Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skiergirl
    • By Skiergirl 14th Nov 08, 5:05 PM
    • 994Posts
    • 9,072Thanks
    Skiergirl
    Making cards - Ideas for a card craft beginner (part 2)
    • 14th Nov 08, 5:05 PM
    Making cards - Ideas for a card craft beginner (part 2) 14th Nov 08 at 5:05 PM
    I was hoping someone on here could give me some advice. I'd like to try making cards but don't have any idea where to start. I've looked in a few craft shops and found the choice overwhelming.
    So.. am I best buying a kit to start with that has all the bits in, or if its better to buy the bits separately, what do I need ?
    Also.. is it worth buying any of the magazines ? I've seen a few but they're all sealed so its difficult to know if they're worth the money, and one is about £8 !
    Thanks for any help, sorry its a bit long.

*BOARD GUIDE INSERT - this thread is now a continuation of this original thread on making cards, it may be a good idea to look there first for advice*
    Last edited by savvy; 14-11-2008 at 5:51 PM.
Page 247
  • mary43
    Rusty - super lot of cards and thanks for the link..........lost myself for an hour browsing through that when I should have been doing something else.....................lol

flourgirl -what a cracking hamper..........she'll love it

1982 - brilliant cards

Just written a card I'd done for my mums friend and wished I'd looked at your lot for inspiration first.
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • hels102
    Rusty I'm really loving your cards, the images are fab!
    Flourgirl What a fab pink hamper!
    Here's a link to one of the cards I made this morning with my new paper Mania stash! http://helsbelswork.blogspot.com

And here is my best buy of the weekend, I love it, it's a really strong glue, it comes with a refill pack 69p!

Looking forward to December
  • furrypig
    Hi everyone!

thanks so much for putting links/sharing all your amazing ards on here I love seeing them all and sorry I haven't been on for a while so can't do individual thanks

Also wanted to welcome all the newbies, the more the merrier! Means I get more ideas and inspiration from the talented crafters here.

Thank you for setting the green challenge this week too will be working on that one.
  • furrypig
    Hels where did you get yout bargain glue runner from?? I love using these as it makes card making so quick but they can be quite expensive.
  • furrypig
    Forgot to ad my very belated entry for the water card challenge I think it would also double as a green card but will make another one for that!!

This was made for MIL's birthday as she likes frogs.

• hels102
    Awh Furrypig your frog card is fab! I think I'm going to buy a pack of the scalloped cards, they look lovely.

I picked the glue up from a shop called Buyology I'm not sure if it's a nationwide shop though, they also had sticky dots and double sided tape in dispensers all 69p, I think I'll go back and stock up, I'd be happy to pick some up for people if it's any use. x
    Looking forward to December
  • furrypig
    Awh Furrypig your frog card is fab! I think I'm going to buy a pack of the scalloped cards, they look lovely.

I picked the glue up from a shop called Buyology I'm not sure if it's a nationwide shop though, they also had sticky dots and double sided tape in dispensers all 69p, I think I'll go back and stock up, I'd be happy to pick some up for people if it's any use. x
    Originally posted by hels102
    Oh thanks Hels that is really sweet I was another one who succumbed to the scallop cards from www.craftworkcards.co.uk when I saw their stand at the nec as the quality and price are really good and have since ordered from them again.

I hae never heard of buyology before definitely a new one on me! Where are you in the country?? I have a theory that all the best bargain shops are not in the South East!! Certainly not many near me in Surrey!
  • JailhouseBabe
    Love your frog card furry
    If I remember rightly, the challenge usually ends on a Monday evening, so I'd say you're in time

I've managed to comment on a couple of blogs, so won't repeat myself here

So if furry is in time, then I'm probably early - but here's my entry for the 'Green' challenge:

I'm feeling sorry for myself with a really sore throat and a headache, so I went to my local docraft stockist and bought the Creativity magazine for the free stamps (one of which I've used on this card), and the DCWV papers that I've also used. The butterfly was embossed from a brass stencil onto pink vellum, and I've added some detail with a pink sakura souffle pen.
    some people grin and bear it, others smile and do it
  • furrypig
    that card is just beautiful jailhousebabe!! WOW!! I was gonna ask where the butterfly came from as it is so pretty and you made it! how hard was that?? If you can do that when you are unwell I am so impressed as it takes me a huge effort to do anything although it is beginning to get a bit better!!

I am tempted by the creativity mag as I suspect it is worth it for the stamps alone but I am trying to be really good with spending at the moment!! I don't have anywhere local that sells it either but seem to remember that someone posted a link to a free postage one here will have to go and see if I can find it now!!
  • JailhouseBabe
    Thanks furry

The butterfly really was easy to make. I actually embossed it a couple of weeks ago but couldn't decide what to do with it - I cut it out and added the souffle today. I actually bought an embossing stylus today, so hopefully the next one will be even better!

I'm more than happy to emboss a sheet of these if anyone wants them, but it won't be until after my exams!
    • Kim_Possible
    • By Kim_Possible 4th May 09, 5:50 PM
    • 842 Posts
    • 9,916 Thanks
    Kim_Possible
    Hi All great cards today.
    Im only at the basics but would love to learn how to emboss, can u buy sepetate template or would i need a cuttlebug for this?

This is a card made yesterday as an alternative to the baby grow suit card I already posted yest.

• JailhouseBabe
    A lovely card Kim
    How many of us have done the pram now, and I still love every one of them! I really like the glittery paper you've used.
  • JailhouseBabe
    wow fantastic blog candy offer hamish, I've added your link and pic to my blog!

jailhouse to add a pic to your sidebar, go to your blog dashboard and click Layout, then when you are on the page that says Add and arrange page elements, click Add a Gadget on the right hand side and in the pop up box select Picture. Then in the next box, add a Title and browse to the image which you'll have saved to your PC somewhere previously. Hope this helps but any more probs just shout and i'll do my best to assist

oh and just read your latest blog post...AFAIK you can only have one sidebar on your blog, either left or right, but if you want to change it you can click and drag the boxes around on the Add and Arrange page elements section
    Originally posted by Gemm85
    Thanks Gemma, I finally managed it! Expect to see a loooooong list of candy links
  • melissa75
    Kim_possible -lovely baby card. I really like the sparkly card too and the layering on the hood.
    Jailhousebabe - great challenge card. The butterfly is so pretty and I love the green flowers.
    Furrypig - I can't see your card - it says instead that the image has been moved or deleted????
    Hels - that is a good price for the tape runner - I think xyron is a decent make too!
    Apologies to everyone as I haven't caught up with everyone's blogs yet, I promise I will soon.
    • flourgirl
    • By flourgirl 4th May 09, 7:01 PM
    • 3,423 Posts
    • 44,884 Thanks
    flourgirl
    Furry Love your frog card and the sentiment Hoppy Birthday
    The water challenge doesn't end until tonight so you are well in time.

Hels102 WOW!! what a bargain, I'm sure the xyron runners are usually £2ish, I have never heard of Buyology shops, will be one to look out for.

Jailhouse Fab card for the new challenge. Beautiful butterfly. Everything co-ordinates perfectly

Kim gorgeous baby card and beautifully put together

I must go and have a look at doing the blog candy link, it looks an excellent prize
    • bunbun2
    • By bunbun2 4th May 09, 7:03 PM
    • 3,498 Posts
    • 28,814 Thanks
    bunbun2
    I hadn't realised I hadn't posted for so long...this could be a long post!

kim fab pram and romper suit cards - very clever
    jailhousebabe love the green card especially the butterfly - it is gorgeous and very clever the paper is so pretty too. love the CCC challenge and the vintage cards too
    hels wow 69p for double sided tape in a dispenser is fab. I use this all the time for my cards and it costs a fortune
    furry I can't see your card either - it says the picture has been deleted
    1982girl welcome back! fab cards on your blog - love the pram one
    flourgirl love the pink hamper. fab sketch card
    rusty fab cards - there is no stopping you now well done on your bingo win. have you managed to buy the card making kit? looking forward to seeing what you make with it. I love the musing melinda one the image goes really well with the papers.
    paddingtondoo I have the secret garden papers too. that was my first thought when rainmac mentioned the green challenge!
    rainmac how did you get on clearing out the garage? love your cross stitch it is gorgeous your mum will love it. am pleased that your mum only has 3 days of radiotherapy left. jailhouse babe I noticed some letters were missing but didn't register which ones - doh!
    saveapenny hope you are feeling better and your bruised ribs hurt less. your stork bundle is lovely - well done Harry is absolutely gorgeous. can't believe he is already a week old (although was prob one of the longest weeks of your life)
    eskimette welcome! love the cards on your blog I ordered the scrapbooks etc from QVC (this morning) as I plan to make a few for presents and thought it was a reasonable price. I hope it is as good as they make it sound! I ordered through Quidco so will get a bit back!
    the wife fab card - I love the effect you have created
    gemm fab water card - I love the idea very different
    hamish fab CCC challenge card - love the stamp I wish my colouring in looked as good as yours!
    dragonllew lovely 80th card. thanks for the link to craft beautiful - I have registerd. are you able to download the Paddington bear papers or do they only come with the magazine?
    shegrinch love the watering can card
  • Gemm85
    rusty - lovely card, I'm sure your gran will be so pleased

flourgirl - what a great hamper you've made, your friends daugher is very lucky

Kirakiro - your cards are gorgeous, don't worry if you think your blog is bare at the moment, its a great excuse to make loads more to post on there

Hels - great purple card, those mulberry papers look fab

Jailhouse, Fab green challenge card, I love how you've combined 2 of those wild blossom papers and layered them up Glad you've managed to add the candies to your sidebar, I will have to keep looking at your blog to see what candies I should enter lol

I got the creativity mag this month as well as those clear stamps look so useful, and the mag is only £2 which is a lot cheaper than some others out there.

Kim - your pram cars is beautiful, that blue glitter card looks so pretty, well done
  • dragonllew
    dragonllew lovely 80th card. thanks for the link to craft beautiful - I have registerd. are you able to download the Paddington bear papers or do they only come with the magazine?
    Originally posted by bunbun2
    Thanks you should be able to download them once you have registered if you have any problems pm me your email and I will send them to you.
    • Kim_Possible
    • By Kim_Possible 4th May 09, 7:12 PM
    • 842 Posts
    • 9,916 Thanks
    Kim_Possible
    Thanks, yes the pram was from the time for craft website. Ive made it b4 in pink, so it was a lot quicker made this time.
    I do not have a circle cutter, I was thinking of investing.... good idea or not?

I feel bad not mentioning specific cards but i love them all!!

Id looked at few craft magazine today but didnt know if any one is better than the others on sale??:confused: Some had free papers but where sealed so i couldnt see if i liked them enough to buy the mag!
    • bunbun2
    • By bunbun2 4th May 09, 7:14 PM
    • 3,498 Posts
    • 28,814 Thanks
    bunbun2
    Thanks you should be able to download them once you have registered if you have any problems pm me your email and I will send them to you.
    Originally posted by dragonllew
    thanks all I seem to get is the templates and some happy birthday borders!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,774Posts Today

7,550Users online

Martin's Twitter