Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • sozzifer
    • 4th Apr 07, 2:42 PM
    • 4th Apr 07, 2:42 PM
    Don't know about cooking liver in a slow cooker - if you cook liver for too long it tends to go tough and dry - bleurgh.

My mum's recipe for liver and onions is yummy:

Chop the liver up and coat in seasoned flour. Fry some onions (and I use mushrooms too) for about 10 mins. Add the liver and fry for another 5 mins. Then add about half a pint of vegetable stock, mixed with a tablespoon of tomato puree, a teaspoon of English mustard and a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce. Simmer on quite a high heat for 6-7 minutes - till the sauce has thickened. Serve with mash or rice.
    Last edited by sozzifer; 04-04-2007 at 2:46 PM.
  • TraceyB
    • 4th Apr 07, 2:47 PM
    • 4th Apr 07, 2:47 PM
    Hi Julie,

I do liver in the slow cooker - and it comes out lovely!

I brown the liver, some bacon and onions lightly in a frying pan first (having dusted the liver in flour first) then throw it in the slow cooker for about 6 hours in some made up gravy!

I love it done this way - i ust do the spuds seperately.

will watch this to see how others do it.
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 4th Apr 07, 3:27 PM
    • 17,526 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 4th Apr 07, 3:27 PM
    • 4th Apr 07, 3:27 PM
    Hi julie,

This older thread might help: Liver recipe needed

I'll merge your thread with that one later as it helps to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 4th Apr 07, 3:37 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 4th Apr 07, 3:37 PM
    • 4th Apr 07, 3:37 PM
    Liver is really best cooked very quickly
  • dianadors
    • 4th Apr 07, 3:51 PM
    • 4th Apr 07, 3:51 PM
    I cook liver in Masala wine and Balsamic vinegar,onions and mushrooms. Not very money saving, but the liver is cheap and with mash its like a restaurant meal - but at home. Yummy
  • Juliep
    • 4th Apr 07, 9:49 PM
    • 4th Apr 07, 9:49 PM
    thanks for all your help

I think i'll just fry it up with onions and mushrooms (and maybe some peppers) this time (kids have never had it before and really don't want to spoil it in slow cooker for the first time).

If it goes down well i will try it in slow cooker next time.

Thanks Julie
    • hazzie123
    • By hazzie123 4th Apr 07, 11:55 PM
    • 2,485 Posts
    • 3,316 Thanks
    hazzie123
    • 4th Apr 07, 11:55 PM
    • 4th Apr 07, 11:55 PM
    Thanks for this thread,liver is what I`m doing for tea tomorrow.I was gunna put it in the slow cooker but I`ll just do it my usual way.
    Debt Free Date:10/09/2007
  • Juliep
    • 5th Apr 07, 6:28 PM
    • 5th Apr 07, 6:28 PM
    Just finished tea, dd1 (13yearold) was disgusted but everyone else ate it. Fryed it with mushrooms, onions and peppers. Not sure if i will do it again or at least not for a while.

Julie
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 27th Feb 10, 8:03 AM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 6,034 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Hi Julie,

I do liver in the slow cooker - and it comes out lovely!

I brown the liver, some bacon and onions lightly in a frying pan first (having dusted the liver in flour first) then throw it in the slow cooker for about 6 hours in some made up gravy!

I love it done this way - i ust do the spuds seperately.

will watch this to see how others do it.
    Originally posted by TraceyB
    I did this yesterday, didn't bother with prefry and it was ready in 2 hours. Lovely and thick and soft, just how I like it!
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • Barneysmom
    • By Barneysmom 27th Feb 10, 8:06 AM
    • 9,457 Posts
    • 24,285 Thanks
    Barneysmom
    It seems such a waste to me though?
    Lamb's liver takes minutes to cook so by the time you've browned it off on the top it's just about done?
    Barney is my border collie.
  • Olliebeak
    I don't think I'd do Lamb's Liver in the slow cooker (I usually only cook that for around 4-5mins depending on how thick it is), but it may be a good idea for Pig's or Ox Liver.
  • onetomany
    i do liver and bacon in the sc with a packet mix its yummy
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 1st Mar 10, 8:38 AM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 6,034 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    It seems such a waste to me though?
    Lamb's liver takes minutes to cook so by the time you've browned it off on the top it's just about done?
    Originally posted by Barneysmom
    I suppose you are right but I was just trying to get liver the way we used to have it for school dinners...it was my favourite. (Strange child!)
    I remember someone telling me that they used to put it in the oven on a very low temp for a long time, so thought that sc was worth a try. It worked but I certainly would keep testing for time, so not an all-dayer
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 1st Mar 10, 8:58 AM
    • 3,887 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    I cook mine with onions and bacon in the slow cooker, sometimes i add a tin of chopped tomatoes and some worcester sauce.

I always throw some into the food processor after straining off the liquid and adding melted butter. Pot it into ramekins and refridgerate or freeze.

This makes a lovely home made pate to enjoy on toast.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 1st Mar 10, 9:32 AM
    • 13,338 Posts
    • 102,841 Thanks
    JackieO
    I always do liver and bacon in the SC I gently fry of the liver which I have dusted with flour, plus some chopped up streaky bacon first,then some onions chopped up very small and any veg that I find in the veg drawer of my fridge that looks past its best.Make a thick gloopy gravy from some powdered bisto and a crumbled up Oxo cube and pour over the top.I also sprinkle some sage and onion dry stuffing mix in with it for extra flavour,in fact any herbs or even some garlic perks it up a bit,but then I love garlic in almost anything .leave it on low for around 6-7 hours and its beautiful and melt in the mouth.As I make quite a big potful at one go I usually have one portion for dinner with mash on top and the rest I devide up into separate portions and top with creamy mash, and when cold freeze. I have always made it like this as I was the only one in my family to like liver & bacon so I can get around four extra meals from a lb of lambs liver .I'm not so keen on any other liver though, lamb is the nicest tasting.A good economical meal that I have costed out at around 60p a portion depending on the cost of the liver.Often offal is yellow-stickered in the supermarket so I grab it then.
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • hilstep2000
    • By hilstep2000 1st Mar 10, 11:03 AM
    • 3,054 Posts
    • 17,533 Thanks
    hilstep2000
    A way to get kids to eat it (I love it!) Is put it in a casserole dish or SC and cover it with a jar of tomato pasta sauce. The liver goes all crumbly, then serve it on spaghetti like bolognese! Mine never knew they were eating liver!
    I Believe in saving money!!!
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• stef240377
    I do my liver, onions and mushrooms in the slow cooker. I coat liver in flour and throw it all in with some beef stock and leave it on low for a few hours. This way i know its cooked through properly and is so soft it melts in the mouth. As OH has a low immune system he is not meant to eat it but cooked this way it means he can still enjoy it occassionally.
    Was married 2nd october 2009 to the most wonderful man possible

DD 1994, DS 1996 AND DS 1997

Lost 3st 5lb with Slimming world so far!!
  • maltesers
    I cook mine with onions and bacon in the slow cooker, sometimes i add a tin of chopped tomatoes and some worcester sauce.

I always throw some into the food processor after straining off the liquid and adding melted butter. Pot it into ramekins and refridgerate or freeze.

This makes a lovely home made pate to enjoy on toast.

SD
    Originally posted by Sunnyday
    Great idea to save a bit for pate - thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

166Posts Today

1,381Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Glad to see @IamSairaKhan is offering out Prosecco not champagne on #CBB. Her time with me hasn't been wasted!

• I can see @IamSairaKhan already starting to look after everyone, like she does me on a shoot. I hope they appreciate her in there #cbb

• Why do some #CBB contestants feel the need to swear every other word. The power of profanity is in its rare shocking use. Its horrid.

• Follow Martin