £60. Few of us spend more than £15,000 per year, but for those who do, it might be worth paying the £60 fee.
    koru
  • Former MSE Dan
    • 1st Nov 06, 2:11 PM
    • 1st Nov 06, 2:11 PM
    Here is our ranked table of Reward Cards, when we researched this earlier in the year.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1147870645,3979,

As you can see, the fee drops BMI well below BMI Classic - though its still not as bad as many other No Fee cards!
    Last edited by Former MSE Dan; 01-11-2006 at 2:16 PM.
    • *Chattie*
    • By *Chattie* 1st Nov 06, 3:23 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 1,177 Thanks
    *Chattie*
    • 1st Nov 06, 3:23 PM
    • 1st Nov 06, 3:23 PM
    Interesting article, thanks for this one as I am looking for a new credit card for a balance transfer.
    • teeb
    • By teeb 1st Nov 06, 4:03 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    teeb
    • 1st Nov 06, 4:03 PM
    • 1st Nov 06, 4:03 PM
    If I sign up to the Amazon MasterCard via Rpoints, will I still get a £15 amazon voucher with first spend?
    • greenoak
    • By greenoak 1st Nov 06, 6:29 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    greenoak
    • 1st Nov 06, 6:29 PM
    Amazon credit card
    • 1st Nov 06, 6:29 PM
    Warning.

Amazon are not good at sending out the £15 reward.

I never got mine. I chased it up and they said it must have got stopped by spam filter, and no they would not send it again.

Lots of similar stories from other users
  • qaz
    how can they send payment by email.,..and anyway why would they not resend because it got filtered as spam ...oram i missing something
    mark

Warning.

Amazon are not good at sending out the £15 reward.

I never got mine. I chased it up and they said it must have got stopped by spam filter, and no they would not send it again.

Lots of similar stories from other users
    by greenoak
    • teeb
    • By teeb 1st Nov 06, 6:53 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    teeb
    how can they send payment by email.,..and anyway why would they not resend because it got filtered as spam ...oram i missing something
    mark
    by qaz
    Amazon would send the £15 voucher to your email. As the voucher for amazon is just a however-many-digit code to enter, it's emailed as that's quicker / more convenient / cheaper.
  • qaz
    Amazon would send the £15 voucher to your email. As the voucher for amazon is just a however-many-digit code to enter, it's emailed as that's quicker / more convenient / cheaper.
    by teeb
    YES...BUT WHY WOUKLD THEY REFUSE TO RESEND IT..MARK
  • qaz
    heres a cheap trick....if you spend an amount [for the usa flight deal] does the cc company get funny if u obtain a refund on the goods or does it still count towards the £1000
    • Iluvorkney
    • By Iluvorkney 2nd Nov 06, 7:53 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Iluvorkney
    CitiAAdvantage card

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Credit Card Freebies Article

To discuss or ask a question about the article: click reply

What to do

If you've spotted a new credit card freebie then please reply to this and tell us about it.

If you only have basic details of the freebie, great! Please tell us! However if you know then please include:
    • What the freebie is?
    • What you need do to qualify for it?
    • Is it generally available or only through a special link?
    • Any idea how long it's available for?
    • Any details on the interest rate of the card?
    by MSE Dan
    Instead of spending £1000.00 in order to get a free flight, to go to Toronto, go to canadian-affair.com and you will get at least three people to Toronto for £1000.00 including taxes
    • koru
    • By koru 2nd Nov 06, 8:41 AM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    koru
    Instead of spending £1000.00 in order to get a free flight, to go to Toronto, go to canadian-affair.com and you will get at least three people to Toronto for £1000.00 including taxes
    by Iluvorkney
    You are missing the point. With the cards in Martin's article, you spend £1000 on other things - you buy whatever you would normally buy with a credit card. You get the airmiles FREE (other than the fact that if you had used a different card you might have got a different freebie, such as cashback). Free is a lot better than paying £1000 for 3 flights.

If you want to recommend a site that has cheap flights, post in the Travel board.
    koru
  • dan.jan
    Citibank offer a range of cards on their site :

http://www.citibank.co.uk/personal/cards/

I reckon the Platinum Mastercard sounds good - spend £500 quid before Xmas and you get a £50 voucher in the New Year, plus 0.5% cashback kicks in on Jan 1st.

Anybody spot any catches with this one?
  • bergeroo
    Great article!

OK I want to go to Vegas to I think the BMI card is the best bet for me. They fly to Vegas from Manchester and I can also use the points to fly on Virgin Atlantic.

One question I have is - On their points website there is a table - And you can only appear to be able to pay entirely for a flight with your points or spend half the points requirement and top the other half up with cash (eg 25000 + £140) - Does anyone know if there are any other combinations you can use - eg 20,000 plus cash - or will I have to earn another 5000 points to fly to North America?

Thanks!
  • lele06
    Balance Transfer with Sonycard
    Cool freebies,

Im interested in transferring a balance from capitalone classic visa card to Sonycard, for the free mp3 player.

Question: I'm moving home soon (within 2 weeks) would it be best to sign up with my current address or my new address being that it's a brand new building with a new postcode.

Thanks
  • shareef
    Im after the free mp3 player, isit just as simple as buying something for a pound, paying the bill and then simply cancelling the card. Is tehre a year contract for the card or not?
    • Frugal Foxy
    • By Frugal Foxy 4th Nov 06, 11:59 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Frugal Foxy
    I looked in their Terms & Conditions https://wwwn.applyonlinenow.com/UKCCapp/Ctl/link?eid=3E39D3DF and it doesn't mention a cancellation charge. I think I'm gonna go for this one. anyone else done it already?

10 Ending this agreement
    10a We may end this agreement at any time if we write to you first to tell you that we are doing so. If we have a valid reason, we may end the agreement immediately and write to you as soon as we can afterwards, to tell you why we have done so.
    10b If we end this agreement, you must cut up all cards and unused cheques. If we ask, you must also return them to us.
    10c You may end this agreement at any time by contacting us and cutting up all cards and unused cheques.
    10d After this agreement ends, you will still be personally liable to pay all amounts which are due (or may become due) to us under this agreement.
    10e If you end this agreement, we will cancel any Payment Protection Cover you have taken through us for this agreement.

take care
    FF
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,427Posts Today

7,331Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Warning: From tomorrow (thur) if you watch BBC iplayer, even if only catch up, you need a TV licence. Full info.. https://t.co/OT9XiQvKGQ RT

• M'weekly email: free £25M&S, iPlayer warning, free seeds & KFC, overpay mortgage, Sky codes, 26 motoring tips, Apple https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Do you support renationalisation of rail, water, energy, etc. Pls VOTE which services you'd renationalise... https://t.co/aJrVNR5Bxa

• Follow Martin