How long do speeding tickets take to come through?

Comments

• cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    bargepole wrote: »
    Don't think so cheesy, it's 14 total days, with the day of the alleged offence counting as day 0.

Thats my understanding too, and it doesn't matter if you ever get it, issueing it is deemed sufficient:confused::confused::confused:
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • pullthepin
    pullthepin Posts: 80 Forumite
    i have my own car with my dad also on the insurance, as i am only 18 i can only get 6 points in the first two years of driving or i get disqualified =( thats like 2 speeding tickets, or one a year which is easy to get really imo. but because my dad is also on the insurance if i get done cna i say he was driving? because he is like 56 and i think he has a clear license
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    pullthepin wrote: »
    but because my dad is also on the insurance if i get done can i say he was driving?
    Only if you want to risk being charged with Perverting The Course Of Justice, which can carry a fine of £000s or even a prison sentence. Just don't go there.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • Reggie_Rebel
    Reggie_Rebel Posts: 5,036 Forumite
    or one a year which is easy to get really imo.

If you stick to the speed limit it's damn near impossible to get any
    It's taken me years of experience to get this cynical
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    or one a year which is easy to get really imo.

If you stick to the speed limit it's damn near impossible to get any

Hmmm, seeing the way some of todays kids drive I'd refute that. Wrong side left warning bollards, up the pavement, stopping on zebra's the list is long to be honest. Hopefully the OP is, and from his posts so far it is suggested, a little more mature,;)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • awacko
    awacko Posts: 341
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    What happens if the car hasn't been registered properly and is still in the previous owners name (and the previous owner doesn't have a record of the current driver or is aware of this until he gets the ticket ) - what happens to the ticket if the current driver commits the offence months not long after buying the car but then eventually registers it properly months later ?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,034
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    awacko wrote: »
    What happens if the car hasn't been registered properly and is still in the previous owners name (and the previous owner doesn't have a record of the current driver or is aware of this until he gets the ticket ) - what happens to the ticket if the current driver commits the offence months not long after buying the car but then eventually registers it properly months later ?

Then you get into the realms of more breaches of motoring regulations. When you sell or buy a car you are obliged to register the new owner within a certain time frame.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    awacko wrote: »

The registered keeper will not be liable for the speeding or the failure to inform (assuming they help the police), but might be charged with failing to notify of change of keeper, whether it would stick or not - I doubt it, if the court was honest, and the RK says they did send the V5. (14 days would apply to the RK for this offence)

The RK would be required to say who they attempted to transfer the vehicle to. The police would then follow that line of enquiry. But as that person was not registered as the RK - (14 days would now no-longer apply assuming 14 days was complied with for the RK above) The police may then use Section 171 RTA 1988 - Duty of the owner to give information as to who was driving - and if not they will be guilty of an offence (failure to identify).

If they claimed to be not the owner of the vehicle, then RTA 1988 S.172 (2)(b) would require *Any other person* to give information as to the driver if it is in his power to do so and when requested - or be guilty of an offence.

BTW it would make no sense for the buyer to register the vehicle late, as the responsibility is upon the seller.
  • pullthepin wrote: »
    i have my own car with my dad also on the insurance, as i am only 18 i can only get 6 points in the first two years of driving or i get disqualified =( thats like 2 speeding tickets, or one a year which is easy to get really imo. but because my dad is also on the insurance if i get done cna i say he was driving? because he is like 56 and i think he has a clear license
    YOU COULD SAY THAT BUT THEN YOU WOULD BE GUILTY OF PERVERTING THE COURSE OF JUSTICE, WHICH IS A LITTLE MORE SERIOUS THAT A MERE SPEEDING FINE, BEARING IN MIND THAT SOME CAMERAS CAN ACTUALLY ID THE DRIVER
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    kelv54 wrote: »
    YOU COULD SAY THAT BUT THEN YOU WOULD BE GUILTY OF PERVERTING THE COURSE OF JUSTICE, WHICH IS A LITTLE MORE SERIOUS THAT A MERE SPEEDING FINE, BEARING IN MIND THAT SOME CAMERAS CAN ACTUALLY ID THE DRIVER

So he could ask for the photo to determine who was driving, then make his mind up on what to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure