Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > January 2010 Grocery Challenge (Page 72)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
January 2010 Grocery Challenge
Views: 90,925
# 1421
daisy1973
Old 21-01-2010, 7:27 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi all,have been shopping today and spent 22.53 so not too bad,fingers crossed will end next week with a on my face !!

Off to update sig,have a good weekend everyone(bit early i know)
365 in 365 days challenge(dec 09/ dec 10)62 banked
Feb GC /390(me,DH,DD(17),DS(12)2dogs)
(food,drink,household goods,toiletries,petrol)
Drop one thing in 2010 challenge-Magazines
50,000 situps by end of 2010 1024/20,000(own target)
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to daisy1973 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1422
Long tall sally
Old 21-01-2010, 7:37 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi all. Managed to have a NSD today & will again tomorrow hopefully as am at work for most of it. Getting quite worried about money now as I normally get a carer's allowance for my son and I haven't received that this month because D,W& P have said that I earned too much last month to be eligible for it which I disagree with but they are looking into. Then tonight OH came home to say they may all be facing redundancy at work. Things seem to be going from bad to worse at the moment so I may be needing to reign in my grocery spending even more than I have been doing.
Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan

Last edited by Long tall sally; 22-01-2010 at 8:58 PM.
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Long tall sally For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1423
elizabunny
Old 21-01-2010, 7:37 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by taka View Post
Good to have you back MRSMCAWBER!

Well done to Helen Jelly for looking after this in your absence too!
Totally agree with the above
Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022
5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to elizabunny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1424
Linda32
Old 21-01-2010, 7:55 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hello all, I said 240 for the month so thats 60.00 for the week. My week started on 31st December

So 240.00 to finish on 28th January, that will be 4 weeks at 60.00 per week

Already spent:-

Co-op 18.54
Sainsbury 40.45

Okay well, I still have this weekends shopping to put on. I'll take a list and then whatever it comes to at 28th January, I'll knock 10.00 off that.
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Linda32 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1425
mrsmortenharket
Old 21-01-2010, 7:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hello.

Welcome back MrsMC, hope you are all better now x

Spent 2.96 in Mr M today. Off to update sig. I am hoping will end up under budget. I am meal planning like a demon, so here's hoping!

Lisa x
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to mrsmortenharket For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1426
Coxy11
Old 21-01-2010, 8:10 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Wow - 70 pages!!!

Hello everyone,

Been on a course today and had to buy lunch, but this was from my Av0n purse, so not from our GC total. Felt really indulgent buying a freshly made cheese sandwich and crisps! Food hygiene course - gave me both a headache and nausea - not looking forward to day 2 tomorrow!

Being that our GC for Jan ends tomorrow, and I've no plans to go out tonight, I'd like to declare at 349.02 this month which is 50.98 under. We have really tightened our belts and I have had several days of moany kids complaining that there's no biscuits, DH moaning about some evening meals, and an almost empty fridge, but funnily enough we have all survived .

A big thank you to Helen Jelly for keeping us on the straight and narrow, and welcome back MrsM.

Good luck everybody and hugs to all that need them.

Coxy
xx
August GC 283.52/450 Stock: 53
Cross-stitch - WIP Daisy Girl
14 in 2014:9/14
Completed in 2014: Blackwork Sampler, Ilkley, knitted snowmouse, crocheted starfish, Stockings, Silver Nia, Garden Medley, Owl coaster, Funky cushion
READ MORE BOOKS!: currently reading: Life After Life
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to Coxy11 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1427
PennyGrabber
Old 21-01-2010, 8:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Two NSDs in a row for me, and my new month starts tomorrow, so now I can set myself a budget and do my meal plan. Having been away, it was really helpful to 'play' OS for a week, before starting properly again.
Made some soup yesterday - classic storecupboard cuisine! I opened the cupboard, found red lentils, a tin of toms (with a bit of sugar), a tin of hotdog sausages, some bbq herby-type mix, some mixed herbs, some worcester sauce, a veg stock cube and a dash of tabasco. Despite sounding weird, was actually quite nice with som hm bread for my lunch today!!
Not declaring for Jan, but I would like to have a budget of 150 for Feb please.
Food etc for me, DD9 and DS7(and a bf half the time for dinners)
April lost count but about 180
May budget 100, spent 130, which is a 28% reduction on April!!
June budget 90, spent around 150
July budget 93, spent so far 82.72
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to PennyGrabber For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1428
mama67
Old 21-01-2010, 8:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBees View Post
Evening everyone -

Moniker - please could we have the recipe for the chicken and broccoli bake? It sounds lovely and I have some chicken I was going to put in a pie.

Tonight's tea was whoopsied sausages, some leftover mash from the freezer which I turned into fried potato, baked beans and a packet of super noodles!! Not very healthy but v.cheap!I also made a favourite pudding of mine from my school days. Does anyone remember "Fudge Tart"? It was a pastry base with a thick, creamy filling and grated chocolate on top. Well I found the recipe on a school recipe website and it was just as I remembered it.

NSD for me as we were back to school but I will need a couple things tomorrow to keep us going til the end of the week.

Heavy snow forecast here tomorrow afternoon. I love the snow but my son has an exam on Thursday so hope he can get to school.
Recipe please !!!
2 adults, 2 boys ( sportsmad-big eaters) (19 & 15)
My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to mama67 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1429
jessie18
Old 21-01-2010, 9:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hello everyone,
well i told myself this month was going to be so very different ......yes i was intending to be a lot more organised.... Hasnt happened yet!!! That said its a good job ive managed to keep all my receipts so i can update tomorrow. Im hoping to still be within my budget for January even though ive had to send hubby out shopping as ive had raging toothach for two and a half weeks, a week of that even after i had it out
I wont ever be sending him again, last weeks shopping was 106 for one week
Mmm me thinks if it was his money he wouldnt have been buying all those nice things, and would have stuck to the list. I hope everyones getting on o.k, i havent been able to keep up with the threads as ive felt so awful. Will update tomorrow, fingers crossed ill be within budget
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to jessie18 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1430
TheBees
Old 21-01-2010, 10:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

As requested, here is the recipe for self saucing chocolate pudding - found in a magazine a few years ago.

Serves 8 (or 4 hungry people!)

Pie dish 750ml (1 1/4pt)
125g plain flour
pinch of salt
60g caster sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
120ml milk
40g melted butter
1 egg
couple drops vanilla essence

Topping
180g muscovado or any brown sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
250ml boiling water

Method
Grease the pie dish
Sieve the dry ingredients into a bowl. Combine the milk, butter, egg and vanilla and mix with the dry ingredients all together. Pour into the pie dish. Cover with cling film and put in the fridge. Can be left overnight for the following day if you wish.
Preheat oven 180c. Sprinkle cocoa and sugar for the topping over the pudding. Pour the boiling water over the top. Do not mix. Place in oven and cook for 45 minutes until puffy and firm in the centre. May be served with cream or ice cream.

NSD here but Mr T coming tom with a large shop. Good news - the ipod came back today!
Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off 9000
Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target 500

Last edited by TheBees; 21-01-2010 at 10:16 PM.
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to TheBees For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1431
TheBees
Old 21-01-2010, 10:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Oops sorry wrong recipe

Fudge Tart from School recipes.co.uk

Ingredients
Pastry made with 6oz plain flour
Filling
1/2 pint milk
3 oz sugar
4 oz marg
2 oz plain flour
1/2 oz grated chocolate
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Method
Make pastry and line 8 inch flan tin bake blind if you wish. (I bought one!)
Pour half the milk into saucepan, add marg and heat until nearly boiling. Blend the remainder of the milk with the flour, mix to a smooth paste then add to the milk/marg mixture. Add sugar and cook thoroughly until a smooth finish obtained. Add vanilla essence. Pour into pastry case. Chill til set the grate chocolate on top.
Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off 9000
Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target 500
The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to TheBees For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1432
JackieO
Old 21-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Just did a count up from my food purse, and still have 87.14 left to last till the end of the month.Been really good this month, and using up lots of stuff from the freezer and store cupboards. What's left over will go into my holiday fund for this August.I did have lots of tins of biscuits and cakes and stuff as presents for some reason so those have come in very handy plus of course lots of thick soups from veggies in my SC
R.I.P Alan 17/5/1933-14/7/2003
Fiscal-fasting for July. 31.12 stashed in my purse for food.Only two shopping days this month
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to JackieO For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1433
pink_numbers
Old 22-01-2010, 12:13 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I just realised that I haven't had to go food shopping in two weeks!

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to pink_numbers For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1434
Rachel021967
Old 22-01-2010, 12:15 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Went to Wilkinsons and total forgot about the challenge until I reached the bus stop.
I spent 15.81 on cleaning stuff and a 1.49 meal deal. I was going to a club who didn't know I was vegetarian. Should of saved my money as the bus was very late which didn't make it worthwhile to go to the club. Also went to M&S and bought a 59p orange. Also paid the milkman 4.06.
I'm planning on using up what I have left in the cupboards to reduce overspend but overspend I will. My daughter wants hot dinners next week so thats 9.50 and I will have to get fresh fruit and bread and pay the milkman. So I'm hoping the overspend will be under 30.
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Rachel021967 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1435
rosieben
Old 22-01-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
As requested, here is the recipe for self saucing chocolate pudding - found in a magazine a few years ago. ...
Quote:
Oops sorry wrong recipe

Fudge Tart from School recipes.co.uk ... .
both recipes in the front page index, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
.. Moniker's Honey and Orange Chicken ...
is in the index too, thanks Moniker!

Great to see you back MrsMC Helen has done a great job for us
... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener

Last edited by rosieben; 22-01-2010 at 1:01 AM.
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to rosieben For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1436
franby64
Old 22-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi all
Just updating sig. I've decided to try to last until the end of the month without a delivery but I've had to book a T*sco one for 31/1 because the coupons I got for their earlier no-shows expire then. This will go in the Feb budget.
So this morning I'm going to see what's left and revamp my meal plan. Would love an underspend this month but musn't speak too soon!
Starting weight on 28/4 14st 03lbs. Weight on 26/5 13st 10lbs. Lost 00st 07lbs.Target 9st 10lbs. 56lbs left.
Make 2.50 a day July 13.83/77.50.(F-Jn, 394.49)
Contingency fund : 394.49, Tesco vouchers 11.50, Boots Points 3.53 Nectar Points 27.56 Waterstones 1.91
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to franby64 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1437
miss_cupcake
Old 22-01-2010, 10:28 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I've been lurking on this thread for a while now and I've really enjoyed reading everyone's experiences, tips and advice. I really wish it was the end of the month already so I could start joining in for Feb! Need to try and come up with a budget figure to aim for first though, I've never properly tracked how much we (OH, me and 2 house bunnies) spend on groceries so I'll need to estimate a realistic figure....hmmm.
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to miss_cupcake For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1438
SunnyGirl
Old 22-01-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_cupcake View Post
I've been lurking on this thread for a while now and I've really enjoyed reading everyone's experiences, tips and advice. I really wish it was the end of the month already so I could start joining in for Feb! Need to try and come up with a budget figure to aim for first though, I've never properly tracked how much we (OH, me and 2 house bunnies) spend on groceries so I'll need to estimate a realistic figure....hmmm.
When I started I tried to remember my last 2 weeks shopping bills to get an average and multiplied the amount by 4 or 5 depending on whether it was a four or five week month if you know what I mean

I was waaaaaay out though and was spending upto 600 a month It wasn't the actual supermarket trips that were denting the budget it was all the nip ins during the week for something I needed and instead of just getting milk, for example, I'd see loads of 'bargains' and stock up whether I needed it or not Once I got this under control, by only going into the supermarket once a week or only taking enough money out for whatever I need, and the brilliant help on here I have nearly cut this in half

Good luck and look forward to seeing you in February's challenge. Do have a look at the first 3 posts on the thread as theres an explanation of how it works & lots of brilliant recipes from post 3 onwards
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to SunnyGirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1439
mijm0t77
Old 22-01-2010, 10:44 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi

Like miss_cupcake, i have been following this thread for the past few weeks and i am looking forward to joining the Feb Challenge!

I have been watching what i spend for the past 6 months or so (after making the decision to get rid of the debts we have accumulated over the past 5 years whilst i have been a SAHM)

Over the past few weeks i have been reading all your posts and have already picked up lots of get tips and the motivation to plan meals more. Thank you!

Look forward to getting to now you all better!
Debts @ 20-04-14 = 10,987
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to mijm0t77 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1440
miss_cupcake
Old 22-01-2010, 10:50 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyGirl View Post
When I started I tried to remember my last 2 weeks shopping bills to get an average and multiplied the amount by 4 or 5 depending on whether it was a four or five week month if you know what I mean

I was waaaaaay out though and was spending upto 600 a month It wasn't the actual supermarket trips that were denting the budget it was all the nip ins during the week for something I needed and instead of just getting milk, for example, I'd see loads of 'bargains' and stock up whether I needed it or not Once I got this under control, by only going into the supermarket once a week or only taking enough money out for whatever I need, and the brilliant help on here I have nearly cut this in half

Good luck and look forward to seeing you in February's challenge. Do have a look at the first 3 posts on the thread as theres an explanation of how it works & lots of brilliant recipes from post 3 onwards
That's good advice, thanks I'll have a read of the earlier posts so I'm fully prepared for Feb
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to miss_cupcake For This Useful Post: Show me >>