Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > sole plate of iron (cleaning) (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
sole plate of iron (cleaning)
Views: 190,682
# 1
cathy
Old 10-08-2004, 7:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default sole plate of iron (cleaning)

dont buy !a new iron
just !rub the sole plate with a mixture of vinegar and salt.
;D ;D ;D
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cathy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Queenie
Old 11-08-2004, 11:23 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Re: sole plate of iron (cleaning)

My mother taught me to rub a bar of soap over the plate while it's still warm, then to clean it off with a cloth.

Works for me
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Queenie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
VickyA
Old 11-08-2004, 3:22 PM

Thanks to both of you. I was just about to ask this question!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VickyA For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
cathy
Old 11-08-2004, 4:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

your right about the soap, I remember my gran doing it with the old flat iron!!! ;D
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cathy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Old 12-08-2004, 2:14 PM

my gran also swore by rubbing a bit of petrolium jelly round the steam holes to stop rust, then giving it a good wipe before ironing
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 16011996 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
MattieT
Old 08-10-2004, 2:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Sorry to be lazy but....... (iron sole plates)

what's the best way to clean an iron sole plate please???
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattieT For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Old 08-10-2004, 2:18 PM

Default Re: Sorry to be lazy but....... (iron sole plates)

whilst its just warm, rub with damp green scoury thing. (flat green ones.) works wonders.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 16011996 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Eager_Elephant
Old 12-04-2005, 4:37 PM

Default Dirty iron

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help, I purchased a new Hinari iron about 4 weeks ago. About a week ago I noticed what appeared to be a brown patch on the plate on the iron.

When the iron is cold and I rub my finger on it, it doesn't feel as if anything is there and I have got a scourer and tried to scrub it and nothing happens.

When the iron was hot this morning I could run my nail on it and it had gone quite soft but not sticky, I managed to scrape some off but when I got a normal wet dishcloth it didn't do any good. (I know it was a silly thing to do to touch a hot iron but I was slightly peeved this morning)

In my house we only iron jeans and shirts for work so I'm sure it hasn't come off a transfer on a top.

When I iron no marks appear on my clothes except when I do the cuffs and then it leaves a black mark which can be wiped but not all the mark disappears.

Any ideas of how to get this mark off?

Thanks
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eager_Elephant For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Downsizing _for_sanity
Old 12-04-2005, 5:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi EE,

If you have a John Lewis store or similar close to you, you can buy an iron cleaning stick. It's about the size of a lipstick and you warm the iron up, (not hot though) and rub on the waxy stick which melts off the debris on the iron. It only costs a couple of pounds and make the iron like new. I've used mine a few times and I've still got plenty left.

Good luck!

DFS
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Downsizing _for_sanity For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Queenie
Old 12-04-2005, 6:05 PM

A real "old fashioned" money saving manner of cleaning the iron plate is this:

take a bar of soap and while the iron is hot (but turned off!) , rub it all over the iron plate. It will stink, but let it cool a bit - not all the way to cold - and then rub it with a cloth. A scourer risks scratching the iron plate and might then snag on other clothing in the future.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Queenie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
MrsMondragon
Old 12-04-2005, 7:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Smile Dirty Iron

Put some salt on a thick piece of card. Heat the iron till very hot. Now rub the iron in the salt. That should removed the mark. Cheap and easy!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrsMondragon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Nile
Old 13-04-2005, 1:27 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

A similar idea to the one Queenie posted is to use a small bar of beeswax polish.

Wrap the bar in a cotton handkerchief then wipe the wrapped bar all over the warm/hot iron hotplate. To remove the wax/staining and clean the iron, simply iron an old piece of cloth. The cloth will collect the wax and stains and the hotplate will be left shiny and clean.

An added bonus is that your ironing is made easier........your iron will glide over the garments instead of sticking.

I used to work in a research & development laundry care laboratory so remember lots of laundry tips.
Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Watch the New to Forum? Guide

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.

Last edited by Nile; 13-04-2005 at 1:31 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nile For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Lillibet
Old 13-04-2005, 1:53 PM

Smile

Not sure about cleaning the iron but I wanted to say welcome to Old Style to Eager Elephant, I recognize you from another forum I breifly used to post on & you were always a voice of sanity
Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lillibet For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
toozie
Old 14-04-2005, 7:39 AM

Post Another Iron Problem

Hi

Got another problem, hope someone can help!
My steam iron is about 3 years old, its a good make-can't remember which one at the moment. It has started to drop dirty water when its steaming. Its only blobs, but it always happens when I'm ironing the kids WHITE school shirts, a white Tshirts!!
I've drained all the water out of it, and used it with the steam on to try and dry out the inside, but when I put water back in, the same thing happens. The base of the iron is perfectly clean. The brown water/dirt in inside the iron.

I'm not money saving very well, if I have to wash my whites twice!! Any ideas girls???

Thanks in advance.
The Following User Says Thank You to toozie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Queenie
Old 14-04-2005, 7:56 AM

Sounds like it needs descaling toozie.

I descale mine in the same way as I descale my kettle - I add a solution of water and white vinegar (just a Tbsp of vin) while the iron is hot (in the usual steam water chamber) but the iron is turned off.

I leave that to 'stand' for roughly an hour, pour the solution out into a jug. If the holes are blocked on your iron plate. Repeat the above, but this time, place the iron plate side down on a wire rack (I use my grill pan rack) and then let the hot steamy solution work it's way out of the holes.

HTH
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Queenie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
moggins
Old 14-04-2005, 9:32 AM

I agree with Queenie, definitely sounds like a descale is in order.
Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moggins For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Daisy
Old 14-04-2005, 10:22 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I've got the same problem as toozie only my iron is 10 years old. I have done the white vinegar descaling thing. I had to do it about 3 times until the water/steam ran clear. However, it still has what looks like brown grainy bits in the holes and when I iron it now has a burny smell. I've also used a cotton wool bud and lemon juice to poke in the holes. Thinking of just buying a new iron but I love this iron because it's a really good one. Any suggestions?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daisy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Eager_Elephant
Old 14-04-2005, 8:04 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I have tried the soap idea and it hasn't worked - I've probably done something wrong, I'll list what I did and then you can all let me know where I went wrong:

I went to Tesco and bought some Magnolia soap (we don't use soap in our house), I turned the iron on and let it get hot, then I turned it off and rubbed soap over the marks. However it didn't smell at all and I waited til it went cold and rubbed the soap off with a cloth.

The brown marks have gone but what is left is some clear marks (if you can imagine sticking a sticker on a lunchbox and when you peel it off you get left with some tack) - that is what part of the plate of my iron looks like but it isn't sticky!!

Any more ideas?

Sorry about this
The Following User Says Thank You to Eager_Elephant For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
blue-kat
Old 14-01-2006, 9:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default help! messed up iron with no-sew hem bondaweb

I've been using no sew hem stuff to make a patch, and inadvertanly got the left over bit stuck to the bottom of my iron

I've got most of it off , but it's still sticky any tips for cleaning the ironing plate?

thanks
-
Katya
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blue-kat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Bogof_Babe
Old 14-01-2006, 9:29 PM

You could try heating the iron up until it is really hot, then running it over a damp flannel.

You need to re-melt the sticky stuff, and this might just be worth a try.
I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogof_Babe For This Useful Post: Show me >>