Haggle Down Your Holiday Costs Discussion Area

Options
MSE_Jenny
MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312 MSE Staff
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
articlealert2_banner.gif

Hi all, we've written a Cheap Package Holiday guide to help you haggle down holiday prices.

If you've tried the techniques mentioned in the guide, were you successful? How much did you save? (It would be fab if you could include as many details about the holiday as possible, eg, brochure price, savings, location, stars etc.) Is there anything you'd add?

Thanks
for your help!

MSE Jenny

Comments

• Ascot_Ed
    Ascot_Ed Posts: 1,507 Forumite
    Options
    I've gone for the Sandals 2 for 1 deal but through Virgin Holidays. Worth remembering that cashback is available through Quidco (and others?) of 4% and you also get Virgin flyer miles. Cashback tracked and validated at QC in under 12 hours
    So you get the package deal plus cashback plus some loyalty points. You can do similar deals with many of the package company deals including Thomas Cook group and Keycamp/Eurocamp by going through a cashback site.
  • sweetstevie2000
    Options
    :money:Right: Turkey, Kusadassi, all inclusive 5star, one week, 5 adults, two apartments,september 09

Started out at going places £2756 (no inflight meals included, or extra baggage allowance) 2studio appartments, 2 single beds 1 pull out chair.
    next thompson £2678 (no inflight meals included, or extra baggage allowance)2studio appartments, 2 single beds 1 pull out chair.

Thomas cook £2300, special offer on Turkey that weekend, still no inflight meals and extra baggage allowance.........2studio appartments, 2 single beds 1 pull out chair.

Rang Thomas cook online Told them I had shopped around and was looking for a better deal, finally agreed on £2024, with inflight meals, extra baggage allowance, and also 1 studio flat for the couple and a family appartment for me and my hubby and daughter, with interconnecting door, so we all have some privacy.......
    Thanks Martin....you saved me a grand total of £732.00 and all it cost me was about 2 hours and a few phone calls........will certainly be doing that again for next year.
    Don't be shy, be polite, stay calm .......bingo, had them fighting for my money lol:T:jHappy holidays
  • Paxton
    Paxton Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Destination - Florida
    Departing 21st May 2009
    Flying:london To Miami Virgin - Return Flight From Orlando To London
    Staying 3 Nights Naples - Hotel Or Villa
    Staying 3 Nights For Myers Or Port Charlotte - Otel Or Villa
    Staying 5 Nights St Pete Beach - Hotel Sandpiper Or Tradewinds
    Staying 7 Nights Orlando - Villa
    4 Adults And 1 Child Age 11.
    Car Hire Needed. Best Price So Far £4900.00.
  • Paxton
    Paxton Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Paxton wrote: »
    Destination - Florida
    Departing 21st May 2009
    Flying:london To Miami Virgin - Return Flight From Orlando To London
    Staying 3 Nights Naples - Hotel Or Villa
    Staying 3 Nights For Myers Or Port Charlotte - Hotel Or Villa
    Staying 5 Nights St Pete Beach - Hotel Sandpiper Or Tradewinds
    Staying 7 Nights Orlando - Villa
    4 Adults And 1 Child Age 11.
    Car Hire Needed.
    Best Price So Far £4900.00. Really want to book in next couple of weeks but want to get best deal.
  • crank_2
    Options
    i've just rang an internet based company and asked them to beat my quote, they rang back and the price they gave was £50 more than their own internet price! they said baggage was extra and there was a booking fee too

is this normal?
  • delwynshd
    delwynshd Posts: 2,907 Forumite
    Options
    Hello

It is normal yeah its because some internet sites will not included the airline baggage costs, then of course they would add CC fee

What was the holiday that you had found?

Thanks
    Del
    crank wrote: »
    i've just rang an internet based company and asked them to beat my quote, they rang back and the price they gave was £50 more than their own internet price! they said baggage was extra and there was a booking fee too

is this normal?
    I am a Travel Agent

My company’s ABTA numbers are P6046. MSE doesn't check my status as a Travel Agent, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Travel Agent Code of Conduct.
  • leos_nanny
    leos_nanny Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    We only go on european coach holidays ,but cant seem to find any deals ? anyone know where to look ?
  • sloppychops
    sloppychops Posts: 6,742 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    leos_nanny wrote: »
    We only go on european coach holidays ,but cant seem to find any deals ? anyone know where to look ?

www.Travelsphere.co.uk
    http://www.coachholidays.com/
    "Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
  • Charlie_Alty
    Options
    Skiathos one week holiday end June 09, flying from Manchester. Hotel Astoria B&B. Thomson online package price £1,100 for two sharing!

Tried flight-only and direct booking options. Got cost of same down to £748, flying Monarch and using gta hotels site.

Then tried Thomsons again but booking flight and hotel separately. Booked flight at £313 for us both and same hotel for £287. All for a grand total of £600. That's a £500 saving (45%) and the difference is we pay for our airport transfers! It's the same operator and the same flights and hotel!
    :j
  • egyptiangirl
    egyptiangirl Posts: 425 Forumite
    Options
    • Holiday destination: Thomson Cruise 14days Baltic Capitals F/B
    • How much was your first quote and when was it from: Thomson online £1433 each
    • 2nd quote: Thomas cook by phone £1355 each SAVING £78 each
    • 3rd/4th/5th quote: Various cruise companies ranging £1379-1476
    • Final quote: Thomson by phone £1350 each
    • Total saving from first quote: £166
    • And then write your holiday haggling tale Didn't really follow Martin's guidelines but very happy with discount from first online quote by phoning around. :D
    Always on the hunt for a bargain.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure