Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > January 2009 Grocery Challenge (Page 79)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
January 2009 Grocery Challenge
Views: 103,142
# 1561
NewlyFrugalMumof3
Old 20-01-2009, 5:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel View Post
It's just me and hubby, and I tend to test out ideas with food and then tell him a few weeks later, because he's one of these people who would insist they taste the difference if he knew in advance. He was quite happy with the diluted milk etc as he couldn't taste the difference. Also, he's adamant he hates swede and won't eat it. I've yet to tell him he's been eating it in mash, pasties and stews for years. I sense that could be a trust-breaker

My sister's husband claimed once he could only have branded coffee because he had very sensitive taste buds and he couldn't tolerate the taste of anything else. So she switched his special Nescafe for Lidl's own - just decanted it into the jar and hid the lidl packaging. That was almost a year ago and he still hasn't twigged.

Sneak it in gradually is what I say.....
Thanks Steel. I will have to be more "undercover" like with my swops and cheats. It's true about my OH too. He wouldn't touch swede if I dished it up separately with his meal, but boy does he wolf down my/my mum's homemade pasties (swede included)!! Hmmm. Am wondering what other items I can 'decant'. Thanks for your tips.
Oct GC 227.51/360, NSD: 3/31
SP: ?/100 Debt LBM 07/2012 Total:8,910
DF by 27/4/2015 - 4161/8910 = 53% paid
Fuel: 38.40 (saved 1.50 with 5p off/ltr)
Am*x - Decorating/Mobile/sundries/gifts 88.93/100,
Run/walk/cycling 12.2/20km
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to NewlyFrugalMumof3 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1562
orchid-96
Old 20-01-2009, 5:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof4 View Post
Hi
Just nipped in to say, my DH has had to shop/cook/feed kids since Monday, hence I don't know how much grocery money he has spent. I have been struck down with norovirus and feel really ill. Probably over budget!!! Got pages on here to catch up with but it'll have to wait.

bye for now
Sorry to hear you are unwell mommyof4, don't worry about the gc too much, just get yourself better - I am sure your dh has picked up lots of tips
Jun GC 250.00/12.40 NSD 3 / 30

January 200/198.91 February 200/239.28 March 200/230
April 250/no idea May 250/265.95

Sealed pot challenge number 648
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to orchid-96 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1563
angelatgraceland
Old 20-01-2009, 6:12 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyFrugalMumof3 View Post
Thanks Steel. I will have to be more "undercover" like with my swops and cheats. It's true about my OH too. He wouldn't touch swede if I dished it up separately with his meal, but boy does he wolf down my/my mum's homemade pasties (swede included)!! Hmmm. Am wondering what other items I can 'decant'. Thanks for your tips.
Well I also decant coffee-and teabags(into the Tetley tin) but the favourite is tomato sauce! Ive got a plastic Daddies bottle which is offten washed out and refilled with Asdas own value or Lidls. Thats what they got for wanting branded stuff. Cornflakes are another one-Tescos own(not the value they are yuck)they are as good as Kellogs and go into my plastic cereal box as do any brand of wheat cereals which look like Weetabix. No complaints whatsoever! Ive admitted to the cereals but not the sauce and coffee/tea.
Sometimes its the only way as they judge by name not by taste otherwise. Suck it and see is what I say!
Annual Grocery budget 2014 is 3000 pa 250 calendar month 57 pw for 3 adults One dog and two cats.
January 2014 spend so far 87
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to angelatgraceland For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1564
nickynoo08
Old 20-01-2009, 7:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks queen of string. I had a quick look on tesco online to see what i could get for 40 and was quite supprised. I reckon i'll be able to get all my household cleaning stuff, ladies stuff, shower gels (already got some in) etc to last us the year plus a few large bags of pasta, rice and tinned stuff too.
Make 10 a day Jan 62.60/310 saved 0 (Running total - 62.60 made and 139 saved)
VSP #133 9.79
Loan @ 1/1/11 6300.44 2558.41
Fresh start, just me and my lovely boys
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to nickynoo08 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1565
Butterflybecks
Old 20-01-2009, 8:26 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hello,
Just wanted to come and update my signature. Went and did weekly shop last night at Mr T's and only spent 32.86 (6 of that on cat food and litter). So that bring me to 138.01 total so far for the month and with only one more shop to go I will be under budget by about 30 . Very pleased with my self as this is my first month.

Plus I have managed to teach the cats about money saving and they are back on tinned food!!! saving me lots.

Hope every one else is having a good month

Becki x
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Butterflybecks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1566
mummy2mygirls
Old 20-01-2009, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelatgraceland View Post
Well I also decant coffee-and teabags(into the Tetley tin) but the favourite is tomato sauce! Ive got a plastic Daddies bottle which is offten washed out and refilled with Asdas own value or Lidls. Thats what they got for wanting branded stuff. Cornflakes are another one-Tescos own(not the value they are yuck)they are as good as Kellogs and go into my plastic cereal box as do any brand of wheat cereals which look like Weetabix. No complaints whatsoever! Ive admitted to the cereals but not the sauce and coffee/tea.
Sometimes its the only way as they judge by name not by taste otherwise. Suck it and see is what I say!
Oh interesting about the sauce and washing out the bottle.....my dh is so fussy and will only have hp sauce, ketchup and salad cream (cant think of the name but the expensive brand) Bet he wouldnt notice if i done this....might have to give it a go...
GC: Nov: 60.22/450 Oct: 338.48/450, July: 363.05/450, June 447.98/500
2 savers No68: 104/100

mummy to: 8yr, 5yr, 3yr, 2yr, 1yr. No6 Due Mar 2013 My world.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to mummy2mygirls For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1567
PennyGrabber
Old 20-01-2009, 9:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You'll have to let us know if the tuna fishcakes you made were any good - it's something that my children would probably love to make - could we hide some veggies in them too?! How did you make them?
Although I'm not starting the GC until Feb (well, 23rd Jan due to payday!), I've been following the thread avidly, and it's amazing how quickly you can change your habits. That's all I think it is. For example, my children go to their dad's on a weds night, and as I'm by myself, I go wandering around the supermarkets for something to do, and end up spending a small fortune, and money I don't have! That will certainly change, and I won't be going tomorrow!
I had a NSD today, and yesterday, and i only bought stamps on Sunday, so that was a grocery NSD as far as I'm concerned! Three in a row - woo!
I don't know about anyone else, but I feel really good about myself, knowing I'm trying to do something about my money situation, and that gives me the momentum to keep going.
My new mantra for shopping - do I really need this?
And my tip for today - when you're shopping, just because it's gone into your trolley, doesn't mean you have to buy it! I've started looking at everything as I put it on the checkout, and if i'm in two minds about it, it goes back - they normally have an area by the belt where you can put stuff. This saved me over 10 last week!
Well done everyone for inspiring me, and I look forward to joining you for the Feb GC!
Food etc for me, DD9 and DS7(and a bf half the time for dinners)
April lost count but about 180
May budget 100, spent 130, which is a 28% reduction on April!!
June budget 90, spent around 150
July budget 93, spent so far 82.72
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to PennyGrabber For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1568
glitterball
Old 20-01-2009, 9:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Just updating my signature and it looks like I'm going to be within target. Its my first month and I wonder if I've given myself too much. What do you think is reasonable for one person I have put down 100 whats the experience of other singletons???????.
I usually buy my meat once a year at Costco hence the slush fund that I would put any balance left into.
MFW : Starting Point 31 Dec 08 67,727 MF Date Jul 2027 31/12/14
2014 MFW 101 -Target 11,400
MFIT-T3 No 131
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to glitterball For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1569
elizabunny
Old 20-01-2009, 9:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyGrabber View Post
You'll have to let us know if the tuna fishcakes you made were any good - it's something that my children would probably love to make - could we hide some veggies in them too?! How did you make them?
Hi PennyGrabber -My DH loved the Tuna Fishcakes and he is my guide -if he doesn't like it, I don't make it again. I thought they were really yum too. This was my recipe:-

1 tin of tuna (drained really well)
Mashed Potato (I used leftovers from a previous dinner -it needs to be quite firm)
1 finely chopped Onion
2 tsp of Dill and Mustard Sauce (I just put this in because there was some in the cupboard, but I'm sure you could use a substitute like tomato sauce)
HM Breadcrumbs
Salt & Pepper to taste

Mix all the ingredients together apart from the breadcrumbs. If your mixture is a bit wet you could add some breadcrumbs to it, to firm it up. Divide into equal portions (I made 4 big fishcakes but you could make 8 smaller ones). Pat into rounds and then coat in breadcrumbs. I fried mine for a few minutes in a little olive oil then baked them off in the oven to get them really hot & crispy (I don't have a deep fat fryer).

I'm sure you could hide some mashed up peas or sweetcorn in them too. I will definately be making them again.

tessiebear -how did the marmalade turn out?
Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022
5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to elizabunny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1570
orchid-96
Old 20-01-2009, 9:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for the tuna fishcakes recipe, I am going to give them a try for my littluns...I was just wondering though, could I use shop bought breadcrumbs? I have a tub of them in th cupboard (a little out of date) but havn't been opened, do you think I could use them?

DH made a lovely soup tonight that we had with leftover baguettes, it was 'moroccan chick pea and broad bean' and it was delicious, he made enough for another meal for the 2 of us, but have told him in future to double up so we can get more out of it, tried to get the littluns to taste it but they turned their noses up (typical)....nearly managed a nsd but as I was a bit early for my opticians appt I nipped into the quality save shop nearby (a lot like home bargains) and picked up a few bits that were really cheap as I was low on snacky stuff, they had whitworths stuffing mix fo 10p a box and those amoy straight to wok noodles for 19p a pack (with enough for 2meals in) I also picked up some unusual dipping type sauces that dh loves and at only around 29p each I don't mind...so another 3.54 to add so still looking ok for this month....only hope I can keep it up!
Jun GC 250.00/12.40 NSD 3 / 30

January 200/198.91 February 200/239.28 March 200/230
April 250/no idea May 250/265.95

Sealed pot challenge number 648

Last edited by orchid-96; 20-01-2009 at 9:42 PM.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to orchid-96 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1571
PennyGrabber
Old 20-01-2009, 9:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks eliza! Sounds good, and I'll try that with DD (3) and DS (2) at the weekend!
orchid - if you've got the breadcrumbs, use them and see, otherwise they may end up going in the bin - rather use them now while they're only a bit out of date!
Food etc for me, DD9 and DS7(and a bf half the time for dinners)
April lost count but about 180
May budget 100, spent 130, which is a 28% reduction on April!!
June budget 90, spent around 150
July budget 93, spent so far 82.72
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to PennyGrabber For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1572
elizabunny
Old 20-01-2009, 9:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchid-96 View Post
Thanks for the tuna fishcakes recipe, I am going to give them a try for my littluns...I was just wondering though, could I use shop bought breadcrumbs? I have a tub of them in th cupboard (a little out of date) but havn't been opened, do you think I could use them?
Hello orchid-96 - Sorry I'm not much use here because I have never used shop bought breadcrumbs -but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Also, I really don't know how long after the date they would be edible - I think there may be other OS who may have used them before so hopefully they can help you out more than me.

I'm hoping to grow broad beans this year so maybe -if you don't mind you could post your soup recipe -it sounds lovely!

Just remembered another NSD for me today -so 3 in a row!
Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022
5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.

Last edited by elizabunny; 20-01-2009 at 9:47 PM.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to elizabunny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1573
bunnygirl007
Old 20-01-2009, 9:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hello everyone, I have been seeing the Jan Grocery Challenge on people's sigs all over the forum and wondered where the thread lived! Now I've found you all and what a great thread it is - please can I join for Feb?

I've started keeping a spreadsheet to record my groceries that I'm buying each week so 1) I can get an idea how much I need to budget for next month and 2) I'm finding it very useful to highlight where I have bought uneccessarliy i.e. a one off treat I won't be repeating.

I've got loads of store cupboard and quite a bit of frozen stuff so am thinking of listing it all on another spreadsheet so I can see what I've got without standing on my head looking in cupboards and hopefully make use of lots of things that have been lurking in the cupboards for too long and also start menu planning.

I've only got 2 full weeks of shopping listed so far but both weeks have come in around 68 something - I don't think I've missed any spends. This is only groceries though not anything like money for school lunches or me if I'm working aay from home (I'm a home worker).

I'm feeling quite excited to be starting this challenge but like a lot of things I start the novelty soon wears off and I start falling behind so guy's please keep me going and give me a virtual kick up the bum if necessary.

Also where can I get Twinks Hob Nob recipe please? It sounds great. I've been doing choc brownies a few times but could do to leave the choc for a while.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to bunnygirl007 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1574
elaina79
Old 20-01-2009, 9:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi I am new to all this so please be gentle with me.

My budget for Jan is 400 for 4 of us (soon to be 5). Kids have just started getting free school dinners so that should cut my bill a bit. Total so far for this month is 281.45.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to elaina79 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1575
angelatgraceland
Old 20-01-2009, 10:24 PM

Twinks Homemade hobnobs
8oz sr flour
8oz sugar
8oz porridge oats

8oz margarine
1tbsp golden syrup
1tbsp hot water
1/2 tsp bic soda

mix flour, oats and sugar
melt marg, syrup and water in a pan
stir in bic soda and add to dry mix, mix well,
make smallish balls and put on greased tray and flatten slightly with a fork,
180oc Gas 4 for 15 mins,
cool on the tray, you just want them golden in oven not brown

These are nice-they must be cos we ALL like them on here! If you go to the very beginning of this thread you will find the recipe index and links too-there are many there you will find useful so do read the first few pages of the thread. They are put on each month so will also be on febs thread.
Annual Grocery budget 2014 is 3000 pa 250 calendar month 57 pw for 3 adults One dog and two cats.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to angelatgraceland For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1576
angelnikki
Old 20-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default week three

Hiya bunnygirl007, elaina79 and all newbies welcome to the challenge. If you look on the first page of this thread you'll find lots of info and the recipe index (thanks to rosieben for doing such a great job keeping it up to date) which has links to loads of great recipes including Twink's Hobnobs. HTH

I've just had my third spend of the month. My MrT delivery came to 80.91. This included 6.42 on nappies/wipes, 13.09 on toiletries and 80p on household stuff. So only 60.60 was on food.

I have decided to fully chicken out. I always buy free range eggs but not FR chicken because I didn't feel I could afford free range on my budget. But now that I've managed to reduce our spends, thanks to the GC, we can afford to only buy free range chicken (and pork) too

My total spend at the end of week three: 247.84 / 350

Off to update my siggy...

Nikki x
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to angelnikki For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1577
Toonie
Old 20-01-2009, 10:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Just updating my total. Woke up with an awful migraine this morning and couldn't go to work, so I sent BF off with instructions to buy a bottle of milk and that's what he did Will be going to work tomorrow though.

Shouldn't need anything else for the week until Sunday. Today we had pasta, sauce from the freezer and bacon. Yummy! Made a crumble yesterday and had leftovers today. Have also made a few fairy cakes, some to take to work (I provide lunch on a Wednesday for me and my little charge-but get reimbursed) and a couple for BF for elevenses. Used one egg and got ten fairy cakes-not too bad!
Taking part in the Cancer Research Shine Half Marathon on 27th September!
Old Style Resolution - Make soup once a week to use up bits from the fridge.
Savings goal - 2014 between 1st January and 31st December (approx 168 per month) 1350/2014 saved as of August.
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Toonie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1578
angelatgraceland
Old 20-01-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelnikki View Post
I have decided to fully chicken out. I always buy free range eggs but not FR chicken because I didn't feel I could afford free range on my budget. But now that I've managed to reduce our spends, thanks to the GC, we can afford to only buy free range chicken (and pork) too

My total spend at the end of week three: 247.84 / 350

Off to update my siggy...

Nikki x
Well done! This is also the stage I have reached. I started off with FR eggs but the price of the chicken wasn't really very affordable. Asda do FR chicken very reasonable though so I did get a couple from there and that is what I intend to do in the future unless its a true big whoopsie(which would still leave me a little guilty). I want to use up all of the other meat in my freezer too and eventually replace it with the "happy" variety. It does mean cutting back on it but I plan to cut back on red meat anyhow. When we were much poorer and living on more soya and pulses years ago we were also healthier. I can't turn back the clock 20 years but I can turn back our diet somewhat. Such changes do take time and I would rather have a FR chicken once a week than a caged twice a week which is where we were a couple of years ago. I feel I am making considered choices now-as I think a lot of us here also now feel-rather than just buying "food" without too much consideration as to cost both in monetary terms and moral ones. I will leave the "value" ones for those who are still beginners and feel a need to buy them. I did also put the free range pork into my basket but put it back for a very good reason-yes-I put it back because I didn't need it! I already have loads in the freezer to use up.

Last edited by angelatgraceland; 20-01-2009 at 10:48 PM.
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to angelatgraceland For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1579
JayJay14
Old 20-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Just got back from Asda, thought there might be a few woopsies but all I got was a french loaf for 2p.

There was a good deal on milk though 97p for 2L of 2% milk, but my fav item was Country Life unsalted butter for 47p

Must go and get the beef stew out of the freezer for tomorrow night, I think it will take me until next Xmas to eat our way trough the freezer
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to JayJay14 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1580
miss_keep_counting
Old 20-01-2009, 11:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Another food NSD for me, here's hoping I can do a 3rd in a row tomorrow and keep using up my food stash! I totted up my spend for food so far this month at 125 (plus there were a few takeaways not recorded) so doing my best to keep in line for the rest of the month and putting Febs target at a low figure to try and test me
Saving for my future...
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to miss_keep_counting For This Useful Post: Show me >>