Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • custardy
    • By custardy 14th May 10, 9:02 PM
    • 30,868 Posts
    • 25,334 Thanks
    custardy
    • 14th May 10, 9:02 PM
    • 14th May 10, 9:02 PM
    drain the whole system
    flush with clean water(a hose is best) refill with correct concentrate of coolant
  • GEEGEE8
    • 14th May 10, 9:24 PM
    • 14th May 10, 9:24 PM
    How do I drain it?

Will it cause a problem if left in?
    • anewman
    • By anewman 14th May 10, 9:39 PM
    • 8,773 Posts
    • 6,257 Thanks
    anewman
    • 14th May 10, 9:39 PM
    • 14th May 10, 9:39 PM
    Never fill a cooling system above the max mark. To drain you could take the bottom hose off the radiator. I would suggest to simply empty it, fill the system with tap water, run the engine (with the cap off) to circulate it and mix with everything else in the system until that's hot and the fan has turned on and off. Then drain this and put in the correct type of coolant at the correct level of dilution.
  • GEEGEE8
    • 14th May 10, 9:53 PM
    • 14th May 10, 9:53 PM
    Shall I just take it to Kwik Fit around the corner from me? I have no idea what type of coolant to put in it..
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 14th May 10, 9:55 PM
    • 10,505 Posts
    • 14,001 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 14th May 10, 9:55 PM
    • 14th May 10, 9:55 PM
    I doubt very much whether it will do any harm at all. If you don't know what you are doing, draining and refilling it might cause more problems than it solves.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 14th May 10, 9:56 PM
    • 3,134 Posts
    • 1,353 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 14th May 10, 9:56 PM
    • 14th May 10, 9:56 PM
    Shall I just take it to Kwik Fit around the corner from me? I have no idea what type of coolant to put in it..
    Originally posted by GEEGEE8
    If you like.
    Use some initiative. You have been given some advice. Now carry out the solution.
    Just because I've written it doesn't mean that
    either you or I have to believe it.
  • GEEGEE8
    • 14th May 10, 9:59 PM
    • 14th May 10, 9:59 PM
    I'm going to try to get some of the water out of the filler tank thing, apart from that I think i may have flushed out most of the screen wash with the bottle of water i tipped into it..

I would use initiative, but I have no idea about cars at all, and I don't want to end up with a bigger problem in the long run..
    • vaio
    • By vaio 14th May 10, 10:02 PM
    • 11,909 Posts
    • 8,837 Thanks
    vaio
    • 14th May 10, 10:02 PM
    • 14th May 10, 10:02 PM
    http://www.staplesdisposables.com/uploaded_photos/SPD852%20merged%20I1.pdf

suggests that the main ingredient is alcohol with a flash point of 23 degrees, I can’t see it’ll do any harm but if you let the car warm up with the rad cap off it’ll boil off and you can top up with the correct fluid.
  • GEEGEE8

I tipped it in the white bottle, top left. Hope it is the radiator filler..
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 14th May 10, 10:09 PM
    • 10,505 Posts
    • 14,001 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    It won't do any harm. Cheap antifreeze used to have alcohol as its main ingredient.

If it's too full, remove some from the expansion tank (white bottle), down to the correct level. Don't try and drain it. If you do you run the risk of introducing air locks into the cooling system. Believe me, you do not want that!
  • GEEGEE8
    Expansion tank - now I know what it's called..

Okay, I will do that, I know roughly how much it had in before, so I'll just take some out of that (somehow).. I don't have any pipe to syphon (sp?) it out, was thinking of using a food plastic bag.. lol - unless the whole tank will come out..
    • spaceman5
    • By spaceman5 14th May 10, 10:27 PM
    • 2,629 Posts
    • 2,247 Thanks
    spaceman5
    not unless you are prepared to fork out for new brakes, tyres and exhaust, as they will tell you they all need doing
    Take every day as it comes!!
  • GEEGEE8
    not unless you are prepared to fork out for new brakes, tyres and exhaust, as they will tell you they all need doing
    Originally posted by spaceman5

hahaha very very true!

I'll give it a go in the morning, can't be too hard can it? even for a girl..
  • jaz
    If you like.
    Use some initiative. You have been given some advice. Now carry out the solution.
    Originally posted by KeithP
    My, that's a helpful post. I'm sure the OP is delighted that you bothered.

Get a syphon pump from your local car spares shop, they're about £6. The expansion tank has two lines on to denote maximum and minimum fill levels. Syphon the fluid out to until the level is between the two lines. A bit of screenwash isn't going to make a blind bit of difference to your coolant so don't worry any possible contamination issues.

Next time you want to top up the screen wash, there's no shame in asking if you're not sure!
  • GEEGEE8
    haha - thanks, I'm mortified! I've done it loads of times, just thought the book symbol was the screen wipers.. doh!

Glad I'm not the only one that thought Keith was being flippant..

Thanks for advice Jaz..
    • anewman
    • By anewman 14th May 10, 10:54 PM
    • 8,773 Posts
    • 6,257 Thanks
    anewman
    A turkey baster would suffice, but I wouldn't use it for cooking afterwards

The worst possible thing that could probably happen is if the screenwash reacts with the coolant causing sludge - if the amount was small I doubt this would happen enough to cause any issues.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 14th May 10, 10:56 PM
    • 30,868 Posts
    • 25,334 Thanks
    custardy
    haha - thanks, I'm mortified! I've done it loads of times, just thought the book symbol was the screen wipers.. doh!

Glad I'm not the only one that thought Keith was being flippant..

Thanks for advice Jaz..
    dont feel bad,I had a mate once put screen wash into the power steering reservoir,of his girlfriends brand new car!
  • GEEGEE8
    Ah well, I'm positively redeemed then

It'll give me something exciting to do tomorrow..!
  • mikey72
    I'd leave it.
    One cup of diluted screen wash compared to what's in the engine won't make any difference, and the expansion tank cap will release the pressure and let the excess water blow off the first time the engine heats up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,716Posts Today

6,765Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • All good now with Cheap Energy Club - the new EDF blagged tariff that'll typically save most £340/yr is now live... https://t.co/soY0xIgT0s

• Very sorry that Cheap Energy Club is struggling, the tech team are on it full pace.

• RT @Income_MAX: RESEARCH PROJECT: We're looking for people living without a bank account for a confidential research project https://t.co/O?

• Follow Martin