Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Queenie
    • 11th Aug 04, 11:23 AM
    Re: sole plate of iron (cleaning)
    • 11th Aug 04, 11:23 AM
    My mother taught me to rub a bar of soap over the plate while it's still warm, then to clean it off with a cloth.

Works for me
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 11th Aug 04, 3:22 PM
    • 4,320 Posts
    • 20,503 Thanks
    VickyA
    • 11th Aug 04, 3:22 PM
    • 11th Aug 04, 3:22 PM
    Thanks to both of you. I was just about to ask this question!

• cathy
    • 11th Aug 04, 4:52 PM
    • 11th Aug 04, 4:52 PM
    your right about the soap, I remember my gran doing it with the old flat iron!!! ;D
    • 12th Aug 04, 2:14 PM
    • 12th Aug 04, 2:14 PM
    my gran also swore by rubbing a bit of petrolium jelly round the steam holes to stop rust, then giving it a good wipe before ironing
  • MattieT
    • 8th Oct 04, 2:17 PM
    Sorry to be lazy but....... (iron sole plates)
    • 8th Oct 04, 2:17 PM
    what's the best way to clean an iron sole plate please???
    • 8th Oct 04, 2:18 PM
    Re: Sorry to be lazy but....... (iron sole plates)
    • 8th Oct 04, 2:18 PM
    whilst its just warm, rub with damp green scoury thing. (flat green ones.) works wonders.
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 12th Apr 05, 4:37 PM
    • 3,623 Posts
    • 18,122 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    • 12th Apr 05, 4:37 PM
    Dirty iron
    • 12th Apr 05, 4:37 PM
    Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help, I purchased a new Hinari iron about 4 weeks ago. About a week ago I noticed what appeared to be a brown patch on the plate on the iron.

When the iron is cold and I rub my finger on it, it doesn't feel as if anything is there and I have got a scourer and tried to scrub it and nothing happens.

When the iron was hot this morning I could run my nail on it and it had gone quite soft but not sticky, I managed to scrape some off but when I got a normal wet dishcloth it didn't do any good. (I know it was a silly thing to do to touch a hot iron but I was slightly peeved this morning)

In my house we only iron jeans and shirts for work so I'm sure it hasn't come off a transfer on a top.

When I iron no marks appear on my clothes except when I do the cuffs and then it leaves a black mark which can be wiped but not all the mark disappears.

Any ideas of how to get this mark off?

Thanks
    • Downsizing _for_sanity
    • By Downsizing _for_sanity 12th Apr 05, 5:01 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,434 Thanks
    Downsizing _for_sanity
    • 12th Apr 05, 5:01 PM
    • 12th Apr 05, 5:01 PM
    Hi EE,

If you have a John Lewis store or similar close to you, you can buy an iron cleaning stick. It's about the size of a lipstick and you warm the iron up, (not hot though) and rub on the waxy stick which melts off the debris on the iron. It only costs a couple of pounds and make the iron like new. I've used mine a few times and I've still got plenty left.

Good luck!

DFS
  • Queenie
    A real "old fashioned" money saving manner of cleaning the iron plate is this:

take a bar of soap and while the iron is hot (but turned off!) , rub it all over the iron plate. It will stink, but let it cool a bit - not all the way to cold - and then rub it with a cloth. A scourer risks scratching the iron plate and might then snag on other clothing in the future.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • MrsMondragon
    Dirty Iron
    Put some salt on a thick piece of card. Heat the iron till very hot. Now rub the iron in the salt. That should removed the mark. Cheap and easy!
    • Nile
    • By Nile 13th Apr 05, 1:27 PM
    • 14,069 Posts
    • 13,941 Thanks
    Nile
    A similar idea to the one Queenie posted is to use a small bar of beeswax polish.

Wrap the bar in a cotton handkerchief then wipe the wrapped bar all over the warm/hot iron hotplate. To remove the wax/staining and clean the iron, simply iron an old piece of cloth. The cloth will collect the wax and stains and the hotplate will be left shiny and clean.

An added bonus is that your ironing is made easier........your iron will glide over the garments instead of sticking.

I used to work in a research & development laundry care laboratory so remember lots of laundry tips.
    Last edited by Nile; 13-04-2005 at 1:31 PM.
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Lillibet
    Not sure about cleaning the iron but I wanted to say welcome to Old Style to Eager Elephant, I recognize you from another forum I breifly used to post on & you were always a voice of sanity
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
    • toozie
    • By toozie 14th Apr 05, 7:39 AM
    • 3,218 Posts
    • 5,897 Thanks
    toozie
    Another Iron Problem
    Hi

Got another problem, hope someone can help!
    My steam iron is about 3 years old, its a good make-can't remember which one at the moment. It has started to drop dirty water when its steaming. Its only blobs, but it always happens when I'm ironing the kids WHITE school shirts, a white Tshirts!!
    I've drained all the water out of it, and used it with the steam on to try and dry out the inside, but when I put water back in, the same thing happens. The base of the iron is perfectly clean. The brown water/dirt in inside the iron.

I'm not money saving very well, if I have to wash my whites twice!! Any ideas girls???

Thanks in advance.
  • Queenie
    Sounds like it needs descaling toozie.

I descale mine in the same way as I descale my kettle - I add a solution of water and white vinegar (just a Tbsp of vin) while the iron is hot (in the usual steam water chamber) but the iron is turned off.

I leave that to 'stand' for roughly an hour, pour the solution out into a jug. If the holes are blocked on your iron plate. Repeat the above, but this time, place the iron plate side down on a wire rack (I use my grill pan rack) and then let the hot steamy solution work it's way out of the holes.

HTH
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • moggins
    I agree with Queenie, definitely sounds like a descale is in order.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Daisy
    I've got the same problem as toozie only my iron is 10 years old. I have done the white vinegar descaling thing. I had to do it about 3 times until the water/steam ran clear. However, it still has what looks like brown grainy bits in the holes and when I iron it now has a burny smell. I've also used a cotton wool bud and lemon juice to poke in the holes. Thinking of just buying a new iron but I love this iron because it's a really good one. Any suggestions?
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 14th Apr 05, 8:04 PM
    • 3,623 Posts
    • 18,122 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

I have tried the soap idea and it hasn't worked - I've probably done something wrong, I'll list what I did and then you can all let me know where I went wrong:

I went to Tesco and bought some Magnolia soap (we don't use soap in our house), I turned the iron on and let it get hot, then I turned it off and rubbed soap over the marks. However it didn't smell at all and I waited til it went cold and rubbed the soap off with a cloth.

The brown marks have gone but what is left is some clear marks (if you can imagine sticking a sticker on a lunchbox and when you peel it off you get left with some tack) - that is what part of the plate of my iron looks like but it isn't sticky!!

Any more ideas?

Sorry about this
  • blue-kat
    help! messed up iron with no-sew hem bondaweb
    I've been using no sew hem stuff to make a patch, and inadvertanly got the left over bit stuck to the bottom of my iron

I've got most of it off , but it's still sticky any tips for cleaning the ironing plate?

thanks
    -
    Katya
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 14th Jan 06, 9:29 PM
    • 9,716 Posts
    • 14,974 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    You could try heating the iron up until it is really hot, then running it over a damp flannel.

You need to re-melt the sticky stuff, and this might just be worth a try.
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,149Posts Today

7,687Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • MSE weekly email: Soap&Glory, Urgent 2YR cheap energy, free Tesco pts, cheap Easyjet, free TSB £100, £52 Ray-Bans https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's twitter poll: Is it acceptable to use bad grammar in tweets in order to reduce character length?

• RT @danny_murphoo: @MartinSLewis Just switched to Flow energy. Saving £340 a year!! So easy, thanks a million!!

• Follow Martin