Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • red devil
    • By red devil 14th Apr 09, 5:03 PM
    • 10,080Posts
    • 7,395Thanks
    red devil
    Can you work while on Jsa
    • 14th Apr 09, 5:03 PM
    Can you work while on Jsa 14th Apr 09 at 5:03 PM
    What work can you do while on JSA?

How does it affect it?
Page 1
    • alwaysonthego
    • By alwaysonthego 14th Apr 09, 5:26 PM
    • 7,912 Posts
    • 10,748 Thanks
    alwaysonthego
    • 14th Apr 09, 5:26 PM
    • 14th Apr 09, 5:26 PM
    Yes you can but you're only allowed to keep £5 of it, the rest gets deducted from your JSA £1 for £1.
    • Ms-Money-Penny
    • By Ms-Money-Penny 14th Apr 09, 6:56 PM
    • 1,592 Posts
    • 12,810 Thanks
    Ms-Money-Penny
    • 14th Apr 09, 6:56 PM
    • 14th Apr 09, 6:56 PM

How does it affect it?
    Originally posted by red devil

JSA = Job Seekers Allowance

If you're working then you're not exactly job seeking. And if you are working and claiming JSA then it's called Benefit Fraud.
    • mountainofdebt
    • By mountainofdebt 14th Apr 09, 7:07 PM
    • 7,427 Posts
    • 10,792 Thanks
    mountainofdebt
    • 14th Apr 09, 7:07 PM
    • 14th Apr 09, 7:07 PM
    JSA = Job Seekers Allowance

If you're working then you're not exactly job seeking. And if you are working and claiming JSA then it's called Benefit Fraud.
    Originally posted by Ms-Money-Penny
    Not exactly true ....you're allowed to work 16 hrs or less and still claim JSA..
  • generaloneill
    • 14th Apr 09, 7:08 PM
    • 14th Apr 09, 7:08 PM

How does it affect it?
    Originally posted by red devil
    Its called working casual. Cash in hand.
    • alwaysonthego
    • By alwaysonthego 14th Apr 09, 7:12 PM
    • 7,912 Posts
    • 10,748 Thanks
    alwaysonthego
    • 14th Apr 09, 7:12 PM
    • 14th Apr 09, 7:12 PM
    Originally posted by generaloneill
    Now that is fraud, the op could get in to alot of trouble and made to pay their benefits back.
  • hanny83
    • 14th Apr 09, 7:23 PM
    • 14th Apr 09, 7:23 PM
    You must declare ANY work you do, be it voluntary or paid.
    Hanny
    • Ms-Money-Penny
    • By Ms-Money-Penny 15th Apr 09, 6:01 PM
    • 1,592 Posts
    • 12,810 Thanks
    Ms-Money-Penny
    • 15th Apr 09, 6:01 PM
    • 15th Apr 09, 6:01 PM
    Not exactly true ....you're allowed to work 16 hrs or less and still claim JSA..
    Originally posted by mountainofdebt

Actually your statement is not true and you'd be suprised by how many get caught with the 16 hour rule.

example

If you are working 15 hours a week and earning £10 an hour you'd be earning £150.00 less tax etc. So why would you think you'd receive JSA on top of earning £150.00 a week.

I work in benefit fraud and this is the question they throw at you if you plead the 16 hour rule.

If you're earning over 16 hours then you claim WTC
    • mountainofdebt
    • By mountainofdebt 15th Apr 09, 6:16 PM
    • 7,427 Posts
    • 10,792 Thanks
    mountainofdebt
    • 15th Apr 09, 6:16 PM
    • 15th Apr 09, 6:16 PM
    Actually your statement is not true and you'd be suprised by how many get caught with the 16 hour rule.

example

If you are working 15 hours a week and earning £10 an hour you'd be earning £150.00 less tax etc. So why would you think you'd receive JSA on top of earning £150.00 a week.

I work in benefit fraud and this is the question they throw at you if you plead the 16 hour rule.

As far as I aware you can work 16 hours or less and anything you earn is taken into consideration when caculating the benefit amount......this is why I assume that I have had to provide copies of my wage slip every week since I started claimed. Presumably if I earned anything over the JSA entitlement then I would only get my contributions made up.

Or have I been given incorrect information?
    • Bamber19
    • By Bamber19 15th Apr 09, 6:18 PM
    • 2,053 Posts
    • 2,125 Thanks
    Bamber19
    As far as I aware you can work 16 hours or less and anything you earn is taken into consideration when caculating the benefit amount......this is why I assume that I have had to provide copies of my wage slip every week since I started claimed. Presumably if I earned anything over the JSA entitlement then I would only get my contributions made up.

Or have I been given incorrect information?
    Originally posted by mountainofdebt

Pretty much correct except that it's less than 16 hours, not 16 hours or less.
    Bought, not Brought
  • Bobl
    Originally posted by generaloneill
    And that is theft - of my hard earned money that I have to pay in tax to keep people like you! You make me sick and give people who are not playing the system a bad name.
  • storminbalder

example

I think you need to read the rule book!
  • junayda
    And that is theft - of my hard earned money that I have to pay in tax to keep people like you! You make me sick and give people who are not playing the system a bad name.
    Originally posted by Bobl
    That's so mean. You've no idea if the poster is playing the system, they just asked a simple question. Geez :rolleyes:
  • hanny83
    I think what Ms Money Penny meant was that in IUCs customers tend to use the under 16 hour rule as an excuse - that they thought they could work under 16 hours without declaring it. But of course, we all know that one must declare any work.
    Hanny
    • Ms-Money-Penny
    • By Ms-Money-Penny 15th Apr 09, 8:47 PM
    • 1,592 Posts
    • 12,810 Thanks
    Ms-Money-Penny
    I think you need to read the rule book!
    Originally posted by storminbalder

So you think it's okay for someone to earn £150.00 a week plus claim jsa .

Will phone Jobcentre tomorrow and make an appointment and go part time then and claim my £60.50 JSA a week. sorted.
  • storminbalder

Will phone Jobcentre tomorrow and make an appointment and go part time then and claim my £60.50 JSA a week. sorted.
    Eh?

You said you worked in benefit fraud a moment ago? You should know the rules!
    • ~Beanie~
    • By ~Beanie~ 15th Apr 09, 9:59 PM
    • 2,766 Posts
    • 1,923 Thanks
    ~Beanie~

Any money earned above the first £5 gets taken off your JSA, so you could in theory sign on but you wouldn't get any money off them.

I recently signed on for the first time after being made redundant from my day job (9-5 office work). I also have a 2nd job working less than 16 hours in a shop in the evenings. I am able to claim JSA but am only entitled to just over £12 per week as they take off the £52 I earn in the shop.

I am still classed as being a job seeker as I am seeking another full-time day job and I also get my NI paid.
    Last edited by ~Beanie~; 15-04-2009 at 10:03 PM.

• Bobl
    That's so mean. You've no idea if the poster is playing the system, they just asked a simple question. Geez :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by junayda
    If you read the post correctly you will see I was replying to another post who suggested working cash in hand.

Geez - read before you post
  • generaloneill
    Originally posted by Bobl

people like me? I pay more tax than you see in a year. Tit.
  • onlyforboards

example

Surely you are talking about people who do not declare it though? The OP as far as we know may be offered a few hours and want to take them to enable them to get more work in the future.

People tend to forget that the job centre also has a responsibility to assist people into employment and that people often use it as such a resource until they find full time permanent employment.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,188Posts Today

5,984Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Tonight 8pm itv in my #moneyshow fight delays fight back, are you missing the marriage tax break, kids savings, and much more. Do watch

• RT @MoneySavingExp: Is it OK to use a 2for1 voucher on a first date? More than 5,000 answered our poll, here's what they told us... https:/?

• British Gas 5% gas only price cut's paltry, like the rest, typically youll still be RIPPED OFF £300/yr. Check now https://t.co/4z6ZQAFv5T RT

• Follow Martin