Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Pink.
    January 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th Dec 09, 6:28 PM
    January 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th Dec 09 at 6:28 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #4 and #5 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and can I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-12-2009 at 9:52 PM.
Page 72
  • daisy1973
    Hi all,have been shopping today and spent 22.53 so not too bad,fingers crossed will end next week with a on my face !!

Off to update sig,have a good weekend everyone(bit early i know)
    365 in 365 days challenge(dec 09/ dec 10)62 banked
    Feb GC /390(me,DH,DD(17),DS(12)2dogs)
    (food,drink,household goods,toiletries,petrol)
    Drop one thing in 2010 challenge-Magazines
    50,000 situps by end of 2010 1024/20,000(own target)
  • Long tall sally
    Hi all. Managed to have a NSD today & will again tomorrow hopefully as am at work for most of it. Getting quite worried about money now as I normally get a carer's allowance for my son and I haven't received that this month because D,W& P have said that I earned too much last month to be eligible for it which I disagree with but they are looking into. Then tonight OH came home to say they may all be facing redundancy at work. Things seem to be going from bad to worse at the moment so I may be needing to reign in my grocery spending even more than I have been doing.
    Last edited by Long tall sally; 22-01-2010 at 8:58 PM.
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
  • elizabunny
    Good to have you back MRSMCAWBER!

Well done to Helen Jelly for looking after this in your absence too!
    Originally posted by taka
    Totally agree with the above
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • Linda32
    Hello all, I said 240 for the month so thats 60.00 for the week. My week started on 31st December

So 240.00 to finish on 28th January, that will be 4 weeks at 60.00 per week

Already spent:-

Co-op 18.54
    Sainsbury 40.45

Okay well, I still have this weekends shopping to put on. I'll take a list and then whatever it comes to at 28th January, I'll knock 10.00 off that.
  • mrsmortenharket
    Hello.

Welcome back MrsMC, hope you are all better now x

Spent 2.96 in Mr M today. Off to update sig. I am hoping will end up under budget. I am meal planning like a demon, so here's hoping!

Lisa x
  • Coxy11
    Wow - 70 pages!!!

Hello everyone,

Been on a course today and had to buy lunch, but this was from my Av0n purse, so not from our GC total. Felt really indulgent buying a freshly made cheese sandwich and crisps! Food hygiene course - gave me both a headache and nausea - not looking forward to day 2 tomorrow!

Being that our GC for Jan ends tomorrow, and I've no plans to go out tonight, I'd like to declare at 349.02 this month which is 50.98 under. We have really tightened our belts and I have had several days of moany kids complaining that there's no biscuits, DH moaning about some evening meals, and an almost empty fridge, but funnily enough we have all survived .

A big thank you to Helen Jelly for keeping us on the straight and narrow, and welcome back MrsM.

Good luck everybody and hugs to all that need them.

Coxy
    xx
    Cross-stitch WIP: Pretty Little Sydney
    Currently reading: The Jane Austen Book Club
  • PennyGrabber
    Two NSDs in a row for me, and my new month starts tomorrow, so now I can set myself a budget and do my meal plan. Having been away, it was really helpful to 'play' OS for a week, before starting properly again.
    Made some soup yesterday - classic storecupboard cuisine! I opened the cupboard, found red lentils, a tin of toms (with a bit of sugar), a tin of hotdog sausages, some bbq herby-type mix, some mixed herbs, some worcester sauce, a veg stock cube and a dash of tabasco. Despite sounding weird, was actually quite nice with som hm bread for my lunch today!!
    Not declaring for Jan, but I would like to have a budget of 150 for Feb please.
    Family of three - me, dd(10) and ds(8). Budget is only food, as that is where I struggle!! Feed dp 6-10 times per month too.
    May 105.98/100 April 91.60/100
  • mama67
    Evening everyone -

Moniker - please could we have the recipe for the chicken and broccoli bake? It sounds lovely and I have some chicken I was going to put in a pie.

Tonight's tea was whoopsied sausages, some leftover mash from the freezer which I turned into fried potato, baked beans and a packet of super noodles!! Not very healthy but v.cheap!I also made a favourite pudding of mine from my school days. Does anyone remember "Fudge Tart"? It was a pastry base with a thick, creamy filling and grated chocolate on top. Well I found the recipe on a school recipe website and it was just as I remembered it.

NSD for me as we were back to school but I will need a couple things tomorrow to keep us going til the end of the week.

Heavy snow forecast here tomorrow afternoon. I love the snow but my son has an exam on Thursday so hope he can get to school.
    Originally posted by TheBees
    Recipe please !!!
    2 adults, 2 boys ( sportsmad-big eaters) (19 & 16)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • jessie18
    Hello everyone,
    well i told myself this month was going to be so very different ......yes i was intending to be a lot more organised.... Hasnt happened yet!!! That said its a good job ive managed to keep all my receipts so i can update tomorrow. Im hoping to still be within my budget for January even though ive had to send hubby out shopping as ive had raging toothach for two and a half weeks, a week of that even after i had it out
    I wont ever be sending him again, last weeks shopping was 106 for one week
    Mmm me thinks if it was his money he wouldnt have been buying all those nice things, and would have stuck to the list. I hope everyones getting on o.k, i havent been able to keep up with the threads as ive felt so awful. Will update tomorrow, fingers crossed ill be within budget
  • TheBees
    As requested, here is the recipe for self saucing chocolate pudding - found in a magazine a few years ago.

Serves 8 (or 4 hungry people!)

Pie dish 750ml (1 1/4pt)
    125g plain flour
    pinch of salt
    60g caster sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    2 tablespoons cocoa powder
    120ml milk
    40g melted butter
    1 egg
    couple drops vanilla essence

Topping
    180g muscovado or any brown sugar
    2 tablespoons cocoa
    250ml boiling water

Method
    Grease the pie dish
    Sieve the dry ingredients into a bowl. Combine the milk, butter, egg and vanilla and mix with the dry ingredients all together. Pour into the pie dish. Cover with cling film and put in the fridge. Can be left overnight for the following day if you wish.
    Preheat oven 180c. Sprinkle cocoa and sugar for the topping over the pudding. Pour the boiling water over the top. Do not mix. Place in oven and cook for 45 minutes until puffy and firm in the centre. May be served with cream or ice cream.

NSD here but Mr T coming tom with a large shop. Good news - the ipod came back today!
    Last edited by TheBees; 21-01-2010 at 10:16 PM.
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off 9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target 500
  • TheBees
    Oops sorry wrong recipe

Fudge Tart from School recipes.co.uk

Ingredients
    Pastry made with 6oz plain flour
    Filling
    1/2 pint milk
    3 oz sugar
    4 oz marg
    2 oz plain flour
    1/2 oz grated chocolate
    1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Method
    Make pastry and line 8 inch flan tin bake blind if you wish. (I bought one!)
    Pour half the milk into saucepan, add marg and heat until nearly boiling. Blend the remainder of the milk with the flour, mix to a smooth paste then add to the milk/marg mixture. Add sugar and cook thoroughly until a smooth finish obtained. Add vanilla essence. Pour into pastry case. Chill til set the grate chocolate on top.
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off 9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target 500
  • JackieO
    Just did a count up from my food purse, and still have 87.14 left to last till the end of the month.Been really good this month, and using up lots of stuff from the freezer and store cupboards. What's left over will go into my holiday fund for this August.I did have lots of tins of biscuits and cakes and stuff as presents for some reason so those have come in very handy plus of course lots of thick soups from veggies in my SC
    My late OH Alan Michael John
    17 May 1933-14 July 2003

To all my wonderful friends on here
  • pink_numbers
    I just realised that I haven't had to go food shopping in two weeks!

• Rachel021967
    Went to Wilkinsons and total forgot about the challenge until I reached the bus stop.
    I spent 15.81 on cleaning stuff and a 1.49 meal deal. I was going to a club who didn't know I was vegetarian. Should of saved my money as the bus was very late which didn't make it worthwhile to go to the club. Also went to M&S and bought a 59p orange. Also paid the milkman 4.06.
    I'm planning on using up what I have left in the cupboards to reduce overspend but overspend I will. My daughter wants hot dinners next week so thats 9.50 and I will have to get fresh fruit and bread and pay the milkman. So I'm hoping the overspend will be under 30.
  • rosieben
    As requested, here is the recipe for self saucing chocolate pudding - found in a magazine a few years ago. ...
    Oops sorry wrong recipe

Fudge Tart from School recipes.co.uk ... .
    both recipes in the front page index, thanks

.. Moniker's Honey and Orange Chicken ...
    Originally posted by Moniker
    is in the index too, thanks Moniker!

Great to see you back MrsMC Helen has done a great job for us
    Last edited by rosieben; 22-01-2010 at 1:01 AM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • franby64
    Hi all
    Just updating sig. I've decided to try to last until the end of the month without a delivery but I've had to book a T*sco one for 31/1 because the coupons I got for their earlier no-shows expire then. This will go in the Feb budget.
    So this morning I'm going to see what's left and revamp my meal plan. Would love an underspend this month but musn't speak too soon!
    Starting weight on 12/1 13st 13lbs. Weight on ??/1 ??st ??lbs. Lost 00st 00lbs.Target 9st 13lbs. 56lbs left.
    Make 5.00 a day January 21.84/155.00.00.(Dec, 17.46) GC Jan 209.18(90.82/300.00)
    Contingency fund : 17.46, Tesco vouchers 0.00, Boots Points 2.33 Nectar Points 04.57 Waterstones 0.18
    Total: 24.12
  • miss_cupcake
    I've been lurking on this thread for a while now and I've really enjoyed reading everyone's experiences, tips and advice. I really wish it was the end of the month already so I could start joining in for Feb! Need to try and come up with a budget figure to aim for first though, I've never properly tracked how much we (OH, me and 2 house bunnies) spend on groceries so I'll need to estimate a realistic figure....hmmm.
  • SunnyGirl
    I've been lurking on this thread for a while now and I've really enjoyed reading everyone's experiences, tips and advice. I really wish it was the end of the month already so I could start joining in for Feb! Need to try and come up with a budget figure to aim for first though, I've never properly tracked how much we (OH, me and 2 house bunnies) spend on groceries so I'll need to estimate a realistic figure....hmmm.
    Originally posted by miss_cupcake
    When I started I tried to remember my last 2 weeks shopping bills to get an average and multiplied the amount by 4 or 5 depending on whether it was a four or five week month if you know what I mean

I was waaaaaay out though and was spending upto 600 a month It wasn't the actual supermarket trips that were denting the budget it was all the nip ins during the week for something I needed and instead of just getting milk, for example, I'd see loads of 'bargains' and stock up whether I needed it or not Once I got this under control, by only going into the supermarket once a week or only taking enough money out for whatever I need, and the brilliant help on here I have nearly cut this in half

Good luck and look forward to seeing you in February's challenge. Do have a look at the first 3 posts on the thread as theres an explanation of how it works & lots of brilliant recipes from post 3 onwards
  • mijm0t77
    Hi

Like miss_cupcake, i have been following this thread for the past few weeks and i am looking forward to joining the Feb Challenge!

I have been watching what i spend for the past 6 months or so (after making the decision to get rid of the debts we have accumulated over the past 5 years whilst i have been a SAHM)

Over the past few weeks i have been reading all your posts and have already picked up lots of get tips and the motivation to plan meals more. Thank you!

Look forward to getting to now you all better!
    Debts @ 20-04-14 = 10,987
  • miss_cupcake
    When I started I tried to remember my last 2 weeks shopping bills to get an average and multiplied the amount by 4 or 5 depending on whether it was a four or five week month if you know what I mean

I was waaaaaay out though and was spending upto 600 a month It wasn't the actual supermarket trips that were denting the budget it was all the nip ins during the week for something I needed and instead of just getting milk, for example, I'd see loads of 'bargains' and stock up whether I needed it or not Once I got this under control, by only going into the supermarket once a week or only taking enough money out for whatever I need, and the brilliant help on here I have nearly cut this in half

Good luck and look forward to seeing you in February's challenge. Do have a look at the first 3 posts on the thread as theres an explanation of how it works & lots of brilliant recipes from post 3 onwards
    Originally posted by SunnyGirl
    That's good advice, thanks I'll have a read of the earlier posts so I'm fully prepared for Feb
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,625Posts Today

9,173Users online

Martin's Twitter