Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • nzseries1
    • By nzseries1 27th Apr 09, 3:17 PM
    • 2,148 Posts
    • 1,851 Thanks
    nzseries1
    • 27th Apr 09, 3:17 PM
    • 27th Apr 09, 3:17 PM
    I like hearing stories of nice customer service!

I was in a central london bakery last week and after I ordered, I realised I had no cash. "Don't worry," the lady said, "you can just pay me tomorrow". I didn't realise such nice service still existed, let alone in central London!

bare in mind I wasn’t in a restaurant
    I hope you didn't bare yourself too much in the food court, Martin!
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
    • kingmonkey
    • By kingmonkey 27th Apr 09, 6:59 PM
    • 830 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    kingmonkey
    • 27th Apr 09, 6:59 PM
    • 27th Apr 09, 6:59 PM
    Izzit coz ur celebrity?
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 28th Apr 09, 10:29 AM
    • 8,093 Posts
    • 42,219 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 28th Apr 09, 10:29 AM
    • 28th Apr 09, 10:29 AM
    Izzit coz ur celebrity?
    Originally posted by kingmonkey

Im not sure I count as a celebrity, but if you're asking did he recognise me off the telly - no i dont think so.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • aliasojo
    • 28th Apr 09, 10:34 AM
    • 28th Apr 09, 10:34 AM
    It's nice to hear this kind of thing, especially these days.

It did occur to me though that once upon a time, this wouldn't have stood out as being anything other than normal good service and helpfulness by an employee.

Get me...I'm my Mum. :rolleyes:
    Herman - MP for all!
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 28th Apr 09, 12:51 PM
    • 11,392 Posts
    • 125,814 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    • 28th Apr 09, 12:51 PM
    • 28th Apr 09, 12:51 PM
    True, true, but when new places open these days, there is so much pressure on them to shine that they train their staff to very high standards; I was part of the team at the new Wembley Stadium and we did an Excellence in customer service course, for example. Still, it's very welcome in these dark days of surly "service" to have nice mannered people.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 28th Apr 09, 1:27 PM
    • 11,511 Posts
    • 219,627 Thanks
    mattytun
    • 28th Apr 09, 1:27 PM
    • 28th Apr 09, 1:27 PM
    Nice story it makes all the diffrence when you get good service like that
    • kingmonkey
    • By kingmonkey 28th Apr 09, 4:07 PM
    • 830 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    kingmonkey
    • 28th Apr 09, 4:07 PM
    • 28th Apr 09, 4:07 PM
    7 million unique visitors per month and you email 3.4 million people every week!

Population of UK is 61 million.

11% of population (including babies) know who you are.

You are soo celebrity!
    • hartcjhart
    • By hartcjhart 28th Apr 09, 7:23 PM
    • 8,548 Posts
    • 10,725 Thanks
    hartcjhart
    • 28th Apr 09, 7:23 PM
    • 28th Apr 09, 7:23 PM
    yes very good service indeed for this day and age,

love the expression 'clutz' not heard anyone use that for donkeys
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 29th Apr 09, 1:57 PM
    • 11,208 Posts
    • 10,951 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    It did occur to me though that once upon a time, this wouldn't have stood out as being anything other than normal good service and helpfulness by an employee.
    Originally posted by aliasojo
    But I think the point is that it wasn't, really, an employee. Martin didn't buy his food from the organisation who employs the assistant.
    • johnmc
    • By johnmc 30th Apr 09, 5:03 PM
    • 1,255 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    johnmc
    Perhaps his Mum taught him to be kind to his elders :rolleyes:

Sorry, Martin!
  • aliasojo
    But I think the point is that it wasn't, really, an employee. Martin didn't buy his food from the organisation who employs the assistant.
    Originally posted by JimmyTheWig
    "Nearby was one of the serving assistants who clear away the trays that people leave. I was a bit startled as he walked up to me straight away and offered to go and get me another knife.
    While not a big deal, bare in mind I wasn’t in a restaurant this was a shopping centre food court."

See your point, but we'll need to agree to differ on whether it's important or not.

People in this industry used to care enough to do this kind of thing as the norm. Imo. It wouldn't have mattered if technically their wage was being paid by the same people who provided the food or not. These days they're hard pushed to smile. Again, imo.
    Herman - MP for all!
  • mmalcolmm
    one negative one positive ballance
    Do you not think that everyone should be made to make as many positive comments like yours Martin as they do bad negative ones. So this would make it difficult for the grumps in society who like to argue with everone to carry on. Even they would feel better giving someone a compliment.

I like hearing stories of nice customer service!

I was in a central london bakery last week and after I ordered, I realised I had no cash. "Don't worry," the lady said, "you can just pay me tomorrow". I didn't realise such nice service still existed, let alone in central London!

I hope you didn't bare yourself too much in the food court, Martin!
    Originally posted by nzseries1
  • mmalcolmm
    One negitive one positive ballance!!

Do you not think that everyone should be made to make as many positive comments like yours Martin as they do bad negative ones. So this would make it difficult for the grumps in society who like to argue with everone to carry on.

Even they would feel better giving someone a compliment.

Sorry about the duplicate I'm new to this......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

38Posts Today

3,260Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Leicester win the DOUBLE... the Premier League and the World Snooker Championship. Everyone's a fox tonight!

• You do wonder if anyone has told Mark Selby yet... (the jester from leicester)

• RT @MCFC: Congratulations to @LCFC on winning the Barclays @premierleague title. Well deserved. #mcfc

• Follow Martin