Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > What benefits can a mature student claim? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
What benefits can a mature student claim?
Closed Thread
Views: 5,919
# 1
seahorsesrus
Old 20-08-2008, 11:13 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Question What benefits can a mature student claim?

I will be begining a 2 year post graduate course in September.The course is full time .I have two children One of whom has a disability and my husband is on js.I will receive a bursary to assist with 3/4 of my fees.I will have travel costs and hope to get a maintanance grant.I have a mortgage.Am I entitiled to any benefits?I live in Scotland.Any advice please.
# 2
Oldernotwiser
Old 21-08-2008, 8:03 AM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

This will be a difficult question to answer until you know whether you receive a bursary and, if so, how much. Obviously, if it's generous it'll also affect your husband's JSA if this is income based rather than contributions based.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldernotwiser For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
lighton
Old 21-08-2008, 10:56 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahorsesrus View Post
I will be begining a 2 year post graduate course in September.The course is full time .I have two children One of whom has a disability and my husband is on js.I will receive a bursary to assist with 3/4 of my fees.I will have travel costs and hope to get a maintanance grant.I have a mortgage.Am I entitiled to any benefits?I live in Scotland.Any advice please.
Do you recieve carers allowance for your disabled child? If so would it not be a better idea for your partner to claim carers and income support instead of j/s?
This will be reduced when you find out how much the bursary is etc but you may still be entitled to some other benefits like housing benefit i think on interest of morgage and council tax benefit .I think it would be a good idea to ring benefits agency
The Following User Says Thank You to lighton For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
mjwatts59
Old 21-08-2008, 11:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

You can receive a 25% Council Tax discount. As a full-time student you will be exempt so your husband is treated as the only adult in the property, and you get 25% off.You may also get Council Tax Benefit if your husband stays on JSA.You will not be entitled to Housing Benefit if you have a mortgage.
The Following User Says Thank You to mjwatts59 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread