Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 25th Nov 08, 3:16 PM
    • 8,109Posts
    • 42,244Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    Airline Charges Rip Off Discussion
    • 25th Nov 08, 3:16 PM
    0 WOW
    Airline Charges Rip Off Discussion 25th Nov 08 at 3:16 PM
    05 August 09

The Budget Airline Charges Quiz...

How much could a £1 each way flight cost?

Budget airlines' supposed 'extra' charges are nearly obscene. This week we've a new guide (see below) to beat them, inc anonymous tips from an Easyjet air steward. To prove the point...

Quick Quiz. How much could a £1 flight cost?

A family of three get Ryanair £1 each way return tickets to Europe. If they were to pay on a debit card, take a suitcase each (not pre-booked) and need to get boarding cards at the airport, guesstimate the total 'additional' charges.

THE ANSWER IS IN THE BLANK SPACE BELOW

Spoiler (highlight below to view):

The answer...

The actual total is a shocking £396, that's £6 return for flights and £390 for ‘added-extras’. This includes £10 return each for debit card payment (£30 total), £40 return (£120) per suitcase, and forget to pre-print your boarding card it's £80 return (£240).

The system’s a farce...

Airlines are playing fast and loose. While the example above is extreme, the injustice isn't about the cost, but that some charges which are practically compulstory are excluded from the headlined price. How can checking-in or 'paying by card' be an 'added' extra when it’s unavoidable.

It's time for legislation legislation that the advertised price MUST include paying and online check-in; other main extras like baggage should be listed alongside in the same font.

NOTE: This thread is to discuss the charges and how they're advertised.

For a full guide on avoiding charges see the Beat airline charges guide.
    For a full discussion on avoiding charges see the Beat airline charges discussion.

Update From Martin 5 August 2009

Just a few words in response to the discussion below - some of which supports this viewpoint, others don't.

The communication of the extras by budget airlines is inappropriate and must be changed. Its interesting to read the reaction here - and makes me smile to an extent. In the past we've had a few "berating" posts for calling Ryanair £1 flights a pound (even though we always explained there are extras) - here there's a few saying the opposite.

I make no apology for calling for payment and checking in to be inclusive costs. It's interesting to note the main posts objecting to this stance are early in the thread, before the weekly email was sent. They tend to come from regular users of the board, who I would assume are mostly seasoned travellers and MoneySavers.

Yet for me this misses the point, clearly those who know what they're doing will be fine. The same can be said in many walks of life. Yet read down some of the comments - clearly others do find it difficult and we are constantly contacted by people heavily caught out by these.

For me saying "its beatable if you jump through all the hurdles and no what you're doing" is no justification for the way these charges are advertised and presented.

The airlines deliberate use of the electron card to claim paying is free is a farce, its a deliberate gemming of the system to enable them to headline cheaper prices.

Of course there are ways round it - and indeed that's what the entire new guide that prompted this note is about. Yet the above is important, it highlights what can happen if things aren't done exactly right, to ensure people know how careful they need be. Though i've taken on board some comments and tweaked the phrasing slightly.

The fact one airline charges £10 no matter how you pay and airline charges every time you check in online (barring £1 sales) yet these don't form part of the advertised price - doesn't seem right to me. It's inconsisentent, confusing, unfair and shouldn't be allowed.

So I believe the point is plain (or plane), if you book a flight, paying by debit card, and checking in online that should be in the main price advertised. The other prominent 'extras' such as baggage should have their prices displayed prominently. .

Martin

PS. If you see reference to MSE Archna below, that's because riginally for convenience this was copied from the weekly email by MSE Archna, though its my words, name as we were working on the weekly e-mail - now that's been corrected).

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 05-08-2009 at 11:32 AM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • lufcgirl
    • By lufcgirl 4th Aug 09, 9:43 PM
    • 1,826 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    lufcgirl
    • 4th Aug 09, 9:43 PM
    • 4th Aug 09, 9:43 PM
    The only way this family would pay £80 each return for airport check in is if they don't print off their boarding cards when they get to the airport. So thats £240 for their own lack of common sense!

As for luggage, they need to think, do we really need 10kg of hand luggage and 15kg of hold luggage each? And it's £20 return rather than £40 as stated in the OP. Most families can get away with the hand luggage only.

Paying by debit card has a simple solution. The first time I ever used Ryanair (Jan this year) I booked using Maestro. Before booking I looked at every card type to see the surcharge, found there wasn't one for Visa Electron and that day got a new account with Halifax. Or sign up to entropay for a virtual Visa Electron card. Easy peasy!

People who say Ryanair is a rip off with charges just don't know how to play Ryanair by the rules. I've had many a £2/£4/£10 return with them with no extra charges at all.
  • dmg24
    • 4th Aug 09, 9:49 PM
    • 4th Aug 09, 9:49 PM
    The Budget Airline Charges Quiz...

How much does a £1 each way flight cost?
    Originally posted by MSE Archna
    To anyone that actually reads what they are agreeing to, the answer is £1.

Are we ever going to get an end to this sensationalist journalism? :rolleyes:
    • alanrowell
    • By alanrowell 4th Aug 09, 9:55 PM
    • 5,266 Posts
    • 2,017 Thanks
    alanrowell
    • 4th Aug 09, 9:55 PM
    • 4th Aug 09, 9:55 PM
    1st law - if an OP has the words "rip off" in the title then it isn't.
    • wannaberichbtch
    • By wannaberichbtch 4th Aug 09, 10:01 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    wannaberichbtch
    • 4th Aug 09, 10:01 PM
    • 4th Aug 09, 10:01 PM
    If they take the trouble to read the T&C's yes they can easily do it for £1.00, if they can't be bothered, considerably more, but they will be made completely aware of the total cost before commitment to payment.
  • dmg24
    • 4th Aug 09, 10:02 PM
    • 4th Aug 09, 10:02 PM
    1st law - if an OP has the words "rip off" in the title then it isn't.
    Originally posted by alanrowell
    Thought I'd leave those words for you!
    • lufcgirl
    • By lufcgirl 4th Aug 09, 10:03 PM
    • 1,826 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    lufcgirl
    • 4th Aug 09, 10:03 PM
    • 4th Aug 09, 10:03 PM
    If they take the trouble to read the T&C's yes they can easily do it for £1.00, if they can't be bothered, considerably more, but they will be made completely aware of the total cost before commitment to payment.
    Originally posted by wannaberichbtch
    And it's broken down at each stage to make it so that you know where your money is going.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 4th Aug 09, 10:05 PM
    • 18,197 Posts
    • 7,490 Thanks
    richardw
    • 4th Aug 09, 10:05 PM
    • 4th Aug 09, 10:05 PM
    BUT you can rip off ryanair, but not by much.
    £1 flights from your destination back to the UK are also priced in local currencies.
    Five of us are going on a weekend trip to Basel in Switzerland, local currency CHF, in Sterling the return price for 5 is £5, in swiss francs the price for 5 is CHF5 equal to £3 and with a £1.50 electron card, total cost is £4.50, so by booking for 5 people in Swiss Francs I saved 50p.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 4th Aug 09, 10:08 PM
    • 30,093 Posts
    • 19,049 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 4th Aug 09, 10:08 PM
    • 4th Aug 09, 10:08 PM
    The only way this family would pay £80 each return for airport check in is if they don't print off their boarding cards when they get to the airport. So thats £240 for their own lack of common sense!

As for luggage, they need to think, do we really need 10kg of hand luggage and 15kg of hold luggage each? And it's £20 return rather than £40 as stated in the OP. Most families can get away with the hand luggage only.

Paying by debit card has a simple solution. The first time I ever used Ryanair (Jan this year) I booked using Maestro. Before booking I looked at every card type to see the surcharge, found there wasn't one for Visa Electron and that day got a new account with Halifax. Or sign up to entropay for a virtual Visa Electron card. Easy peasy!

People who say Ryanair is a rip off with charges just don't know how to play Ryanair by the rules. I've had many a £2/£4/£10 return with them with no extra charges at all.
    Originally posted by lufcgirl
    regarding the baggage, people just need to be more stringent on what they take, be practical, i hate travellers who take alot of clothes and then dont wear half of them,
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 4th Aug 09, 10:11 PM
    • 30,093 Posts
    • 19,049 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Originally posted by wannaberichbtch
    except there are people who would claim they didnt see the t&c's linked to or they read them but they didnt take note
    • wannaberichbtch
    • By wannaberichbtch 4th Aug 09, 10:11 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    wannaberichbtch
    Also see the Make Money From Ryanair thread i.e pay in euros and ask for change in Sterling. They could end up paying you to travel!
    • wannaberichbtch
    • By wannaberichbtch 4th Aug 09, 10:14 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    wannaberichbtch
    except there are people who would claim they didnt see the t&c's linked to or they read them but they didnt take note
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    Perhaps they should get a responsible adult to book for them.
  • iwanttosave
    I'm aware of all the charges they whack on, and even got an electron to combat them, but I'm still worried to use them because knowing my luck I'll mess up somewhere and end up getting stung.

I don't mind them adding on charges but I think they should be made to show the actual price.
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching

Save the cheerleader, save the world!
    • lufcgirl
    • By lufcgirl 4th Aug 09, 10:16 PM
    • 1,826 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    lufcgirl
    I'm aware of all the charges they whack on, and even got an electron to combat them, but I'm still worried to use them because knowing my luck I'll mess up somewhere and end up getting stung.

I don't mind them adding on charges but I think they should be made to show the actual price.
    Originally posted by iwanttosave
    They do show the actual price, right at the end just as you pay. Thats everything you've chosen, and you can go back and edit it of course.
  • dmg24

They do show the actual price. You just need to read what is on the screen, and not make assumptions.

(I keep crossposting tonight - jetlag slowing me down!)
    • lufcgirl
    • By lufcgirl 4th Aug 09, 10:18 PM
    • 1,826 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    lufcgirl
    They do show the actual price. You just need to read what is on the screen, and not make assumptions.

(I keep crossposting tonight - jetlag slowing me down!)
    Originally posted by dmg24

lol...great minds...
    • richardw
    • By richardw 4th Aug 09, 10:23 PM
    • 18,197 Posts
    • 7,490 Thanks
    richardw
    Another way to make sure you don't make mistakes is to do the booking with another person sat with you at the computer.
    Pen, paper and calculator also helps to write down as you go a running total of the cost.
  • iwanttosave
    They do show the actual price, right at the end just as you pay. Thats everything you've chosen, and you can go back and edit it of course.
    Originally posted by lufcgirl
    I mean on the front page, not the last one.
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching

Save the cheerleader, save the world!
    • wannaberichbtch
    • By wannaberichbtch 4th Aug 09, 10:29 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    wannaberichbtch
    I wouldn't consider myself to be a genius, but have booked many flights with Ryanair & Easyjet, and even foreign budget airlines, not needed anyone to hold my hand, and been happy that I've got a very good deal.
  • dmg24
    I mean on the front page, not the last one.
    So you think they should state the price for each possible price combination on the front page? :confused:
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,254Posts Today

8,901Users online

Martin's Twitter