Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > March 2010 Grocery Challenge (Page 44)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
March 2010 Grocery Challenge
Views: 54,141
# 861
BigMummaF
Old 27-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via Yahoo to BigMummaF

Oh dear! I have shot myself in the foot I fear, and will need to have a long, hard look at what I will or will not include as a grocery spend.
I really thought I had got it sorted out, but my total meant I was aiming for 50p per meal per inhabitant and that left nothing for other essentials such as toilet tissue and things. It just sounded more when I said seven pounds per day!
Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to BigMummaF For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 862
alipops1986
Old 27-03-2010, 12:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I spent 9.50 this week which i fear has sent me over my 90 budget for march However, as this is the first time i've done it officially, i'm alright with it.

Please put me down for 90 again for April and i'll do my best to get under it!!
Married: August 2013
Moved into our Family Home: August 2013
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to alipops1986 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 863
Keiss 21
Old 27-03-2010, 1:42 PM

Waay over this month, and still 4 more days left of March!!

Will declare on April 1st, but Mrs M please put me down for 400 for April. DS1 will be home all month (well, when he isn't at GF's!), though DS2 will be away for a week at a rugby tournament. I will still have to send him off with enough food to keep his sugar levels sensible though (he's diabetic).

Not sure if we will make it as most of this year has been pretty dismal...reaching target-wise..but I will keep trying!

Hoping to not spend any money this weekend...so far...so good!!!

13 projects in 2013: 7/13
Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Keiss 21 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 864
charlyze2
Old 27-03-2010, 2:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi all.
im new to this site and really want to start keeping an eye on my spending.

Could i please join this challange. i will have to guesstimate this months budget as i have no idea how much i spend on groceries. I think for 2 adults and 2 kids im going to aim for 250 for April.

Hopefully i can get below that though.

thank you charlie
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to charlyze2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 865
BlimusOreilly
Old 27-03-2010, 3:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

An extra shop last night at Mr M's as we suddenly ran out of tea bags, milk and kitchen roll. I ended up spending 12.47 but came out with three carrier bags which were mostly full of whoopsies. My best buy - a mini roast beef at 35p and diced topside of Beef at 25p
I have one last weekly shop for this month and a total of exactly 35 left in the budget - I should be fine (famous last words!).
DFW Nerd 941 Proud to be dealing with my debt
August GC 0/300

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to BlimusOreilly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 866
freakyogre
Old 27-03-2010, 3:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've gone over this month, but not sure by how much. I went away with my brother and sister on Thursday and Friday and we ended up paying for each other at various points including shopping, so i'll never figure the amount out! I don't think it was a huge amount, but over is still over.

I am going to go for 70.00 for April please as although I am going to try and use more things in my freezer/cupboards, I am going to need to buy some more things as running low.

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to freakyogre For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 867
MrsBsBlog
Old 27-03-2010, 4:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Have come under budget this month, but will carry on with the
400 for April please MrsM as easter hols are coming up and the kids will be eating for england, again!.
Grocery Challenge 2010 400 each month
January 377.67 February 375.18 March 355.43
April 506.23 May 381.04 June 88.58
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to MrsBsBlog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 868
tiamai_d
Old 27-03-2010, 4:38 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Can I join please?

My budget for April will be 240 for food only, not including cleaning materials (shouldn't need), baby milk, food or nappies. Family of 4, 2 adults, 2 boys (one underweight so needs high cal, healthy food)

(is that ok?)

Zombie Attack
It's real.
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to tiamai_d For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 869
JayJay14
Old 27-03-2010, 5:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

H everyone,

Declaring now at 107.52 which is way under but having financialy strapped for the last month am well pleased.

DD2 has now moved back in to our house so will have to increase the budget for next month.

MrsM - please put me down for 160 for April

See you all on the new thread
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to JayJay14 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 870
Spiggle
Old 27-03-2010, 5:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Good afternoon all, hope you're having a good weekend. I've updated my sig to take account of the lovely piece of brisket and veggies that we just bought so we're well under budget at 233.66 and hope we don't have to buy anything else before Thursday when my new month begins. We have got a little flexibility though so I won't declare until then.

By the way, what do you do with any 'excess' in the budget that doesn't get spent? It would be interesting to get some ideas from you if you don't mind sharing.

Well, we've had a chat and want to be sensible about next month's budget in view of OH birthday next weekend but we still want to reduce a little. So, please would you put me down for a 260 budget for April MrsMc?

Hopefully with the fantastic support of all on here we can make our second month of GC as successful as our first.

Thank you all and good luck with the challenge,
Spigs
MFW2012 No.6 OP Target 8400/8777
MFW2013 No.1 OP - Mortgage free October 2013
MFiT-T3 No.11 - Clear 38,3450.50 - Mortgage free October 2013
MF October 2013
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Spiggle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 871
Moniker
Old 27-03-2010, 5:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Recipe

Here is the fish recipe I promised to post yesterday:

Grilled haddock on lemon leek and pea rice

Ingredients: serves 2

15ml (1tbsp) butter
15ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
2 leeks, trimmed and sliced thinly
1 lemon, grated zest and juice
Salt and pepper
300 gm (10 oz) haddock fillet
350ml (1/2 pint) vegetable stock
100gms (4 oz) white rice
60gms (2 oz) peas
Parsley to garnish (optional)

Method

Melt the butter and add the oil in a big pot or frying pan. When oil starts to sizzle add the leeks and fry gently for about 3 minutes, until they have softened. Add the rice, lemon zest and half the lemon juice to the leeks and stir thoroughly. Pour over the vegetable stock, place a lid on the pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and cook gently for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed. Meanwhile arrange the fish fillets on a grill rack skin side down. Sprinkle over the remaining lemon juice and cook under a hot grill for about 6 minutes (depending on the thickness this can take up to 15 mins) its done when the fish is opaque and flakes easily. Stir the peas through the rice and heat for a few minutes (up to 5 mins if using frozen peas). Spoon the rice mixture onto warmed plates and serve immediately with the fillets laid on top.

It is basically a rissotto - but I didn't call it that as my DH doesn't like rissotto - but he enjoyed this. You don't have to use special rissotto rice - I used ordinary long grain rice.

I have used the rest of the leeks to make soup today and I did a batch of rolls which turned out well too. The rolls needed an egg wash to glaze them, and there was quite a lot of egg left so I decide to use this making individual pineapple upside down puds. I used a 2-2-2-mix all-in-one with the egg and a tin of Sainsbury's basics pineapple pieces in juice. I greased 4 little ramekin dishes and shared the pineapple between them and then spooned the sponge mix on top. Two have gone in the freezer and two will be for pudding tomorrow. I let you know how they taste!

Off to cook supper - hm beef burgers and chips and salad. We usually swim on Saturdays evenings but DH is suffering with a really heavy cold and I don't want to go on my own. We are supposed to be doing a sponsored walk tomorrow - so I hope he is ok for that and that it stays dry!

Have a good evening folks.

love Moniker

forgot to say that i think you missed me off the list for March Mrs M. I was down for 270 - will post final total on Wednesday evening - but feeling good about it! Fingers crossed!

Last edited by Moniker; 27-03-2010 at 5:50 PM.
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Moniker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 872
mama67
Old 27-03-2010, 6:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Did my last shop for march yesterday and have all we need til the end of the month.

So am declaring at 690 for the year to date.

Thanks Mrs Mc
2 adults, 2 boys ( sportsmad-big eaters) (19 & 16)
My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to mama67 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 873
MRSMCAWBER
Old 27-03-2010, 6:35 PM

Evening all

Moniker -I didn't miss you off the list *I did have to go and check as I do seem to miss folks*

Well -I have had my 1st spend of the month -day 1 as well ...

Only picked up 2 things -
  • pork n leek sausages -whoopsed to 80c X 4
  • parsnips -whoopsed to 50c X 4
So my 1st spend of the Month is 5.20 -I usually make my own sausages but as we don't use many in spring/summer its silly to make a huge batch and take up freezer space (especially as there isn't much left at the mo)
I may have a "big" spend later in the week as we have a friend driving back to the uk -so if they have the cheese I want she will be bringing back 20 x 400g blocks and possibly a couple of other things - but it will save us a bomb
Today I have mad a batch of baguette dough nomnomnom -so I have turned some into baguettes *obvious really* and made 2 pizzas -one has just gone in the oven mmmmmmmmm I don't like pizza of any kind usually -but these are gorgeous
Hubby is going to have a sausage baguette for brekkie tomorrow and take one wrapped in foil with him to the golf course -which will save him over 5 and at least he knows what he is getting
Dinner tomorrow is braised lamb shank with rosemary, carrots and onions -steamed potatoes, savoy cabbage and peas mmmmmmm

right -better get off -hope everyone is having a good weekend
-6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to MRSMCAWBER For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 874
slowlyfading
Old 27-03-2010, 6:40 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Sneaking in at 85.27 for March which is good Got quite a bit of food in now, so shouldn't need to spend anything else for a while! That's the plan anyway

Please could I be put down for 100 again for April? Thanks
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr Seuss
2014 Frugal Challenge Member // Sept NSD - 1/20 // SPC #004
Engaged 14/08/10 // Married 31/03/12
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to slowlyfading For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 875
becky170
Old 27-03-2010, 6:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'm declaring 161.40 for March which is well over my budget of 120 I've been having a rethink about my budget and from now on I'm going to allow myself 5 per day to cover all food, cleaning products, tolietrees and alcohol. Therefore can you put me down for 155 for April? This seems like a lot for one person, but there's no need for me to tighten my belt too much. The grocery challenge has been great for getting me to think about what I'm buying and cutting down on waste, so hopefully it is gettind me to eat more healthy and being good for the envirnoment.
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to becky170 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 876
S_Wales_Saver
Old 27-03-2010, 6:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hello all

Thanks for all the good thoughts and hugs. It seems to have been a difficult month for a few of us

GC still on track, not declaring just yet as I go through to Wednesday, but will spend this weekend to beat the budget rise on alcohol especially cider . This will be from April budget, and used in April, or later.

Menu plan for April has been completed, using lots from my freezer stash. This is my main way of spending less, if I know what I've got to get out of the freezer for tonight's dinner I don't make expensive emergency trips to buy whatever I can .

Spiggle when I have excess from GC (all of 1.38 in Feb ) I save it in a stockpile fund. This allows me to take advantage of special offers without affecting my monthly budget adversely. As I have just restarted GC I don't have that cushion at the moment, and it's very frustrating.

Mrs M can you put me down for my usual amount 250 for April.
Dor
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to S_Wales_Saver For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 877
Maisie M
Old 27-03-2010, 7:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

14.09 spent today in tesco and I am hoping this will be my last spend of the month. I will declare on Wednesday which is my last day but in the meantime

Mrs M can you put me down for 200 again for April please.
14 in 2014 challenge 6/14
No more buying books 2014 challenge 10/25
SPC - #210
Stash busting no 29 - 8/45 general and 0/30 xmas

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Maisie M For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 878
ragz
Old 27-03-2010, 7:36 PM

Went to tesco without a shopping list and have no meal plan, am trying a new tactic just to compare! Spent 50, which sounds good but that didn't include any nappies, toiletries, cleaning products or cider (Dh stocked up on 8 bottles the other day, pre budget rise! Though i've just realised I should technically include that in the total, so another 15) Also the tesco shop will only last to the end of the month probably and I forgot to get milk! Not looking good for this month, but I did underestimate as it's a 5 week month for us.
Will try harder next month!
Ragz is busy studying
Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to ragz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 879
Botany
Old 27-03-2010, 8:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

After a 43.91 shopping at MrW, I have 16.80 left in the pot; but my challenge ends with the calendar month so there are still 4 days to go. Should be ok though ...

PS Will post up my proposed budget for April asap.
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Botany For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 880
vodkawitch1
Old 27-03-2010, 8:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Over budget by 35 but my month doesn`t finish until Wednesday. Won`t need anything before then but won`t declare total spend till wednesday.

Please put me down for 160 for April
In it to win it x
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to vodkawitch1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>