Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales > Do you refund on postage if refunding an item sol... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Do you refund on postage if refunding an item sold on eBay?
View Poll Results: If refunding an item sold on eBay, do you refund the postage aswell?
Full postage refunded 23 51.11%
Partial postage refunded 4 8.89%
No postage refunded 18 40.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Views: 31,596
# 1
Stuart P
Old 13-03-2006, 10:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Do you refund on postage if refunding an item sold on eBay?

just intersted to see what other ebay sellers offer....

Last edited by MSE Martin; 14-03-2006 at 5:48 PM.
# 2
Anthillmob
Old 13-03-2006, 10:40 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

id be interested if someone returns the good if anyone refunds their postage as well. i personally would refund the postage i paid/charged them originally.
# 3
LULUBELLE
Old 13-03-2006, 10:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Yes, I would, mainly because i would never refund just because they changed their mind, it would have to be because I'd inadvertently sent the wrong size or similar, or if it was lost in the post.
I only exist in my own mind - if you can see, hear or read me, you are a product of my imagination.
# 4
wigginsmum
Old 13-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Would depend if it was my fault or not; if the item was genuinely faulty or I sent the wrong one, I would refund all their costs including the cost of returning it to me.
The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
# 5
Stuart P
Old 13-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

if it was my error then yes i would or offer a replacement. if a customer changes their mind then i would not. what do large companies like amazon do?
# 6
Anthillmob
Old 13-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

so if someone says its faulty etc you MUST get it sent back and not just rely on photographic evidnce before refunding.
# 7
soolin
Old 14-03-2006, 7:55 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Like all the others say it would depend on the circumstances. If something is faulty then I would refund the whole amount as soon as the item was returned to me, likewise in cases where item is lost in th epost I would refund the lot. After all in both those cases a paypal chargeback would refund the buyer in full anyway.

However, if a buyer wants a refund just becasue they've changed their mind then no, they just get item cost back. I don't really offer refunds, but I do sometimes, very rarely make an exception and don't think I should have to lose the postage as well.

Soo
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
# 8
bleugh
Old 14-03-2006, 8:05 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

does depend on the reason,
if they 'change their mind' i won't refund at all, its 'tough luck', but if they were very nice then i'd refund less postage

any faults of my own, i refund ALL postage, including their returning opst costs, why should the buyer be out of pocket?
money saving my @rse.
I've spent 10x as much as I would if I had never discovered this website :-)
:: No Links in signatures please - FM ::
# 9
seabiscuit
Old 14-03-2006, 8:26 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

depends on the problem

if its faulty and when its returned to me prooving its faulty then i refund everything as its my fault

if its a case of didnt like it or changed mine then tough luck
See the stars they’re shining bright
Everything’s alright tonight
# 10
shellsuit
Old 14-03-2006, 9:07 AM

Same as the majority here really.

If lost, damaged or broken, then a full refund including postage costs and any other postage costs such as the buyer having to send a broken/damaged item back to me, will be issued.

If they have changed their mind, or it is the wrong size (even though listing states all sizes clearly) then tough. They won't get anything back from me.
Smoked my last stinking fag on the 4th July 2012 @ 3pm
# 11
LucyLocket
Old 14-03-2006, 9:39 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I would only refund if I believed there was a genuine problem with the item, not just if the buyer changed their mind ( if that's the case they can list it on ebay themselves). However if I believed the buyer had genuine grounds for a refund I would definitely refund postage as well. In fact when buying I refuse to deal with sellers who state that in the event of misdescription etc they only refund the value of the item . I feel that they are effectively saying if they make a mistake they expect the buyer to suffer for it .
Nothing in it, nothing in it but a ribbon round it .....
# 12
richto
Old 14-03-2006, 1:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I dont normally refund send or return postage. Those conditions are clearly stated upfront and item pricing is on that basis. If an item was supplied faulty or of 'unmerchantable quality' and the buyer insisted on a full refund rather than a replacement then I would probably refund postage. However no one has asked for a refund for that reason yet in 2 years, and I trade £100K a year!

Very occassionally buyers ask for a refund of return postage costs where goods were faulty or incorrect and I consider those on a case by case basis, but by default we encourage buyers to meet these costs in the event that something needs returning.

If they wish to return items under the 7 days required under the distance selling regulations then in addition to deducting postage costs we also deduct our 10% service fees included in the item price as they have already received the service.
Again this is stated up front that service fees are to be treated as a seperate contract from delivery and the cost of the item. This covers ebay final value and relisting costs, etc. This makes sure we are not out of pocket from returns and still meets the requirements of the Distance Selling Regulations.

Last edited by richto; 14-03-2006 at 1:16 PM.
# 13
Contains Mild Peril
Old 14-03-2006, 5:14 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I've never had a faulty item returned to me, though if I did I'd refund postage both ways. If a buyer complained of a fairly minor fault I'd normally give the choice of a partial refund if they keep the item, or a full refund if they return it. For items lost in the post, I refund the payment I received - purchase price plus whatever I charged for p&p. I have a returns policy that customers may return items which do no fit or are unwanted for some other reason but not faulty, but I will only refund the purchase price minus my eBay fees. No-one has sent back an item that doesn't fit for a partial refund yet.
# 14
Katyag
Old 14-03-2006, 7:49 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via AIM to Katyag Send a message via MSN to Katyag

Im having this to-do now.

Buyer claims item was faulty but it wasnt when i sent it. He wants a refund (its minimal) and because its minimal he wants to keep the item. I said no so now he wants all postage inc the return postage. Im willing to refund his original postage but not return postage as i dont believe its faulty. He has sent me pics but like a previous poster i wont accept any fault til i see it.
Bringing up 2 handsome boys and 1 gorgeous girl the MSE way!

Joseph born 19th December 2001
Matthew born 8th August 2007
Tara born 23rd January 2011
# 15
Andy Mason
Old 14-03-2006, 11:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Responsible Policy

As a Commercial Platinum Power Seller with great feedback, we have adopted a responsible attitude to returns and there are some points to consider. The main thing is that selling commercially on eBay does not exempt you from the Sales of Goods act or the distance selling regulations. So under the distance selling regulations our customers have the right to return goods by notifying the seller of the their intention to excercise their right to return within 7 days starting the day after they receive the goods. (this is increased to 30 days if the seller does not inform the customer of their right to cancel). So my point is if some of the people saying on this post if the customers have changed their mind we wont accept it back, then they are breaking the law if they are selling commercially. I find it staggering how many eBay sellers seem to think because they are selling on eBay the law doesn't apply to them.

With regards to carriage. Our policy is straight forward. Our fault we pay. Customers fault they pay. And by pay I mean cost of both outward and return carriage. If a customer makes a genuine mistake and orders a replacement item, we will usually send the replacement free if they send the unwanted item back to us. It is amazing how far good customer service can take your business.

tag: buyatool
The Following User Says Thank You to Andy Mason For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
haveyouseenthis
Old 15-03-2006, 11:30 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Refunding

Distance Selling regulations state that the buyer is entitled to a 7 day cooling off period thus entitling them to a refund. We will only refund full costs if the item is returned to us in A1 condition and in it's original packaging. We only refund postage if the item is found to be geniunely faulty.

www.haveyouseenthis-ebay.co.uk
# 17
steveh2001
Old 15-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I refund mine if IVE made a mistake e.g. sent the wrong item, if it the buyers mistake, i dont
# 18
shellsuit
Old 15-03-2006, 12:55 PM

#16 & #16

If you are a commercial trader, then that applys, but if you are simply just selling your own belongings (not buying to sell) or selling for friends, then this does not apply.

I'm not a business, I just sell things I no longer want or need.
Smoked my last stinking fag on the 4th July 2012 @ 3pm
# 19
Benji
Old 15-03-2006, 2:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Glad to see that this post is coming around to the legal aspects of the question - after all we'd all be aghast if Tesco decided to ignore their legal responsibilities wouldn't we?

I guess it's difficult to decide if you're a business or not - but the requirements of the distance selling regulations are really just good business practice and if every eBayer was compelled to adhere to it there would be a lot more satisfied eBayers - and that means more customers for all of us.

If it's your fault ~ then the customer shouldn't bear any costs
If it's not your fault ~ then the customer has to cover the shipping costs

BTW, don't forget that under British Law you are responsible for the item until it arrives at the buyers address, so if the PO squash it, it's your responsibility and you have to take that up with the PO.
# 20
steveh2001
Old 15-03-2006, 4:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji
Glad to see that this post is coming around to the legal aspects of the question - after all we'd all be aghast if Tesco decided to ignore their legal responsibilities wouldn't we?

I guess it's difficult to decide if you're a business or not - but the requirements of the distance selling regulations are really just good business practice and if every eBayer was compelled to adhere to it there would be a lot more satisfied eBayers - and that means more customers for all of us.

If it's your fault ~ then the customer shouldn't bear any costs
If it's not your fault ~ then the customer has to cover the shipping costs

BTW, don't forget that under British Law you are responsible for the item until it arrives at the buyers address, so if the PO squash it, it's your responsibility and you have to take that up with the PO.
I agree with your last sentance - the postage "contract" is between the seller and RM, so i always refund if the post is lost/damaged and claim later.

However recently i had a case where i sold a DVD and the guy claimed it was black and white on his TV (was a box set with 3 series in) and i found it difficult to believe that all 3 series came out black and white and the disks were faulty. So in this case i said return the DVDs and if they all come out black and white on my TV ill refund you in full inc return postage, and if not ill refund minus my postage costs, and of course they worked perfectly on my TV (guess he either didnt like the set or copied them and sent them back...) so i refunded him minus the postage costs.

And i do specify no returns for incompatibility on the auction page (for DVDs) so if they dont read the auction properley its not really my fault (unless the disks were faulty).

But i also had a case where i sent the wrong DVD, where i sent out the correct DVD and told them to keep the other DVD
Closed Thread