Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > August 2008 Grocery Challenge (Page 41)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
August 2008 Grocery Challenge
Views: 134,524
# 801
EagerLearner
Old 04-08-2008, 8:39 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
That's a great idea - how long do you leave it to 'cook' for? Do you use the low setting? I never thought of trying to do it in the SC before.

Moniker
Hi Moniker & OrkneyStar - I have tried and failed a few times now experimenting with quantities, so you can hopefully learn from my final, final recipe... this is what I follow (now adjusted to use up a whole little tub of starter yoghurt so there is no wastage):

Slow Cooker Yoghurt
Should make around 600g or so
  • 150g pot of yoghurt (the little Yeo Valley ones work well and are £0.55p) - this seems to equate to 5 tablespoons
  • 750ml milk (£0.35p, I use longlife semi skimmed)
  • 2 and a bit tablespoons powdered milk (£0.10)
  1. Make sure slow cooker inner pot is very clean and dry
  2. Whisk all together gently in slow cooker.
  3. Cover slow cooker with a cloth, then the lid
  4. Leave on LOW setting for 1 hour.
  5. Turn off and leave to set for at least 2 hours (I leave it overnight).
  6. IF you like it thicker, in the morning, sieve it through some muslin into a bowl (1.5 hours) and pop into fridge for yummy breakfasts, desserts and to add to curries. (Muslin can be bought very frugaly from ebay in large sheets for around £6ish.)
Then the next time you make yoghurt, you need to use more - 6 tablespoons of this batch #1 yoghurt, and say 2.5 tablespoons milk powder. This way you will hopefully get a tasty 2nd batch. Strengthen even more for batch #3 to stretch it out and keep the live culture strong. Then you need to buy the little pot again and start over.

I love to add my Aldi honey to a bowlful and then sprinkle pine nuts in... or walnuts... or strawberries... folks at work were amazed you could make it at home and loved the taste when I took it in to prove it could be done!

If you want to make Quark (a type of soft cheese) leave it sieving for 24-48 hours with a jar on top, to squeeze aaaaall the liquid out. See Rhonda Jeans recipe in this section of her site:
http://down---to---earth.blogspot.com/search/label/Home%20Cooking
This can then be a savoury soft cheese (homemade Philadelphia imitation anyone?) or a sweet version with say honey and jam...

So not only are you saving cash, you are bringing the slow cooker back to life, being healthy, reducing packaging and travel miles and you know exactly what has gone into what you made...
See my Savings Now Blog My 2010 Free Daily Clicking Earnings: 247.89

Baby EL arrived 12th July
Click for my Budgeting & Debt Spreadsheet recommended by Martin

Last edited by EagerLearner; 04-08-2008 at 8:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to EagerLearner For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 802
Chell
Old 04-08-2008, 8:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAAT_LADY View Post
HELP

does anyone know how I can clean my pan that I burnt,, I have it in soak but it doesnt look good

Its my new pan ,, I have only had it three weeks

KAAT
Put some bicarb in it and scrub it with a cloth.
Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Chell For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 803
Anzac Biscuit
Old 04-08-2008, 9:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Brought lunch to work today, woohoo! I only spent 20p on a banana (really good fruit shop near work).

Getting married 22nd November 2014
Food for 1 (Gluten free)
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Anzac Biscuit For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 804
Chell
Old 04-08-2008, 9:05 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I forget who asked but yes, corriander freezes very well. I always kill the plants you buy from the supermarket so as soon as I buy one I snip all the corriander with scissors and freeze it in a plastic box. It sprinkles out easily when you need to use it. I used the last of what I had today then my Dad came in and said he had loads growing at home, excellent as that will save me a little money.

Today I did HM bean burgers for tomorrow night plus two portions of the mix to freeze (I make them into burgers shapes when I defrost the mix).

I then made Cranks vegetable crumble for dinner which was lovely.

After that I made Twinks Hobnobs with half the sugar but a few raisins. I'm not into raisins but the children love them. The hobnobs were far nicer than the original recipe that I made last week IMO.

My Morrisons shop was only 35.19 but I only meal planned for three days worth of evening meals. I picked up a couple of extra bits for meals next week. I was quite pleased with Morrisons offers such as BOGOF Irish Cheddar, BOGOF tinned chickpeas/kidney beans and BOGOF Branston soya beans or chickpeas in a sauce (for DH work lunch). Country Life butter was 2 for 1.50 which is a good saving. I find that butter is always dearer as I buy unsalted. I also got the salad potatoes for 50p that someone else mentioned.
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Chell For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 805
OrkneyStar
Old 04-08-2008, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelltune View Post
I forget who asked but yes, corriander freezes very well. I always kill the plants you buy from the supermarket so as soon as I buy one I snip all the corriander with scissors and freeze it in a plastic box. It sprinkles out easily when you need to use it. I used the last of what I had today then my Dad came in and said he had loads growing at home, excellent as that will save me a little money.
Chell this used to happen to me to until I realised that it was not me, it was that the pot was too small and plant suffered. You can re-pot into a bigger pot with more compost and voila healthy plant again. Snip every so often and freeze if not needed
Good luck with the c-section I had one with DS last year but as he is my first it was not too bad recovering (although combined with bf'ing I was knackered- sounds like you are organised with food though )
And if our God is for us then who can stand against?
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to OrkneyStar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 806
Cheapskate
Old 04-08-2008, 9:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Location: In my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here!

Hi all

Seem to be a bit over budget already & it's only the 4th!! However, today's tea was homemade soup, using up some veg, dried lentils, etc, only had to buy bread, then apple & blackberry crumble for pud - first brambles of the season! Also made some buns, half in freezer for later in the week when last of biccies gone.

Biggest problem is DS (16) who loves his meat - hard to convince him that there are other forms of protein - any ideas gratefully received!

Bargains today - 3 pkts cow biscuits for 1, 2 tins new Heinz sp. hoops with veg for 1 & jar Brazilian Nescafe for 1 - shopping in shops is new to me so well impressed!...sorry, don't get out much! Also found cheaper bread in local baker's - they sell off yesterday's/Saturday's 1/2 price for toast - what a bargain!

Hoping tomatoes continue to grow - should be enough for 3 or 4 salads, plus some scraggy ones to cook with. Going to try spuds & onios next year - anyone know when I should be planting?

Anna x
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues."
Terry Pratchett (Moving Pictures)

CRAPROLLZ member #20 Cheapskate - Head of Hunting (family membership co-ordinator)
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Cheapskate For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 807
KAAT_LADY
Old 04-08-2008, 9:32 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to KAAT_LADY

Quote:
Bargains today - 3 pkts cow biscuits for 1
cheapskate
What are cow biscuits??

KAAT
mortgage free as of 06/02/2008# berthas buddies No 5,murphys no more pies club member ,No 242...,night owl 25

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to KAAT_LADY For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 808
ragz
Old 04-08-2008, 9:42 PM

mmmm... cow biscuits
or Malted Milk biscuits if you're too grown up!!
Ragz is busy studying
Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to ragz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 809
KAAT_LADY
Old 04-08-2008, 9:48 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to KAAT_LADY

goodnight all
mortgage free as of 06/02/2008# berthas buddies No 5,murphys no more pies club member ,No 242...,night owl 25

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to KAAT_LADY For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 810
always_skint
Old 04-08-2008, 9:49 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hello,
Just updating my signature.
Did a big shop at Mr T today (had run out of everything in freezer thanks to this website and cooking what we had rather than buying!). New total for this month 85.
August Grocery Challenge 98.47/200
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to always_skint For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 811
Moniker
Old 04-08-2008, 9:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrkneyStar View Post
May I ask, what is 'Pin Money'? I have seen it on a few sigs now :rolleyes:
thanks
Pin Money is the money I save when I have BOGOFS or reductions in the supermarket. I only buy these bargains if I am willing and able to put the equivalent cash saved into my Pin Money purse. At the end of each month I transfer the savings into my cash ISA. The amount I have saved is quite high at the moment as I have used the £15 off Waitrose deliver (twice) and had a voucher off a case of wine! HTH

Moniker

PS there used to be a separate PMS challenge thread but it seems to have died out.
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Moniker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 812
OrkneyStar
Old 04-08-2008, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
Pin Money is the money I save when I have BOGOFS or reductions in the supermarket. I only buy these bargains if I am willing and able to put the equivalent cash saved into my Pin Money purse. At the end of each month I transfer the savings into my cash ISA. The amount I have saved is quite high at the moment as I have used the 15 off Waitrose deliver (twice) and had a voucher off a case of wine! HTH

Moniker

PS there used to be a separate PMS challenge thread but it seems to have died out.
Ah, I see, I wish I could afford to do that as its a good idea .
Anyway thats the mascarpone ice cream whipped again so am retiring for the night.
Today WAS a NSD and tomorrow will hoepfully be too .
x
And if our God is for us then who can stand against?

Last edited by OrkneyStar; 04-08-2008 at 9:59 PM.
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to OrkneyStar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 813
Chell
Old 04-08-2008, 9:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrkneyStar View Post
Chell this used to happen to me to until I realised that it was not me, it was that the pot was too small and plant suffered. You can re-pot into a bigger pot with more compost and voila healthy plant again. Snip every so often and freeze if not needed
Good luck with the c-section I had one with DS last year but as he is my first it was not too bad recovering (although combined with bf'ing I was knackered- sounds like you are organised with food though )

Thank you, I had one with DD in 2005. I recovered quicker than I did after DS so called 'normal' birth in 2003.
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Chell For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 814
annaangeluk
Old 04-08-2008, 11:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default OMG!!! How much money wasted????

I've just checed my bank statement for last month and over the whole month I've spent at least £347 in supermarkets ! To make it worse there are quite a few restaurant meals on there and I spent a few days at my mum's so didn't cook/buy food for then etc! What a complete and utter waste of money. I'm really angry with myself. It's an obscene amount of money for just myself, a six year old and a skinny cat!

Def not spending that kind of money this month. I'm setting myself a limit of £120 (school holidays and a very hungry child so it's more than it'll be when she goes back to school!) and I have to stick to it! I've started grocery challanges before but never stuck to it but I've never added up how much money I've wasted before!!

This is the new money saving me!!!!!

Anna x
Joined SW 24/02/2011 71lb/28.5lb
-6, -2.5, -2, -1, -2 -, -2 sow, +3 (holiday), -5.5 (*) +0.5, +1, -4, -0.5(*), -3(10%!!) +0.5, -3, -1, -1(2st)

Last edited by annaangeluk; 04-08-2008 at 11:07 PM. Reason: spelling!! oops!
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to annaangeluk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 815
frugalswan
Old 04-08-2008, 11:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Another small spend day today. I went to Morrisons to get some of their 50p offers, and came back with some other cleaning products as well - so, grand total of £6.02 today. Now to update my sig.
Continually trying the Grocery Challenge. Gotta keep trying!
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to frugalswan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 816
Flylady_Flower
Old 04-08-2008, 11:46 PM

Cool Hi from worn out but smiling in Essex :)

Hi everyone
Just a quick update before I go to bed - would have been another NSD today but hubby 'forgot' to put dinner on for when I got in as he was having his computer fixed and as I had a committee meeting at 8pm, I had to grab some chips to eat, then out the door again for my club meeting - total spend £4.85 for both of us... .

I've been back about 1 hour - grabbed a cuppa, sat down, watched NCIS and quick check on here to try to catch up and unwind before bed - then up and at it again tomorrow - luckily I am LOVING this job so it really is worth it.

Spag Bol tomorrow - OR I'LL SHOOT HIM! hehe , - Bless him, he wants to feel useful and I know he's down at the mo because of work, so I can't nagg too much (yet, anyway... ), but I was really looking forward to coming home to dinner cooked for me tonight too, still, there's always tomorrow... Will be a NSD tomorrow as nothing to get - lunch brought for me at work so should all be good.

Have a great day everyone - will try to catch up tomorrow as more time then, Den x

EDIT: Still not updated all spends at the mo, receipts sitting in my tin ready to be put on - will do asap...
LBM April 2013 - 29,286.08 - aim to pay off in 2 years!
Vanquis CC's 5,823.75 - Debenhams SC 113.06 - A+L OD 800 - Asda CC 884.79
Barclaycard CC's 2,204.11 - BoS CC 7,274.97 - F/D CC 631.64 - Freemans Cat 2,573
F/D Loan 4,213.05 - Santander Loan 2,605.81 - Mum Loan 1,000
RBS OD 1000 - F/D OD 1000
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Flylady_Flower For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 817
Arabellamilla
Old 04-08-2008, 11:49 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi

I'mjust generally an all shiny newbie but I thought I'd jump right in the deep end. (If I'm doing things wrong let me know!)

Right I set my Shopping Budget at 200 Per month.

Can anyone tell me if this includes things bought out like sandwiches etc...
Debt at highest August 08: 4,400
Currently:
August Reductions:
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Arabellamilla For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 818
catnap53
Old 05-08-2008, 12:59 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
did the same recipe that we're all using for the iced fingers but instead of making them into 'finger' shapes, i rolled the dough flat, to about 12" x 12" , brushed on some melted butter/marg, sprinkled about 2tsp sugar all over, then sprinkled quite a bit of cinnamon all over (i like cinnamon!), then spread a load of raisins and dried cranberries all over it, rolled it up into a sausage shape, then cut into ring-slices about 1" thick.

put them on a greased baking tray, flat side down, and have left 'em to rise, then i'll bake them at 180 for about 10-15mins, then put icing on the tops....yummy!!
Made these tonight. Cut the dough in half and made iced buns as normal. Rolled out the rest and spread with butter, sugar and cinnamon. Put raisins on one half (DD likes cinnamon swirls but not Danish with raisins), then rolled cut and baked as above.

Icing on them and ready to eat! Result three different types of bun from the one batch of dough.

The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to catnap53 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 819
hamish222
Old 05-08-2008, 1:22 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I am going to be a bit strange this month and do my budget from 12th Aug until 14th Sept. I get paid on 12th and I am going to Mexico in sept on hols. So decieded that when I get paid will take out 200 pounds and put it in an envelope and this will last me for grocery spends until I go on holiday. Well thats the plan anyway.
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to hamish222 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 820
cammumof3
Old 05-08-2008, 1:28 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default hi

Hi all

I have just noticed I posted on July by mistake.
But I have not been on much as been so busy but can I go for
50 pound a week again please
Caz
July 185.19/200/Aug=170.25//200//sept=81.24/200. 2adults,3 kids + 2 dogs.
my home page=3.45.Sealed challenge pot=NO-276.
BOGOF's=16.94/whoopsi=13.12/vouchers=7.70/Wilko's saving stamp 24 pounds/2 pound pot ?count 1/12/08
Daily Clicks=27.96
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to cammumof3 For This Useful Post: Show me >>