Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • alwaysonthego
    • By alwaysonthego 26th Oct 09, 5:31 PM
    • 7,912 Posts
    • 10,748 Thanks
    alwaysonthego
    • 26th Oct 09, 5:31 PM
    • 26th Oct 09, 5:31 PM
    I think that you need to be comfortable and smart.

Go for your trade mark stripey shirt and skin-tight trousers.

Good luck!!!!
    • ScarletBea
    • By ScarletBea 26th Oct 09, 5:36 PM
    • 2,710 Posts
    • 3,879 Thanks
    ScarletBea
    • 26th Oct 09, 5:36 PM
    • 26th Oct 09, 5:36 PM
    Smart shirt and smart trousers, and good luck
    Being brave is going after your dreams head on
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 26th Oct 09, 7:29 PM
    • 6,990 Posts
    • 5,001 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 26th Oct 09, 7:29 PM
    • 26th Oct 09, 7:29 PM
    No jeans! You want them to take you seriously. Give the hell from us
  • meher
    • 26th Oct 09, 8:04 PM
    • 26th Oct 09, 8:04 PM
    this is just my kind of thread

Suit or one of those jackets, but no pinstripes please if it is ok to say so - whenever I see someone with stripe suit he looks like a car salesman to me. Could be because each time we bought a car I've been served by someone wearing pinstriped suit. You know me. I look.

I'm very shallow I shamelessly confess, a nice belt and shoes and a good jacket - well-fitting shirt and nice slacks which are of any color but black, not wool though, that's for ancient men. If it's ok to suggest no need for tie - wearing suit, black and a tie would be uberhip I feel. I'd find this as a business meeting and not a political meeting, so you're allowed to be fashionable.

My husband has this policy, if he's going for a meeting to get something sorted for himself, then he would be formal and go by the conventions even if it means feeling a bit dressed up, but when they want something from him then he'll keep it all less complicated and leave it with those who go to meet him to worry about it.

good luck
  • Errata
    • 26th Oct 09, 9:09 PM
    • 26th Oct 09, 9:09 PM
    You could always give this outfit another outing

.....................I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...
    • jeanmd
    • By jeanmd 26th Oct 09, 10:07 PM
    • 2,149 Posts
    • 23,614 Thanks
    jeanmd
    • 26th Oct 09, 10:07 PM
    • 26th Oct 09, 10:07 PM
    Sorry Martin, it has to be a suit, shirt and tie with nicely polished shoes. Please give the jeans a rest, they look like they need a good iron and you need to be taken seriously
    Thank you to everyone who contributes to mse.

"Discipline is just choosing between what you want now and what you want most" - Unknown Author, but very MSE
    My 52 wk £1,378 challenge: @ £1,138
    • JDPower
    • By JDPower 27th Oct 09, 3:52 AM
    • 1,527 Posts
    • 1,462 Thanks
    JDPower
    • 27th Oct 09, 3:52 AM
    • 27th Oct 09, 3:52 AM
    I'm with you on this one Martin, go for the halfway house shirt and trousers.
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 27th Oct 09, 8:05 AM
    • 8,093 Posts
    • 42,219 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 27th Oct 09, 8:05 AM
    • 27th Oct 09, 8:05 AM
    Im sitting at GMTV - got a dark purple shirt on - and am wearing dark pinstriped trousers (no jeans) and smart shoes. Think the half way house works.

I never wear suits barring weddings - i think its important i dont dress 'financial' in my job role - so didnt want to feel false by doing so.

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • bylromarha
    • By bylromarha 27th Oct 09, 8:39 AM
    • 9,873 Posts
    • 13,152 Thanks
    bylromarha
    Why not do what us girlies just have to do sometimes and get changed in the cab over?

At least you won't have the juddering cab while you're trying to do your lippy or, heaven forbid, mascara...or maybe you're a Joey Tribianni type who uses lip gloss...now there's a thought!
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
    • facingthefuture
    • By facingthefuture 27th Oct 09, 9:55 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    facingthefuture
    A tee shirt with "credit card rates are extortion"
    and "we saved the bankers so they could extort us with credit card rates"

Honestly Martin, you know it's the ever increasing rates which stop many moneysavers from ever getting out of debt. They need to be capped at something fair - eg bank base rate plus 3% tops!!!!

If you want to wear a suit what about getting the message on a badge buttoned on? Use the media attention....as you are good at.

Go Martin!!!!!
    • Richard019
    • By Richard019 28th Oct 09, 4:00 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    Richard019
    Bit late now I know, but surely there's a dressing room or green room at GMTV where you leave your coat normally. Wouldn't the thing to do be to wear your suit trousers and shirt on GMTV and then collect your suit jacket and tie from that area on the way out?
    I never wear suits barring weddings - i think its important i dont dress 'financial' in my job role
    Originally posted by MSE Martin
    only financial people wear suits?
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 28th Oct 09, 4:24 PM
    • 8,093 Posts
    • 42,219 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    only financial people wear suits?
    Originally posted by 456789
    No but i dont want to look like a bank manager
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • alwaysonthego
    • By alwaysonthego 28th Oct 09, 5:26 PM
    • 7,912 Posts
    • 10,748 Thanks
    alwaysonthego
    No but i dont want to look like a bank manager
    Originally posted by MSE Martin
    A latex body suit could have been more apt, at least you would not look like a bank manager then
  • BruceyBonus
    Never mind what Martin should wear, more like what spelling he should be teaching someone in the government. The "85 page written evidence" that Martin links to states "Monaysupermarket.com" on page 2!!

Education, education, education for our government please!
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 30th Oct 09, 12:47 PM
    • 11,496 Posts
    • 219,538 Thanks
    mattytun
    You Could Put On Something Like This...
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 31st Oct 09, 8:45 PM
    • 21,349 Posts
    • 52,760 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    Please tell me you didn't wear the awful leather jacket ..............
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some little boy
  • BruceyBonus
    You can watch the meeting online: http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Player.aspx?meetingId=4918
    • JDPower
    • By JDPower 1st Nov 09, 1:44 AM
    • 1,527 Posts
    • 1,462 Thanks
    JDPower
    Originally posted by BruceyBonus
    Thanks, interesting (if a little long!) viewing
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

245Posts Today

1,151Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @hugorifkind: Arguing that Hitler was a Zionist is like arguing that the slave trade was pro-immigration. Get a grip.

• RT @MoneySavingExp: Morning! In this week's email: Loads of ways to save inc. Urgent Sky £30/mth, M&S 50%, £36off Tesco & Hotpoint wins: ht?

• RT @GMB: Fancy coming on GMB to learn how to save loads on your car insurance with @MartinSLewis? Find out more: https://t.co/B9vQfOliPA

• Follow Martin