Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Austin Allegro
    DIY shoe repair
    • 2nd Feb 05, 12:36 PM
    DIY shoe repair 2nd Feb 05 at 12:36 PM
    I'm pretty sure I recall my grandfather saying that back in the day he repaired all his family's shoes rather than pay a cobbler to do it.

Now I know a good cobbler is a valuable resource, and I do use them for things like putting new leather soles on, but you can do a fair few shoe repairs yourself:

Resoling and heeling - these can be done with kits from Woolworth's that cost about 3-4 including glue. I have even fixed shoes that cobblers said were beyond repair using these kits. They are also great for putting on new leather soles to make them last longer. Make sure you wear the shoes for a few days first however to sufficiently roughen up the soles.

Internal repairs. Keep odd bits of leather from things like old wallets, purses, that you're throwing out. You can glue these to patch up worn areas inside the shoes, esp the bit of lining at the heel that always seems to go.

Make polish go a long way. You can get polish cheaply from pound shops and you only need to use a TINY amount for a good shine - I learned this at school in the army cadet corps. If you use more than about the diameter of a five pence piece then most of it gets wasted on the duster.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,053Posts Today

6,813Users online

Martin's Twitter