Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Greenfingered MoneySaving > How to kill off grass and persistent weeds betwee... (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How to kill off grass and persistent weeds between slabs? (Merged Thread)
Closed Thread
Views: 13,595
# 21
blue-kat
Old 03-07-2008, 8:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default safer effective way to deal with weeds ?

any tips on safer way to deal with weeds?
our 2 dogs like to graze on the weeds.

we've got a lot of weeds in old cobbled yard and patio above, it's not possible to dig them out.

I've got glyphosphate-based weedkiller in 750ml spray bottles, but it would be exhausting using the trigger bottles and think the coverage would be poor.
is there a better type of spray device?
If we used the weedkiller, I was wondering about spraying it in sections and covering the sprayed area in old carpet to keep the dogs off.

I looked at a fuel weedwand to torch them, but it doesn't look strong enough to deal with a long standing weed problem.

any tips very welcome. thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to blue-kat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
Davesnave
Old 04-07-2008, 8:47 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

An ordinary pressure sprayer with a lance (£15 - 20) will do the job OK. I'm not sure how long you should keep the dogs off the weeds, but I'd guess that after 10 days or so under the carpet they'd be pretty unattractive'food.' Glyphosate works by inhibiting photosynthesis, so it might be counter-productive putting carpet over the weeds; I'm really not sure. A big piece of polytunnel polythene weighed down with bricks might be better.

A further possibility is spraying a test area with vinegar & seeing if that will be effective enough. This is an organic weedkilling solution, but Ive not tried it on cobbled areas etc.

The weed wand has its followers, but I'm not among them. If you are going to live at the property long term, it might be worth investing in a Sheen Flame Gun:

http://www.mower-magic.co.uk/acatalo...lame_Guns.html

Last edited by Davesnave; 04-07-2008 at 8:52 AM.
# 23
A. Badger
Old 04-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

You can get a 5 litre pressure sprayer with a metal lance from Aldi for about 8 and Wilkinsons have something similar, I noticed earlier this week. They're not professional quality but they'll do the job.

As for glyphosate (which is what I would use) you can buy this in 350ml bottles and mix the quantity you need. I bought my last batch from Wilkinsons and it is vastly cheaper to do it that way than keep buying ready-mixed bottles. Quite a few proipriety weed killers, when you actually look at the ingredients, are only glyphosate anyway, so you might as well buy the 'generic' stuff rather than subsidise some manufacturer's balance sheet!

Hope that helps.

# 24
blue-kat
Old 04-07-2008, 10:50 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

thanks Davesnave. plenty for me to consider. I'd rather get the whole yeard done at once, rather than risk dogs injesting weedkiller.

This is our long term home, so thinking about the flame gun. There's a video of using the Sheen Flame Gun, which makes it look a bit complex, and surprised the demonstrator isn't wearing any goggles or gloves.
# 25
paddy's mum
Old 05-07-2008, 10:47 AM

I have the same problem as I also have dogs, a cat, a Welsh Mountain pony and two white geese plus loadsa weeds on the driveway.

I find the safest and most effective way to deal with small areas of weeds is to use boiling water and salt to kill them. Whenever I cook potatoes, pasta or veg, as I drain them out of the pan, I catch the water and hubby simply spreads the near boiling water along the line of weeds. Costs nothing but a few moments of your time since you are using what is essentially a waste product, one that produces the desired result and no toxicity in sight.
The Following User Says Thank You to paddy's mum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 26
blue-kat
Old 05-07-2008, 11:00 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

thanks Paddy's mum, I'll try that with spare 'grey' boiling water and salt. another used water tip: add the cooking water to the dogs' dinners. cheers
# 27
arkonite_babe
Old 05-07-2008, 5:54 PM

We have a thread similar to this already, I'll add your query to it so all the replies are together. Posts are listed in date order so you'll need to read from the beginning to catch up <br><br>
# 28
Garffy
Old 14-07-2008, 2:49 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I just bought a great new Roundup sprayer called pump + go, it was 24.99 but you get £3 back if you send off the coupon. basically you pump it up like a pressure sparyer and then get 3 minutes of spray if you want. So no need to keep squeezing the trigger!
# 29
Davesnave
Old 14-07-2008, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garffy View Post
I just bought a great new Roundup sprayer called pump + go, it was 24.99 but you get 3 back if you send off the coupon. basically you pump it up like a pressure sparyer and then get 3 minutes of spray if you want. So no need to keep squeezing the trigger!
That's OK if you want to donate money to global industrial giant, GM manipulator and general bad boy Monsanto, but there's a lot of people on this forum that wouldn't.

A similar, cheaper and possibly longer lasting solution is to get a decent pressure sprayer with a lance (about 16) and buy generic glyphosate, like the one from B&Q at about 9. I would expect to knock up a lot more than 5 litres with that.

Regardless, you can still mix up your own glyphosate rather than buying Monsanto's expensive refills in the future. Damn difficult being politically correct isn't it?
# 30
kittykat500
Old 15-07-2008, 8:28 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You really don't need any chemicals, vinegar etc. just boiling water as one of the previous posters recommended. I try to reuse the washing up water and re-boil it in a saucepan and then tip carefully over the weeds. I find that this clears the area for a couple of months at least.
The Following User Says Thank You to kittykat500 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 31
Garffy
Old 15-07-2008, 9:55 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesnave View Post
That's OK if you want to donate money to global industrial giant, GM manipulator and general bad boy Monsanto, but there's a lot of people on this forum that wouldn't.

A similar, cheaper and possibly longer lasting solution is to get a decent pressure sprayer with a lance (about 16) and buy generic glyphosate, like the one from B&Q at about 9. I would expect to knock up a lot more than 5 litres with that.

Regardless, you can still mix up your own glyphosate rather than buying Monsanto's expensive refills in the future. Damn difficult being politically correct isn't it?
I dont do politics, just want to get rid of my weeds and the roundup stuff did the job. Your solution is ok if you want to mix up concentrates, but i see that this one from roundup is fast acting and the B&Q stuff isnt! Any for me 5L is plenty and I dont to mess about with sprayers and mixing, I just want to spray the weeds once and know that they will be dead soon.
Thanks for the tip anyway.
# 32
Davesnave
Old 15-07-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Your solution is ok if you want to mix up concentrates, but i see that this one from roundup is fast acting and the B&Q stuff isnt! Any for me 5L is plenty and I dont to mess about with sprayers and mixing, I just want to spray the weeds once and know that they will be dead soon.
Thanks for the tip anyway.
I can't find anything on 'fast acting' Roundup that tells me what the 'fast acting' bit is, The normal stuff takes about 10 - 14 days to work, regardless of who the manufacturer is. The best guess I can make is that now the patent has expired, Monsanto has to find ways to make people buy the brand rather than the generic.

I was just expressing sympathy, because you go out and buy what is essentially a good product, and people like me bang on about the ethics of it!

There are a few concerns about Roundup, notably in the danger it can pose to frogs, and especially Roundup, because Monsanto add other chemicals to their product, which aren't in the generic one. However, against that, we have my anecdotal experience of having vast numbers of frogs despite using some glyphosate.

When I read glyphosate is safe, I feel reassured, but then I think about how the dangers of lead in petrol were denied for years and wonder if vested interests are covering something up!
# 33
Supergirl
Old 16-07-2008, 2:59 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but SALT is a great weed killer.
Pull your weeds out then salt the cracks and it'll stay weed free for months.
I used to salt twice a year.

I also used to make a garlic water spray to spray my plants with to get rid of bugs.

Both inexpensive and ecologically sound ideas.
200 saved for baby things
# 34
Garffy
Old 16-07-2008, 9:09 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
I can't find anything on 'fast acting' Roundup that tells me what the 'fast acting' bit is, The normal stuff takes about 10 - 14 days to work, regardless of who the manufacturer is. The best guess I can make is that now the patent has expired, Monsanto has to find ways to make people buy the brand rather than the generic.

I was just expressing sympathy, because you go out and buy what is essentially a good product, and people like me bang on about the ethics of it!

There are a few concerns about Roundup, notably in the danger it can pose to frogs, and especially Roundup, because Monsanto add other chemicals to their product, which aren't in the generic one. However, against that, we have my anecdotal experience of having vast numbers of frogs despite using some glyphosate.

When I read glyphosate is safe, I feel reassured, but then I think about how the dangers of lead in petrol were denied for years and wonder if vested interests are covering something up!
I asked the shop whats in this Fast Acting roundup and they told me is a plant extract from pelargonium plants [I think], sounds ok to me and it was really quite fast.
Thanks for the sympathy, but its a bit patronising really, even though well intended [no offence meant].
I have tried many ways to kill weeds and apart from digging them up including the roots!!, they keep coming back. So I try to buy the best and most environmental sound one available, not like the old stuff we used to have paraquat and diqat etc....
I have a cat and my garden is full of birds, and I keep my cat in when I use weedkiller and once its dry I let him out again .... I dont see the problem.
# 35
Davesnave
Old 16-07-2008, 9:45 AM

Quote:
I asked the shop whats in this Fast Acting roundup and they told me is a plant extract from pelargonium plants [I think], sounds ok to me and it was really quite fast.
Thanks for the sympathy, but its a bit patronising really, even though well intended [no offence meant].
I have tried many ways to kill weeds and apart from digging them up including the roots!!, they keep coming back. So I try to buy the best and most environmental sound one available, not like the old stuff we used to have paraquat and diqat etc....
I have a cat and my garden is full of birds, and I keep my cat in when I use weedkiller and once its dry I let him out again .... I dont see the problem.
Thanks for the info.
I think you misunderstood my use of the word 'sympathy' and I'm not surprised. The sentence was in the wrong tense anyway because I was dog tired, so it didn't make much sense! I just meant that people come on this forum to talk about weedkiller & then somebody like me starts talking about the ethics of giant chemical companies. I was wrong to do that.
# 36
blue-kat
Old 26-07-2008, 3:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default weed wand supplies

Quote:
An ordinary pressure sprayer with a lance (15 - 20)........

The weed wand has its followers, but I'm not among them. If you are going to live at the property long term, it might be worth investing in a Sheen Flame Gun:

http://www.mower-magic.co.uk/acatalo...lame_Guns.html

I decided to give the Parasene weedwand a trial and it seems pretty good so far.We're heating the weeds rather than burning them, the idea being it messes up the cell structure and the roots exhaust themselves, and die.

The Weedwand is quick to set up, so it's useful if you need to pace activity. I'm doing 10mins of weed flaming several times a day.

The Sheen flame gun looked too heavy duty for me, I'd be petrified to fire it up.

so far, best place I've found to buy butane refills is Wilkos @ 2.79 for the large 650ml cannister.
# 37
Davesnave
Old 26-07-2008, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-kat View Post
I decided to give the Parasene weedwand a trial and it seems pretty good so far.We're heating the weeds rather than burning them, the idea being it messes up the cell structure and the roots exhaust themselves, and die.

The Weedwand is quick to set up, so it's useful if you need to pace activity. I'm doing 10mins of weed flaming several times a day.

The Sheen flame gun looked too heavy duty for me, I'd be petrified to fire it up.

so far, best place I've found to buy butane refills is Wilkos @ 2.79 for the large 650ml cannister.
I think it depends on the size of your yard etc. All the remedies need to be 'targeted' whether chemical or pyrotechnic - I don't believe in just throwing chemicals around wholesale.

I gave my Weed Wand another outing on the block paving last week. It was OK, but I found it painfully slow. I always end up raking out the cracks anyway. (I'd never have another block paved area!)

However, I found another use for the Wand; lighting the barbecue! It was so good at that, I bought another gas canister, unfortunately at B&Q, where, despite a choice of brands, there was no choice on price: 3.48 for the larger one. Our town is too posh for a Wilkos (also read Lidl, Aldi, Poundland, Seconds Ahead etc etc.)
# 38
blue-kat
Old 26-07-2008, 9:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi Dave,
agree it's slow work with the weedwand.
good tip re: using it ot light the barBQ.
Wilkos sell online now - very handy if you're getting a lot of stuff at once. to make the P+P cost worthwhile. I've got wilkos locally but it's worth the cost to get huge planters and masses of compost delivered.
# 39
blue-kat
Old 02-08-2008, 2:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

unfortunately wilkosplus (online) have suddenly stopped selling the parasene butane refill for the weedwnad.
any recommendations where to buy them please?
I'm hoping to get the larger 650ml size.
thanks
Closed Thread