Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 3rd Mar 06, 1:31 PM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    0 WOW
    How to Find a Cheap Flight Article Discussion Area
    • 3rd Mar 06, 1:31 PM
    0 WOW
    How to Find a Cheap Flight Article Discussion Area 3rd Mar 06 at 1:31 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

How to Find a Cheap Flight Article.

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 1
    • michaels
    • By michaels 6th Mar 06, 11:02 AM
    • 19,247 Posts
    • 88,291 Thanks
    michaels
    • 6th Mar 06, 11:02 AM
    • 6th Mar 06, 11:02 AM
    Earlier last year someone posted a link to a website which allowed you to do charter flight searches for several different charter carriers (in connection with an offer of sub 100 pound flights to stanford I think) but I can't find the thread again. However I think the link would be useful as part of this article.
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 6th Mar 06, 1:17 PM
    • 8,109 Posts
    • 42,243 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 6th Mar 06, 1:17 PM
    • 6th Mar 06, 1:17 PM
    Good idea - ive added http://www.flightsdirect.com/charter-flights/ in there
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • Big_Al51
    • By Big_Al51 8th Mar 06, 1:43 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Big_Al51
    • 8th Mar 06, 1:43 AM
    Cheap flight to the States
    • 8th Mar 06, 1:43 AM
    Hi

I'm looking for a cheap flight to the States in July returning August. The advice always seems to be book early - but the best deals always seem to come at the last minute.

Big Al
  • barron
    • 8th Mar 06, 11:05 PM
    • 8th Mar 06, 11:05 PM
    Hi.
    Agreeing with most on this site,however it should be pointed out that DIYing ,Cheap Flights, Hotels etc can also lead to problems.The cheap providers ie Easy Jet etc are NOT bonded (ATOL).Also Accomadation suppliers usually the same.
    So if you were to book DIY you are NOT protected.
    People spend hours looking for Flights ,Hotels,Transfers,Car Hire,Attraction Tickets etc etc.
    If they knew that an BONDED INDEPENDANT Travel Agent can do it for them ,often getting cheaper deals than you would find yourselves at NO cost to you.
    Make sure an agent has ATOL and is a member of a Trust,you are then protected financially.
    Most Independants earn their commission from the supplier,the exact same suppliers and more, that the DIYers use.They put the package together,under their ATOL,and the client is protected.Plus the Independant has up to the minute info on the best deals.I can go on,but the simple fact is,
    DIYing = Time,Time = MONEY,Saving Time = Saving Money
    USE an INDEPENDANT (BONDED)who does DYNAMIC/TAILOR MADE Packages.
    Same Flights ,Same Hotel etc.= Same/Cheaper price.= THEIR Time = NOT YOURS.
  • nelly
    • 9th Mar 06, 5:52 AM
    • 9th Mar 06, 5:52 AM
    Ive not spotted either of these 2 tips in there pleas remove if I overlooked them.

As long as your dates are not set in concrette, there is a weird pricing thing going on with different dates for no apparent reason.

On British Airways flight booker, it gives the option to check prices up to 14 days either side of the date you enter.

As an example;
    London New york 1st of April which is a Saturday, fair enough weekend day,

but look at the previous Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday prices, theres quite a difference for no obvious reason. (times this by a family of 4 and its a good few quid)

I do this then go and book through expedia it has worked a couple of times it seems there are just cheaper days to fly, industry wide, not just BA.
    (ie, continentals flights were cheaper on the same days as BA's)

Its just Ba's webby shows these days up rather easier than keep entering different dates for hours on end.

Also check more than once per day, we went to Toronto from Manchester checked the flight price in the morning at dinner then in the evening, same flights, plane destination and departure airports, 2 weeks before we flew;

8 am- £1200

12 noon- £1400

6 pm - £700

I have not got a clue why such a change in price happend across 1 day but it did.

Guess which one we booked?
  • Leebo
    • 9th Mar 06, 9:31 AM
    Screenscraper link to site Sidestep
    • 9th Mar 06, 9:31 AM
    Hi i followed the link in this artcile labelled Sidestep and was presented with an American website called Orbitz. I want to fly to amsterdam from london and the flights are around £30 cheaper here.

With this being an amercan airline and company would i need to be an American citizen to fly with them?

Also the prices are in dollars. Would i be charged a lot extra to pay with my card in sterling?

I'm presuming with an e-ticket i simply print this off and produce it at the airport to board my flight?

Any help will be much appreciated.
  • YBNB
    • 9th Mar 06, 9:35 AM
    • 9th Mar 06, 9:35 AM
    Hi Leebo

Can't help you with the American aspect of it, but I do fly a lot with budget airlines, and the e-ticket means you need to show your unique booking reference along with your passport when you check in at the airport. Many people tend to print off the booking confirmation from the airport and hand that over at check-in.

Good luck.
  • zoelife
    • 9th Mar 06, 3:07 PM
    Disability friendly flights operaotrs hotels
    • 9th Mar 06, 3:07 PM
    I think the whole idea of getting cheaperflights/holidays is great. However if you are disabled, with mobility difficulties and fatigue, as I am you need to be a bit more cautious and find out if you can get assistance, stairlifts, seats with extra leg room wheelchair, accessible room etc.

Does anyone have any tips for me about disability aware/friendly tour operators airways and hotels without spending loadsa money as I am on benefits and who doesn't love a bargain.

I am looking for sun without humidity as close as possible eg Malta Cyprus Benidorm. Accessible hotels resorts that aren't too loud would be helpful too. Had very bad experience with First Choice and Tenerife

Here's hoping Martin's wonderful site can encorporate disabled friendly companies or at least flag them up to congratulate them and encourage others to become disabled friendly!

waiting with anticipation...
    Last edited by zoelife; 09-03-2006 at 3:15 PM.
  • dhyandeva
    I would really like to be able to search for 'somewhere warm'! Eg in spring that would prob include anywhere in southern Europe. In deep winter it might include just the southermost points of Europe: Malaga/Almeria/Sicily/Cyprus. Then I would not have to work my way thru all those Swedish airports that come up! Maybe it could be a latitude limit on a map or an average temp limit
  • e4kerry
    Found cheap return flight from Stanstead to Ancona in Italy, on Flight Checker for dates I require, with Ryanair. Same flight with www.Ryanair is £45:00 extra, how do I/can I book with Flight Checker ? 4ekerry.
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 13th Mar 06, 7:10 AM
    • 5,634 Posts
    • 3,609 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    Found cheap return flight from Stanstead to Ancona in Italy, on Flight Checker for dates I require, with Ryanair. Same flight with www.Ryanair is £45:00 extra, how do I/can I book with Flight Checker ? 4ekerry.
    by e4kerry
    They must have went up in price since flightchecker spidered them
  • NicolaJH
    I used skyscanner to find cheap flights to Portugal. Found that the cheapest thing to do was fly out and come back with different airlines.
    The disadvantage of this is that monarch airlines charged me for the return flight in euros and that came out more expensive by about £8 when compared with the price in pounds (seen when putting in an outbound and return flight and also given by skyscanner).
  • rappius
    I have just booked a trip to Israel, 3-10 April, and found all sorts of pricing problems. Firstly, through Flightsearchers the cheapest flight cost was £420 then I asked my daughter what she had paid and I was told £342. This price she got through a local travel agent (lta). I tried a number of the search engines and no one got near to £340. I checked with the lta and actually got a better price of £338 as I was flying from Stansted and she was flying from Heathrow????? There are cheaper flights but you have to travel to a European city and change so it takes for ever. I also discovered in the previous week's Jewish Chronicle (not everyone's reading I know) that I could have flown on the same flight for £179, so I wasn't too happy that I had missed that deal.

Then I needed to hire a car from the airport and was quoted usd 250 for 8 days which I thought extortionate but could find no better than this on line.
    I tried Opodo and the website would not even give me a price as I'm 68 on Saturday and flying a week later, so I emailed the company to find out the problem. A very nice man called Adam rang me later in the day and we arranged an economy vehicle for ...... wait for it...........£107.70; a result or what. My friend in Israel has a cousin in the car rental business and he quoted the same usd250.
    Then it was the turn of car parking at Stansted. the best quote through searchers was £69something so I rang the company where I usually park and asked for a a reduction and ended up paying £52.20.
    I had a good day.
  • skint-78
    I think the whole idea of getting cheaperflights/holidays is great. However if you are disabled, with mobility difficulties and fatigue, as I am you need to be a bit more cautious and find out if you can get assistance, stairlifts, seats with extra leg room wheelchair, accessible room etc.

Does anyone have any tips for me about disability aware/friendly tour operators airways and hotels without spending loadsa money as I am on benefits and who doesn't love a bargain.

I am looking for sun without humidity as close as possible eg Malta Cyprus Benidorm. Accessible hotels resorts that aren't too loud would be helpful too. Had very bad experience with First Choice and Tenerife

Here's hoping Martin's wonderful site can encorporate disabled friendly companies or at least flag them up to congratulate them and encourage others to become disabled friendly!

waiting with anticipation...
    by zoelife
    I found that Monarch are excellent airline for planning flights in advance with you to meet your needs. They send a questionnaire out for you to complete so that they can try and be as helpful as possible before the date of travel.
  • barry12254
    any best value ideasfor flights to las vagas 'with a break' ie 11 hrs plus is too much travel in economy, so break at 7/8 hours in new york or chicago then on to vegas. it took me ages to get any where last time i went the airline sites of american airlines and continental etc, dont allow for this if you put multi city it is dearer as they expect va few days stop-over -m i only want a 2/3 hour gap to re circulate my legs etc then short 4/5 hr 'hop' on to vegas
    Last edited by barry12254; 14-04-2006 at 5:52 PM.
  • Willxx
    Anyone seen the current Ryanair offers showing "free" and £1.74, £ 2.74 £3.74 etc flights (excluding taxes)?

How the hell do you get those prices? I have checked flights on their website for dates from now to end October for flights from East Midlands to Wroclaw in Poland which is advertised "from" £ 2,74 (+ taxes) the cheapest I have found is £19.99 outward (beginning june) and £12.99 inward (mid october)! (Taxes are added to these prices so it isn't even as if its £2.74 + tax = £19.99)

I know these flight are cheap anyway but if they're advertising them surely they should be available?
  • Colenso
    "Travel Supermarket" doesn't have Cairns (5th busiest) in its six Oz airports
    Cairns’s international terminal is Australia’s fifth busiest international airport (source Cairns Port Authority), and a popular destination with visiting Poms, Irish, the Dutch and Germans as well as those expat Poms like myself who have chosen to live here and fairly regularly fly back and forth from the UK.

As an international flight screen scraper, Martin's Money Tips recommends "Travel Supermarket" (http://www.travelsupermarket.com/Link.asp?Source=MSE&Section=FlightFinder).

However,
    "Travel Supermarket" doesn't include Cairns in its drop-down list of six Australian International airports. I don't know why, and have emailed "Travel Supermarket" to find out.

Wouldn't it be brilliant if, one day, "Flight Checker"included international destinations?

• markboucher
    Hi friend , this is markboucher, here also i found some thing on your interest, pertaining to not only travel, but also other category. You can find here so many offers and coupons, which saves your money. Could u please check it, you might get some thing good as this site offers thousands of products at very low prices.

recently i too visited the site and ordered some products few days back, hope so u too visit the sites:

http://www.redtagdeals.com/online-coupons-rebates.php?merid=3264
    • ukmonkey
    • By ukmonkey 29th Jun 06, 1:33 PM
    • 3,004 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    ukmonkey
    After reading this weeks MSE Weekly Email, could someone please bring to Martin's attention that "Sheffield Airport" that he mentioned in his email is an error. The airport that he meant was "Robin Hood Airport" or "Doncaster Airport" as opposed to Sheffield City Airport, which I believe is a private airport.

Thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

10Posts Today

3,375Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin