Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > what's the 3 network like (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
what's the 3 network like
Closed Thread
Views: 5,084
# 1
waterman3
Old 21-12-2009, 9:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default what's the 3 network like

hey all,

I've seen a new mobile i fancy but it's only on the 3 network. I've heard a few bad things about them and wondered what people's experiences were.

I've been on the 3 coverage checker and it just gives a very generic blurb.

any help would be appreciated.

G
# 2
RightyTightyLeftyLoosey
Old 21-12-2009, 9:36 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I found coverage to be good (central Edinburgh) but I've had friends in other cities who found major issues with coverage. I found customer service to be dire. Eventually I left and went back to O2.

Cheap tariffs lure you in but be prepared for anguish when trying to conduct seemingly simple transactions via the customer service department.
The Following User Says Thank You to RightyTightyLeftyLoosey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
terryw
Old 21-12-2009, 9:43 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

For what it is worth, I find 3 excellent. I live in NE England and rarely have problems with signal etc. I travel abroad very often and don't have problems with the coverage.

My rental is 14 or so for 500 minutes and towards the end of each contract (12 or 18 months) I always receive a new phone........which i pass on to the kids as I am quite happy with the original phone.

I would recommend to anyone.
# 4
cindyhove
Old 21-12-2009, 9:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have used 3 over the years on the south coast and in the London area. Always had good coverage and have never had a problem with them in any way.
# 5
Snakeeyes21
Old 21-12-2009, 11:18 PM
PPR

Always had great coverage in the south west.

the largest 3g network in the UK backed up by the largest 2g network.

people who have signal problems must live in a hole or a cave in the middle of nowhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snakeeyes21 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Im just careful
Old 21-12-2009, 11:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I would say that "3" is more variable within buildings than the other networks.

Also people report bad experiences with "3" and contracts. I've a PAYG phone and been very pleased.

Unless you are after one of the "3" own brand phones I'm surprised you can't find the phone you want on another network.

If you are interested in the Skypephone it is surprisingly good at what it does. It doesn't quite have the "quality feel" of the well known brands but considering what it does and what it costs I can recommend it.
# 7
billbennett
Old 22-12-2009, 12:03 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeyes21 View Post
the largest 3g network in the UK
http://www.orange.co.uk/3g would beg to differ
In "Monopoly", what makes the "Super Tax" so super?
# 8
DarkConvict
Old 22-12-2009, 12:12 AM

I thought Vodaphone had the largest coverage as they have or had a majority of 3G mobile broadband contracts, but i guess not
Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies
# 9
korny88
Old 22-12-2009, 12:41 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Normal coverage is generally good, although 3G coverage can have problems in certain parts of the country. Customer services are Indian based and can get quite annoying some times, but recently read that this is improving.

Hope this helps.
# 10
Sol00
Old 22-12-2009, 1:26 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

3 are generally a good network for their coverage, however, their customer service isn't as good as you may like.
# 11
Snakeeyes21
Old 22-12-2009, 1:45 AM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbennett View Post
http://www.orange.co.uk/3g would beg to differ
You can beg all you like

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/i...g/maps/3gmaps/

Three is the best fact, orange are liars

The way orange measure their coverage is a lot less scientific than how 3 do it.

Orange count the number of towns it covers, say they had 1 mast in a town they count that as the area having 100% coverage even if that mast only covers 20% of that area
# 12
d18set
Old 22-12-2009, 8:05 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I've had a 3 phone for the last 3-4 years and have found both the coverage and service excellent. Am now leaving them but only because I want an iPhone and certainly nothing to do with their network/serivce.
# 13
astralbee
Old 22-12-2009, 2:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I had a Three contract for 1 year back in 2005 After a few years of Orange PAYG, it was my first contract and I found the service and coverage to be excellent. I didn't have to call their customer services throughout the 12 months, but I was disappointed when I finally did deal with them at renewal. They did seem to be based abroad (which I'm afraid does make communication difficult) were not particularly helpful or friendly, and made no attempt to retain my custom.

I have just left O2 after 3 years for the same reason - several good offers back to back, but now their best "retention" deal is 3 times more than I am paying them now! So I have shopped around and found the best deal for me is with the Three network again. I have read the mixed experiences on this forum but am happy to give Three a go again. I think that if you open up a thread asking "Are Three all they are cracked up to be?" then you are going to get a flood of negative replies.

Just my opinion!
# 14
waterman3
Old 22-12-2009, 4:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

thanks for all your help. interesting stuff
# 15
paul17104
Old 22-12-2009, 7:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

if you just want a value for money tarriff and never and i mean NEVER need to contact customer services then give it a try ive just left them because of cs and nothing else.
# 16
Radsteral
Old 22-12-2009, 8:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

had 3 since 2005 not any worse than the other networks except sometimes inside the houses loses reception- but so do the rest of networks.
price wise, even if o2 built a mast specially for my phone, i wouldnt subscribe to their 45 + tarifs
# 17
ACDeag
Old 22-12-2009, 8:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman3 View Post
hey all,

I've seen a new mobile i fancy but it's only on the 3 network. I've heard a few bad things about them and wondered what people's experiences were.

I've been on the 3 coverage checker and it just gives a very generic blurb.

any help would be appreciated.

G
3's back up network is Orange so if you can't get a signal from either of these 3 is not for you. I had them for 18 months and their service was always good. Customer services was excellent, only left for the iPhone.
# 18
Money maker
Old 22-12-2009, 8:47 PM

Good coverage (south east) and tariff. However, spent 15 minutes speaking to India yesterday, apparently I cant top up my sons phone by debit card as it needs to be in his name to use it on this phone (he's 14!). Now having to wait for new sim in my name to be able to use a debit card over the phone. Dont have this hassle with tesco.

Cant change again as he wants skype.
Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
# 19
olly300
Old 22-12-2009, 9:17 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

With 3 if everything is fine and you don't need to contact their customer service then you are ok, if you do then you find yourself going through a living hell.

In short their customer service is dire as:
1. They credit checked me twice for an address I didn't live at
2. They tried to charge me for a mobile phone I didn't receive even though their terms and conditions state they can't charge you unless you have received the phone. Only you can sign to receive your phone.
3. When I tried to sort the issue out they transferred me from department to department, then closed the issue each time.
4. They sent debt collecting letters for a second mobile phone which their contract clearly stated I didn't have to pay for if I didn't receive, and I had already told them about over the telephone and by sending recorded delivery letters.
5. A call centre operator threatened me with debt collectors and court action when I refused to accept a second mobile phone. (I already have 2 phones on different networks.)
6. When I told another 2 call centre operators that I would like to deal with my query in writing because the notes that they recorded where not an accurate picture of what was said and I ended the call, one of them phoned me back 3 times and the other twice. I subsequently got did a DSAR to see which proved that they were misrepresenting what I said.
7. They don't answer letters or emails properly instead they tell you to ring them.
8. They ring you back and hang up instead of dealing with your call to pretend you were not there even though you are in an open plan office with 6 colleagues who can see them doing this more than once.

In the end I reported them to two regulators and threaten them with court action due to wasting my time, before they apologised and backed down.

I have had a few minor problems with some other mobile operators however their customer service actually tried to deal with the issues instead of giving me the run around and threatening me.
I'm not cynical I'm realistic

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
# 20
dehaani
Old 22-12-2009, 9:42 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

I used to sell mobile broadband contracts in Currys, 3 was our biggest earner and had the most prominent deals so admittedly was selling twice as many units as the other networks put together.

3 was also the biggest pain for us, the number of complaints and cancellations was ridiculous. I left Currys a year ago so things may have changed since then.

I'd estimate that we dealt with network service and coverage complaints for as many as 50% of our 3 sales, most of them within 14 days of the sale and invoking a cancellation. Of all the other networks, I can only recall two complaints and they were for technical glitches on T-Mobile's dongles. The T-Mobile complaints were resolved after a quick phone call to activate the equipment on the network.
Closed Thread