Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > August 2008 Grocery Challenge (Page 47)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
August 2008 Grocery Challenge
Views: 135,440
# 921
mouche
Old 06-08-2008, 1:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Another 1.80 to add to my total - 30p on reduced bread rolls at Asda and 1.50 on the most gorgeous giant cherries at the stall near the station. OH loves cherries and has demanded I bring some more back on my way home from work. I think I'll indulge him this time but after this the tons of apples from the garden need to be eaten.

Any ideas what I can do with the apples? They're not particularly sweet and OH and I are trying to lose weight so the usual apple pie desserty type thing is out of the question.
Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ 171,777.77 (08/08/2014).
MFW target for 2014: 1,518/ 1,236
2014 Challenges
Grocery Challenge: 77.81 (approx.)/175
Make 50 a month: 28.10/100
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to mouche For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 922
Anzac Biscuit
Old 06-08-2008, 1:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Mouche,

how about just stewing the apples? If they need sweetening you can add some raisins, and they freeze well too Or apple crumble, just cut down on the crumble
Getting married 22nd November 2014
Food for 1 (Gluten free)
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Anzac Biscuit For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 923
naturally
Old 06-08-2008, 1:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Mouche - sorry I missed what type of apples, but if you core them, slit the skin all around and bung in the microwave with 1 desertspoon sweet mincemeat it makes a gorgeous desert and not many calories.

A NSD for me - feel mean as I have cash on me and a colleage asked me if he could borrow 2 for a sandwich but I said I had no cash - thing is that 2 makes a lot of difference to me and he's hit and miss about whether or not he pays me back, so I have stopped lending him money. Also several of us have realised we have been generous sharing our food when he forgets his, but he has never offered or returned the favour, so its horrible to be sneaky but I have had to make sure I hide the extra food I have (I usually keep a few yoghurts and cous cous or pasta & sauce at work for when I forget my own!) and now I'm after treating myself to a can of coke from the machine but just remembered I told him earlier I only had 10p so would be busted! doh! Oh well, its more MSE this way I suppose!
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to naturally For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 924
WelshWoofer
Old 06-08-2008, 1:40 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Mouche - I'm in the same boat - trying to lose weight. This week I stewed some unwanted past their best apples with a little bit of sweetener (not sugar) and put some blackberries I'd picked in near the end (they go mushy if you stew them for the same amount of time as the apples). I had it as it was as a fruity desert or you could have it with some low fat yogurt to make it a bit creamy?

Nice and easy.
September grocery spending - 49.13 / 120
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to WelshWoofer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 925
turbo5019
Old 06-08-2008, 1:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Just popped on to update sig. When to MrM's today again but only spent 6 on the 50p items I took my mother with me so we got 4 pks chicken, 4pks burgers & 4 pks sausages. So now I have 80 sausages, 40 burgers and 10pks of chicken. when I put them in freezer I also noticed I still have 20 chicken breasts, 3 pks 1kg mince and enought brad to last till xmas so I don't think I will need anymore meet for a good few months.

Anyone tell me how to make sausage rolls please I have sausages and puff pastery but is there any thing else you put in with the sausages?
GC 60 per week fri to thurs starting 27th April
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to turbo5019 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 926
nicnacnoo
Old 06-08-2008, 1:50 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

68.05 spent today at the meat market, B&M, home bargains and Asda, got plenty tho, plus this includes toiletries and nappies so not bad i think, got loads of pasta and cupboard stuff so should only need fresh stuff for the rest of the month.
Nic
proud to be dealing with my debts

DFD June 2016
May 2016

debt at 150th LBM April 2014-7692.52 May 2014-7287.45
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to nicnacnoo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 927
Chell
Old 06-08-2008, 2:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

How about using the apples in something savoury, perhaps a pork and apple casserole, you could use pork or pork sausages.
Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Chell For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 928
greent
Old 06-08-2008, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo5019 View Post
Anyone tell me how to make sausage rolls please I have sausages and puff pastery but is there any thing else you put in with the sausages?
I don't put anything else in. I skin the sausages and flatten them out a bit to make long sausage rolls. You can add some seasoning if you think the sausages need it (just a bit of black pepper should be fine)

Brush the pastry with milk and cut some slits in along the top - and make sure the join is underneath the sausage, or it can open during cooking

GT
Looking to repay mtge by 12/15 (originally 11/25) Balance 01/09 124616 01/10 104927 01/11 89873 01/12 76317 01/13 52546 01/14 35356 10/14 15267
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to greent For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 929
turbo5019
Old 06-08-2008, 2:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by greent View Post
I don't put anything else in. I skin the sausages and flatten them out a bit to make long sausage rolls. You can add some seasoning if you think the sausages need it (just a bit of black pepper should be fine)

Brush the pastry with milk and cut some slits in along the top - and make sure the join is underneath the sausage, or it can open during cooking

GT
Thanks for that will give it ago tonight
GC 60 per week fri to thurs starting 27th April
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to turbo5019 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 930
wmf
Old 06-08-2008, 2:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Been to |MrM and spent 4.80. Got the 50p chicken, beefburgers and potatoes. I'm going to have to watch myself here though because I haven't bought beefburgers for years and as I said earlier I have packs of sausages in the freezer now (and looked today for 50p ones but luckily for my health they had sold out). I had planned just eating butcher meat but am a sucker for these deals. Ah well, it's helping the grocery budget which \I've cut tight this month. My plan had been to make more veggie meals though. I'll just have to make sure I stretch this meat.
w
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to wmf For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 931
Brighton belle
Old 06-08-2008, 2:33 PM

chell - I love your kiddie pics. My honorary nephew and neice were taught signing by their mum and it was brilliant - as someone else said, they got much less frustrated by being able to 'say' what they needed.

Bit scary that I have spent half my Aug budget in the first 5 days, but I think I have all the basics in and it just means topping up with fruit and veg mainly. This challenge is making me think before i buy, and not automatically top up as soon as I run out. Off to try the curry queens curry sauce this afternoon. And have load of spinach to use from friends allotment.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Brighton belle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 932
KAAT_LADY
Old 06-08-2008, 2:36 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to KAAT_LADY

Good afternoon All

The weather is sticky and it looks like rain but hope not as I have three loads of washing on the line,,

We are going to see GET SMART next monday,, freebie with see film first,, we havent been for a long time so it will make a change and get us out of the rut we are getting into,,

have the BM on at the moment for DH just plain white bread,, I gave to crust of the old loaf to the Koi and they did enjoy it ,, they make the most wonderful noises as they are sucking it ,,,

well I will get off now and get something else done

KAAT
mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
berthas buddies No 5
murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
.,night owl 25

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to KAAT_LADY For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 933
princess leia
Old 06-08-2008, 2:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Lots of business for Mr M from us all then
Altho I didn't need anything I still went in with my mum and ended up spending £5.50 on the 50p stuff for a BBQ at the weekend (just told DH that news LOL) and some yoghurt as I have run out of starters for my easiyo Only problem is now I need to get another freezer asmine is already chocca!!! Ooops
Sealed pot Member target 200 - No. 151
GC Yearly 3k so far 1097 May220/300
1k in 100 days so far - 235
Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to princess leia For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 934
greent
Old 06-08-2008, 2:49 PM

Default Oaty Shortbread Biscuits

An alternative to Twinks! These are less sweet and more crunchy, I think.

Ingredients:
275g/ 10oz oats
100g/ 4oz plain flour
120gm/ 4oz caster sugar (original recipe said 15ogm/ 5oz. I have taken it as low as 80gm)
1/2 tsp bicarb
225gm/ 8oz softened butter/ soft marg

original recipe also said to add 1 tsp salt, but it really doesn't need that AT ALL!

Whizz oats in a food processor until fine (I usually keep some back) Add all other ingredients and mix to form a dough. I then add back in my non blitzed oats.

If you don't have a food processor just mix everything all at once by hand - still works ok.

Recipe says to roll and cut out shapes - I just take blobs and flatten onto a baking tray. Makes about 40 good sized biscuits, about 65 smaller ones.

Bake at gas mark 4/ 180 (170 for fan assisted) recipe says 15-20 mins. I go for about 12! Cook until pale golden and slightly firm.

Keep for about a week in a 'tupperware' box and also freeze well

Gt
Looking to repay mtge by 12/15 (originally 11/25) Balance 01/09 124616 01/10 104927 01/11 89873 01/12 76317 01/13 52546 01/14 35356 10/14 15267
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to greent For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 935
greent
Old 06-08-2008, 2:55 PM

Default Custard Cookies

My kids love these. This was a recipe from their school canteen (always worth asking the school canteen staff for recipes for the kids favourite items!)

INGREDIENTS:
3oz icing sugar 85g
6oz marg 170g
5oz plain flour 140g
2oz custard powder 55g

• Cream icing sugar & marg
  • add flour & custard powder & mix to dough
  • Form into a sausage shape & chill in plastic bag/ cling film for 2 hours
  • remove from plastic and slice into 24 'rounds'
  • place on baking tray & bake for about 10 mins at 180
yum yum - we're going to make these tomorrow.

Gt

Last edited by greent; 28-01-2014 at 8:26 AM. Reason: added gm conversions :)
The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to greent For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 936
mumoffour77
Old 06-08-2008, 3:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Ok, I went shopping today in MR Ts.....I spent 37.15
cheerios were on bogof @2.78 and my kids eat them loads!!!!
I got a couple of chickens too as they were reduced
Gales lemon curd is still on for 20p a jar so I got 5....best before march 2009, probably used well before that!!!!
I bought tesco value oats last week @ 0.59 for 1kg they are still the same price....but beside them was superfast oats 2kg for 1.01 I know its a small saving.....but its still a saving esp for twinks hobnobs or greent's version!!!!
Im going to update my sig!!!!! when i find my spending diary
Im going to be frugal
Im going to be frugal
Im going to be frugal
Beetlejuice Beetlejuice...................
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to mumoffour77 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 937
annelouise
Old 06-08-2008, 3:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via Skype™ to annelouise

greent - thanks for biscuit recipe I have loads of custard powder that needs using before we move so will try these with the kids.

Have just completed Curry Queens curry base,looks good.

Have a chicken ready to roast later with dauphinoise potatoes and veg,will keep chicken for curry and then thaish chicken soup.

OH and dd9 made a lemon cheesecake very successfully with a little pointing from me,had to buy another cream cheese and f & v today will update total after this.Still doing well,OH even told neighbours how well the MSE challenge was going!!!!

annelouise
Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to annelouise For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 938
NW-ANGEL
Old 06-08-2008, 3:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo5019 View Post
Just popped on to update sig. When to MrM's today again but only spent 6 on the 50p items I took my mother with me so we got 4 pks chicken, 4pks burgers & 4 pks sausages. So now I have 80 sausages, 40 burgers and 10pks of chicken. when I put them in freezer I also noticed I still have 20 chicken breasts, 3 pks 1kg mince and enought brad to last till xmas so I don't think I will need anymore meet for a good few months.

sorry if im being a bit dim but what is MrM's? and where do are these 50p item?
many thanks
kel
x
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to NW-ANGEL For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 939
mumoffour77
Old 06-08-2008, 3:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Oh and DS2 noticed a receipt on the floor at the tills and came over to me and whispered "mummy when a receipt says apply for a clubcard today, does that mean the person didnt claim their points?" I said "yes" whilst i was paying for the groceries and DS 1&3 were packing.....I never thought anymore about it until we were back in the car and he produced the receipt that he found and said i think its worth a pound in deals!!!! Im so proud of my money saving child!!!!!
Im going to be frugal
Im going to be frugal
Im going to be frugal
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to mumoffour77 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 940
mumoffour77
Old 06-08-2008, 3:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Mr Ms is Morrisons!!
hope this helps!!
Im going to be frugal
Im going to be frugal
Im going to be frugal
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to mumoffour77 For This Useful Post: Show me >>