Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • MATH
    • By MATH 29th Nov 04, 6:40 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    • 29th Nov 04, 6:40 PM
    Re: Cheapest way to boil a pint of water?????
    • 29th Nov 04, 6:40 PM
    What about the micro? I don't know which is cheaper but wouldn't mind finding out
    • student100
    • By student100 30th Nov 04, 1:19 AM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    student100
    • 30th Nov 04, 1:19 AM
    • 30th Nov 04, 1:19 AM
    My first thought would be an electric kettle, because almost all the energy goes into heating the water whereas if you heat water in a pan on the hob a lot of the energy goes into heating the pan and a lot of heat is lost in the process. But this is just a slightly educated guess

I know gas is a lot cheaper for domestic heating so I suppose it could be cheaper to heat water in a pan that way, it's hard to work it out though. Would have defintely thought an electric kettle is cheaper than using an electric hob though.

Heating water in the microwave can be dangerous, because the water can become superheated and give you nasty scalds. If you're feeling brave, you could work out which is cheaper, microwave or electric kettle, by timing how long the same amount of cold water takes to heat in the microwave and in the kettle, then multiply the time taken by the power (in watts) of your microwave/kettle and compare the results. The smallest number will be the most efficient.
  • mink35
    • 30th Nov 04, 1:25 AM
    • 30th Nov 04, 1:25 AM
    OMG - my brain hurts at this time of night trying to make sense of that! Will have another read tomorrow when I'm more awake!
  • mink35
    • 30th Nov 04, 1:26 AM
    • 30th Nov 04, 1:26 AM
    Oops - I didn't mean your post student100, just the link!
    • 30th Nov 04, 10:46 AM
    • 30th Nov 04, 10:46 AM
    i'm sure its kettles?
    • catznine
    • By catznine 30th Nov 04, 11:35 AM
    • 3,182 Posts
    • 24,464 Thanks
    catznine
    • 30th Nov 04, 11:35 AM
    • 30th Nov 04, 11:35 AM
    Whatever way I boil it I try to save the rest of the water, leftover after making a cuppa, into a thermos ready for the next cuppa. Don't always remember though!
  • Lillibet
    • 30th Nov 04, 12:36 PM
    • 30th Nov 04, 12:36 PM
    I do the thermos thing too ;D Hubby thinks I am bonkers but never mind....
    I use an old-fashioned kettle on the gas hob, doesn't take up valuable counter space that way
    • 30th Nov 04, 12:45 PM
    • 30th Nov 04, 12:45 PM
    i do thermos too, and if i boiling veg, i always boil water in kettle first, then pur over veg on hob.
  • Galtizz
    Knew I'd seen this somewhere else (HERE)

According to Crana9's teacher kettle is best.

I do the same as you 160, boil the kettle to put in the pan to go on the hob. But I do it because I'm impatient not cause it's cheaper, and it's normally aagghh I forgot to put the pasta on and now the sauce is ready hurry up and boil kettle :-[
    yep thats me galtiz, i forget pasta (and rice) til last min all the time.
  • franky
    i do thermos too, and if i boiling veg, i always boil water in kettle first, then pur over veg on hob.
    but would be cheaper to boil in pan for this
    because veg etc would start cooking while water is heating up
    • MATH
    • By MATH 30th Nov 04, 6:35 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    Root veg and things that take a lot of cooking cook quicker by starting them in cold water and letting the pan heat up. Delicate veg that you want to retain the colour of (Broccoli, spinach, fine beans) are better dropped into water already on a rolling boil. HTH
    sorry, i should have clarified, i never do root veg (well rarely) on stove top, i tend to oven cook, so what i do boil on top is brocoli, spinach, cauli etc, which is better in hot as math says.

but yes, root veg prob better off in cold water.
    • Woby_Tide
    • By Woby_Tide 2nd Dec 04, 1:19 AM
    • 5,197 Posts
    • 1,963 Thanks
    Woby_Tide
    unplug your kettle
    go to your neighbours
    say"Oooo my electric seems to have gone off and I'm just waiting for them to come and have a look at whats wrong, you couldn't just boil me a kettle so I can a have a cup of tea while I wait?"
    you cold also maybe add that you ran out of tea bags, milk and sugar and see how far you get

I think thats the cheapest way
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 2nd Dec 04, 2:03 AM
    • 36,818 Posts
    • 33,042 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Keep the kettle descaled: the water will boil quicker. And only boil what you need rather than a full kettle each time. And if your hot water comes from a combi boiler rather than a hot water tank you could let the tap water run hot then fill the kettle. But that might get more expensive if your water is metered, especially if your boiler is a long way from the kitchen.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 2nd Dec 04, 2:07 AM
    • 36,818 Posts
    • 33,042 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Thinking about it, the cheapest way is probably to build a fire in the garden and buy camping kettle. Or one of these from good old Hawkin!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

68Posts Today

4,008Users online

Martin's Twitter