Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 26th May 06, 5:18 PM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    0 WOW
    Haggle Down Your Holiday Costs Discussion Area
    • 26th May 06, 5:18 PM
    0 WOW
    Haggle Down Your Holiday Costs Discussion Area 26th May 06 at 5:18 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

To discuss or ask a question about the article: click reply

This thread is now full, please read the new Holiday haggle success thread
    Last edited by MSE Jenny; 15-07-2008 at 3:59 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 1
    • eilz
    • By eilz 1st Jun 06, 11:27 AM
    • 344 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    eilz
    • 1st Jun 06, 11:27 AM
    • 1st Jun 06, 11:27 AM
    Some package deals also charge for food on plane and transportation from airport to hotel (Take a train or hire a car). These can usually be deducted when booking if you ask sometimes saving as much as £25 each or more. I did this a while back on a trip to spain.
  • diddydi
    • 2nd Jun 06, 7:34 PM
    • 2nd Jun 06, 7:34 PM
    Hi Martin see my rant on post 26 on Package Holidays or DIY.
    You are earning a salary so why try to deny me and all the other independents from doing the same in a profession in which I, and most considerably the others, have vast knowledge and expertise which can be passed on.
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 2nd Jun 06, 11:05 PM
    • 8,109 Posts
    • 42,243 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 2nd Jun 06, 11:05 PM
    • 2nd Jun 06, 11:05 PM
    You are earning a salary so why try to deny me and all the other independents from doing the same in a profession in which I, and most considerably the others, have vast knowledge and expertise which can be passed on.
    by diddydi
    Please keep this thread for discussing the savings on holidays. To debate what you're discussing there is a full thread here.

Please also ensure you read the end paragraph of the article, which specifically mentions the issue about independents before discussing there.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • richardw
    • By richardw 2nd Jun 06, 11:16 PM
    • 18,106 Posts
    • 7,437 Thanks
    richardw
    • 2nd Jun 06, 11:16 PM
    • 2nd Jun 06, 11:16 PM
    by diddydi
    He isn't, you have hundreds of loyal customers apparently, so there is demand for your service and they are watching Eastenders when the money saving man in the stripey shirts is going on about it, so no worries.
  • Lilywhite
    • 12th Jun 06, 9:05 PM
    Just booked a bargain
    • 12th Jun 06, 9:05 PM
    After reading Martin's article I went about booking my summer holiday for the family.

I narrowed down what I was looking for and decided on the holiday I was after. A 2 week stay in Majorca for a family of 4. I got a price of the Thomson's website and phoned round a few places quoted and soon got the price down.

I also got TRAVELMAN's details off this site and as it turned out I booked with him. He offered a massive discount off the Thomson's price and I am really, really happy with the price but I also want to make the point it was not the cheapest. I was happy to pay £25 p.p extra for peace of mind to have the holiday ATOL protected. Also, the service I got was excellent after a short conversation TRAVELMAN came back quickly with options and went out of his way to help.

As far as I'm concerned I got the best of both worlds. I got the big discount I was looking for, peace of mind and a quality service. I will definitely use him again and would recommend anyone to. It is a lesson to me to get the discount you are looking but it is not always the only option to chase the absolute lowest price when it is such a big outlay.
  • Money Saver2
    • 30th Jul 06, 9:37 AM
    • 30th Jul 06, 9:37 AM
    I have used this technique several times with success. Recently we booked a holiday for a family of 4 to Florida. Initial quotes were in the region of £5000 - £6000 for chartered flights to Sanford, accommodation and car hire. By employing the technique Martin suggests we managed to get the final price down to just over £2000. This was for SCHEDULED flights direct into Orlando International, car hire and better accommodation.

For villa holidays in Florida it is a good idea to haggle over pool heating costs. Most agents will sell this as an extra at approximately £120 per week (even more in some cases) but if you haggle you can usually get if for free.
    • jazmad
    • By jazmad 23rd Aug 06, 1:15 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    jazmad
    • 23rd Aug 06, 1:15 PM
    My experience
    • 23rd Aug 06, 1:15 PM
    Just thought I'd share my experience.

My wife and I wanted to go on a two week holiday to St Martin in November. On Virgin's website, they claimed they didn't have any availability. On Expedia we could get two return flights on Air France plus accomodation for £2,288.

I called Virgin's booking line to see what they had to offer. They said they did have holiday's available (the web didn't search secondary carriers or something) and that the cost would be £2,588. I told them Expedia was cheaper and was there any way they could price match.

The woman on the phone said all she could do initially was give me a web discount (£130 off - remember to ask for this if booking via phone) but if I emailled details of the Expedia quote to their price match department, they may be able to offer me more. I did this and at the agreed time, their customer services person called me back to offer it for exactly the same price as Expedia. Since we felt Virgin was the better deal (we'd heard better things about VA over Air France, transfers were included, insurance of travel operator) we took it. A five-minute phone call which saved us £300.
  • linden
    • 11th Jan 07, 3:24 PM
    Package tours
    • 11th Jan 07, 3:24 PM
    I am single and when I go on holiday I want to relax in the privacy of my own room. Whenever I see last minute or cheaper deals advertised, they are always based on two people sharing. Hotels frequently offer special deals - again, per person sharing.
    Why don't hotels build more single rooms - most of theur business clients are just one person per room.
    I understand package holidays are proving harder to sell - why don't the companies wake up to the singles market - there are now millions of us.
    We have more disposable income; we are more flexible; it's always easier to find just one airline seat. These travel firms are wasting a huge financial opportunity.

Anyone else get angry at being excluded or exploited ?
  • arthurp8
    Having read the article I am intrigued to try and get some sort of discount. However since I am booking a firstchoice holiday including kids club am I still going to be able to haggle via independent agents? Or will they not sell First Choice deals?

Also thanks for the info regarding transfers eilz. The coaches are tedious - and two weeks car hire of around 200 GBP will be offset nicely by a 50GBP coach saving
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 11th Jan 07, 8:17 PM
    • 5,634 Posts
    • 3,609 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    Try pricing it up with http://www.eclipsedirect.co.uk/ This is the direct sell part of First Choice. Often the same hotels/flights etc, but cheaper.
  • bosschap
    Success or Failure You decide
    I booked a cruise with Thomsons in October 2006 to sail in August 2007. At the time I got around £450 off the price for booking early! A Deal?

In January I looked at another cruise with Thomsons on the internet. The price offered included upgrade to a fully inclusive drinks package for free. I rechecked my original booking dates and found this now included for free the same package for new bookings.

The drinks package for the 2 weeks criuse for 2 adults and a child was worth just under £1000. (Because of this price did not include it in the original booking)The overall price of the holiday was also nearly £100 cheaper.

I spoke to the Thomsons travel agent and in the finish I cancelled my earlier booking, losing my deposit of £390. I rebooked with the extras and after adding the £390 lossed deposit to the bill in theory get a saving of around £700.

Booking early does not always get the best deal.
  • shughesnerys
    Worked for me!!
    Just to advise to follow Martin's advice!! I have just saved myself over £600 on a holiday to Crete. I had no idea it would work, but I got three quotes from three advertisers on the Teletext ads and the Co-Op Travel came in at the best. I am so happy to have got all this money off!! Thanks Martin!
  • Vindiesel
    Hi all

not read Martins article, but I have been tailor mak,ing my break...thought hotelscomparisons.com was the best for cheap decent hotels, but actually- shock horror- travelsupermarket.com has provided MUCH better prices. Then, when combined with quidco, I have managed to save £70 off the best price, for two nights 5 star!
    brilliant! oh, and thanks to my partner too for suggesting TS

V
  • chatter-box-charlie
    Originally posted by diddydi
    I totaly agree..... and 15% is a little ambitious as the majority of operators dont give us that much commission to discount by. The only way you would get that much is if two or more operators were doing that hotel and there was a difference in the price. I myself check all operators for customers for the same hotel to get the best price for them.
    • paul2468
    • By paul2468 31st May 07, 8:07 AM
    • 834 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    paul2468
    Do you think that if i got a price on the web with thomsons...the local thomsons shop in our high street will beat it, and also if they did beat it could i go to the next town and try the same in thomsons there ?
  • walkswithmagic
    Yes i agree with linden!!
    More deals for singles, i haven't had a holiday in two years abroad as i refuse to pay the single suppliment and why should i?? couples don't!!
  • bullyyyyy
    holiday costs
    booked holiday last week to corfu using teletext way and price went from £680 in thomson small & friendly for one week s/c for 2 to £474 with no plane meals & own insurance with small & friendly and better flight times. so thanks martin this shows this way can work
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 31st May 07, 8:39 PM
    • 5,634 Posts
    • 3,609 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    Yes i agree with linden!!
    More deals for singles, i haven't had a holiday in two years abroad as i refuse to pay the single suppliment and why should i?? couples don't!!
    Originally posted by walkswithmagic
    er thats because couples arent single !

Why dont you just buy a flight and pick your own accom. That way you arent paying any supplements.

Singles are like families of 5 They get wacked too. You just have to get more creative when booking a holiday. Its no reason not to go one
  • Quinny
    We've just booked the Asena Village Hotel,in Hisaronu,Turkey,through On the Beach. (Top rated hotel on nearly all the online report sites like Tripadvisor etc.) The hotel is opertated by Medhotels,amongst others.

Quotes elsewhere,for our departure date of 2nd August,were well in excess of £2k,but we got it for £1734 for half board,with an evening flight going out at 19.30hrs,and a day flight coming back,arriving at 19.00hrs.

And here's the best thing:

It's from Teeside and not Manchester,where we usually fly from.Manchester came out about the same price,but with both flights being night flights.

However,what you have to watch,is the fact that they give you an online price,which is not guaranteed until they ring you back up to 48 hours later,which includes a discount,but no inflight meals.However,if you ring them straight away,they give preference to phone calls when booking,and instead of the online discount,they give you meals on both flights,so it's swings and roundabouts really.

Finally,our price included the tranfsers to the resort,so bear in mind that any prices you see on any online site,may not include all the extras that we all used to get when booking a holiday.If in doubt,ask.

We also had quotes for a minibus/taxi to Teeside from Wakefield,and were quoted up to £200 for a return trip!!!!!! I have managed to find secure parking next to the airport,for £54 for the 2 weeks.Guess which one I'll be using?

And finally.

If you ring On the Beach,they use an 0870 number,but if you ring their sister company,Ibookholidays.com,they use an 0800 number.Guess which one we used!!!
    Last edited by Quinny; 01-06-2007 at 9:47 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

10Posts Today

3,375Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin