Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Question for home bread makers - Tiger bread (Page 7)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Question for home bread makers - Tiger bread
Views: 134,946
# 121
waltermcculloch
Old 08-08-2009, 3:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

We are trying to find out the recipe too, dunno where to start lol
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 122
catherinen
Old 25-08-2009, 8:13 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have made Tiger bread lots of times. After lots of trial and error I came up with a recipe for the crust which is close enough to bought tiger bread to satisfy my kids. I use toasted sesame oil in the rice flour paste. 100g rice flour, ¼ tsp salt, 1tsp sugar, ½ tsp quick yeast, 1 Tab sp sesame oil and 150ml warm water.
You can see a picture and my list of ingredients at my stressed mum blog.
# 123
Swan
Old 25-08-2009, 9:48 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherinen View Post
I have made Tiger bread lots of times. After lots of trial and error I came up with a recipe for the crust which is close enough to bought tiger bread to satisfy my kids. I use toasted sesame oil in the rice flour paste. 100g rice flour, ¼ tsp salt, 1tsp sugar, ½ tsp quick yeast, 1 Tab sp sesame oil and 150ml warm water.
hi,
your loaves look absolutely lovely!

I tried that method some time back, see post #16, but once the loaf was cooked, the sesame flavour disappeared the post I quote below explains it

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth View Post
Which sesame oil are people using in the paste?

The smell and taste of the store bought tiger bread reminds me of the toasted sesame oil used as a flavouring in Chinese cooking. This is not the the same as the sesame oil used in for cooking or salad oils.

The toasted oil has a rich nutty smell and flavour that will not survive baking or cooking.
can't believe that never occurred to me before as I'd never use toasted sesame oil to actually stir fry, only as a seasoning

anyway, now that I've got a working kitchen again, over the weekend I'm going to give the brush-on-some-Chinese sesame oil-after-the-loaf-is-baked strategy I mentioned a couple of posts back
& I'll give the mixing the oil with the topping method another go using your recipe
# 124
lickylonglips
Old 25-08-2009, 10:04 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Tiger bread is made with sesame oil and with a pattern baked into the top made by painting rice paste onto the surface prior to baking. The paste dries and cracks during the baking process, creating a two-colour effect similar to a tiger's markings, hence the name. The rice paste crust also gives the bread a distinctive flavour. It has a crusty exterior, but is soft inside. Typically, tiger bread is made as a white bread bloomer loaf or bread roll, but the technique can be applied to any shape of bread.
Tiger bread originates from the the Netherlands, where it is known as tijgerbrood and has been sold at least since the early 1990s.
It was introduced in the United Kingdom around 2005 as "tiger bread".
It is sold as "Dutch crunch" in delis throughout the San Francisco Bay Area, but is little known in the United States outside that region.[citation needed] In the United States it is also sometimes known as dragonette bread.
Tiger baps/bread/cubs etc were invented in the 1980's by a baker called Don Job, in a small bakery called The Oven Door which was located in Penzance, Cornwall.
The original mix did not use sesame oil - just plain vegetable oil, rice flour, yeast and water mixed with a whisk and left to stand for a while.
The tiger mix we see on bread in supermarkets is supplied as a premix now by Allied Bakeries.
# 125
avinabacca
Old 25-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lickylonglips View Post
Tiger bread is made with sesame oil and with a pattern baked into the top made by painting rice paste onto the surface prior to baking. The paste dries and cracks during the baking process, creating a two-colour effect similar to a tiger's markings, hence the name. The rice paste crust also gives the bread a distinctive flavour. It has a crusty exterior, but is soft inside. Typically, tiger bread is made as a white bread bloomer loaf or bread roll, but the technique can be applied to any shape of bread.
Tiger bread originates from the the Netherlands, where it is known as tijgerbrood and has been sold at least since the early 1990s.
It was introduced in the United Kingdom around 2005 as "tiger bread".
It is sold as "Dutch crunch" in delis throughout the San Francisco Bay Area, but is little known in the United States outside that region.[citation needed] In the United States it is also sometimes known as dragonette bread.
Tiger baps/bread/cubs etc were invented in the 1980's by a baker called Don Job, in a small bakery called The Oven Door which was located in Penzance, Cornwall.
The original mix did not use sesame oil - just plain vegetable oil, rice flour, yeast and water mixed with a whisk and left to stand for a while.
The tiger mix we see on bread in supermarkets is supplied as a premix now by Allied Bakeries.
Or you could just have posted http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_bread
Oh come on, don't be silly.

It's the internet
- it's not real!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avinabacca For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 126
arkonite_babe
Old 06-09-2009, 10:57 PM

Are we any closer to solving the mystery? I'd really like to get a good copy cat version going in my bm.
# 127
Swan
Old 07-09-2009, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkonite_babe View Post
Are we any closer to solving the mystery? I'd really like to get a good copy cat version going in my bm.
I hope to have another go later this week, I've been dying to try again but I've been hampered by moving home & some major joinery going on in my new house

once the sawdust's cleared away & my kitchen's useable again I'll report back

PS ... I'm going to make the dough in a BM but bake the topped loaf in the oven
I've tried it in a BM, but you don't get a good distribution of the topping, because of the tall shape of the loaf, & it doesn't brown very well

Last edited by Swan; 07-09-2009 at 7:42 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Swan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 128
arkonite_babe
Old 12-09-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
I tried that method some time back, see post #16, but once the loaf was cooked, the sesame flavour disappeared the post I quote below explains it

can't believe that never occurred to me before as I'd never use toasted sesame oil to actually stir fry, only as a seasoning

anyway, now that I've got a working kitchen again, over the weekend I'm going to give the brush-on-some-Chinese sesame oil-after-the-loaf-is-baked strategy I mentioned a couple of posts back
& I'll give the mixing the oil with the topping method another go using your recipe
I have the version of tiger bread dough you posted in my BM currently. I tweaked it a wee bit and added 1tbspn of the oil from the top of tahini instead of one of the spoons of oil in the bread. I also added 1tbspn of ground roasted sesame seeds to the bread mix. It's a wait and see how it turns out kinda loaf

I'll post up pics later this afternoon when its all ready
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arkonite_babe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 129
Swan
Old 12-09-2009, 1:39 PM

Quote:
I have the version of tiger bread dough you posted in my BM currently. I tweaked it a wee bit and added 1tbspn of the oil from the top of tahini instead of one of the spoons of oil in the bread. I also added 1tbspn of ground roasted sesame seeds to the bread mix. It's a wait and see how it turns out kinda loaf

I'll post up pics later this afternoon when its all ready
well done looking forward to seeing your pics

I've not been able to give another try yet because I've got no water in my kitchen till Monday
# 130
arkonite_babe
Old 12-09-2009, 2:11 PM

OK, 40 minutes to go, just made the topping. It's a really thick dough like mix too, should be interesting getting it on the top of the loaf
# 131
arkonite_babe
Old 12-09-2009, 8:27 PM

No results to post.

Epic Fail!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arkonite_babe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 132
Swan
Old 12-09-2009, 8:37 PM

Quote:
No results to post.

Epic Fail!
that's more or less what happened to mine in the BM, it turned out pale & not Tigery at all

it was a normal-ish height (more luck than judgement though) I think the spreading on of the topping interrupts the 'flow' of what the BM's doing & they're picky & unforgiving creatures these machines!

I think an oven bake's the way to go, I'll give it a try next week once my kitchen's sorted out with some water

well done for giving it a go
The Following User Says Thank You to Swan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 133
Mollymop5
Old 12-09-2009, 11:31 PM

I was told the top of tiger bread was marmite!
bake your bread then brush ontop towards the end of baking.
haven't tried it but might have a go soon.
lost my way but now I'm back ! roll on 2013
spc member 72

# 134
lizm39
Old 28-09-2009, 3:40 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default tiger bread

I came across this recipe , if nayone wants to try it, haven't tried it myself yet , am going to do so later. I'll let you know how it goes.:confused:

Tiger Loaf
Makes 1 loaf

Bread
500g strong white bread flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp of yeast (or 1 sachet of fast-action yeast)
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp sugar
300ml warm water ( 1/3 freshly boiled, 2/3 cold water)

If you are NOT using fast-action yeast prepare yeast with the warm water & sugar and leave for 15 min to froth.

Tiger topping

1 1/2 tsp yeast
65ml warm water (you may need more)
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
60g rice flour

1) Mix together flour, salt and fast-action yeast (if using).

2) Stir sesame oil into the warm water/sugar (and yeast is not using fast-action) mix. Pour the liquid slowly into the flour, stirring constantly until well combined.

3) Knead dough on a floured surface for 10 min. If using a mixer, use dough hook and knead for 2 min. Shape dough into a bowl, place in a lightly oiled bowl and leave to prove in a warm, draft-less place for 2 hours (or until dough has doubled in size).

4) Mix together tiger paste ingredients and leave for 15 min. You may need to add a bit more warm water to loosen the paste.

5) Preheat oven to 240oc. Flatten the risen dough with your hand then knead for a further 30 seconds on a floured surface. Roll out into a fat sausage shape and place onto a greased baking sheet. Coat the surface of the bread with the tiger paste and leave to prove for a further 30 min.

5) Cook bread for 10 min at 240oc then turn the oven down to 200oc. Cook bread for a further 10 min. If you tap the base of the bread and it sounds hollow the bread is cooked. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
Print this post
You might also like:
The Following User Says Thank You to lizm39 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 135
bec2012
Old 04-10-2009, 1:44 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherinen View Post
Thank you, I've just tried your recipie and although not quite right like you my children love it ate the whole batch in one sitting, so it will do us until someone comes up with the real thing
# 136
Cherpers
Old 14-10-2009, 12:10 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile Tiger Bread

Hi everyone, I've just spent the last half hour or so reading through this thread as I really want to learn how to make tiger bread. One thing that I've noticed is that one member (sorry can't remember who now) gave a list of ingredients that each of the large supermarkets uses to make the bread. In almost all of them the topping seems to inclue either malt flour or barley malt something-or-other. Maybe this is what gives the 'sesame' like flavour???? I am going out now to see if I can get hold of some malt flour or similar and have a go later on to see if that works. Has anyone else tried this yet???

Nice to talk to you all!
# 137
steve6
Old 22-11-2009, 9:19 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default tiger bread and diabitics

Hi, i have recently started eating tiger bread myself. I think it's lovely. But I wonder what people think about diabitics eating it. I ask for a family member.
# 138
Butterfly Brain
Old 08-12-2009, 2:52 PM

I asked the baker in Asda today and all they do is make normal dough and sprinkle the top with sesame oil before baking.
# 139
A Little Over
Old 11-01-2010, 9:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Tiger Bread

I have noticed that more supermarkets are leaving out the sesame oil so the bread has lost its special flavour. Check the labels for the words "Contains Sesame Oil"
The Following User Says Thank You to A Little Over For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 140
Swan
Old 13-01-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Over View Post
I have noticed that more supermarkets are leaving out the sesame oil so the bread has lost its special flavour. Check the labels for the words "Contains Sesame Oil"
& I thought it was me imagining it, earlier in the thread I mentioned I'd seen 'contains sesame oil' on the labels, & when I went back to look it was gone, good to know I'm not entirely losing the plot

the crackled topping's no problem, we know how to do that, it's capturing that elusive extra flavour ... sesame? marmite? malt?

a few pages back (posts 120 & 123) I was going to bake the bread with the rice paste topping & paint on some sesame oil after it came out of the oven, but have never got round to it because my flat's been like a building site since I moved in August

I am going to have another go at it if my house is ever sorted out, after all the joinery & water supply problems, my landlord's decided to re-wire my flat & it's not very conducive to bread experiments right now, so if anyone else wants to have a go, I'm sure there are a lot of us would be very interested to see the results
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swan For This Useful Post: Show me >>