Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 20th Feb 06, 9:23 AM
    • 8,109Posts
    • 42,244Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Free First Class Train Travel when you fly between London and Manchester
    • 20th Feb 06, 9:23 AM
    Free First Class Train Travel when you fly between London and Manchester 20th Feb 06 at 9:23 AM
    What's the deal?

Fly between Manchester and London, one way or return, on a weekday between 1 February and 31 March 2006 with any airline and Virgin Trains will give you a First Class rail ticket. Virgin's made 10,000 free First Class tickets available for the promotion.

What should you do to get it?

Print off the application form on the Planerelief website here and send it and your boarding card stub to Plane Relief 5, PO BOX 660, Slough, SL1 5PW. You need to apply by 28 April to get it and Virgin says it will issue your free ticket within 30 days of receiving your application providing it fills the criteria.

When can you use the train ticket?

Your free First Class Virgin Trains return ticket will be valid on weekdays on Virgin trains between London Euston and Manchester Piccadilly, Stockport, Macclesfield, Wilmslow, Liverpool, Preston, Crewe, Chester, Runcorn, Wigan or Warrington. You won't be able to break your journeys. You must have your free train ticket with you on your journey. If you use any route other than the one you've reserved you'll be charged extra.

You must use your free ticket by 31 August 2006.

Last edited by MSE Archna; 21-02-2006 at 2:44 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • blue_haddock
    • By blue_haddock 20th Feb 06, 10:31 PM
    • 11,767 Posts
    • 18,423 Thanks
    blue_haddock
    • 20th Feb 06, 10:31 PM
    • 20th Feb 06, 10:31 PM
    They have also been mailing out to business's advertising this offer but including a complimentary pair of tickets to anywhere on their network. We received some at work and i managed to bag them.
    • sockospice
    • By sockospice 21st Feb 06, 12:35 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    sockospice
    • 21st Feb 06, 12:35 AM
    • 21st Feb 06, 12:35 AM
    Some trains have a better first class service than others (eg some full breakfast/hot evening meal, others have a more basic snack and drinks) so aim for peak time trains for the best service - in particular ask to be reserved on a 'Primo' service as that has the best food!
  • waster
    • 21st Feb 06, 11:24 AM
    • 21st Feb 06, 11:24 AM
    They have also been mailing out to business's advertising this offer but including a complimentary pair of tickets to anywhere on their network. We received some at work and i managed to bag them.
    by blue_haddock
    Yep, I got one of these mailings too.

A free pair of Virgin 1st class tickets anywhere on their network to be used by end(?) August. And, the application for the first class ticket if you mail in a boarding pass for Manchester London flight.
    • Loz
    • By Loz 22nd Feb 06, 3:43 PM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 61,527 Thanks
    Loz
    • 22nd Feb 06, 3:43 PM
    • 22nd Feb 06, 3:43 PM
    What's the deal?

Fly between Manchester and London, one way or return, on a weekday between 1 February and 31 March 2006 with any airline and Virgin Trains will give you a First Class rail ticket. Virgin's made 10,000 free First Class tickets available for the promotion.

What should you do to get it?

Print off the application form on the Planerelief website here and send it and your boarding card stub to Plane Relief 5, PO BOX 660, Slough, SL1 5PW. You need to apply by 28 April to get it and Virgin says it will issue your free ticket within 30 days of receiving your application providing it fills the criteria.

When can you use the train ticket?

Your free First Class Virgin Trains return ticket will be valid on weekdays on Virgin trains between London Euston and Manchester Piccadilly, Stockport, Macclesfield, Wilmslow, Liverpool, Preston, Crewe, Chester, Runcorn, Wigan or Warrington. You won't be able to break your journeys. You must have your free train ticket with you on your journey. If you use any route other than the one you've reserved you'll be charged extra.

You must use your free ticket by 31 August 2006.

by MSE Martin
    As originally posted by me on 21st Jan
  • joe_cool_joe
    • 22nd Feb 06, 6:38 PM
    • 22nd Feb 06, 6:38 PM
    I was thinking you could book a jet2 ticket for £19.99 including taxes but it looks like you have to travel as they want your boarding card stub. Maybe I'd do it if I live nearer Gatwick!
    • rm-lewis
    • By rm-lewis 22nd Feb 06, 11:59 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    rm-lewis
    • 22nd Feb 06, 11:59 PM
    • 22nd Feb 06, 11:59 PM
    Does anyone know how many times you can use this to get free tickets? Is it only once per person or is there no restrictions?

Thanks.
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 9th Jul 07, 6:36 PM
    • 9,597 Posts
    • 6,996 Thanks
    Crabman
    • 9th Jul 07, 6:36 PM
    • 9th Jul 07, 6:36 PM
    This offer has now been extended to 31st July 2007
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• travel-exhange
    • 6th Nov 09, 3:06 PM
    • 6th Nov 09, 3:06 PM
    are there still any offers
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

183Posts Today

1,528Users online

Martin's Twitter